Wasted breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
This weekend we do a buffet because these guests don't eat. Well, the husbands eat, the wives don't. But the husbands don't eat much (a bagel is pushing it). But, we have other guests in the house who MIGHT eat so we put out a nice carbo spread. Bagels, fresh fruit, banana bread, toasting bread, juice.
So, one person had some banana bread, one had a bagel and one took a box of rice krispies for the road. The 'other' guests? Never made an appearance.
Guess who's eating bagels for a week?
This is why we don't make a full sit-down for this weekend. Eating 3 leftover quiches is not my idea of fun. Tomorrow is always a crapshoot. They MIGHT eat, the probably won't.

As a guest, I would pass on an all carb breakfast myself. I would probably eat a small piece of banana bread or half a bagel and maybe half a banana. I need some protein to last until lunch! I would be looking for eggs!!!

Same thing here - but actually loving it.
2 rooms (related) neglected to tell me that they had to go organize a memorial service this morning so wouldn't have time for breakfast. I wrapped up one of the crab quiches to take with them - very happy.
Second room - hubs went out to take early morning photos so wife (who I REALLY like) and I got to chat while she ate breakfast alone. Hubs then came back and had a late breakfast - loved the honeydew salad and the crab quiche. Wife has promised she'll recreate the salad when they get home. Last room STILL isn't up, but I'll probably get them to have the last two slices of crab quiche as an early lunch.
Bottom line - I went from potentially only serving one slice of the two quiches I made to almost certainly dishing out ALL of it.
I have a full house and NO check-outs / ins today. Happy Happy Joy Joy

As a guest, I would pass on an all carb breakfast myself. I would probably eat a small piece of banana bread or half a bagel and maybe half a banana. I need some protein to last until lunch! I would be looking for eggs!!!.
OK, tomorrow I am serving eggs (in a quiche). Again, they will walk out the door without eating. The carbo spread was THEIR idea. After the first year when I tried to fix them a full, sit-down breakfast and I was left with full plates of food that no one had touched I asked if a buffet would be better. Oh yes! Much better. Granola, yogurt, and all of the above. Hmmm. I didn't see the yogurt out, maybe hubs forgot it and by the time I was up, the guests were all gone. (7:30)

As a guest, I would pass on an all carb breakfast myself. I would probably eat a small piece of banana bread or half a bagel and maybe half a banana. I need some protein to last until lunch! I would be looking for eggs!!!.
OK, tomorrow I am serving eggs (in a quiche). Again, they will walk out the door without eating. The carbo spread was THEIR idea. After the first year when I tried to fix them a full, sit-down breakfast and I was left with full plates of food that no one had touched I asked if a buffet would be better. Oh yes! Much better. Granola, yogurt, and all of the above. Hmmm. I didn't see the yogurt out, maybe hubs forgot it and by the time I was up, the guests were all gone. (7:30)
WHY not be straight to the point and just ask..WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR BREAKFAST TOMORROW? I wouldn't waste time making quiche if no one is going to eat it:-(

WHY not be straight to the point and just ask..WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR BREAKFAST TOMORROW? I wouldn't waste time making quiche if no one is going to eat it:-(
catlady said:
They're all gone. They won't be back until late. This is the hardest weekend we have (and the easiest). They don't eat but someone might want to. They're gone by 8 AM and we don't see them all day. And I have 'other' guests in the house besides this group.
Also, I hate the open-ended questions about breakfast that end up with some wanting this and some wanting that. Remember, we're talking 14 guests here!

I would just put it out there and be done with it. They don't seem to care one way or the other. Make up something easy and take it back if they don't eat it.

catlady said:
They're all gone. They won't be back until late. This is the hardest weekend we have (and the easiest). They don't eat but someone might want to. They're gone by 8 AM and we don't see them all day. And I have 'other' guests in the house besides this group.
Also, I hate the open-ended questions about breakfast that end up with some wanting this and some wanting that. Remember, we're talking 14 guests here!
Grrr...LIke junie says..just put something out and don't worry about it. SInce you don't post menus, they get what they get.

catlady said:
Grrr...LIke junie says..just put something out and don't worry about it. SInce you don't post menus, they get what they get.
catlady said:
We DO post the menu. I have 3 rooms tonight that are 'other' guests. But 2 of those rooms are going to a wedding (another group I have found don't eat). I don't want to slam hubs with a 'cook in the morning' breakfast either.
Oh well, he likes quiche...

2 rooms (related) neglected to tell me that they had to go organize a memorial service this morning so wouldn't have time for breakfast. I wrapped up one of the crab quiches to take with them - very happy.
Second room - hubs went out to take early morning photos so wife (who I REALLY like) and I got to chat while she ate breakfast alone. Hubs then came back and had a late breakfast - loved the honeydew salad and the crab quiche. Wife has promised she'll recreate the salad when they get home. Last room STILL isn't up, but I'll probably get them to have the last two slices of crab quiche as an early lunch.
Bottom line - I went from potentially only serving one slice of the two quiches I made to almost certainly dishing out ALL of it.
I have a full house and NO check-outs / ins today. Happy Happy Joy Joy.
I want crab quiche...
broken_heart.gif

=)
Kk.

I have a full house and NO check-outs / ins today. Happy Happy Joy Joy.
I want crab quiche...
broken_heart.gif

=)
Kk.
may we have the recipe for the crab quiche?

OK, it's 9:15 and 4 guests have eaten (that's 2 rooms). 2 guests have left, no breakfast. 2 guests said last night they wouldn't be eating, they'd rather sleep in and the other 2 rooms don't even seem to be awake.
Other than the 2 who said they wouldn't be eating and 2 who left early (and always do) I wish there was a better way to nail down who wants to eat and who doesn't. Without having to wait up until they get back at midnight to ask if they will be eating.
Total slices of quiche served this morning...4. Total number of guests in house...13.

OK, it's 9:15 and 4 guests have eaten (that's 2 rooms). 2 guests have left, no breakfast. 2 guests said last night they wouldn't be eating, they'd rather sleep in and the other 2 rooms don't even seem to be awake.
Other than the 2 who said they wouldn't be eating and 2 who left early (and always do) I wish there was a better way to nail down who wants to eat and who doesn't. Without having to wait up until they get back at midnight to ask if they will be eating.
Total slices of quiche served this morning...4. Total number of guests in house...13..
Can you freeze it? Otherwise, I guess you're eating quiche all week!

Total slices of quiche served this morning...4. Total number of guests in house...13..
Samster said:
Hubs will eat 2-3 slices and then we toss it. I'm eating bagels all week, remember! (Except I've eaten the ones I like, the rest-yuck.)

It would be GREAT if they would let you know their plans the night before and then not change their minds.
I have had guests tell me as they head out the door in the morning that they are saving me work by not eating. They believe this. Depends on what I was planning to serve whether or not there is saved effort or not. If I've been waiting and have everything set to make, it's kind of a pain. But worse is when they just slip out the door without saying goodbye. Most things I cook up as the guest comes in like waffles or pancakes or eggs.
Quiche is another story. And I will eat two day old quiche cuz I do love it! Can you freeze and reheat quiche?

It would be GREAT if they would let you know their plans the night before and then not change their minds.
I have had guests tell me as they head out the door in the morning that they are saving me work by not eating. They believe this. Depends on what I was planning to serve whether or not there is saved effort or not. If I've been waiting and have everything set to make, it's kind of a pain. But worse is when they just slip out the door without saying goodbye. Most things I cook up as the guest comes in like waffles or pancakes or eggs.
Quiche is another story. And I will eat two day old quiche cuz I do love it! Can you freeze and reheat quiche?.
seashanty said:
Can you freeze and reheat quiche?
Yes, at least, it's good enough for me... not sure about for serving to guests.
=)
Kk.

Quiche is another story. And I will eat two day old quiche cuz I do love it! Can you freeze and reheat quiche?.
seashanty said:
Can you freeze and reheat quiche?
Yes, at least, it's good enough for me... not sure about for serving to guests.
=)
Kk.
Actually, that's what I meant for Bree - to freeze & reheat it for them. Quiche with a salad makes a nice dinner for us.

Back