Walk-ins, credit cards and check-outs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
If you have walk-ins do you get an imprint of the credit card if they want to pay cash? I am hoping we do not have an incident here in the morning with some walk-ins who paid cash and then asked for a 2PM check-out. They were told no, but we all know that doesn't stop anyone from doing what they want.
I will see if they even show up for breakfast, which I am doubting.
Whatever occurs, I will not get involved. This one is up to DH. My early NY's resolution is 'no more confrontation with guests'.

Like car rental companies and every hotel I've ever seen, I'll get that credit card imprint when they arrive even if the bill was paid fully in cash up front. The hotels say, "to cover any incidentals while you are are with us" which means "to cover any damage you do or stuff you steal while you are with us".
I remember about 1983 I didn't yet have a credit card and needed to rent a car. I had to take a notarized letter from my bank to get Avis to get them to trust me enough to pay cash for the rental, and of course they made me buy all the insurance they had to offer.

I prefer to get their credit card number, but I've also taken a $100 cash deposit and took a copy of their drivers license because they didn't have a credit card. When they were ready to leave the next morning, I checked their room for any damage/missing items and gave them their $100 cash back.

Like car rental companies and every hotel I've ever seen, I'll get that credit card imprint when they arrive even if the bill was paid fully in cash up front. The hotels say, "to cover any incidentals while you are are with us" which means "to cover any damage you do or stuff you steal while you are with us".
I remember about 1983 I didn't yet have a credit card and needed to rent a car. I had to take a notarized letter from my bank to get Avis to get them to trust me enough to pay cash for the rental, and of course they made me buy all the insurance they had to offer..
I agree. You are a businees and need to cover your a..... Also, if they stay after checkout, you knock on their door. If they stay longer, you use that credit card info and charge them so much more an hour.

I remember about 1983 I didn't yet have a credit card and needed to rent a car. I had to take a notarized letter from my bank to get Avis to get them to trust me enough to pay cash for the rental, and of course they made me buy all the insurance they had to offer..
Duplicate.

I prefer to get their credit card number, but I've also taken a $100 cash deposit and took a copy of their drivers license because they didn't have a credit card. When they were ready to leave the next morning, I checked their room for any damage/missing items and gave them their $100 cash back..
Having the driver's license info is a good idea. As it was, DH let them fill in the registration form. When he handed it to me to enter, I asked, 'What's the name, address, town? I can't read any of this.' I ask him time and again to fill the form in himself so he can at least try to tell me what's written there but he refuses to do it. So, in this case, I had to take what little info I had and Google it to find something similar in the town. (I could read the zip code at least!)
It would be nice if he would try to cooperate with me once in awhile.
sad_smile.gif

Tough one: it is a business indeed, but a personal business. A few of my cash customers are philosophically opposed to cc and don't have them, period. I do record the car registration, and do get payment - cash or cc - upfront on any walk-in, but I have not asked for a cash deposit. I have heard stories and as an aspiring, was warned by my advisors that cash customers can be a problem. It is a judgement call on my part; so far, no regrets. One such cash only customer left a $50 tip, so maybe I am ahead.

Tough one: it is a business indeed, but a personal business. A few of my cash customers are philosophically opposed to cc and don't have them, period. I do record the car registration, and do get payment - cash or cc - upfront on any walk-in, but I have not asked for a cash deposit. I have heard stories and as an aspiring, was warned by my advisors that cash customers can be a problem. It is a judgement call on my part; so far, no regrets. One such cash only customer left a $50 tip, so maybe I am ahead..
We have a few regular cash customers who save up for the trip and hand me an envelope at the door. Love that!
My big concern with these guests was that they were unhappy about not being able to stay until 2 PM. With nothing to fall back on if they didn't vacate, I was wondering what I should have done.
It is tough to pretty much say, 'Yeah, you look ok, but I'll be having an imprint of that credit card just in case!' given the personal nature of the business. As it was, all ended well.

Tough one: it is a business indeed, but a personal business. A few of my cash customers are philosophically opposed to cc and don't have them, period. I do record the car registration, and do get payment - cash or cc - upfront on any walk-in, but I have not asked for a cash deposit. I have heard stories and as an aspiring, was warned by my advisors that cash customers can be a problem. It is a judgement call on my part; so far, no regrets. One such cash only customer left a $50 tip, so maybe I am ahead..
Tom said:
it is a business indeed, but a personal business.
Not sure what this means. What is a personal business, and how does it differ from a business?

Tom said:
Not sure what this means. What is a personal business, and how does it differ from a business?
Arkansawyer said:
Tom said:
It means we see their undies.
wink_smile.gif

Tom said:
I mean that you personally are the customer's connection to the business. You can decide what to do on the spot; decisions are not made by a computer, or based on a set of policies drawn up by someone distant from that customer relationship. In our neck of the woods, a lot gets done on a handshake. That said, I try not to be easily proven a fool.

Even more than this being a business or personal business, this is our home as well. I want to know who is in my home. Getting a Drivers license is one of the best ways to ensure they know that you know who they are & how to find them (given that it is not a fake - or.... ) I have had my license copied when checking into a hotel and that is even when I am paying by CC.

Even more than this being a business or personal business, this is our home as well. I want to know who is in my home. Getting a Drivers license is one of the best ways to ensure they know that you know who they are & how to find them (given that it is not a fake - or.... ) I have had my license copied when checking into a hotel and that is even when I am paying by CC..
I asked that question on a poll about 6 mo's ago I think, is it a business, it is your home, etc. This week it is my home as I have the rooms blocked off, but when we have guests it doesn't feel like a home. Unfortunately. Even over the last week and weekend we have our Christmas tree up and prezzies under the tree and I felt weird about it. Do we need to hide everything personal on our side of the inn? Sometimes I think we do. The first few years we had a B&B tree with B&B ornaments (and it was gorgeous) but it was not our family and it made me mad. I don't want to decorate for the one nighters who drive thru, I want to decorate Christmas for us!
Having said that we had just one room yesterday morning for breakfast, so got up early and made a fantastic breakfast. They did not show. We went up and knocked on their door and they said they wouldn't be down. This after explaining to LET US KNOW if you plan on skipping breakfast. Did they? They could blinkin' care less. and yet, we are supposed to care about these people "in our home."
This is when it is personal! This is when I dislike this business most. So I blocked the next couple days off...

Even more than this being a business or personal business, this is our home as well. I want to know who is in my home. Getting a Drivers license is one of the best ways to ensure they know that you know who they are & how to find them (given that it is not a fake - or.... ) I have had my license copied when checking into a hotel and that is even when I am paying by CC..
I asked that question on a poll about 6 mo's ago I think, is it a business, it is your home, etc. This week it is my home as I have the rooms blocked off, but when we have guests it doesn't feel like a home. Unfortunately. Even over the last week and weekend we have our Christmas tree up and prezzies under the tree and I felt weird about it. Do we need to hide everything personal on our side of the inn? Sometimes I think we do. The first few years we had a B&B tree with B&B ornaments (and it was gorgeous) but it was not our family and it made me mad. I don't want to decorate for the one nighters who drive thru, I want to decorate Christmas for us!
Having said that we had just one room yesterday morning for breakfast, so got up early and made a fantastic breakfast. They did not show. We went up and knocked on their door and they said they wouldn't be down. This after explaining to LET US KNOW if you plan on skipping breakfast. Did they? They could blinkin' care less. and yet, we are supposed to care about these people "in our home."
This is when it is personal! This is when I dislike this business most. So I blocked the next couple days off...
We only put up one tree and it's in the inn. All of the decorating is over there. This is another thing I will stop doing when we move- decorating. There is not a single ornament or anything on my side except my Christmas cards. There are 2 presents under the tree. They are empty boxes wrapped up to make it look 'complete'.
If I had kids I'd have a tree for them just for them. So, yes, 2 trees.

We only put up one tree and it's in the inn. All of the decorating is over there. This is another thing I will stop doing when we move- decorating. There is not a single ornament or anything on my side except my Christmas cards. There are 2 presents under the tree. They are empty boxes wrapped up to make it look 'complete'.
Madeleine said:
This is the battle when you have kids at the inn. We want to the inn to be theirs too, not just the burden that it is. So we have puzzles set up in the parlor and other areas we can use this time of year instead of living in our habitrail. Tonight is the big slumberparty, and they get to use the guest rooms. But in light of that disrespect yesterday morning (I had tues-thurs open for last minute bookings) I blocked those nights off and said stuff em all!
We won't be open on Christmas eve, Christmas or Boxing day, ever.
on that note I have to do taxes and then let the party begin! BYE!

Madeleine said:
This is the battle when you have kids at the inn. We want to the inn to be theirs too, not just the burden that it is. So we have puzzles set up in the parlor and other areas we can use this time of year instead of living in our habitrail. Tonight is the big slumberparty, and they get to use the guest rooms. But in light of that disrespect yesterday morning (I had tues-thurs open for last minute bookings) I blocked those nights off and said stuff em all!
Sounds like fun for the girls!

Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
I think I officially take the title for master side tracker on this forum, pass that trophy on over red rover...(ps Pinterest...again)
Squiggly Dogs[/h3]

Madeleine said:
Hooray for your Girls!! And another hooray for them having a Mother who thinks about family over business - not all do unfortunately.

Madeleine said:
Hooray for your Girls!! And another hooray for them having a Mother who thinks about family over business - not all do unfortunately.
gillumhouse said:
Thanks, even if they are involved in my little experiments...haha
I have one more experiment tonight for dessert. Wait, two more...
112519690659606549_G2wVyjxi_c.jpg

apples, peanut butter and marshmallows
and these indoor smores:
77616793547495470_1VCt2ZYt_c.jpg

fridge crescent rolls, mini choco chips and mini marshmallows (i might add peanut butter into mine)

Don't care who it is, you can't stay unless we have a CC on file for incidentals, breakage, etc... even if you are paying cash.
And for those who need a late checkout, sometimes saying "Sure, happens all the time, the usual charge is $40 for an extra 2 hours, since we have to pay the housekeeping staff to stay late. How would you like to pay that?"
It seems to tick off two boxes in their head... one, that you have a procedure in place to handle it and two, that there is a real reason for the charge.

Back