Vote "NO Doily!" | Doily Decision 2012

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
(Glad we could invent the doily craze for BWTS) :) This is edgy enough to not cross the line, me thinks.
Vote "NO Doily!" | Doily Decision 2012
VIDEO HERE
http://www.betterwaytostay.com/doily-campaign[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] | MOVE OVER PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES, IT'S TIME FOR A MORE IMPORTANT VOTE. Now is the time to put Presidential politics aside. The destiny of the doily is at stake.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]The Better Way To Stay campaign asks all loyal Americans and Canadians to choose their party -- Pro Doily or No Doily -- in Doily Decision 2012, a ground-breaking popular vote sure to guide legislation into the future.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]The No Doily party maintains doily reform is long overdue, with doily anarchy having gone on long enough at inns and B&Bs. "Death to Doilies" is the cry of the No Doily Party promising to support capital punishment for doilies and vowing to put an end to doily excess, while eliminating doilies from every bureau in the country.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Cast your vote for change. Head to [/COLOR]http://www.BetterWayToStay.com/doily-campaign[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] and vote NO Doily to get a list of North American inns and B&Bs that fit your modern lifestyle.[/COLOR]
At least there are PRO DOILY advocate inns listed here

Haha - that's funny! We use them sparingly, but they're part of the Victorian history that goes with our Inn. We mostly put paper ones on platters when we serve evening snacks. There's a few on some of the antique dressers and hutches to protect them. No overkill here!

And where are the independants? Those of us that mix the old with the new, may have a few doilies but does not over crowd or over do it... does not force this issue of doilie dependance?
I say, why do we have to belong to one or the other? Think INDEPENDANT!
teeth_smile.gif

Disclaimer: This all being said regarding THIS thread, not to be confused or mistaken for my voice on any other issue!

And where are the independants? Those of us that mix the old with the new, may have a few doilies but does not over crowd or over do it... does not force this issue of doilie dependance?
teeth_smile.gif

Disclaimer: This all being said regarding THIS thread, not to be confused or mistaken for my voice on any other issue!.
Independants are ignored - you are one or the other or you do not exist on either list.

teeth_smile.gif

Disclaimer: This all being said regarding THIS thread, not to be confused or mistaken for my voice on any other issue!.
Independants are ignored - you are one or the other or you do not exist on either list.
You can list yourself as doily neutral.
I wonder if that means that you are actually a closet doily supporter?

teeth_smile.gif

But doily neutral does not get on a list they are going to publicize. Doily neutral will just not be there.

teeth_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
You see I am like the Confederate Army of the USA, formed because I just don't like being told what to do.
shades_smile.gif
Whether I like doilies or not is not the issue. haha
I am a "hands of my doilies" inn. Is there a category for that? A confederate flag covered in a doily.
The Doily Invasion
Like the old man who wrote into our local paper and said when the "northuhners" (his term) went to the council meetings to inact a sound ordinance...he wrote and I quote "If I feel like playing my banjo on my front porch at midnight, then ima gonna play it!"
I loved that old man, whoever he was.

teeth_smile.gif

But doily neutral does not get on a list they are going to publicize. Doily neutral will just not be there.
gillumhouse said:
Doily pacivists.
teeth_smile.gif

or should it be Doily Conscientious Objectors. Save the doily or free the doily?

teeth_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
You see I am like the Confederate Army of the USA, formed because I just don't like being told what to do.
shades_smile.gif
I am a "hands of my doilies" inn. Is there a category for that? A confederate flag covered in a doily.
The Doily Invasion
Like the old man who wrote into our local paper and said when the "northuhners" (his term) went to the council meetings to inact a sound ordinance...he wrote and I quote "If I feel like playing my banjo on my front porch at midnight, then ima gonna play it!"
We homeschool- I was told the other day that I am 'anti-establishment' :) Made me laugh. I just don't like being told what to do.

teeth_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
shades_smile.gif
The Doily Invasion
I bet you love that old man playing his banjo at midnight as long as he is not staying YOUR place!
wink_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
shades_smile.gif
The Doily Invasion
I bet you love that old man playing his banjo at midnight as long as he is not staying YOUR place!
wink_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
wink_smile.gif
You don't know me very well do you.
teeth_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
shades_smile.gif
The Doily Invasion
wink_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
wink_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Silverspoon said:
wink_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
Speaking of music playing on the porch @ midnight.... That has been the norm here the last 3 nights. When the group checked in (taking all my rooms) and saw the porch they all said this is the spot. Of course after asking if it was ok for them to set up a music spot. On the first evening, on my last go round before heading to bed, they stopped me and asked if they were being too loud. I figured if I could not hear them in my room, they should not cause an issue with the neighbors for sure (not close). They have been having a jam session every night.

teeth_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
shades_smile.gif
The Doily Invasion
wink_smile.gif

She would probably be egging him on!

Does anybody but me think this PR might backfire?.
Innkeep said:
Does anybody but me think this PR might backfire?
I think so, too. Why alienate anyone? I have precisely one doily. I made it myself. It's on top of the antique radio in the front hall, under a lamp. Very inconspicuous, actually. There aren't any elsewhere, although there are some of those decorative table toppers with the cut out embroidery.
So, am I doily neutral? Does the presence of one make me pro-doily?
I personally (but strongly) feel that each inn's decor should match the style of the building and the innkeeper. That is, a Victorian house should have doilies, not Ikea, and a southwestern adobe home should have southwestern decor, not Amish. So some homes NEED doilies, and some shouldn't have a single one.
And like Penelope... don't tell me what I should or should not do!!!! That's why I have my own business, for Pete's sake!
=)
Kk.

Does anybody but me think this PR might backfire?.
Innkeep said:
Does anybody but me think this PR might backfire?
I think so, too. Why alienate anyone? I have precisely one doily. I made it myself. It's on top of the antique radio in the front hall, under a lamp. Very inconspicuous, actually. There aren't any elsewhere, although there are some of those decorative table toppers with the cut out embroidery.
So, am I doily neutral? Does the presence of one make me pro-doily?
I personally (but strongly) feel that each inn's decor should match the style of the building and the innkeeper. That is, a Victorian house should have doilies, not Ikea, and a southwestern adobe home should have southwestern decor, not Amish. So some homes NEED doilies, and some shouldn't have a single one.
And like Penelope... don't tell me what I should or should not do!!!! That's why I have my own business, for Pete's sake!
=)
Kk.
This ironically is the same conversation I was having with a friend of mine who is a jeweller (ie independent business but not same industry) I said for example a B&B near us does refreshments when you come and you sit with the innkeeper and have cake etc I myself don't do this but I said my point being I would never criticise anyone that does this the whole point is that we are all different and appeal to slightly different markets otherwise we might as well all go work for the holiday inn and be done with it. WE ARE NOT ALL MEANT TO THE BE THE SAME! this is the purpose of the exercise! For example that particular BB appeals to the older demographic and they do very well with it no trouble with rough guests and noise as they all tend to be in the over 50 bracket etc I can certainly see the appeal of those type of guests and marketing to them.

Back