Waiting game -dietary restrictions at a B&B-

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have gathered, from other posts and other topics, is that: gluten free= yech!
How does one know when a gluten free meal is good or not? We always taste test our meals before we spring them on our guests..
Don't bother testing it on yourselves...usually dry as dust. One helpful tip is to add yogurt to something like pancakes as that makes them more palatable. Or, avoid 'breads' altogether. Crustless quiche works. Serve with spicy corn muffins and sausage.
We don't test new recipes first...we go right for the guests' opinions!
Bree, my sister the celiac is a fabulous baker. She makes really good bread, the best pastry, pizza dough, cookies, etc. It has taken her a few years to find the right recipes but the Celiac Associations generally have some good ones and there are some wonderful cookbooks out there now. I've had wonderful gluten-free pancakes and waffles as well.
Now I'm never going to be baking as she does because I don't have to so will purchase breads if I need to. I can make really good pancakes, cornbread, gingerbread, chocolate cake and peanut butter cookies though. The new specialty flours make a difference.
BTW, if any of you have an Ikea near by they stock a wonderful gluten-free dessert in their freezer. It's kind of a wafery, gooey delight!
ginocat said:
Bree, my sister the celiac is a fabulous baker. She makes really good bread, the best pastry, pizza dough, cookies, etc. It has taken her a few years to find the right recipes but the Celiac Associations generally have some good ones and there are some wonderful cookbooks out there now. I've had wonderful gluten-free pancakes and waffles as well.
My daughter was diagnosed with celiac about 10 years ago. She went on a strict diet and was dating a chef at the time. He made her the best meals. But the problem didn't go away. Wrong diagnosis, but she had some great meals in the meantime! Turns out it was the relationship with the chef that was causing all of the stomach issues, once he was gone so were the problems.
Obviously, not your sister's case, but we have had guests (one coming today) who are not longer 'gluten intolerant'. So for those who have repeat guests who seem to vacilate among different dietary issues, sometimes they ARE problems that come and go.

From what I have gathered, from other posts and other topics, is that: gluten free= yech!
How does one know when a gluten free meal is good or not? We always taste test our meals before we spring them on our guests..
Don't bother testing it on yourselves...usually dry as dust. One helpful tip is to add yogurt to something like pancakes as that makes them more palatable. Or, avoid 'breads' altogether. Crustless quiche works. Serve with spicy corn muffins and sausage.
Now I'm never going to be baking as she does because I don't have to so will purchase breads if I need to. I can make really good pancakes, cornbread, gingerbread, chocolate cake and peanut butter cookies though. The new specialty flours make a difference.
BTW, if any of you have an Ikea near by they stock a wonderful gluten-free dessert in their freezer. It's kind of a wafery, gooey delight!
ginocat said:
My daughter was diagnosed with celiac about 10 years ago. She went on a strict diet and was dating a chef at the time. He made her the best meals. But the problem didn't go away. Wrong diagnosis, but she had some great meals in the meantime! Turns out it was the relationship with the chef that was causing all of the stomach issues, once he was gone so were the problems.
Obviously, not your sister's case, but we have had guests (one coming today) who are not longer 'gluten intolerant'. So for those who have repeat guests who seem to vacilate among different dietary issues, sometimes they ARE problems that come and go.
Celiac disease is diagnosed by a blood test and a small bowel biopsy. the biopsy is final diagnosis. If the blood test is positive then the biopsy is next. It is not a disease to be played with.

ginocat said:
Celiac disease is diagnosed by a blood test and a small bowel biopsy. the biopsy is final diagnosis. If the blood test is positive then the biopsy is next. It is not a disease to be played with.
ginocat said:
That could be offered as an extra B&B service! Bed, Breakfast and Bowel Biopsy! You'd have 'em lined up at the door!

ginocat said:
They only went as far as the blood tests, never did the biopsy. So that explains the mis-diagnosis. Thanks. She was on her own so we didn't get involved in the dr visits. We only knew what she told us.

I know you guys warned us, but guest this morning had her boyfriend email us in advance to let us know she was diabetic. We make a special run to the store to get Splenda and sugar-free everything. She just poked at her breakfast and said all she really needs is a cigarette and coffee in the morning. Would have been nice to know.

I know you guys warned us, but guest this morning had her boyfriend email us in advance to let us know she was diabetic. We make a special run to the store to get Splenda and sugar-free everything. She just poked at her breakfast and said all she really needs is a cigarette and coffee in the morning. Would have been nice to know..
If he let you know in advance, I would have emailed them back and asked "what do you want for breakfast? Or anything like that....just because it is sugar free doesn't mean diabetic will eat it. they don't have to have EVERYTHING sugar free. And..Splenda is made from sugar.

I know you guys warned us, but guest this morning had her boyfriend email us in advance to let us know she was diabetic. We make a special run to the store to get Splenda and sugar-free everything. She just poked at her breakfast and said all she really needs is a cigarette and coffee in the morning. Would have been nice to know..
She just poked at her breakfast and said all she really needs is a cigarette and coffee in the morning. Would have been nice to know.
You needed to have the regular breakfast there regardless to show what you do. Otherwise she would go back and tell eveyone all she was offered for breakfast was coffee.
Most of us keep the pink, blue, and yellow packets in stock because they each have their own set of advocates - and not just diabetic (I am on a diet...) I also use Stevia as a sweetener for my muffins for the sugar-free folks (and that can be a lifestyle as well as a dietary). It is an herb that is 300 times sweeter than sugar. It truly is "a little dab 'll do ya".

She just poked at her breakfast and said all she really needs is a cigarette and coffee in the morning. Would have been nice to know.
You needed to have the regular breakfast there regardless to show what you do. Otherwise she would go back and tell eveyone all she was offered for breakfast was coffee.
Most of us keep the pink, blue, and yellow packets in stock because they each have their own set of advocates - and not just diabetic (I am on a diet...) I also use Stevia as a sweetener for my muffins for the sugar-free folks (and that can be a lifestyle as well as a dietary). It is an herb that is 300 times sweeter than sugar. It truly is "a little dab 'll do ya".
has anyone used Agave Nectar as a sugar replacement??? Gal on TV news the other night was using it. Just curious

gillumhouse said:
I also use Stevia as a sweetener for my muffins for the sugar-free folks (and that can be a lifestyle as well as a dietary). It is an herb that is 300 times sweeter than sugar. It truly is "a little dab 'll do ya".
Been there. Done that. Got the T-Shirt. Stevia is an aquired taste. I, personally have not aquired it.

We also have sugar in the raw. THAT goes quickly. The pink stuff I have JUST bought a new box of after inheriting the 1000 pk from the PO's 4 years ago. Not that popular anymore. Raw-regular-yellow-blue-pink, in case anyone wonders what gets used the most.

Proud Texan said:
I know you guys warned us, but guest this morning had her boyfriend email us in advance to let us know she was diabetic. We make a special run to the store to get Splenda and sugar-free everything. She just poked at her breakfast and said all she really needs is a cigarette and coffee in the morning. Would have been nice to know.
There is a diabetic here right now who will not, absolutely not eat any fruit. But he has emptied out the candy bowl. His room is full of the wrappers. (I have small choco's I bought from the halloween section- snickers, almond joy, etc) Oh didn't I rant about THIS on the other thread as well?
Meanwhile last week a diabetic told me when I made a semi-special meal for him "Oh no, I can eat as much fruit as I like."

We also have sugar in the raw. THAT goes quickly. The pink stuff I have JUST bought a new box of after inheriting the 1000 pk from the PO's 4 years ago. Not that popular anymore. Raw-regular-yellow-blue-pink, in case anyone wonders what gets used the most.
Bree said:
Well, I don't have raw, but our pink goes quickly. My mil uses nothing else. I think we're regular-pink-blue-yellow, although I guess I couldn't swear to it.
=)
Kk.

has anyone used Agave Nectar as a sugar replacement??? Gal on TV news the other night was using it. Just curious
catlady said:
We use Agave Nectar all the time for sweetner. Unfortunately diabetics can't use it. Agave syrup consists primarily of fructose and glucose.

Yes, I bought some at Trader Joe's. It's nice in coffee, but particularly nice in hot tea.

Proud Texan said:
There is a diabetic here right now who will not, absolutely not eat any fruit. But he has emptied out the candy bowl. His room is full of the wrappers. (I have small choco's I bought from the halloween section- snickers, almond joy, etc) Oh didn't I rant about THIS on the other thread as well?
Meanwhile last week a diabetic told me when I made a semi-special meal for him "Oh no, I can eat as much fruit as I like."
So far all the diabetics we have encountered have cheated on their diets and eat all kinds of sweets. I guess we all need to have people sign a waiver before they eat our breakfasts.
tounge_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
So far all the diabetics we have encountered have cheated on their diets and eat all kinds of sweets. I guess we all need to have people sign a waiver before they eat our breakfasts.
tounge_smile.gif

If they are on insulin, they just adjust the dosage. If they are on an insulin pump, it adjusts automatically.

Proud Texan said:
tounge_smile.gif

If they are on insulin, they just adjust the dosage. If they are on an insulin pump, it adjusts automatically.
The pumps aren't automatic, but they are getting better (I'm on my third one). They do greatly free up the lifestyle of an insulin dependent diabetic.

Proud Texan said:
tounge_smile.gif

Diabetics have a wide variety of restrictions and treatments, so it is not a one size fits all kind of approach.
That and many diabetics are operating on a poor understanding of their own disease so that helps add to the confusion.

Online booking a few months back asked for a discount. It's end of season (here) so I agreed. Next email was all the dietary restrictions for 3 adult guests in the cheapest room (all the rooms were available when they booked). They arrived today and handed hubs a laundry list of what they will eat. As far as I know they're all getting scrambled eggs. And variations on soy sausage or real sausage, depending on whose a vegetarian and who isn't. I stayed out of that one. He's the cook, let him decide what he's making.

Proud Texan said:
tounge_smile.gif

Diabetics have a wide variety of restrictions and treatments, so it is not a one size fits all kind of approach.
That and many diabetics are operating on a poor understanding of their own disease so that helps add to the confusion.
And I have had hypoglycemic and that is another variation to the sugar problem. So sugar, no sugar, wheat, no wheat - each has its problems and if I can help someone stay on their diet while they travel, I have served a purpose.

Back