Washing Machine

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
We are looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer for our small 2 room place. We do mostly weekend business.
We have our eye on a Whirlpool Cabrio 7600XW large capacity washer and its companion dryer. From what I have been able to find on the web, it gets mixed reviews. When it works, it works great. However, there are also negative reviews. I take some of these with a grain of salt because some of them are obviously written by individuals not used to the newer technology.
I kind of hate buying anything with too many bells and whistles because of the potential for one little part to go out that cripples the entire system.
What kind of washer/dryer combos do you use? Do you like them? Would you recommend them?

PT,
Just replaced our 10 year old (gave it to my daughter) Whirlpool top load washer and dryer set with a Whirlpool front load Duet set. I am not into all the bells and whistles either and this seemed to be a good/easy one. My husband did all the research and he found this one to have the best reviews. I just wanted Whirlpool again and I wanted a cycle that didn't take longer than 30 mins. I hate those that tell you you have 10 min. remaining and it still isn't done 1/2 hour later. I put everything on the quick cycle no matter how large a load and it works like a charm - even did my queen sized comforter in it!

How does it handle sheets? Does it have an agitator? Some of the negative reviews of the Cabrio were that it tangled the sheets. However, it could be that they ran it on an incorrect spin cycle.

How does it handle sheets? Does it have an agitator? Some of the negative reviews of the Cabrio were that it tangled the sheets. However, it could be that they ran it on an incorrect spin cycle..
As an appliance salesman, I have heard ALL the horror stories when it comes to washers. Most are operator error, especially when it comes to front loads. If you have a back problem or a room that cannot take take a front loader The Cabrio/Bravo/Oasis series are the way to go. The newer ones are not as quiet as the older ones. And if you spin the daylights out of them the sheets will twist. But the front loaders are the way to go. Better washability, more efficient, less moving parts. The Samsung VRT & Kenmore AST systems have the best balancing system on the market today. Good for small loads or big loads. Both are stackable. No matter which you get you MUST only use HE detergent, and dilute the fabric softener by 50% before putting it in the machine.
BBBBob

How does it handle sheets? Does it have an agitator? Some of the negative reviews of the Cabrio were that it tangled the sheets. However, it could be that they ran it on an incorrect spin cycle..
Sheets no problem in the Whirlpool Duet - no agitator in front loads. I recommend getting the storage cabinets that go underneath each appliance to avoid back problems. The only thing I don't like about the front loads is taking it from washer to dryer I lose all the little items in transit - they tend to fall to the floor. I need to remember to put the basket directly below or always make sure the laundry room floor is really clean!

I don't use HE detergent..
What is HE detergent and why do you NEED to use it in some machines? Never heard of it b4!
HE is the European formula for soap. Highly concentrated. Very low sudsing. You would use very little soap, The powder style that we use is about 2 teaspoons per load. On some front loaders (not the Duet, but you should see the HE symbol in your soap drawer) the wrong soap will cease the bearings on the machine which can be quite an expensive repair. It should be used in all front loaders as well as the new agitator less machines. The complaint of smelly machines comes mainly from use of the wrong soap, or too much of the right soap & softener.
BBBBob

HE stands for high efficiency. Here is a way to test your own detergent, run a cycle as you normally would with nothing in it, and if it suds up in there, then you are using too much detergent, this means it is staying in your clothes as well, and prob making you itch.

We have the Sanyo front loader and it has cut our laundry to a quarter of what we used to do. I love it. Yes, the sheets get tangled in the dryer, but they also got tanged in our old top loader. I would rather have that then waste all the electricity and water on the top loaders. We got them on sale too which was sweet
RIki

BBBob the smell came from the stupid rubber door seal on the front of the washer where the mould builds up, and yes I wiped it out daily, and yes I ran vinegar through it and NO i never used fabric softener and yes I used the correct amount of the correct HE detergent. I even reverted to washing in only cold water and in the end after years of mould there and irritation gave them away and bought the cabrio series top loading biggest and most basic machines.
The door on the cabrio is the widest and curved, so easier to toss stuff in from the washer. Go and open them in person and you will see what I mean, not a port hole like some have.

BBBob the smell came from the stupid rubber door seal on the front of the washer where the mould builds up, and yes I wiped it out daily, and yes I ran vinegar through it and NO i never used fabric softener and yes I used the correct amount of the correct HE detergent. I even reverted to washing in only cold water and in the end after years of mould there and irritation gave them away and bought the cabrio series top loading biggest and most basic machines.
The door on the cabrio is the widest and curved, so easier to toss stuff in from the washer. Go and open them in person and you will see what I mean, not a port hole like some have.
deleted.

I would not purchase any equipment from Sears as they will not honor their warranty here in Charlottesville when they find out you are a B&B, not a normal household.
I still say that getting the sheets done in 1/4 the number of wash loads means we are using less water and less electricity.
RIki

I would not purchase any equipment from Sears as they will not honor their warranty here in Charlottesville when they find out you are a B&B, not a normal household.
I still say that getting the sheets done in 1/4 the number of wash loads means we are using less water and less electricity.
RIki.
egoodell said:
We had that problem with Sears and Lowe's. We recently had to replace our washer (I think it is our third in 8 years) and found that Best Buy will write a commerical warranty for our usage. That's where we bought our LG. I'm happy with it so far.

At the Inn, I had Bosch front loaders, and hated them...at least the washer. A big towel load would take upwards of two hours just to wash!
Here at the new house, I have new Frigidaire Affinity models, and love them so far. Way bigger capacity, quieter, and has several wash options, including a steam and allergen option and a quick wash option.

At the Inn, I had Bosch front loaders, and hated them...at least the washer. A big towel load would take upwards of two hours just to wash!
Here at the new house, I have new Frigidaire Affinity models, and love them so far. Way bigger capacity, quieter, and has several wash options, including a steam and allergen option and a quick wash option..
Wendy, I totally missed that you moved!!! And sold the B&B!! Congratulations!!!! When did all that happen? I knew I was away for awhile....

Any heard of the silver care? Uses silver ions to sanitize. This is suppose to be a very old concept reinvented.

Here at the new house, I have new Frigidaire Affinity models, and love them so far. Way bigger capacity, quieter, and has several wash options, including a steam and allergen option and a quick wash option..
I'm working part-time as an assistant to someone who is visually impaired. She said that her Bosch have been nothing but trouble and they are not easy to operate when you are not sighted. (I guess none of them really would be except my simple old Whirlpools. ;-)
I had to find the model number today on the dryer - no heat. Repair guy can't get to her for at least a week. It's out of warranty and she has young kids. She's had multiple repairs on both the washer and dryer in the last 5 years.
I don't know if I'd ever really like the front loaders.

Any heard of the silver care? Uses silver ions to sanitize. This is suppose to be a very old concept reinvented..
Not for a washer..but my hot tub uses silver ion cartridge instead of the regular chemicals.

Back