Wall paper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
I have stripped off wall paper in one room. DH is painting woodwork right now. We then are going to paint. I have been pouring over pictures of bed and breakfasts and B&B photorgrapher sites. I am seeing a trend of paint not wall paper or borders. I have looked in all the Country Livings, County Home, and others to see that there is not wall paper or very little. Do you all think this is the new trend. Everyone knows what a thinker I am so I have been thinking about this for sometime. Now I look at what I took off and see that it was a bit to many flowers for some men. I need a middle ground.
So trend wall paper or paint. What is your feel.
I am going to paint just now but once the dust settles who knows.

We have slowly but surely been removing wallpaper and replacing it with paint over our 7-ish years of ownership. I have wallpaper left in one bedroom and the powder room, but that's it. Personally I find paint a lot easier to maintain and clean and I can vary the furnishings or patterns in the room to make it pretty.

We stripped hideous vinyl wallpaper and borders from one geust room bathroom. The room is so much brighter and cleaner. Wallpaper behind a pedestal sink with no backsplash - idiots!!!!
Anyway, I don't mind a wall of paper here or there, just not everything covered in paper. In these old houses it was easier to cover the plaster than make it look good. DH spent a long long time getting the walls smooth.

Absolutely paint! If you have a Pottery Barn catalog, or just go to their site, you can see what paint colors are up and coming and they are for sale at Benjamin Moore.
I would strip every inch of wallpapre off if I had the time and any idea what I might find underneath. We've done 6 bathrooms so far and it is SO much better!

REMOVE the WALLPAPER! I know it looks really good in some situations, but all the HGTV shows..take off wallpaper first thing. It is too personal for most people. No one has the same taste. I put up borders in some rooms here and I still like it..but if I were doing it again...JUST PAINT!!!

We removed at leaset 6 layers pf wallpaper (with layers of paint interspersed) from walls AND ceilings in the guestrooms and bathroom upstairs. Surprisingly, there was none downstairs - so it either had already been removed or in our rooms, was behind the ugly 1970s wood paneling. We painted all the rooms after smoothing up the plaster and put a wallpaper border at the top of the walls in a couple rooms. It was a lot easier for my one-armed paper hanger to deal with a paintbrush. Just the borders were interesting - even with my 2 hands in the mix.

What style of B&B do you have??? I think that plays an important part in the decision. I mostly do not like wallpaper, but I think it's beautiful in a Victorial as long as it's period looking and not 80's style.

Meant to mention that the new B&B people who are on here and have been reno-ing since Jan, have beautiful new wallpaper that looks terrific with their style of house. And it's a new wallpaper that looks original, back to the period of their house. My wallpaper looks original to the '80's (1980) so is very out of fashion right now.

rrh said:
Wallpaper is actually starting to make a come back after taking a back seat to paint and faux finishes for the past few years. They are some beautiful new patterns being produced these days. It took DW weeks of agonizing before she picked her patterns. I wore out the sample books holding them up all over the place for her to decide. Since we have a massive stone fire place that was not changing or going any where she matched the paper colors to the Manitou Green Stone it is built of. We think it turned out pretty nice.
r
Yes, you're the person I meant! Just lousy with names...

Wallpaper is actually starting to make a come back after taking a back seat to paint and faux finishes for the past few years. They are some beautiful new patterns being produced these days. It took DW weeks of agonizing before she picked her patterns. I wore out the sample books holding them up all over the place for her to decide. Since we have a massive stone fire place that was not changing or going any where she matched the paper colors to the Manitou Green Stone it is built of. We think it turned out pretty nice. All of our guests have made positive comments.
r

Let me add that unless you hire a "designer" I wouldn't put in wallpaper. Those in the know can do a beautiful job, those not in the know - oi veigh.

Back