Warning about discrimination cases

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
was rung last night by a very rude lady purporting to be ringing on behaf of two male friends who wanted to book our last double room for a particular date as it was all we have left or "do we have a policy against that sort of thing?" said it wasn't a problem but it was a zip and link room so if they were friends rather than a couple whateve suited them. She then hung up no bye, ill let them know or whatever and could hear a man speaking in the background. I have a feeling they were fishing for a discrimination case from what was said. Don't know what the law in the US and everywhere else is but in the UK they have said it is illgal to discriminate on this basis just thought that is she is fishing she probably isn't alone.
Cos who says "do you have a policy against that sort of thing?"

In Canada and the UK there are already two famous cases, but in both cases the owners were religious and decided that they were entitled to take their personal religious beliefs into their businesses.
For information on the British Case, see goo.gl/ED4Bx. In the case of the PEI couple, Dagmar and Arnost Cepica, they were found to be in violation of Canadian Human Rights for refusing a Gay couple. In Canada, businesses don't have religious beliefs, only people do, therefore as a business they are not entitled to discriminate.
In the US there is no national law, it's state to state and city to city. If I remember correctly there are only 13 states that protect housing discrimination of this kind.
But as far as I know, only one case has gone ahead in the UK. And I figured most innkeepers in the UK don't really care and if they did, they likely read about that case and don't want to hand over a large settlement.

Exactly. Anyone who asks like that is probably looking for something to get wound up about. But, maybe she had called a lot of places who turned her away and she was frustrated.

We have a tricky one in our state. Service dogs are allowed anywhere by law but we now have a new one. Dr's can prescribe a dog as medication for a condition. So far I know it was tested in apartments and held up. So if your Dr says you need to have a dog, you can rent in a no pets building. It is treated like a wheel chair or a pair of glasses for example. So I wonder how long before someone tries to take one to a B&B?

We have a tricky one in our state. Service dogs are allowed anywhere by law but we now have a new one. Dr's can prescribe a dog as medication for a condition. So far I know it was tested in apartments and held up. So if your Dr says you need to have a dog, you can rent in a no pets building. It is treated like a wheel chair or a pair of glasses for example. So I wonder how long before someone tries to take one to a B&B?.
Here the state is backing up to the Federal reqs. The previous law allowed any animal for any medical purpose. Now it is dogs only for certain reasons. Whatever the fed reg is. I have to read it again. I don't think that has passed yet, here. But it will make it easier for everyone when it does.

We have a tricky one in our state. Service dogs are allowed anywhere by law but we now have a new one. Dr's can prescribe a dog as medication for a condition. So far I know it was tested in apartments and held up. So if your Dr says you need to have a dog, you can rent in a no pets building. It is treated like a wheel chair or a pair of glasses for example. So I wonder how long before someone tries to take one to a B&B?.
toddburme said:
We have a tricky one in our state. Service dogs are allowed anywhere by law but we now have a new one. Dr's can prescribe a dog as medication for a condition. So far I know it was tested in apartments and held up. So if your Dr says you need to have a dog, you can rent in a no pets building. It is treated like a wheel chair or a pair of glasses for example. So I wonder how long before someone tries to take one to a B&B?
Think someone posted just that a while back.Wonder what the law is if you have a fee for bringing a pet, does this expempt them from the fee? Just wondering if instead of saying No Pets, have a costly fee posted.

toddburme said:
Think someone posted just that a while back.Wonder what the law is if you have a fee for bringing a pet, does this expempt them from the fee? Just wondering if instead of saying No Pets, have a costly fee posted.
copperhead said:
toddburme said:
Service animals are not considered pets. I don't think hitting them with a fee would stick.

toddburme said:
copperhead said:
toddburme said:
Adding a disclaimer here. I have no problem with actual service animals, it is this new prescription based 'need' and if I recall from previous discussions on this topic we can not ask for any proof.

toddburme said:
copperhead said:
Fees not allowed. You're supposed to think of the animal as an extension of the person.
OK, here are the Fed Regs (you'll have to click thru) This thread is listed under 'Legal' on the Resources tab if anyone is looking for it again.
https://www.innspiring.com/resources/legal/service-animal-obligations
(You should check your own state's regs, they may be stricter.)

Back