Water

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McQuade72

Reaction score
Do you all charge for bottles of water? What kind of mark up if so? I don't want to nickel and dime guests but need to figure out drinking water.

No charge. I put a couple bottles in the guest fridge and a basket of fruit & snacks in the rooms Asa welcome.

We put a glass bottle with local tap water, no charge. We charge $1 for bottled water. The city water is bottled by one of the processors and marked as PWS... (Public Water Source). It's better than most of the bottled stuff.

We supply glass bottles of filtered tap water (we have a fridge with a filter, not that there's anything wrong with the tap water).
We don't supply plastic bottles because we try to avoid single use plastics as much as possible.

Too much plastic waste. Unless your water is non-potable provide guests with drinking glasses and tell them the tap water is fine.

Too much plastic waste. Unless your water is non-potable provide guests with drinking glasses and tell them the tap water is fine..
Morticia said:
Too much plastic waste. Unless your water is non-potable provide guests with drinking glasses and tell them the tap water is fine.
That's what I do. Our local tap water was judged best in the region by our regional TV station, so I tell them that. For me it's more about the trouble of having to go buy more water bottles, and restock them in the rooms all the time, than the cost or ecological concerns.
There are a lot of nice amenities I have thought of to add, but then say to myself, do I really want to have to carry that too, to restock rooms, along with all the soaps and lotions and shower caps, etc. etc. etc. I'm already having to carry from room to room at cleaning time, and reorder every time I turn around. Enough is enough!

Too much plastic waste. Unless your water is non-potable provide guests with drinking glasses and tell them the tap water is fine..
Just put it in fancy glass bottles on the table that says "aqua plumbi" (Water from the Tap - in Latin)

We have a water cooler with recyclable cups. Tell guests we don't do plastic bottles for green reasons. They're cool with it.

Morticia said:
That's what I do. Our local tap water was judged best in the region by our regional TV station, so I tell them that. For me it's more about the trouble of having to go buy more water bottles, and restock them in the rooms all the time, than the cost or ecological concerns.
There are a lot of nice amenities I have thought of to add, but then say to myself, do I really want to have to carry that too, to restock rooms, along with all the soaps and lotions and shower caps, etc. etc. etc. I'm already having to carry from room to room at cleaning time, and reorder every time I turn around. Enough is enough!
Funny, I'm the same way - oooo, that would be a fun amenity! But...
Half the time the housekeeper forgets the amenities we do have. I'm not adding more.
Some places here added Keurigs to every room. Nice, but. Restocking every room, adding sugar and milk, cleaning the machines. No, thanks.

Morticia said:
Funny, I'm the same way - oooo, that would be a fun amenity! But...
Half the time the housekeeper forgets the amenities we do have. I'm not adding more.
Some places here added Keurigs to every room. Nice, but. Restocking every room, adding sugar and milk, cleaning the machines. No, thanks.
Morticia said:
If you put one in the common room you can have it for the guests without all the trouble in the rooms.

We supply 2 complimentary bottles of water in each room with a note to the effect that our tap water is great but as a courtesy to our traveling guests we provide these 2 bottles. (This lets them know not to ask us for more than these 2!) We ask them to use the empty bottles to refill with tap water to take on their adventures or to kindly place the empties in our recycle bin. Works like a charm!

We offer 2 of the smaller bottles in the room upon check-in, then have a buffet in the hall with a gallon jug filled with our filtered tap water and glasses. We used to offer additional plastic bottles on the buffet in the hall, but one older couple used over 24 bottles in a weekend - WTH?!?!?!?!?! That pushed me over the edge! Now we only put 2 per room and do not put extras on the buffet!!
I do like the idea of filling a larger capped bottle for each room - then I could eliminate the plastic bottles altogether!

Just put it in fancy glass bottles on the table that says "aqua plumbi" (Water from the Tap - in Latin)
Doesn't "plumbing" come from "plumbum", Latin for lead, so "aqua plumbi" may violate a bunch of Canadian health laws.

Doesn't "plumbing" come from "plumbum", Latin for lead, so "aqua plumbi" may violate a bunch of Canadian health laws.
Plomb is the French word for lead. And plomberie is the French word for plumbing... since plumbing at one time was lead pipes.... a long time ago.
Which is why it's easier to remember the periodic table around here... we learn a Latin language :)

Plomb is the French word for lead. And plomberie is the French word for plumbing... since plumbing at one time was lead pipes.... a long time ago.
Which is why it's easier to remember the periodic table around here... we learn a Latin language :)
Generic said:
easier to remember the periodic table around here...
You would thus enjoy Argentina.
I was hoping to yank your chauvinistic chain with my crack about "bunch of Canadian health laws". At least you could have mentioned Flint MI. And, Canada guideline for lead is 10 ppb, proposed last year to be cut to 5. In US, EPA action level for Lead in drinking water is 15 ppb, current administration unlikely to propose reductions.

We keep an endless supply of water and soda in a mini fridge in our kitchen. Are we nuts?

We keep an endless supply of water and soda in a mini fridge in our kitchen. Are we nuts?.
We do that as well, sure every so often you have a guest that takes a few extras but we don't worry about it. Our room rates start at $139 so we can afford a few waters.

We keep an endless supply of water and soda in a mini fridge in our kitchen. Are we nuts?.
We do that as well, sure every so often you have a guest that takes a few extras but we don't worry about it. Our room rates start at $139 so we can afford a few waters.
Thank you for replying.Are you an Innkeeper?

We don’t offer bottle water as I don’t see an advantage to the guests over our own well water, we do provide several soft drinks and a coffee maker in each room

Yes, my wife and I own and run a 4 room historic inn near Asheville, NC.

Back