Wages

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Day

Reaction score
I know wages had been discussed.......thought you'd like to know what the U.S. Dept of Labor thinks wages are supposed to be under the "Service Contract Act" under the direction of the Secretary of Labor
Catagory 1100 - General services and support occupations
Subcatagory 11122 - housekeeping aids....................rate $15.70
Subcatagory 11240 - maid or houseman ....................rate $13.68
Catagory 23000 - Mechanics and maintenance and repair occupations
Subcatagory 23370 - general maintenance worker............$24.67

what's the difference between a housekeeping aid and a maid? other than 2 bucks?

my guess is............housekeeping is more the grunt work...........maid is less grunt work?

Interesting, because what the state records as actual PAID wages is a little more than half that. Altho, if you are in a high tourist area you can get more. Which means some are getting minimum wage.

And to think that here in Miami, the boat yard charges me $100/hour for a guy who doesn't even speak English to scrape barnacles off the bottom of the boat with a shovel.

Folks would sure like to get those kind of wages here for those jobs, but it isn't happening any time soon!

I try not to think about wages. We're "retired" from very well paying jobs and would be on welfare if we didn't have our pensions. Most of us do this because WE WANT TO, because obviously there are other ways to make money that are more lucrative.

I try not to think about wages. We're "retired" from very well paying jobs and would be on welfare if we didn't have our pensions. Most of us do this because WE WANT TO, because obviously there are other ways to make money that are more lucrative..
I'd like to try to the same Tex.......I'm trying to advance my time table
I absolutely love where I live........a 3-3.5 hour driving radius, there is everything anyone could want. Beaches, Skiing....Winneries, farms, Atlantic City, Mohegan Sun and the other one. Pro sports venues. NYC with all it has to offer.....I get anything I could possibly think of or ever want with the magnitude of shopping that is available here.....and the 4 seasons, where none seem to be all that long.
Problem......cost........sick and tired of the liberalism that has driven living costs higher and higher.....I could go into lengthy specifics. This is not the place.

I try not to think about wages. We're "retired" from very well paying jobs and would be on welfare if we didn't have our pensions. Most of us do this because WE WANT TO, because obviously there are other ways to make money that are more lucrative..
I'd like to try to the same Tex.......I'm trying to advance my time table
I absolutely love where I live........a 3-3.5 hour driving radius, there is everything anyone could want. Beaches, Skiing....Winneries, farms, Atlantic City, Mohegan Sun and the other one. Pro sports venues. NYC with all it has to offer.....I get anything I could possibly think of or ever want with the magnitude of shopping that is available here.....and the 4 seasons, where none seem to be all that long.
Problem......cost........sick and tired of the liberalism that has driven living costs higher and higher.....I could go into lengthy specifics. This is not the place.
One Day said:
This is not the place.
Well, at least you got that last part right.

And to think that here in Miami, the boat yard charges me $100/hour for a guy who doesn't even speak English to scrape barnacles off the bottom of the boat with a shovel..
I'm available in January, and I'll bet I can learn how to scrape barnacles off a boat with a shovel!

in the UK munimum wage is £5.75 for over 21's and £5 for under 21's we pay our chamber mail £6.00 but we guarantee her to get a minimum of £150 a week where as other places pay more but their girls may be left only doing £50 a week so can't afford to risk it so they have to pay more per hour. Tipping in the UK is far less prevalent though so what you get is what you get. It also works out for her because she lives in a house that belongs to me that I rent out rooms in so she gets a good deal on her rent and I get someone I see every day keeping a close eye on things for me. so that is a benefit as well.

And to think that here in Miami, the boat yard charges me $100/hour for a guy who doesn't even speak English to scrape barnacles off the bottom of the boat with a shovel..
I'm available in January, and I'll bet I can learn how to scrape barnacles off a boat with a shovel!
InnBloom said:
Yeah, me too, and I work cheaper than that...

Back