Waste Receptacles in Bathrooms

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
According to our health department and (it may have been AAA when we were in that years ago as well) we are required to have COVERED WASTE RECEPTACLES/BASKET/BINS in the guest bathrooms. ie not open/lidless.
Trouble ours are dying out and I cannot find replacements for them. I have what look like little kitchen trashcans with lids with the liners, and they are starting to crack (esp the lids) from cleaning them.
I have kept my eyes peeled for these and cannot locate them anywhere. Do you have covered waste receptacles in your bathrooms, and if so where did you get them?
PS I don't want the type with the foot pedal to open them (which are the only type I can seem to find anywhere) and they need to be something I can wipe down and clean with dysinfectant.

We had the ones with lids, thought it was a requirement by the health dept, but in our first week here 2 guests said they would not touch the covers to throw anything out so they left the trash on the floor. (Thank you so very much. Not.) I asked around and was told there was no such statute here so I took all the covers off and now the cans are open. Plastic liners because I don't want to scrub them out each time.
It's their trash for Pete's sake. Not like they're coming across trash from 15 other people in a public restroom!
I don't know if that helped you or not.
http://www.amazon.com/Umbra-Metallic-White-Mini-Wastebasket/dp/B000KKMNPU
They don't have many colors. I like the simple human products.

http://www.organizeit.com/mini-swing-top-trash-can-black.asp#
http://www.nordisco.com/shop/Product.asp?idsection2=111&id2=&strSKUPrefix=SAF&strSKU=9750WH

We had the ones with lids, thought it was a requirement by the health dept, but in our first week here 2 guests said they would not touch the covers to throw anything out so they left the trash on the floor. (Thank you so very much. Not.) I asked around and was told there was no such statute here so I took all the covers off and now the cans are open. Plastic liners because I don't want to scrub them out each time.
It's their trash for Pete's sake. Not like they're coming across trash from 15 other people in a public restroom!
I don't know if that helped you or not.
http://www.amazon.com/Umbra-Metallic-White-Mini-Wastebasket/dp/B000KKMNPU
They don't have many colors. I like the simple human products..
Madeleine said:
...2 guests said they would not touch the covers to throw anything out so they left the trash on the floor....It's their trash for Pete's sake. Not like they're coming across trash from 15 other people in a public restroom!...I like the simple human products.
Yes, I hate covered trash cans. Don't get the point in the case of someone's private bathroom, and the lids almost never open and close they way they should.
I also like the simplehuman products. We have had several of their things for a couple of years now, for evaluation, and zero problems with them. Well designed, well made. If you want to go all-out, get the sensor can that opens and closes itself automatically! (I'm sure it's too expensive, but if they make it, I'll bet it works properly.)
http://www.simplehuman.com/sensorcan/

I was told by the health dept a lid was required. In one bathroom I have a small crock that DH made a wood lid for. We screwed a wooden spool on to it to use to open it. Although most guests DO use it, I find a lot of trash in the large white oak basket on the other side of the sink that is meant for used towels. the other bathroom has a small-size garbage can with lid (I mean shaped like a regular garbage can - but pink).

I was told by the health dept a lid was required. In one bathroom I have a small crock that DH made a wood lid for. We screwed a wooden spool on to it to use to open it. Although most guests DO use it, I find a lot of trash in the large white oak basket on the other side of the sink that is meant for used towels. the other bathroom has a small-size garbage can with lid (I mean shaped like a regular garbage can - but pink)..
I hate to say it out loud but how many times does anyone from the health dept show up at the door and inspect to see if there are covers on the bathroom trash cans? How many times does the HD show up period? What do they check? The AAA person goes into more detail than the HD person does. If the HD person even shows up! (And AAA has no qualms with the open trash cans.)
Sometimes I think it's just better to let the chips fall where they may and run our business in the way that makes the guest comfortable. BTW, when was the last time you were in a hotel in WV? Covered trash cans in the bathrooms? Probably not. Maybe with a shared bath it's required?
I've seen some incredibly dirty inns that if the HD showed up would be shut down before the day was out. But, they're spread too thin and unless someone complains they stick to the really dangerous inspections like tattoo parlors, meat lockers and the like.
It's hard enough for guests to get trash into an open-topped can. I'm not making it harder for them. In some cases, even a kitchen-sized trash bin wouldn't contain all the junk guests dump in the rooms. Easy, simple, clean, that's my philosophy.
Doesn't help JB who is actually looking for swing-top cans, but there I go, off on a tangent again!

We use plastic liners with no lids. I always put an extra liner folded up in the bottom of the container in case the guest fills and removes the original.
Since we are on a sepitc system, we have disposible bags for feminine products, condoms and everything else. These usually go in the bathroom trash and when they do, the guest usually takes care of removing the bag (Thank you God.) We have a large trash receptacle outside, but near the cottages and these "gifts" usually end up there.
We recycle when we can, but I ain't touching no guests' trash.
barf.gif

I was told by the health dept a lid was required. In one bathroom I have a small crock that DH made a wood lid for. We screwed a wooden spool on to it to use to open it. Although most guests DO use it, I find a lot of trash in the large white oak basket on the other side of the sink that is meant for used towels. the other bathroom has a small-size garbage can with lid (I mean shaped like a regular garbage can - but pink)..
I hate to say it out loud but how many times does anyone from the health dept show up at the door and inspect to see if there are covers on the bathroom trash cans? How many times does the HD show up period? What do they check? The AAA person goes into more detail than the HD person does. If the HD person even shows up! (And AAA has no qualms with the open trash cans.)
Sometimes I think it's just better to let the chips fall where they may and run our business in the way that makes the guest comfortable. BTW, when was the last time you were in a hotel in WV? Covered trash cans in the bathrooms? Probably not. Maybe with a shared bath it's required?
I've seen some incredibly dirty inns that if the HD showed up would be shut down before the day was out. But, they're spread too thin and unless someone complains they stick to the really dangerous inspections like tattoo parlors, meat lockers and the like.
It's hard enough for guests to get trash into an open-topped can. I'm not making it harder for them. In some cases, even a kitchen-sized trash bin wouldn't contain all the junk guests dump in the rooms. Easy, simple, clean, that's my philosophy.
Doesn't help JB who is actually looking for swing-top cans, but there I go, off on a tangent again!
Madeleine said:
I did not realize she was looking for swing-top, just saying what we did for covered trash baskets. I looked at it as because of the, as PT put it, "presents" that would be deposited. As for the HD - they came when I called them when I opened and other than threatening to come out to inspect (and I put it that way as they never called to say they were coming - may it just stay that way), all they REALLY want is my check every year for a permit. AND my money for a food handlers card that is required (watch a movie and pay your cash).

We were required to have covered trash cans in the kitchens and in the "shared" half bath on the first floor. We were also required to have covered trash cans outside, stored in the proper location according to health dept guidelines. And the Health Department showed up here unannounced twice a year and did check our trash cans at each visit. They also checked a lot of another things with a fine toothed comb, and other things they didn't nitpick. Their rules, their choice to focus on what they thought was important. We were prepared for whatever.
JB, I've found small covered trash cans at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, KMart, and Walmart with ones from the last two being the cheapest and the first store being the sturdiest. I don't think I'd pay over $10 and I wouldn't get anything too small. Just my 2 cents...
I had larger, interesting containers for trash in the guest rooms - baskets and the like - but everything always had a plastic liner. People throw away all kinds of stuff....

We were required to have covered trash cans in the kitchens and in the "shared" half bath on the first floor. We were also required to have covered trash cans outside, stored in the proper location according to health dept guidelines. And the Health Department showed up here unannounced twice a year and did check our trash cans at each visit. They also checked a lot of another things with a fine toothed comb, and other things they didn't nitpick. Their rules, their choice to focus on what they thought was important. We were prepared for whatever.
JB, I've found small covered trash cans at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, KMart, and Walmart with ones from the last two being the cheapest and the first store being the sturdiest. I don't think I'd pay over $10 and I wouldn't get anything too small. Just my 2 cents...
I had larger, interesting containers for trash in the guest rooms - baskets and the like - but everything always had a plastic liner. People throw away all kinds of stuff.....
Correct, they are too small the ones people are seeing online, and of course, they can't be too big.

Did anyone ever die from an open trash can in a bathroom? cos I doubt it! we have the operate with a foot peddle kind and havn't had any trouble the only thing is I would get plastic bins as we had some metal ones and they got rusty. also I think viper had those motion activated ones and said the problem was people were so facinated with them they kept opening and shutting them till they were out of batteries all the time!

Did anyone ever die from an open trash can in a bathroom? cos I doubt it! we have the operate with a foot peddle kind and havn't had any trouble the only thing is I would get plastic bins as we had some metal ones and they got rusty. also I think viper had those motion activated ones and said the problem was people were so facinated with them they kept opening and shutting them till they were out of batteries all the time!
why does the trash can in a private guest bathroom have to be covered?
confused_smile.gif
sorry, no advice on the what to get .. but i don't understand this rule.

confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
Bureaucrars do not have to make sense. Theirs is to obfusitcate, confuse, demand, and take your money any way they can.

confused_smile.gif
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
Bureaucrars do not have to make sense. Theirs is to obfusitcate, confuse, demand, and take your money any way they can.
gillumhouse said:
seashanty said:
confused_smile.gif
Bureaucrars. [Buoor. uh. krars] noun. The bastard child of a bureaucrat and a russian cszar.

JB - sorry no help here. I do have small foot pedel style in each bath for personal hygene products (along with bags), but I also have an open can in each.
I do not understand the need for the covered can, every hotel I have been to in recent memory has open cans.

I know you said you didn't want pedal bins, but we have Brabantia mini pedal bins in all our bathrooms, in stainless steel. They're easy to keep clean and very sturdy (as are all Brabantia products in our experience).
I have a Brabantia ironing board, it's was expensive but I need something robust due to the amount of usage. A few years ago the legs broke off my old board, they rusted through, partly due to the amount of water from my steam generator iron, I suspect. I got in touch with Brabantia and they asked me to email them photos of the problem. This I did and a week later a brand new ironing board arrived.
Same with our bin in the kitchen, Brabantia push-spring lid broke, got in touch and they sent me a new lid.

Back