We become the company we keep

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Go open Twitter or Facebook right now. Take a look at the people who put stuff into your head ever fleetingly, 140 characters at a time. Is their stuff good for you or bad for you? When you read what they have to say, do you feel better or worse? When you hear them speak, do you feel energized and excited or cynical and dismissive? Do they use their social media channels to inspire with stories about people in their lives who have helped them or whine about the poor service someone gave them?
Read more: We become the company we keep, part 2 | Christopher S. Penn's Awaken Your Superhero http://www.christopherspenn.com/2010/07/26/we-become-the-company-we-keep-part-2/#ixzz0umuVkPQD

So, this is going to sound awful, but there are times I have to take a break from this forum. And I know I am one of the people I would avoid! (Which is generally when I take a break- when I am becoming so snide, bitter, disillusioned that I bother me.)
Without reading the article, I have to agree with the title. I am becoming more like Gomez in that stuff doesn't bother me like it did. He has a completely different outlook, partly because he doesn't know all the trials and tribulations of all the innkeepers out there. He keeps himself to himself.

That is why I had to have a "Facebook massacre" and now have just 23 friends...all immediate family. I use it strictly to keep tabs on them and we use it for family parties and the like. I realized that I have ZERO interest in the hobbies, political views and especially children of people I went to school with decades ago!
Great thread.

Read the article, it is a good one.
DH just got on FB. Immediately he had a long lost mate from his Royal Australian Navy days contact him. Yeah the dude he was with when the dude was busted on drugs and dishonorably discharged, all of them got the brink while they searched their lockers etc and were cleared. He is living on Bribie Island in Queensland and is a slacker, still. His first post was riddle with F-Bombs. Dh said, I don't need this, and blocked him, I also don't need to read everyone's wall where they say "Just got the paper" "Having a cup of coffee" and other wasteful useless who-the-heck-cares-useless information.
I have blocked tweeters and now follow some good uplifting posters. It really does improve my day to read GOOD STUFF vs bad. I like it! I want to share good stuff with people!! Unlike my mother who has the news on 24/7 and lives like eeyore...
teeth_smile.gif

I agree... I use the hide, ignore, and block features of FB.
regular_smile.gif
I got rid of my Twitter account. I got tired of hearing the "I just ate a bagel" type of tweets. Just wasn't for me. I do use FB to stay in touch with my family members and good friends. Also found some people that I'd lost connection with and am glad to have re-connected to them.
I try to stay off the social networks when I'm being a twit but I'm not always successful. haha....

I agree... I use the hide, ignore, and block features of FB.
regular_smile.gif
I got rid of my Twitter account. I got tired of hearing the "I just ate a bagel" type of tweets. Just wasn't for me. I do use FB to stay in touch with my family members and good friends. Also found some people that I'd lost connection with and am glad to have re-connected to them.
I try to stay off the social networks when I'm being a twit but I'm not always successful. haha.....
I am with you on this. I got rid of Twitter. It was useless for me. It may be for some but not me. Facebook is helpful for keeping track of family and friends and I do a Facebook page for our tourism dept. at the Chamber along with a blog.

I am now entrenched in twitter. I have the absolute best time, have daily quotes of wisdom, links to news, information and so much more. I believe that twitter and FB have now reversed roles. I will only follow those cool tweets now, cool useful informative groovy stuff. I love it. I am into it.
My aunt says to me when I said "Can you send US some updates photos?" "Aren't you on Facebook?"
Sorry to FRIGGIN' BOTHER YOU. See how it is, FB everyone, nothing personal. NO THANKS. People I know, you need to still communicate and be REAL, not digital entities in our lives.

I am now entrenched in twitter. I have the absolute best time, have daily quotes of wisdom, links to news, information and so much more. I believe that twitter and FB have now reversed roles. I will only follow those cool tweets now, cool useful informative groovy stuff. I love it. I am into it.
My aunt says to me when I said "Can you send US some updates photos?" "Aren't you on Facebook?"
Sorry to FRIGGIN' BOTHER YOU. See how it is, FB everyone, nothing personal. NO THANKS. People I know, you need to still communicate and be REAL, not digital entities in our lives..
I just mailed photos to my mother. She called me to thank me for 'real' photos. My dad wanted to put the photo on the computer (as a screen saver) and my mother said, 'No, leave it right here in the dining room where I can see my precious great grand daughter all the time.'
What I have on my bulletin board right in front of me...
  • your fall biz card (for inspiration)
  • the paper doily you sent
  • Samster's room post card (for the memories of a great weekend)
  • son's pic (taken by my parents)
  • daughter's photo in a newspaper
  • postcards from the NY World's Fair (1964-5)
  • greeting cards from Gomez
  • my 'write your book' quote.
  • drawing of my '55 Chevy pickup that I will someday own (when the book is published)
Basically? Ephemera. Digital stuff I look at once. It has no 'meaning'. I love seeing the pix, but they are not 'real'.

Sorry to FRIGGIN' BOTHER YOU. See how it is, FB everyone, nothing personal. NO THANKS. People I know, you need to still communicate and be REAL, not digital entities in our lives..
I just mailed photos to my mother. She called me to thank me for 'real' photos. My dad wanted to put the photo on the computer (as a screen saver) and my mother said, 'No, leave it right here in the dining room where I can see my precious great grand daughter all the time.'
  • drawing of my '55 Chevy pickup that I will someday own (when the book is published)
Basically? Ephemera. Digital stuff I look at once. It has no 'meaning'. I love seeing the pix, but they are not 'real'.
Awwwwwwwwwww, sweet! My nephew's wife just sent me "real" pictures of my 4 year old great niece. They're on my fridge next to some photos of Joey & daughters! I'm with you, I check the albums on FB, etc. but I like having ones that I can look at all the time. I have a shelf above my kitchen sink where neat cards and notes from friends (used to be guests, too) were rotated. Makes me smile when I see them.....

I still write and 'snail' mail letters to dear old friends! We appreciate getting them in the mail and sending them too. We send photos and news paper clippings etc... And we still call each other even though we live thosands of miles apart. No we don't 'facebook each other' as they don't even own computers! (I can't imagine that)! But they are much older than me. I am greatful to have the influence of these dear friends in my life.

Back