Watch out - No notice will be given!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
bandb.com called me a few months ago with the offer sign up at the Silver Level for 3 months - no strings attached. OK, it is free and no strings I will see if it makes a difference. This morning I bring up my e-nail and find a Thank You for Your Payment!! HUH???? I had paid with my cc the last time I renewed because I did not have the cash. They DID NOT contact me to say - The 3 months is up are you going to continue? NO! They charged a monthly carge to my credit card. I do not WANT my credit card charged! I DO NOT WANT to continue.
I had hits to the web site but I cannot trace ANY reservation to them. I am NOT paying $420 a year (if paying monthly that is what it comes to) PLUS CC fees for a listing that does not produce for me. I consider this an outrageous act. ASK ME FIRST!!!! SO KEEP TRACK IF YOU ARE ON THE 3 MONTHS.with bandb.com.

Yeah, all companies do that - they are assuming you will forget when the 3 months is up (which we all do). I have gotten to the point where I make a note in my calendar to remind me when the free period is up and then I call a few days b4 to cancel (If I know I do not want to continue the service). You have to learn to beat them at their own game. You should just be able to call and say you no longer want the service and they will refund any $$ due you. Try to be in a good mood when you call too! Kill them with kindness and you will get what you want.

This is from the bb.com website
[FONT= 'times new roman']100% No Risk Guarantee[/FONT][/h3][COLOR= #f28226]Free no-risk trial membership![/COLOR]
It’s the perfect way to see if BedandBreakfast.com can put heads in your beds! Try it free for 90 days with no risk. If you are unhappy for any reason, simply cancel your membership before the free trial ends and pay absolutely nothing.

That's a pretty common practice for any company giving away a free subscription.

yup ... and kathleen, you are sharper than the average tack. in other words, some people don't pay much attention to the auto billing. at least they sent you an email thanking you for the payment. lots of places dont although i think they should have to. my sister got a free sample of some kind of pantyhose and every month these packages of pantyhose would come. she kept saying, 'oh, i'll have to call them about this.' 3 dozen pairs of panthose, plus trouser socks later, she's paid quite a lot for that free sample!! silly sister.

I e-mailed in a rage this morning. When I got back from the tree planting (Garden Club is 80 and as part of the celebration we had the FFA plant a tree at the high school) there was another e-mail. The charges were reversed and the listing cancelled.
The stupid part of all this is that had they just sent me an e-mail saying (or a phone call) the trial period is almost up, would you like to make this a monthly payment or pay in full and will you be sending a check or using the credit card, I had planned to sign on for the Bronze listing now that it does have the link and would have done it as a single payment. That part would have been a business decision to retain presence on the Directory. This would have been strictly a business decision.
Here are my reasons for being angry over and above the fact they just did it: Not once, but twice, on this Forum I expressed displeasure about bandb.com practices First time was when - after several YEARS of not paying attention enough to get ticked - I noticed 1/3 of my page (it was set up in 3 columns) contained a flashing ad, the kind that distracts, for Monster.com and then the next time I pull up MY page there is an ad for $1500 off for Tahiti. WHAT????? I paid for that page, there should be no ads there. After stating this on the Forum, Eric came on here and took the time to ream me a new one. I dropped the listing when it came for renewal. Within a month - the ads there gone and when called, I did renew.
Then when i got my next renewal notice that stated in these tough times (or something to that effect) recognizing the economy was in the tank my renewal was going to be $400 for the Silver Level, the lowest level with link to me via e-mail or web site - quite a jump from $269 the previous year! The Bronze had no link, the equal to the old days of having an ad with name and address but no phone number. When I said that is it, I am going to quit. Bronze Level is throwing money away. Once again, rather than addressing the issue, I was once again reamed a new one. And shortly thereafter Bronze had the link.
It has been pointed out to me that in the time period that another Directory had 1 that clicked through to my web site, bandb had 8 - but I have nothing to show me any of those 8 had booked (I can usually tell from the address of the resevations who was on my site from where). Had even one booked, as a business decision, I would have stayed. As a business decision, had I been asked, I would have stayed as Bronze - the equivilant to a $75 revenue night is better than no revenue night. Due to the history (given for newcomers) and the high-handed tactics (none of us would treat our guests that way and we are his "guests"), I will put my money elsewhere. And BTW, I walked away from almost $150 in featured property dollars that were sitting there.

I e-mailed in a rage this morning. When I got back from the tree planting (Garden Club is 80 and as part of the celebration we had the FFA plant a tree at the high school) there was another e-mail. The charges were reversed and the listing cancelled.
The stupid part of all this is that had they just sent me an e-mail saying (or a phone call) the trial period is almost up, would you like to make this a monthly payment or pay in full and will you be sending a check or using the credit card, I had planned to sign on for the Bronze listing now that it does have the link and would have done it as a single payment. That part would have been a business decision to retain presence on the Directory. This would have been strictly a business decision.
Here are my reasons for being angry over and above the fact they just did it: Not once, but twice, on this Forum I expressed displeasure about bandb.com practices First time was when - after several YEARS of not paying attention enough to get ticked - I noticed 1/3 of my page (it was set up in 3 columns) contained a flashing ad, the kind that distracts, for Monster.com and then the next time I pull up MY page there is an ad for $1500 off for Tahiti. WHAT????? I paid for that page, there should be no ads there. After stating this on the Forum, Eric came on here and took the time to ream me a new one. I dropped the listing when it came for renewal. Within a month - the ads there gone and when called, I did renew.
Then when i got my next renewal notice that stated in these tough times (or something to that effect) recognizing the economy was in the tank my renewal was going to be $400 for the Silver Level, the lowest level with link to me via e-mail or web site - quite a jump from $269 the previous year! The Bronze had no link, the equal to the old days of having an ad with name and address but no phone number. When I said that is it, I am going to quit. Bronze Level is throwing money away. Once again, rather than addressing the issue, I was once again reamed a new one. And shortly thereafter Bronze had the link.
It has been pointed out to me that in the time period that another Directory had 1 that clicked through to my web site, bandb had 8 - but I have nothing to show me any of those 8 had booked (I can usually tell from the address of the resevations who was on my site from where). Had even one booked, as a business decision, I would have stayed. As a business decision, had I been asked, I would have stayed as Bronze - the equivilant to a $75 revenue night is better than no revenue night. Due to the history (given for newcomers) and the high-handed tactics (none of us would treat our guests that way and we are his "guests"), I will put my money elsewhere. And BTW, I walked away from almost $150 in featured property dollars that were sitting there..
Not to derail here, but I am on the monthly billing and I DID just get an email saying that my year is up in a month. That's giving me time to cancel, if I want to. I need to check what the new fees will be to determine where I want to be next year. I just went and checked and the fee has gone up by $5. Call me cynical, but isn't that the same amount of money you can get deducted if you get a review?
But, yes, it is all auto billing, which I hate. I will not get any magazine subscriptions that require payment via cc and have 'easy, auto renewal' as a 'perk'.
Sorry, one more thing...the chart on the membership page shows 'no direct link to your website' at the bronze level. Is this accurate?

It has been pointed out to me that in the time period that another Directory had 1 that clicked through to my web site, bandb had 8 - but I have nothing to show me any of those 8 had booked (I can usually tell from the address of the resevations who was on my site from where). Had even one booked, as a business decision, I would have stayed. As a business decision, had I been asked, I would have stayed as Bronze - the equivilant to a $75 revenue night is better than no revenue night. Due to the history (given for newcomers) and the high-handed tactics (none of us would treat our guests that way and we are his "guests"), I will put my money elsewhere. And BTW, I walked away from almost $150 in featured property dollars that were sitting there..
Not to derail here, but I am on the monthly billing and I DID just get an email saying that my year is up in a month. That's giving me time to cancel, if I want to. I need to check what the new fees will be to determine where I want to be next year. I just went and checked and the fee has gone up by $5. Call me cynical, but isn't that the same amount of money you can get deducted if you get a review?
But, yes, it is all auto billing, which I hate. I will not get any magazine subscriptions that require payment via cc and have 'easy, auto renewal' as a 'perk'.
Sorry, one more thing...the chart on the membership page shows 'no direct link to your website' at the bronze level. Is this accurate?
Bree said:
You can have a link at the Bronze level - looking at that chart now, I'm not sure if you only get it if you are a Rezo/Weberv customer, though. There is an asterisk at the bottom but it is not really clear what it refers to. Also, the monthly prices reflect a $5 credit for one review per month, so add $5 to that monthly charge if you aren't getting at least one review a month.
Wait, no - they call the link to your website and availability a bonus link for Rezo/Weberv customers...
It's a little confusing and misleading. They're not so good at the fine print, are they? Like on the gift cards...

At the bottom of the chart it states:
*Includes links from BedandBreakfast.com to your website and availability calendar if you are a RezOvation Booking Engine or Webervations customer only.
And in the box explaining the fees it states *Costs reflect a $5 monthly/ $60 annual credit based on getting one review posted monthly on your paid member listing.
I did get a response letter with my reversal that I finally got around to reading. Here is an excerpt.
You are one of the very few clients I have experienced that has held such fervent, continuous animosity towards our company. I am not sure where you get the idea that our company is out to harm you in any way… we work hard to go above and beyond our member’s expectations and to provide you with marketing solutions that work.

*Includes links from BedandBreakfast.com to your website and availability calendar if you are a RezOvation Booking Engine or Webervations customer only.
And in the box explaining the fees it states *Costs reflect a $5 monthly/ $60 annual credit based on getting one review posted monthly on your paid member listing.
I did get a response letter with my reversal that I finally got around to reading. Here is an excerpt.
You are one of the very few clients I have experienced that has held such fervent, continuous animosity towards our company. I am not sure where you get the idea that our company is out to harm you in any way… we work hard to go above and beyond our member’s expectations and to provide you with marketing solutions that work.
gillumhouse said:
There's others like you?!
And, oh boo hoo, how could you think that about us? (Which ,of course ,you don't...)
=)
Kk.

All I can say is "Wow". I will continue to trust the gut feeling that I get with EVERY interaction I have with this company. If you're up for a little light reading some time, Google the names of anyone at the executive level and see what their background is. Here's a hint, it's NOT b&b's.

gillumhouse said:
There's others like you?!
And, oh boo hoo, how could you think that about us? (Which ,of course ,you don't...)
=)
Kk.
If you remember from the second time he reamed me and then added in those of you who were also not happy. perhaps "it had to do with the phase of the moon". I will NEVER forget that one, for one thing no apology was issued and it went over the top in civility of business to clients as far as I am concerned. If an innkeeper treated a guest the way WE as a group were treated, we would have no guests. THAT is why I have animosity for those who are wondering.

Now that's a pretty personal email response. Personal not in a good way.

It has been pointed out to me that in the time period that another Directory had 1 that clicked through to my web site, bandb had 8 - but I have nothing to show me any of those 8 had booked
For accuracy that should probably read that from bandb.com 88 clicked through to website and 8 then went on to check for availability. while from bbonline 83 clicked through to your site and 1 went on to check availability.

You only get a link with the Bronze Level if you are using Webervations

If I recall you can get a discount if you pay for the entire year vs monthly. They did it monthly for so many inns, like ours who requested a monthly payment. When we bought this place the PO's had let every directory lapse and we had to renew ALL OF THEM immediately in the off season when we took over, and they come up every year the same time, same time when ALL of our taxes are do and guests are sparse. So I am thankful they allow monthly payments.
This is from the Goby.com inn the news I just posted, as well - "Photos representing these activities are pulled in from source sites likebedandbreakfast.com as well as from Google and Flickr. "
So they are OUT there, and for the first time in history they have bypassed bbonline on my referral reports here. I will say this is due to them showing up in the VA B&B searches now.
I was unhappy about the gc increase with no notice, I do not participate in that now. I was unhappy about no link on bronze, I was forced to be silver, now I am bronze since i have webervations which they now own. I am, paying now what silver used to be. Inflation...we discount our rates and everyone else raises them.
I won't get into discussions with many at BandB.com - there is one I respect who visits our forum. I wish you had contacted him, or did you?

If I recall you can get a discount if you pay for the entire year vs monthly. They did it monthly for so many inns, like ours who requested a monthly payment. When we bought this place the PO's had let every directory lapse and we had to renew ALL OF THEM immediately in the off season when we took over, and they come up every year the same time, same time when ALL of our taxes are do and guests are sparse. So I am thankful they allow monthly payments.
This is from the Goby.com inn the news I just posted, as well - "Photos representing these activities are pulled in from source sites likebedandbreakfast.com as well as from Google and Flickr. "
So they are OUT there, and for the first time in history they have bypassed bbonline on my referral reports here. I will say this is due to them showing up in the VA B&B searches now.
I was unhappy about the gc increase with no notice, I do not participate in that now. I was unhappy about no link on bronze, I was forced to be silver, now I am bronze since i have webervations which they now own. I am, paying now what silver used to be. Inflation...we discount our rates and everyone else raises them.
I won't get into discussions with many at BandB.com - there is one I respect who visits our forum. I wish you had contacted him, or did you?.
No, I respect John. I was so enraged that I just did a reply to the Thank you for your payment. I do not feel anyone should be allowed to charge me anything without my permission and lately have been geting billed for not using services. So this one really set me off. I had just checked my bank balance and it was lower than I expected to hear and at first that kicked in as why and when I realized it was not, I apologized for that but did still object to the credit card hit.
You must sign up for long distance service with someone. My toll-free was with Worldcom because I did not want MCI (hated their commercials). THEN MCI bought Worldcom and then Verizon bought MCI. However, the 2 are separate services and we have our long distance service listed with Verizon. I use my cell phone for all long distance calls NUT Verizon charges me $5 per month because I did not use $5 worth of long distance. Huh?? That is what they told me when I asked this month - I had not noticed it because DH pays the bill and this month he asked what it was. I sure wish I could charge people for not staying here - other than no-shows who did contract for the services.

I won't get into discussions with many at BandB.com - there is one I respect who visits our forum. I wish you had contacted him, or did you?.
No, I respect John. I was so enraged that I just did a reply to the Thank you for your payment. I do not feel anyone should be allowed to charge me anything without my permission and lately have been geting billed for not using services. So this one really set me off. I had just checked my bank balance and it was lower than I expected to hear and at first that kicked in as why and when I realized it was not, I apologized for that but did still object to the credit card hit.
You must sign up for long distance service with someone. My toll-free was with Worldcom because I did not want MCI (hated their commercials). THEN MCI bought Worldcom and then Verizon bought MCI. However, the 2 are separate services and we have our long distance service listed with Verizon. I use my cell phone for all long distance calls NUT Verizon charges me $5 per month because I did not use $5 worth of long distance. Huh?? That is what they told me when I asked this month - I had not noticed it because DH pays the bill and this month he asked what it was. I sure wish I could charge people for not staying here - other than no-shows who did contract for the services.
Interesting how these vendors always come on here glad handing when they have something to push or advertise. However, when there is a customer complaint or question they don't wish to answer; they make themselves scarce.

Interesting how these vendors always come on here glad handing when they have something to push or advertise. However, when there is a customer complaint or question they don't wish to answer; they make themselves scarce.
SweetiePie said:
Ouch...
Sorry for being a little out of touch. Been a little hectic here. 3 out of 7 of my oldest daughter's daycare classmates have H1N1... so we have her out of daycare and it is a little hectic rig.
I really don't think that statement is fair though - I think the majority of things we do is answer complaints or questions. Everyone has my direct email as well. Sometimes it is hard to keep track of everything on the forums - there are a lot of posts every hour, much less in a couple days.
I definitely try to stay on top of it as much as humanly possible.
As for the billing, we set it up this way as many innkeepers had asked us over and over to do so. We do notify everyone in advance when their next period of billing is up or renews - something I think few companies do. We definitely can get better at it though as you are pointing out in terms of language, etc.
Gotta go - on AA flight with wifi and landing!

Gillum House,
Sorry about that!
It is not our intent to trick anyone into paying us! The reason we give away a three month no-risk free trial membership.is so we can clearly demonstrate that for most (certainly not all) innkeepers, we deliver a good ROI and are worth the membership price - and there is no need ot trick folks inot paying us or upsetting our customers..
We explain up-front on the site and in the emails that innkeepers simply need to let us know they would like to cancel at anytime before the 90 days is up and we will get their membership cancelled with no obligation. You also should have been receiving emails every month with your traffic stats to remind you about your free trial.
Sorry it snuck up on you but I am glad to hear our support folks got it resolved for you.
Thanks for giving us a try!
Eric
PS. Monthly billing is an option we added at innkeeper's requests. You may always pay annually as we had in the past, and you save 5%.

Back