Walk-ins, credit cards and check-outs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even more than this being a business or personal business, this is our home as well. I want to know who is in my home. Getting a Drivers license is one of the best ways to ensure they know that you know who they are & how to find them (given that it is not a fake - or.... ) I have had my license copied when checking into a hotel and that is even when I am paying by CC..
I asked that question on a poll about 6 mo's ago I think, is it a business, it is your home, etc. This week it is my home as I have the rooms blocked off, but when we have guests it doesn't feel like a home. Unfortunately. Even over the last week and weekend we have our Christmas tree up and prezzies under the tree and I felt weird about it. Do we need to hide everything personal on our side of the inn? Sometimes I think we do. The first few years we had a B&B tree with B&B ornaments (and it was gorgeous) but it was not our family and it made me mad. I don't want to decorate for the one nighters who drive thru, I want to decorate Christmas for us!
Having said that we had just one room yesterday morning for breakfast, so got up early and made a fantastic breakfast. They did not show. We went up and knocked on their door and they said they wouldn't be down. This after explaining to LET US KNOW if you plan on skipping breakfast. Did they? They could blinkin' care less. and yet, we are supposed to care about these people "in our home."
This is when it is personal! This is when I dislike this business most. So I blocked the next couple days off...
We only put up one tree and it's in the inn. All of the decorating is over there. This is another thing I will stop doing when we move- decorating. There is not a single ornament or anything on my side except my Christmas cards. There are 2 presents under the tree. They are empty boxes wrapped up to make it look 'complete'.
If I had kids I'd have a tree for them just for them. So, yes, 2 trees.
Madeleine said:
...There are 2 presents under the tree. They are empty boxes wrapped up to make it look 'complete'...
We have a bunch of wrapped boxes on the tree. They are the storage boxes for different items that are on the tree. After New Years day, we unwrap them, put everything into the boxes and then put it all back into storage for the next year.
One tree and it's entirely for the guests. All the Christmas decorations are for the guests. Though, I never did find Christmas decorated boxes of tissue, which along with a stocking with the name of the room on it, is the only decorations in the rooms, usually.

Even more than this being a business or personal business, this is our home as well. I want to know who is in my home. Getting a Drivers license is one of the best ways to ensure they know that you know who they are & how to find them (given that it is not a fake - or.... ) I have had my license copied when checking into a hotel and that is even when I am paying by CC..
I asked that question on a poll about 6 mo's ago I think, is it a business, it is your home, etc. This week it is my home as I have the rooms blocked off, but when we have guests it doesn't feel like a home. Unfortunately. Even over the last week and weekend we have our Christmas tree up and prezzies under the tree and I felt weird about it. Do we need to hide everything personal on our side of the inn? Sometimes I think we do. The first few years we had a B&B tree with B&B ornaments (and it was gorgeous) but it was not our family and it made me mad. I don't want to decorate for the one nighters who drive thru, I want to decorate Christmas for us!
Having said that we had just one room yesterday morning for breakfast, so got up early and made a fantastic breakfast. They did not show. We went up and knocked on their door and they said they wouldn't be down. This after explaining to LET US KNOW if you plan on skipping breakfast. Did they? They could blinkin' care less. and yet, we are supposed to care about these people "in our home."
This is when it is personal! This is when I dislike this business most. So I blocked the next couple days off...
We only put up one tree and it's in the inn. All of the decorating is over there. This is another thing I will stop doing when we move- decorating. There is not a single ornament or anything on my side except my Christmas cards. There are 2 presents under the tree. They are empty boxes wrapped up to make it look 'complete'.
Madeleine said:
This is the battle when you have kids at the inn. We want to the inn to be theirs too, not just the burden that it is. So we have puzzles set up in the parlor and other areas we can use this time of year instead of living in our habitrail. Tonight is the big slumberparty, and they get to use the guest rooms. But in light of that disrespect yesterday morning (I had tues-thurs open for last minute bookings) I blocked those nights off and said stuff em all!
We won't be open on Christmas eve, Christmas or Boxing day, ever.
on that note I have to do taxes and then let the party begin! BYE!
Hooray for your Girls!! And another hooray for them having a Mother who thinks about family over business - not all do unfortunately.
gillumhouse said:
Hooray for your Girls!! And another hooray for them having a Mother who thinks about family over business - not all do unfortunately.
Thanks, even if they are involved in my little experiments...haha
I have one more experiment tonight for dessert. Wait, two more...
112519690659606549_G2wVyjxi_c.jpg

apples, peanut butter and marshmallows
and these indoor smores:
77616793547495470_1VCt2ZYt_c.jpg

fridge crescent rolls, mini choco chips and mini marshmallows (i might add peanut butter into mine)
My Mom never came up with stuff like this! (Neither di my kid's Mom.) I AM impressed. Yummy too.

Madeleine said:
This is the battle when you have kids at the inn. We want to the inn to be theirs too, not just the burden that it is. So we have puzzles set up in the parlor and other areas we can use this time of year instead of living in our habitrail. Tonight is the big slumberparty, and they get to use the guest rooms. But in light of that disrespect yesterday morning (I had tues-thurs open for last minute bookings) I blocked those nights off and said stuff em all!
gillumhouse said:

and these indoor smores:

fridge crescent rolls, mini choco chips and mini marshmallows (i might add peanut butter into mine)
OMG! Those teeth are terrific! I have to remember that for when we have kid guests.

Madeleine said:
gillumhouse said:

and these indoor smores:

I thought they were false teeth to start with! couldn't understand why you would put a picture of false teeth! they are hilarious! if you were open for halloweem you could do them as checking in snacks!

Madeleine said:
gillumhouse said:

and these indoor smores:

The "teeth" ARE really funny! Good one!

Madeleine said:
gillumhouse said:

and these indoor smores:

Those teeth have made my day----and it's only 7:41a.m. Thanks!
Smores look great too.

Here is my final sidetrack (OTT = On this thread) :)
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]Continental fruit course for the teenage slumberparty last night. Plus juice and cereal. Paying B&B guests get the [/COLOR]http://twitpic.com/7vv80w

I learned the hard way to always get a credit card, even if the guests were paying with cash or if their stay was paid for by a business.
No one ever had an issue with it when I simply stated that it was in the event of any damages in accordance with our policies that they signed at registration since it's standard practice for most lodging properties.

Back