waffles

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do as Madeleine and cut them in fours along the lines. Then we stack three diagonally and add other things on the plate. We wanted to include eggs & a meat, because I know I can't function from just a carb waffle for breakfast. I need protein. So, three waffles serves 4 people. Goes a little farther..
Boy do I love me a carb breakfast! When we have pancakes or FT here I am in heaven.
There are a couple of places in town where it's 'all you can eat' and they offer 3-4 different entrees each morning. And guests order all of them. Which always makes me think we're not serving enough food even tho we fill a 12" dinner plate!
This is AFTER you've been offered muffins and fruit and something else I'm drawing a blank on.
Yeah, but how much of it is crap food? Food that is cheap to produce, burns fast but has no nutrition whatsoever. Food that has salt as it's main taste with artificial flavours.
It always amazes me how much crap food people will eat. To me, pasta is just crap food. It's super cheap to produce, super filling too. Body burns it like pure sugar, so it gives you that instant "high" and yet it's got almost no nutrition at all. Same with that fluffy white bread.
Serious junk food. Croissants, pancakes, french toast made with white bread. Love it all.
Had a guest here once who didn't touch her food at all. She never mentioned food restrictions but everything on her plate was something she would not eat. She wouldn't touch the panna cotta - milk product. Wouldn't eat the sausage - greasy pork product. Wouldn't eat the FT - white bread product. I think she ate the fruit.
I feel really sorry for guests who can't let go of their food issues for a moment. Geez louise, just stay home. Or go to the diner and order what you want. (Not talking about people with food allergies, just food nazis.)
Yeah, but take my word for it that the food you are serving is way above the commercial crap that any AYCE place will likely have. They have no labelling laws, so the FT is made with egg product or worse, powdered eggs, artificial maple flavour and likely some sort of HFCS syrup. That pork sausage is likely made at a third grade processor and filled with all kinds of fillers to make the target price. It all has a shelf life just shy of the apocalypse or some of it likely beyond.
What you make in FT likely has nothing artificial, used real eggs, milk or cream and store bought bread. You know the reason that you can't produce a perfect fast food burger at home? Because we can't get ground dairy cow, artificial flavours, we automatically use real onion instead of dehydrated onions that we resuscitate in water, etc.
But yes, I do agree that we sometimes have people who forget that they are on vacation. It's one thing when you have an allergy or intolerance. It's entirely another when you go ahead and book a lovely B&B and then forget the what makes it all worth it is breakfast.
I get so many guests with astonishment in their voice ask "you make this"? Uhhhh....yeahhhh...all this stuff is homemade. I really think that most people eat so much processed foods, that homemade is a delicacy anymore!
And that's exactly what our selling point should be. Even my jam is homemade. And it's easy enough to prove, you can hardly get a jam that isn't single fruit anymore, never mind jams that have other flavours in them. Cherry jam is nice... you can buy it at the store. Cherry & Almond jam... not available at the store.

We do as Madeleine and cut them in fours along the lines. Then we stack three diagonally and add other things on the plate. We wanted to include eggs & a meat, because I know I can't function from just a carb waffle for breakfast. I need protein. So, three waffles serves 4 people. Goes a little farther..
Boy do I love me a carb breakfast! When we have pancakes or FT here I am in heaven.
There are a couple of places in town where it's 'all you can eat' and they offer 3-4 different entrees each morning. And guests order all of them. Which always makes me think we're not serving enough food even tho we fill a 12" dinner plate!
This is AFTER you've been offered muffins and fruit and something else I'm drawing a blank on.
Yeah, but how much of it is crap food? Food that is cheap to produce, burns fast but has no nutrition whatsoever. Food that has salt as it's main taste with artificial flavours.
It always amazes me how much crap food people will eat. To me, pasta is just crap food. It's super cheap to produce, super filling too. Body burns it like pure sugar, so it gives you that instant "high" and yet it's got almost no nutrition at all. Same with that fluffy white bread.
Serious junk food. Croissants, pancakes, french toast made with white bread. Love it all.
Had a guest here once who didn't touch her food at all. She never mentioned food restrictions but everything on her plate was something she would not eat. She wouldn't touch the panna cotta - milk product. Wouldn't eat the sausage - greasy pork product. Wouldn't eat the FT - white bread product. I think she ate the fruit.
I feel really sorry for guests who can't let go of their food issues for a moment. Geez louise, just stay home. Or go to the diner and order what you want. (Not talking about people with food allergies, just food nazis.)
Yeah, but take my word for it that the food you are serving is way above the commercial crap that any AYCE place will likely have. They have no labelling laws, so the FT is made with egg product or worse, powdered eggs, artificial maple flavour and likely some sort of HFCS syrup. That pork sausage is likely made at a third grade processor and filled with all kinds of fillers to make the target price. It all has a shelf life just shy of the apocalypse or some of it likely beyond.
What you make in FT likely has nothing artificial, used real eggs, milk or cream and store bought bread. You know the reason that you can't produce a perfect fast food burger at home? Because we can't get ground dairy cow, artificial flavours, we automatically use real onion instead of dehydrated onions that we resuscitate in water, etc.
But yes, I do agree that we sometimes have people who forget that they are on vacation. It's one thing when you have an allergy or intolerance. It's entirely another when you go ahead and book a lovely B&B and then forget the what makes it all worth it is breakfast.
I get so many guests with astonishment in their voice ask "you make this"? Uhhhh....yeahhhh...all this stuff is homemade. I really think that most people eat so much processed foods, that homemade is a delicacy anymore!
And that's exactly what our selling point should be. Even my jam is homemade. And it's easy enough to prove, you can hardly get a jam that isn't single fruit anymore, never mind jams that have other flavours in them. Cherry jam is nice... you can buy it at the store. Cherry & Almond jam... not available at the store.
Do you have difficulties with the health department over your homemade jam? Do you make it available for purchase by guests?

Do you have difficulties with the health department over your homemade jam? Do you make it available for purchase by guests?
We aren't required to have the health department over, we are considered residential. We are required to take the food serving and safety course. I do make a few jars available for guests.

We aren't required to have the health department over, we are considered residential. We are required to take the food serving and safety course. I do make a few jars available for guests.
Wait . . . what??? No health department? I've heard tales, but I just thought I was being spoofed. ;-)

Breakfast Diva said:
My Mom baked all ourt bread. We used to envy the kids that got to eat "store-bought bread". All we ever got was homemade. Fools that kids are.

Wait . . . what??? No health department? I've heard tales, but I just thought I was being spoofed. ;-)
IronGate said:
Health and safety issues are examples of how much variation there is from one place to another. Although my county Health Department drives me to distraction when inspecting the kitchen, they don't even look at the guest rooms. Knock on wood, I also haven't had any fire marshals here since I opened.

IronGate said:
Health and safety issues are examples of how much variation there is from one place to another. Although my county Health Department drives me to distraction when inspecting the kitchen, they don't even look at the guest rooms. Knock on wood, I also haven't had any fire marshals here since I opened.
One inspection every two years. They make me pay for it, too. They never step into the kitchen, but go from room to room, remeasuring each time, as if the rooms sizes have changed.

IronGate said:
One inspection every two years. They make me pay for it, too. They never step into the kitchen, but go from room to room, remeasuring each time, as if the rooms sizes have changed.
Remeasuring? What's up with that? What are they looking for?

Breakfast Diva said:
My Mom baked all ourt bread. We used to envy the kids that got to eat "store-bought bread". All we ever got was homemade. Fools that kids are.
My DH is quite a bit younger than I am. We were having a conversation the other day about fast food and how much it's a normal part of most people's everyday lives. I told him that we didn't even have any fast food places until I was almost out of high school and it was 1 KFC, then a little while later 1 McD's. They both were about a 15 minute drive, so not too much 'fast' in 'fast food'. He couldn't believe it, because in the 10 years age difference, his experience as a kid was so different. Fast food places were everywhere.
Where we live now, the closest fast food to us is a 25 minute drive and there is NO delivery to our location from anyplace. Sometimes I miss the convenience, but I'm definitely healthier for it!

Breakfast Diva said:
My DH is quite a bit younger than I am. We were having a conversation the other day about fast food and how much it's a normal part of most people's everyday lives. I told him that we didn't even have any fast food places until I was almost out of high school and it was 1 KFC, then a little while later 1 McD's. They both were about a 15 minute drive, so not too much 'fast' in 'fast food'. He couldn't believe it, because in the 10 years age difference, his experience as a kid was so different. Fast food places were everywhere.
Where we live now, the closest fast food to us is a 25 minute drive and there is NO delivery to our location from anyplace. Sometimes I miss the convenience, but I'm definitely healthier for it!
I remember the very first 'fast food' I ever had. I was fairly young, maybe 6-7 and it was a White Castle hamburger. Apparently the 'in thing' for the crowd my parents hung around with after a night of drinking (something they didn't get to do any more with a rugrat hanging on their ankles!)
The hamburger had onions and I didn't like onions at the time so my next 'fast food' was McD's 10 years later. (I'm pretty sure there were a couple of hot dogs in there somewhere at the beach or something, but the White Castle burger sticks in my head.)

Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Where did you grow up BD?
I remember Dad getting paid on a Friday and us getting a bucket of KFC with southern biscuits, those were the only biscuits I had ever had. Now I am in biscuit-heaven. :)

Breakfast Diva said:
I remember the very first 'fast food' I ever had. I was fairly young, maybe 6-7 and it was a White Castle hamburger. Apparently the 'in thing' for the crowd my parents hung around with after a night of drinking (something they didn't get to do any more with a rugrat hanging on their ankles!)
The hamburger had onions and I didn't like onions at the time so my next 'fast food' was McD's 10 years later. (I'm pretty sure there were a couple of hot dogs in there somewhere at the beach or something, but the White Castle burger sticks in my head.)
In Chicago they are called sliders. They now sell sliders frozen and ship them all over. I think they even have a White Castle in Pittsburgh now. I always thought that was a Chicago chain.

Breakfast Diva said:
DH remembers the very FIRST McD in Des Plaines. I was in high school when McD, Winkie's, BK came to Steubenville.
The owner of the company where DH worked for almost 20 years (his first job) told the story about his neighbor offered hi 50% of his new venture for $50,000. Malcolm HAD the $50k, no sweat. But he said to his neighbor, 'Ray, no one will ever drive somewhere, get their food, and eat it in the car." Ray Kro ch was his neighbor. Malcolm said it was the stupidest mistake he ever made.

IronGate said:
Remeasuring? What's up with that? What are they looking for?
Darned if I know. Ever time they do the inspection they remeasure each room. The whole system is supposed to keep their personal likes or dislikes out of it. We have to recount the number of light sources in each room each time. Show the alarm, etc. Every inspection.

Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I remember Dad getting paid on a Friday and us getting a bucket of KFC with southern biscuits, those were the only biscuits I had ever had. Now I am in biscuit-heaven. :)
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I grew up in the very white burbs of the SF east bay. There was 1 Chinese (American) restaurant and everything else was white bread, middle class bland. When I go back now, I see how it has changed dramatically! A melting pot with lots of different ethnic people and food. It's terrific.

I would love to make waffles for my guests. However, my challenge is that I serve everyone a plated breakfast at the same time (to as many as 10) and I can't figure out a satisfactory way of keeping all the waffles warm till I'm ready to plate them.
Any suggestions? I mean, they either get too dry/crisp or soggy.
confused_smile.gif

I would love to make waffles for my guests. However, my challenge is that I serve everyone a plated breakfast at the same time (to as many as 10) and I can't figure out a satisfactory way of keeping all the waffles warm till I'm ready to plate them.
confused_smile.gif
We usually do the waffles only when we're not really busy. So up to 3 rooms. But we don't serve them all at once.

confused_smile.gif
what works for us is Waffles on a cookie tray covered with a damp! cloth. Keep my oven at warm temp. Not hot hot just nice and warm.

Back