WD40

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aieechihuahua

Reaction score
I got an email a few weeks ago about all the uses fro WD40. One of the uses really hit home for me. Does anyone else have really hard water? We do and the mineral deposits on every thing in the bathrooms, especially the fixtures is horrible to deal with. Chrome and brass alike are such a pain in the neck with all those dots, and I disinfect but don't want to srub and scratch them. I used WD40 as suggested in the email and I was amazed. It wasn't perfect on all the metal surfaces, but it was certainly the best thing I have ever used to ket the mineral deposits off the faucets. I need to dig up that email and take a look at the other off-the-wall uses for WD40. I am impressed. Some of the fixtures look like new.

“All of life’s problems can be solved with two things—duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn’t, you need duct tape. And if it doesn’t move and it should, you need WD40.”—Unknown
regular_smile.gif

“All of life’s problems can be solved with two things—duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn’t, you need duct tape. And if it doesn’t move and it should, you need WD40.”—Unknown
regular_smile.gif
You KNOW that had to be written by a man.

regular_smile.gif
Country Girl said:
regular_smile.gif
That's great! And here I always thought the other problem solver was Marvel Mystery Oil!

i'm not going to criticize anyone's choices ... but to me wd40 is serious stuff ... i am trying to get away from using so many chemicals.

Here is a link to what WD40 is made up of chemically. Probably would make us lose our "green" cred with folks.
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/17-05/st_whatsinside
Here are some much less volatile remedies that we use, but they do require lots of elbow grease and regular application to work effectively. Once stuff gets really pitted or stained though there isn't a magic cure and then we treat it like the stained sheets or towels, part of the cost of doing business.
Home Remedies for Cleaning Hard Water Stains
  • Remember that acidic things work the best on hard water stains. So, whenever you want to remove hard water stains, use something that has acidic properties.
  • Put some pure, white vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it on the surface that has hard water stains. Rub with a clean cloth.
  • Take a lemon and cut it into half. Rub the inner part of one of the halves directly on the stain.
  • Put 1 tsp of Calgon in one gallon of water. Wash the stained area with the solution and then rinse with water.
  • Mix white vinegar and baking soda and make a paste. Spread it on the stain and let it sit for a while. Thereafter, rinse thoroughly with water.
  • Put a small amount of baby oil on a clean cloth and rub it over the stained surface.
  • Add some bleach to water. Use the solution to get rid of the hard water stains from almost all the surfaces.
  • Mix equal parts of the vinegar and olive oil. Dip a cloth in this solution and use it to scrub off the stains.

Here's the list off of Snopes.com.
Thanks Sweety...now I don't have to look up the email and I have a more accurate list of uses. I never thought to look it up on snopes, and I am a big fan of them. I have to admit I fell for the "fish oil" blurb. What a "der" I am sometimes. It did work better than all the vinegar, borax, baking soda, CLR, Lime-away, orange oil and a vast number of other things we have tried.
This thread also made me think of another remedy my mom had for those rings that formed on her antique end tables from condensation off of glasses. She made a paste out of real mayo and cigarette ashes and rubbed it into the dried white mark. The marks vanished. The wiped off the paste and it was a miricle.

Thanks for sharing :)
Now I don't have no excuses why I can't get those fixtures clean..haha

I'll be posting a receipe that uses WD-40 as its main ingredient. The stuff just slides right down.

Back