Visiting other B&Bs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susan

Reaction score
Would you ever post a bad review about another Inn? I just stayed at a place that made me want to leave before we even set our bags down. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls, paint was yellowed and peeling everywhere, all the curtains needed a good washing, there were holes in the wall from the back of the door hooks, openings in the window where the duck tape that held the inadequate a/c unit in the window was peeling away, huge gray cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, old, stained rugs, burnt out light bulbs and bath rooms that desperately needed the old nasty caulk removed. The mattress was way too soft and sagged and the pillows were flat and old. I could go on and on. It was terrible!
My DH called ahead to be sure the place was air conditioned since it was supposed to be over 100 on Saturday and was assured they had central air and window units in the few rooms that "needed a boost". Not! The common areas were horribly hot and all the rooms had window units. Ours never really got cool enough for our liking but it was tolerable - if you didn't want to go in the common areas.
There was a restaurant also and that seemed to be run differently, maybe different managers. The food wasn't fancy but was very good and not included in the room. There were four of us (we went down to visit one of our kids) sat in the dining room and played cards for an hour after dinner was over while the staff cleaned up.
The rates were low, but that seemed status quo for the area. How do you say something to an innkeeper about this when it is soooo bad? I had always said I wouldn't post a negative review on an inn and instead choose to not put anything.

They just don't care. Imagine the consequences if they were doctors rather than innkeepers!
I'll bet the place is for sale and due to the recession they're stuck with it. But you'd think they'd fix it up a little, if not for pride, at least so they could charge a little more!

I would have complained. Definitely give a review somothers will know.
So others will know

Would I, yes... but a very constructive review pointing out what could make the inn so much better than it was. I tried to focus on what would make it a gem instead of a stem.
We stayed one place many years ago that apparently had been reviewed only by backpackers, because to us, it was so bad! Locked heating, broken electrical, marks on the wall over the headboard, odd locks on the doors and the breakfast was prepared individually packaged foods, except for the espresso and clemantines.

Did you say anything to the innkeepers, even an email after the fact? We all complain on here about TA and its anonymity - the fact that a reviewer can complain behind a faceless screen name. If you are going to post a review, it would be much more fair to send the specifics to the innkeeper first and give him/her a chance to respond. Trust me, when you have your turn in the barrel as an innkeeper and get a bad review, you'll wish you had had a chance to discuss it with the guest first.

Is this one that is for sale you visited? If so, I am sure you noticed ten times more than the average guest would have. Innkeepers are the worst guests, I am not sure if I coined that phrase or just repeating it, but we are way more tuned into things that need attention than anyone else.
I would have mentioned a few things that were really bad to the owners/innkeepers. I would honor them in that way, if I am an innkeeper or aspiring. I would never go to TA and slam them.
Edited to add - how were the innkeepers? Pleasant? What about them? Elderly?

Did you say anything to the innkeepers, even an email after the fact? We all complain on here about TA and its anonymity - the fact that a reviewer can complain behind a faceless screen name. If you are going to post a review, it would be much more fair to send the specifics to the innkeeper first and give him/her a chance to respond. Trust me, when you have your turn in the barrel as an innkeeper and get a bad review, you'll wish you had had a chance to discuss it with the guest first..
I certainly agree that you should bring these things to the attention of the innkeeper. If they didn't address them or are disinterested, that's one thing. We do sometimes become blind to certain things that may be glaring to other people.
For example, I have a cupboard that drives me crazy... I want to paint and patch the wall because of all the skuff marks from guest luggage and yet most of the guests don't see it. And recently I put in some new furniture in a room and the guest remarked about how much the room had changed and yet, I don't see it at all... to me the room is exactly the same, somehow.

I would NOT post a bad review. I suppose the folks who go to TA or other sites & post negatives regarding our property assume that they are justified. Just as I'd have preferred that they discuss any issues/problems with me rather than posting on the internet, I'd give other property owners that same courtesy.

What were the circumstances of your visit, Susan? Was it an inn that you have in consideration to buy?
We stayed at a couple of places when we were looking to buy turnkey that really needed some work that would have been very evident to any guest, not just us as prospective buyers, but we didn't write a bad review. And the innkeepers always knew that we were prospective buyers, but we didn't reveal this to other guests. We didn't want to affect a prospective sale.
As a paying guest, I have written "bad" but fair reviews on a couple of B&Bs when the innkeepers were either not available for me to complain to in person, or we had reported problems to them and they basically said that's the way it is, too bad. This was because of the room being dirty (and the room was well over $160/night) or broken furniture, etc. Not just a few minor maintenance items. Travelers have a right to know what they're in for when it comes to dirty or substandard conditions, I believe.

Did you read the TA reviews before you stayed there? Do the innkeepers even know what TA is?? Sounds like they're completely clueless on several fronts - in which case I would not be afraid of posting an honest, objective review at all. You're probably not at risk of offending the aforementioned oblivious innkeepers and you would be doing a favor to future potential guests, alerting them as to what to expect.
Just because you're an (aspiring) innkeeper doesn't mean that you don't have the same privileges that the rest of the traveling public does!

Did you read the TA reviews before you stayed there? Do the innkeepers even know what TA is?? Sounds like they're completely clueless on several fronts - in which case I would not be afraid of posting an honest, objective review at all. You're probably not at risk of offending the aforementioned oblivious innkeepers and you would be doing a favor to future potential guests, alerting them as to what to expect.
Just because you're an (aspiring) innkeeper doesn't mean that you don't have the same privileges that the rest of the traveling public does!.
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Just because you're an (aspiring) innkeeper doesn't mean that you don't have the same privileges that the rest of the traveling public does!
I agree that it's fine to post a review - after all, all of us are allowed to post reviews of other inns (good or bad) when we've stayed at them, regardless of our status as innkeepers. We are travellers, too. I just think it would be nice to be the kind of guest we'd like to have - one who would alert us to problems before they write a negative review.
Let me just say, I've had an innkeeper stay here - taking full advantage of my 'to the trade' discount - and then write a snarky review complaining of things he did not mention to me, and making some completely false statements. That's not cool.

Just because you're an (aspiring) innkeeper doesn't mean that you don't have the same privileges that the rest of the traveling public does!.
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I agree that it's fine to post a review - after all, all of us are allowed to post reviews of other inns (good or bad) when we've stayed at them, regardless of our status as innkeepers. We are travellers, too. I just think it would be nice to be the kind of guest we'd like to have - one who would alert us to problems before they write a negative review.
Let me just say, I've had an innkeeper stay here - taking full advantage of my 'to the trade' discount - and then write a snarky review complaining of things he did not mention to me, and making some completely false statements. That's not cool.
muirford said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Agree wholeheartedly. That is why I say innkeepers can be the worst guests. Much more critical than the avg person. Everyone is, of course, entitled to write a review whenever or wherever they want. But this is an innkeepers forum, so my reply is always in light of that fact.
Were the innkeepers dear old sweet things? And the place just went to pot? This is what I personally want to know. I might seem tough - stop laughing - but I know how it is, I have been to inns where they had deferred maintenance, another reason they were for sale, they couldn't handle it all, expense or physically. I won't write anyone a bad review, unless it was something I deemed very extreme. I might give a hotel 3 or 4 bubbles and then highlight the good things. That is just me.
Although the poster here said she wanted to leave the moment they arrived, so had to be pretty bad.

Aussie Innkeeper said:
muirford said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Agree wholeheartedly. That is why I say innkeepers can be the worst guests. Much more critical than the avg person. Everyone is, of course, entitled to write a review whenever or wherever they want. But this is an innkeepers forum, so my reply is always in light of that fact.
Were the innkeepers dear old sweet things? And the place just went to pot? This is what I personally want to know. I might seem tough - stop laughing - but I know how it is, I have been to inns where they had deferred maintenance, another reason they were for sale, they couldn't handle it all, expense or physically. I won't write anyone a bad review, unless it was something I deemed very extreme. I might give a hotel 3 or 4 bubbles and then highlight the good things. That is just me.
Although the poster here said she wanted to leave the moment they arrived, so had to be pretty bad.
Guests have no way of knowing (and yes, they care not) the circumstances. We have inn-mates post about kids or guests who peeled off wall paper. Perhaps matching paper was not available or has not come in to fix a peeling wallpaper issue. And no one has ever missed a cobweb (I once had a guest write me a long complaint letter citing cobwebs on the porch - as long as the spiders stay outside I am cool with it). I KNOW things went to hell in July 2007 when I had a revolving door of guests, an Aspiring Seminar contract, and a Conference to staff a table for - all while DH was in hospital or rehab with his 6-way bypass. My grass was so bad that the bookkeeper at the plumbing shop who walked by every day came over with her granddaughter and cut my grass. So I tend to be a bit on the forgiving side because I do not know what others may be dealing with. yes, I do want clean but if it is really, really bad I think a word to the innkeeper is in order - as in, "I am sorry but it appears your housekeeper missed my room today. Is there another room available? If not, we CAN step out for dinner while it is cleaned."

I would post a review. Why not? If they were that bad, then others need to know as well. If it were minor stuff, I wouldn't bother..but big problems should be addressed. But then, maybe they don't even care:-(

I would say if you popped onto trip adviser and there was a ton of people saying the same thing I wouldn't bother I have this situation with my next door neighbour it is all over trip adviser how bad it is ie over 100 reviews so why people bother putting new ones on baffles me seems a bit moot. however if there is nothing then I would try and be as constructive as possible.

Here's my take on it (and what I ask of our guests): If we did something wrong, please let us know first so that we can fix it. If we did something good, feel free to tell the world.

Aussie Innkeeper said:
muirford said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Guests have no way of knowing (and yes, they care not) the circumstances. We have inn-mates post about kids or guests who peeled off wall paper. Perhaps matching paper was not available or has not come in to fix a peeling wallpaper issue. And no one has ever missed a cobweb (I once had a guest write me a long complaint letter citing cobwebs on the porch - as long as the spiders stay outside I am cool with it). I KNOW things went to hell in July 2007 when I had a revolving door of guests, an Aspiring Seminar contract, and a Conference to staff a table for - all while DH was in hospital or rehab with his 6-way bypass. My grass was so bad that the bookkeeper at the plumbing shop who walked by every day came over with her granddaughter and cut my grass. So I tend to be a bit on the forgiving side because I do not know what others may be dealing with. yes, I do want clean but if it is really, really bad I think a word to the innkeeper is in order - as in, "I am sorry but it appears your housekeeper missed my room today. Is there another room available? If not, we CAN step out for dinner while it is cleaned."
There's a difference between a missed cobweb (after all, spiders work 24/7 and we don't) or a small piece of wallpaper that just won't stay put and something like nasty carpeting, a coffee pot so dirty that it's stuck to the burner, or moldy shower curtains/no slip bath mats. If you try reporting these issues to the innkeeper and they just shrug them off, it's pretty obvious that they must not care. So, writing a review to warn other folks that only see a gleaming website, seems to be the only action left if you're paying good money to stay somewhere. My money can be just as dear to me as anyone else's.

Aussie Innkeeper said:
muirford said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
There's a difference between a missed cobweb (after all, spiders work 24/7 and we don't) or a small piece of wallpaper that just won't stay put and something like nasty carpeting, a coffee pot so dirty that it's stuck to the burner, or moldy shower curtains/no slip bath mats. If you try reporting these issues to the innkeeper and they just shrug them off, it's pretty obvious that they must not care. So, writing a review to warn other folks that only see a gleaming website, seems to be the only action left if you're paying good money to stay somewhere. My money can be just as dear to me as anyone else's.
Samster said:
Of course there are differences between grunge and missed. My point that I was trying to make is first of all there are sometimes circumstances that create "slippage" but also the eyes of the beholder makes a difference. The guest I referred to left me a 5-page letter about my deficiencies while I was getting raves from other guests. I do not claim to be the best innkeeper (or housekeeper) in the world, but to tell me robes that were almost new looked "tired" and some of her other complaints were just off the wall. What most people will not notice can be "beyond the pale" for someone else. Speaking to the innkeeper at the time is still the best way to handle things. THEN if it is not resolved, write whatever.

As always we get the post and run on this forum, perhaps after some amount of time, we will hear the rest of the story. Sorry to sound so negative, but this is what always occurs here, we offer feedback and then null and void on their end. We shall see.
I wanted to know about the innkeepers, that is foremost in my mind. God forbid someone use my spiderwebs against me, I am a mere human, and cannot do it all here. So I hope they were treated well and in some weird way they can overlook some of the deficiencies before we all end up in straight jackets.
New drainage pipe installed, this meant digging a 200 foot ditch from the back of the property to the front by DH in the heat - after his 50 hour a week real job, area behind cottage was dug up and still dup up, brick work in piles, I put an orange cone out there to try to prevent guests from going back there. That was, hm 3 months ago. Mulch pile in parking lot, nearing on 2 months, it is moved wheel barrow by wheelbarrow full, husband is near to a heart attack from all the labor around here.
Just sharing this as it is beyond my control. I am but one person here. Had to get DH ticked off to finally move more of the mulch, in his ire. Why have it delivered in our peak season? Doesn't matter, he is he and I am me, he will do what he wants to do. This is how it is when you own and operate a B&B. (Just sharing this, it is easy to write a TA review and nit pick and never know more than a one night stay and what you perceived, this is why I would mention it if it is a big deal, otherwise move on.)
Like people on farms say "This is an operating farm" so excuse the mess. It happens.

Back