Waiting for response on report

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdwatcher

Reaction score
Ok, here goes problem that I have:
Owner asked us to get a report to her about the Inn's condition and what is truly needed at the Inn to make it more productive and what needs to be repaired etc.
We did this in a timely manner covering the fact that we need new towels and that linen is kind of short but we can do it, that utensils in the kitchen does not allow with the ease of preparing breakfast or other meals and so much more. But we really thought the owner wanted an hones assesment of the Inn we have committed to love and bring back up to par but that does not seem to be the case and the director said that she was on phone with owner and owner thought we wanted "to take over the Inn".
My dilema is now I feel that owner does not trust us and has not called or e-mailed back to let us know if she even received the report or what she thought of the report...is this normal? I need advise on how to handle it since its my first assignment and she is ol school and pretty much likes to listen to a man. I think I should just let it go and wait....any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance

So who is in control here? You the innkeeper or the director..who ever that is?? Seems like a funny situation. Sound like the owner doesn't have a clue as to what it takes to run a B & B. Have you talked directly with them??? I think you need to talk person to person...not through emails.

Who is this "director" person? I don't remember in your previous posts that there was someone between you and the owner. Have you ever met/spoken with the owner?
I agree with Cat Lady. You need to communicate in person/voice with the owner. The person who is ultimately paying the bills. You need to be able to communicate that you are both working toward the common goal. Making this inn a success. Communicate that things that need to be done quickly and other long term goals.
This moment in time is crutial to getting your employer/employee relationship on the right foot. Speak with the owner to let him/her know that you are there to reach a common goal.
Good luck!

What it sounds like is the 'director' let things slide and is now reaping the harvest of that neglect and YOU are to blame! Speak directly to the owner, if that is where you initially sent the report. Did you ever get that person's phone number or other info or are you still in the dark?
Find out why this is a surprise and why she thinks you are trying to 'take over.' But, aren't you supposed to be taking over?
If this person needs to speak to a man, put DH on the phone.

birdwatcher, it's your job as the managing innkeeper to take over the inn. That's what the owner is paying you to do.
Sounds to me like the director has had a great deal of control over both businesses and doesn't want to give up control.
Talk directly to the owner if you can. Send a follow up email to your original report.
But here's a tip. As many problems as you uncover, and there will be many, remember to keep your focus as positive as you can. Even distant owners get their feelings hurt and have emotional attachments to inns. Try your best to phrase any issues in a positive light and you'll get much better results.
But meanwhile, put to rest any issues between you and the owner. Reassure her that you are there to make her vision come to life. You're taking over specifically to help her. Let her know that.

Some people expect bricks without clay.it is a downward spiral if you have bad facilities you can't charge as much so make less money so have less to spend and so on. They have to realise you have to make proper investment or you cannot make them money. Rolling renovation is the name of the game.

who is this 'director'? that is a very strange comment. and maybe it is the 'director' whose nose is a bit out of joint.
of course you are going to take over ... i would assume that is what an innkeeper should do.
if the owner asked you for a report, why is the owner communicating with the director and not directly with you?
give her a call! you should be able to speak with her directly. don't let someone else get between you unless you are certain that is how the owner(s) want it.
innkeeper to go's suggestions are great.

Asking you for a report was like a wife asking her hubby if she looks fat in this dress? Loaded question, wants the answer they expect to get. My advice is to tread lightly, being the out of towner is always the toughest part of the job. Winning them over and then giving them the facts, nothin' but the facts.

Thanks all of you! Actually the owner called this morning (3days after report) to tell us that she would like to meet on Friday morning about the report.
Director is also the third one in 5 years-if that has anything to say about the situation. Joey I think you hit the nail on the spot because it seems like the owner thinks we are just looking at the bad, we did tell her this is a wonderful Inn and the potential to make it a better in is all there, its just that its her "baby" and you know what happens when someone critizises your "baby" you get defensife...should have used kinder words.
When we first spoke to the owner she said she wanted to speak directly with us about the happenings of the Inn and that one on one is better. The director said this as well, but its not going to be that way I suppose because the director is in the middle and we are just going to tred lightly at this time.
I'm just as confused about the "taking over" the Inn, cause I would think that is what we are suppose to do.

Thanks all of you! Actually the owner called this morning (3days after report) to tell us that she would like to meet on Friday morning about the report.
Director is also the third one in 5 years-if that has anything to say about the situation. Joey I think you hit the nail on the spot because it seems like the owner thinks we are just looking at the bad, we did tell her this is a wonderful Inn and the potential to make it a better in is all there, its just that its her "baby" and you know what happens when someone critizises your "baby" you get defensife...should have used kinder words.
When we first spoke to the owner she said she wanted to speak directly with us about the happenings of the Inn and that one on one is better. The director said this as well, but its not going to be that way I suppose because the director is in the middle and we are just going to tred lightly at this time.
I'm just as confused about the "taking over" the Inn, cause I would think that is what we are suppose to do..
birdwatcher said:
I'm just as confused about the "taking over" the Inn, cause I would think that is what we are suppose to do.
Your meeting is a good time to get that all hammered out. Who do you report to? What are your responsibilities? How much of the daily operations are your bailiwick? Where will the money come from to make the necessary changes (new lines, etc)? Do you need permission to move forward with anything? From whom?
I think you'll do fine once you know all the ins and outs of who is in charge of what and where the money comes from.
And you need to completely understand what the director's responsibilities are. This should be defined in a joint meeting. Not necessarily the same meeting as Friday.

I'm just as confused about the "taking over" the Inn, cause I would think that is what we are suppose to do..
I hope you get things straightened out because this is very confusing to me. Who is this director? What do they do? Relationship to owner? To you??? Who do you answer to? I thought they were hiring YOU to get the place into shape and functioning better and attracting more guests. Get things straight as to who does what.
Her BABY? That's weird...she hires others to do all the work and feels like it is HER BABY...doesn't seem quite right to me. She may own it financially, but has she ever put any real hand's on time into it???

birdwatcher said:
Your meeting is a good time to get that all hammered out. Who do you report to? What are your responsibilities? How much of the daily operations are your bailiwick? Where will the money come from to make the necessary changes (new lines, etc)? Do you need permission to move forward with anything? From whom?
I think you'll do fine once you know all the ins and outs of who is in charge of what and where the money comes from.
And you need to completely understand what the director's responsibilities are. This should be defined in a joint meeting. Not necessarily the same meeting as Friday.
Morticia said:
birdwatcher said:
And get your responsibilities and reporting chain down in writing directly from the owner. It is important to have this so if anyone gets a clouded memory, you have it down in unclouded black and white. Good to get things clear right from the beginning.

birdwatcher said:
Morticia said:
birdwatcher said:
And get your responsibilities and reporting chain down in writing directly from the owner. It is important to have this so if anyone gets a clouded memory, you have it down in unclouded black and white. Good to get things clear right from the beginning.
I agree, get it in writing! Even if it's in the form of a follow-up e-mail after your meeting. You definitely need something to refer to when memories fade.
I'm so glad you get a meeting in person!

all i can think to say is ... regardless of the role of the 'director' ... establish a good rapport and relationship with the owner ... a personal one. let the owner see how much you like the place and want it to succeed. you have said what is missing, be sure you say what is great. if i was asked to report to someone in the middle, i would send my reports directly to the owner as well.
i wish you all the best, i really do. but i am also confused about what the director's role is and why she(?) is necessary. does she do the bookkeeping and the accounting or what? and is she the one who pays you? you have to stay in touch with owner without antagonizing the 'director'.
keep us informed!

all i can think to say is ... regardless of the role of the 'director' ... establish a good rapport and relationship with the owner ... a personal one. let the owner see how much you like the place and want it to succeed. you have said what is missing, be sure you say what is great. if i was asked to report to someone in the middle, i would send my reports directly to the owner as well.
i wish you all the best, i really do. but i am also confused about what the director's role is and why she(?) is necessary. does she do the bookkeeping and the accounting or what? and is she the one who pays you? you have to stay in touch with owner without antagonizing the 'director'.
keep us informed!.
Good advice.

Apparently the owner has a director because she has the event center and eventhough she has someone to run this she needs a "middle person"? Don't really know...its kind of confusing but the director is cool and she knows the owner. I think I will ask the owner what and who is in charge and whom do we "report" to.
Its hard to try and do what is best for the Inn and not really have the authority to do so. Its hard since you've owned your own Inn.

Not to butt in, but I hope your report mentions a little work on the web site; I couldn't find anything about your rooms, just about a building for sale.

Not to butt in, but I hope your report mentions a little work on the web site; I couldn't find anything about your rooms, just about a building for sale..
Tom said:
Not to butt in, but I hope your report mentions a little work on the web site; I couldn't find anything about your rooms, just about a building for sale.
I don't think we know where birdwatcher is working now. The building for sale is probably her former residence/business. Could be wrong about that, tho. Maybe she has mentioned where the new job is and I missed it.

Not to butt in, but I hope your report mentions a little work on the web site; I couldn't find anything about your rooms, just about a building for sale..
This site you are looking at is her old property in WV. She has moved to a new position as innkeeper...I thought she said ARK....but now I am not sure.

Tom said:
That is her own B&B that shows for sale, not where she currently is in another state. She has not shared the new B&B name, and probably shouldn't at this point.
wink_smile.gif

Back