We’re ‘those people’

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
We’ve been enjoying the cooler weather here up until last night. We’ve had the windows open and, during the day when no one else is here, we’ve left the door to our room open, too.

Last night it got humid and stifling so Gomez turned on the A/C. When I went to bed, I first checked the door was locked and the windows closed. Nope. We’d been running the air with the windows wide open.

We’re ‘those people.’

I have flies in the house. Guests are opening the windows without the screens.

Screens are essential here. Mosquitoes. By. The. Million.

Of course, guests leave the front door open while they make multiple trips to the car to get their stuff, then they complain that the place gets full of mosquitoes.

One guy even helpfully speculated that they must be coming in through some air leak in the bathroom. Nope, the bathroom is sealed up tight. YOU let the skeeters in through the front door!

Screens are essential here. Mosquitoes. By. The. Million.

Of course, guests leave the front door open while they make multiple trips to the car to get their stuff, then they complain that the place gets full of mosquitoes.

One guy even helpfully speculated that they must be coming in through some air leak in the bathroom. Nope, the bathroom is sealed up tight. YOU let the skeeters in through the front door!
Sarcastic note: Please feel free to keep the door open while you load and unload, the mosquitos need feed.

Sarcastic note: Please feel free to keep the door open while you load and unload, the mosquitos need feed.
That would be good.

Arkansas is the largest US rice producing state. My town is in the foothills of the Ozarks where they meet the 1.25 million acres of rice fields. Rice fields are flooded with water all summer. It kills the weeds, but not the rice, meaning no need for herbicides. It's a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes :rolleyes:

You should see them fogging the Little League fields with mosquito killer on baseball game nights. I pity those little kids, and their future medical bills!

You should see them fogging the Little League fields with mosquito killer on baseball game nights. I pity those little kids, and their future medical bills!
@Arks I seem to remember it being a game to follow the mosquito fogger truck as teenagers in the 50's, wonder if some of those things just toughened us up for old age.

@Arks I seem to remember it being a game to follow the mosquito fogger truck as teenagers in the 50's, wonder if some of those things just toughened us up for old age.
My older sister tells of when all the parents in the neighborhood would spray a fog of DDT on their kids regularly with one of these things.

ddt.jpg

My older sister tells of when all the parents in the neighborhood would spray a fog of DDT on their kids regularly with one of these things.

View attachment 141

Pappy had one of those in the barn - we sprayed the cows down before we sat down to milk them. Kept us from being #1 - hit in the face by a tail flicking flies away #2 - helped us from being bitten by the horse flies and other visitors the cows brought in from the pasture. Then we took the buckets of milk in for Granny to strain & bottle.

Back