Walking people

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulavery

Reaction score
I worked from 1997-2000 at Chateau Whistler Resort in Whistler BC. About 9 times a year the hotel would be oversold. The hotel did a very proactive thing, they'd start giving this speil to all of the check ins
"Welcome to Chateau Whistler Resort (bla, bla, bla, etc....) Nice to have you here. We have a room ready for you. We do want to let you know about an offer we have for you. The hotel is sold out, however, your room is awaiting you, if you are wiling to stay at the Glacier we will pay for your stay, give you dinner in our restaurant, and give you 2 lift tickets."
The point being, we walked the guest that was thrilled to be walked... no one got angry... the people that wanted to stay, got to stay. And the hotel would stop the offer when the number of available rooms and expected guest were back in line.
Other hotels I've been involved with can take a very reactive approach, and just hope they have enough rooms for all. I always thought CWR approach was the best.... (of course, not overselling might be a good idea too... but that is another discussion.)
I'm just sharing this here, because I know it will get read.

When I worked as relief night audit at a Ho li day you know, I was to sell every room. Since I came on at 11 PM, the guaranteeds were looked at as being no-shows so it was SELL IT! One night as I was reaching for the last room for a walk-in, the confirmed person actually walked in! That was a WHEW!! Their policy was to explain there had been an error for which we do apologize and we have secured a room at _____ (and you had to pray there was a room available between us and Chicago - about 45 miles) and we will be paying for your room and one phone call to let your folks know you have relocated (this was before the age of cell phones).

What I liked about the approach was were straight with people
There was another time that a stack of rooms were not receiving hot water reliably, it came and went. I was on the front desk and this couple on their honeymoon came to see me (they were one of the rooms not receiving hot water) and they were ready for battle with me. I told them I believed them and told them engineering had been working on the issue all night and we had brought up an engineering firm from Vancouver and that we did expect it to be fixed soon, but we did not know when. I told them we were sold out and could not move them. I told them I felt horroble this happened on their honeymoon. We also offered to book them in at another hotel, but they wanted to stay with us.
Fortunately the hotel has hospitality suites on the floors with full baths, so I gave them a key for that room for bathing/showers (had hot water). They later wrote me up (positive). I think they liked being heard and not screwed with.
The one thing about doing the hotel work v. the internet stuff, is I had much better work stories at the hotel. When my wife ask me now how my day went, I don't have great stories to tell her. ;)

I think that is an excellent approach. But I would worry no one would take you up on the offer to move! What I think stinks is when the overbooked property expects another property to take theit guests at a discounted rate.

somewhere buried in these threads, i mentioned guests i had ... the wife had been a walker for a hotel in boston and she said it was the worst, most miserable job she ever had.
the hotel always overbooked, betting on the statistical probability of noshows. when they were wrong, it was her job to walk guests to another 'better' accommodation elsewhere but in a 'comparable' hotel. the problem was, these were not naiive guests, nor were they obliging guests, they were angry and travel savy and knew darn wall the hotel overbooked on purpose and they let her know it.
rarely was anyone THRILLED with being moved, in spite of the free room, dinner and theatre tickets that were thrown in. were these guests so vocal in their protests hoping to get a sweeter deal? i don't know. you also say it was nine times a year, in her hotel, this happened much more often than that. so frequent on weekends ... that's why it was her actual job ...
she had horror stories of adult temper tantrums, vandalism, threats of violence and assault (by which time she had decided she was DONE with that job) 10 years doing that was ten years too much, in her view.
this was, at the time, THE premier place to stay in boston and people wanted to stay there .... not down the street, not even for free. i won't say the name of the place for obvious reasons.
i have to wonder if the reason b&b's get so much grief from guests when they cancel a reservation or don't show up is because they know of this hotel practice and suspect b&b's do the same (despite assurances that they do not)
it's amazing to learn of your experience and hers, doing the same job but in dfiferent locations, and how the reaction of the hotel guests being walked differs so much!!
for another point of view, google hotel walking scams --- where the hotels deliberately walk guests to places that cost less to stay at (not offering free rooms, but comparable ones) and pocket the difference

There was another time that a stack of rooms were not receiving hot water reliably, it came and went. I was on the front desk and this couple on their honeymoon came to see me (they were one of the rooms not receiving hot water) and they were ready for battle with me. I told them I believed them and told them engineering had been working on the issue all night and we had brought up an engineering firm from Vancouver and that we did expect it to be fixed soon, but we did not know when. I told them we were sold out and could not move them. I told them I felt horroble this happened on their honeymoon. We also offered to book them in at another hotel, but they wanted to stay with us.
Fortunately the hotel has hospitality suites on the floors with full baths, so I gave them a key for that room for bathing/showers (had hot water). They later wrote me up (positive). I think they liked being heard and not screwed with.
The one thing about doing the hotel work v. the internet stuff, is I had much better work stories at the hotel. When my wife ask me now how my day went, I don't have great stories to tell her. ;).
paulavery said:
I've come to the conclusion that people will forgive anything if they like you and feel like you're really looking out for them and trying to take care of them. But it can't be faked.
I read TA reviews sometimes and I think the bad review could have been avoided with just a little kindness and attention on the part of the management.
Yes, I know that's not always the case... but really, people will forgive a LOT if they feel loved!
=)
Kk.

The one thing about doing the hotel work v. the internet stuff, is I had much better work stories at the hotel. When my wife ask me now how my day went, I don't have great stories to tell her. ;).
paulavery said:
I've come to the conclusion that people will forgive anything if they like you and feel like you're really looking out for them and trying to take care of them. But it can't be faked.
I read TA reviews sometimes and I think the bad review could have been avoided with just a little kindness and attention on the part of the management.
Yes, I know that's not always the case... but really, people will forgive a LOT if they feel loved!
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
paulavery said:
=)
Kk.
Some people are just jerks.
We don't have to pretend to like everyone - there are those like the couple where FD innkeeper was going to a funeral and that just put "them" out so much.
I am not sure she wanted to love that rude and arrogant couple as her focus was on a funeral and the family. "You can't please all the people all of the time" and in my book the squeaky wheel gets to squeak all they want, you know how it is with spoiled kids, let them fall on the ground and throw a fit, more power to them.
(Sorry can you tell we dealt with one of these such guests recently) :) This goes back to "What is the 1 thing you would tell an aspiring" - TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY FIRST. Then the guests will enjoy what you offer 100% more, than suffering to take care of #1 first.

paulavery said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
paulavery said:
=)
Kk.
We don't have to pretend to like everyone - there are those like the couple where FD innkeeper was going to a funeral and that just put "them" out so much.
I am not sure she wanted to love that rude and arrogant couple as her focus was on a funeral and the family. "You can't please all the people all of the time" and in my book the squeaky wheel gets to squeak all they want, you know how it is with spoiled kids, let them fall on the ground and throw a fit, more power to them.
(Sorry can you tell we dealt with one of these such guests recently) :) This goes back to "What is the 1 thing you would tell an aspiring" - TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY FIRST. Then the guests will enjoy what you offer 100% more, than suffering to take care of #1 first.
I'm not talking about the jerks... there's no pleasing them!
I'm talking about the reviews that mutter on and on about stupid stuff... and maybe there's no pleasing them, either.
But there are so many stories about people who have had horrible foul-ups (like the power was out, or they had a casserole dropped on their arm, or there was no hot water) and then they're still all glowing about the place they stayed. Obviously, there's something going on there... something making them happy enough to overlook the crisis at hand, all is forgiven, we'll see you again next year.
Like Paul said, people like being heard and not screwed with.
=)
Kk.

paulavery said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
paulavery said:
=)
Kk.
I'm not talking about the jerks... there's no pleasing them!
I'm talking about the reviews that mutter on and on about stupid stuff... and maybe there's no pleasing them, either.
But there are so many stories about people who have had horrible foul-ups (like the power was out, or they had a casserole dropped on their arm, or there was no hot water) and then they're still all glowing about the place they stayed. Obviously, there's something going on there... something making them happy enough to overlook the crisis at hand, all is forgiven, we'll see you again next year.
Like Paul said, people like being heard and not screwed with.
=)
Kk.
I think any consideration given in a bad situation decent people understand. I agree, share with them, OOPS this happened or that. People understand. Decent people. Jerks don't understand, they don't care, it is all about me me me.

Sorry you've had some jerks lately.
pita.gif

=(
Kk.

paulavery said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
paulavery said:
=)
Kk.
Funny how you and I think the same about so much and then disagree on so much! But, I am all for letting the temper tantrum go unrewarded. You CAN'T please all the people all the time and you shouldn't even try.
I know someone posted about a restaurant that actively soothed ruffled feathers and it was done so discreetly many didn't even know they were being manipulated into a better mood. This is all well and good when it is your JOB to do this and then you get to go home for 16 hours and do something else. We don't get to leave after 8 hours of work. So, we have to protect ourselves from the people who need this kind of coddling.
Actively setting expectations helps and most of us do that as best we can. But, we're bound to get the guest who doesn't want to be here but waited too long to reserve and now has to 'settle.' Or the guest who is inherently grumpy.

I guess the main thing to remember is in their minds they are the "only" child. :)
Little do they know we refer to them by room name or number as they come and go so quickly they are not all that memorable. Shhhh! Don't let that cat out of the bag will you.
wink_smile.gif

Seashanty ~ the problem was, these were not naiive guests, nor were they obliging guests, they were angry and travel savy and knew darn wall the hotel overbooked on purpose and they let her know it.
Of course, I was never at this Boston hotel, but I think the thing that CWR did right was be straight/honest with the guest. If we started offering the deal, so the customer had the choice, before we were out of rooms, we almost always had people happily take it. To me, the thing was they had the choice ~ stay at CWR or get a free stay with other add-ons down the street. And I found that us admitting that we overbooked on purpose instead of blaming it on a computer glitch really changed the tone of the conversation. At the time there was nothing else like CWR in Whistler... now there is a 4 seasons next door.
BTW - I've heard airlines do this. While at the gate they'll come over the PA and start asking for people to be bumped off the flight... and they will continue to sweeten the deal until someone takes it.

We are opposite a holiday inn and they over book on purpose they have rung us at 2am before now to take people in for them because we are the nearest place. It is a policy in some of the large chanes to take rooms till they stop ringing for them. A friend of mine pointed out to the holiday inn that they were 27 overbooked and the general manager just laughed as my friend was the one who had to tell these people one after another. He left soon after.(do you blame him!) I have only every done it by accident but I am lucky that I am in a row with 4 other places so they don't have to go far.

Seashanty ~ the problem was, these were not naiive guests, nor were they obliging guests, they were angry and travel savy and knew darn wall the hotel overbooked on purpose and they let her know it.
Of course, I was never at this Boston hotel, but I think the thing that CWR did right was be straight/honest with the guest. If we started offering the deal, so the customer had the choice, before we were out of rooms, we almost always had people happily take it. To me, the thing was they had the choice ~ stay at CWR or get a free stay with other add-ons down the street. And I found that us admitting that we overbooked on purpose instead of blaming it on a computer glitch really changed the tone of the conversation. At the time there was nothing else like CWR in Whistler... now there is a 4 seasons next door.
BTW - I've heard airlines do this. While at the gate they'll come over the PA and start asking for people to be bumped off the flight... and they will continue to sweeten the deal until someone takes it..
paulavery said:
BTW - I've heard airlines do this. While at the gate they'll come over the PA and start asking for people to be bumped off the flight... and they will continue to sweeten the deal until someone takes it.
How I take this Paul is that the hotel, knowing they overbooked, gave the early birds the choice to take a deal hoping to keep everyone happy. Of course your early arrivals were going to get a room and they knew it, and they were not arriving completely exasusted from a full day of travel and after hauling all their luggage out of the car/taxi only to find that the hotel overbooked and they were going to have to travel somewhere else.
We have taken walkers at our inn and they usually tell us the story the next morning. You are right that being proactive rather than reactive is a better way to do things. I am sure that if we were to take walkers in the early day, rather than late in the afternoon, they would arrive far less grumpy and enjoy their stay far more. After a good night's sleep the walkers, while still not happy over having their plans changed for them, are far happier than if they had stayed at the hotel they booked (and they let us know).

I guess the main thing to remember is in their minds they are the "only" child. :)
Little do they know we refer to them by room name or number as they come and go so quickly they are not all that memorable. Shhhh! Don't let that cat out of the bag will you.
wink_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
This weekend we had people here for a golf tournament, a softball tournament, a birthday getaway, and a horse show. I remember the name of the horse...
=)
Kk.

BTW - I've heard airlines do this. While at the gate they'll come over the PA and start asking for people to be bumped off the flight... and they will continue to sweeten the deal until someone takes it..
paulavery said:
Airlines are highly regulated in regard to overbooking and bumping passengers. Hotels are not regulated at all. Hotels don't have to do squat if they overbook. I was looking this up last week and there are business classes you can take to teach you how to play the odds on overbooking hotel rooms at your lodging property.

i don't know much about the airline thing. this would be 10 years ago, a woman i worked with loved going to vegas. she and her husband would always let the airline know they were willing to be bumped off their flight, they were also happy to be walked by their hotel to another place ... it was a game to them ... collecting perks like betting chips and upgraded rooms, free rooms and free flights. i have lost touch with her and don't know her 'system' or even if that still happens these days, but i tend to want to leave as planned and get where i'm going, not be asked to fly the next day due to overbooking. weather delays are one thing. but i would be totally stressed out by trying to win at this game. what can i say? she was a gambler.

i don't know much about the airline thing. this would be 10 years ago, a woman i worked with loved going to vegas. she and her husband would always let the airline know they were willing to be bumped off their flight, they were also happy to be walked by their hotel to another place ... it was a game to them ... collecting perks like betting chips and upgraded rooms, free rooms and free flights. i have lost touch with her and don't know her 'system' or even if that still happens these days, but i tend to want to leave as planned and get where i'm going, not be asked to fly the next day due to overbooking. weather delays are one thing. but i would be totally stressed out by trying to win at this game. what can i say? she was a gambler..
When my daughter worked for an airline we could fly free on standby. Lots of people gamble like that, too. Just show up and hope there's a seat.
If you don't have a need to be somewhere at a particular time, it definitely works. Tough tho, to coordinate the flight and cancelling the hotel room too if you're hoping to get bumped.

Back