We caught them...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
We caught them, saw them sneaking out in their suits and skipping breakfast. This was the gal who demanded to use the BB.com GC's and said "You are in the book you MUST accept them!" I heard them stomping around at 6am overhead so I knew something was up. Here for a graduation and skipped right out the door, n'er a word.
We called their cell phone, she answered. Thanks for letting us know, DH said to her.
Graduation weekends are a necessary evil for most B&B's.
pita.gif

Are they gone, gone or will they be back tonight? I didn't realize now was your grad weekend...those people are always just so miserable.

Back tonight. We had a two night min which is why we did not fill up (i didn't want only Fri night which is what happens!) Next weekend is VA Tech and I think Liberty, Hollins, Roanoke, etc.

GRRRR...just had a guest room check out because they were so hot in their room last night...because they JERK neighbor in the room next to them cranked the thermostat up. We usually keep it locked but the other guy was chilly so I turned it up a little bit for him and he saw me do it, I forgot to lock it and then he took it upon himself to turn it up to 80.

GRRRR...just had a guest room check out because they were so hot in their room last night...because they JERK neighbor in the room next to them cranked the thermostat up. We usually keep it locked but the other guy was chilly so I turned it up a little bit for him and he saw me do it, I forgot to lock it and then he took it upon himself to turn it up to 80..
Don Draper said:
because they JERK neighbor in the room next to them cranked the thermostat up.
That was our final straw to put locking covers on the AC thermostats. Someone turned the one for the downstairs zone down to 50, causing the heat to kick in and starting an endless all-night cycle of competing heat and AC. That guest, along with the one who opened all his windows when it's 80 and humid and then sent his mother down to tell me the AC wasn't working in his room - my least favorite guests.

GRRRR...just had a guest room check out because they were so hot in their room last night...because they JERK neighbor in the room next to them cranked the thermostat up. We usually keep it locked but the other guy was chilly so I turned it up a little bit for him and he saw me do it, I forgot to lock it and then he took it upon himself to turn it up to 80..
Don Draper said:
because they JERK neighbor in the room next to them cranked the thermostat up.
That was our final straw to put locking covers on the AC thermostats. Someone turned the one for the downstairs zone down to 50, causing the heat to kick in and starting an endless all-night cycle of competing heat and AC. That guest, along with the one who opened all his windows when it's 80 and humid and then sent his mother down to tell me the AC wasn't working in his room - my least favorite guests.
Because the weather has been fluctuating tremendously lately (we've had alternating days with heat and A/C on), I had left the thermostat cover unlocked. Yesterday this guy told me there was not heat in his room so I walked up and made sure his radiator was on and turned the heat up slightly. He of course was standing there and saw me do this and saw the cover was unlocked so of course helped himself to turning it on. Roll up the newspaper and whack myself on the butt, "Bad Innkeeper"...the guests who left I apologized that they were uncomfortable (I did not know at the time that the thermostat had been turned up so high) and said I wouldn't charge any more but would keep his 50% deposit. He didn't seem angry, and he had a wad of cash in his hand so I wondered if he was expecting to pay the rest. I'm kind of stumped, I feel it was my fault they were hot but at the same time you come to me hat in hand and don't even give me a chance to make it right...I wondered if I should refund him. DH says no and let it go.

We had lockboxes over our thrermostats as well, but that did not stop people from using a key in the slots and moving the thermostat (old fashion type) We were thinking of changing to the digital but ended up changing our sytems instead. We now have those split systems and each have their own units - lots less stress!

We had lockboxes over our thrermostats as well, but that did not stop people from using a key in the slots and moving the thermostat (old fashion type) We were thinking of changing to the digital but ended up changing our sytems instead. We now have those split systems and each have their own units - lots less stress!.
It is amazing how the threads wander in these posts. Sneaky guests, now thermostats!
Lock it, but also get a programmable model with (typically) 4 set points in the day. That way if some ones fiddles with it, it will soon revert to program automatically. Strategically set, heat is turned back at night, no matter what.

JB - some of ours slipped out as well...only one nighters. Sent me an email this morning that they had to get on the road. I thought I heard the door shut at about 8, just thought it was some wanting to get out in the garden. I think it was them, the email time stated 7:56. If they knew that, why not state we will be leaving before breakfast.
Well at least I was serving one of DH's favorites... he had one of theirs. Now I have a happy DH.

We had an odd chap in left me a bit disturbed turned up as a walk in yesterday with a friend who is a local man just wanted a room for 3 nights a single. Fair enough got odder and odder as the day went on asked me at 9.30am where he could "get a couple of beers" i thought here we go. came back about 1pm asked DH to call him an ambulance as felt unwell DH dashed in for the phone and when he came out the chap had wandered off again! so DH had to tell the ambulance he had disapeared he turned up again 10 mins later oh im ok now. Then he came back about 4pm said can you tell that other chap to come out of my room said ok but he is your friend why did you let him in? he said oh hes not my friend he's a homeless man who latched onto me (infront of 3 old ladies sat in the lounge!) said would you bring my things down so I can check if he has been touching them. I said I don't know whats yours and whats his (if he had cleaned him out) all that was in there was a shopping bag and a picture of a boat!Brought that down yes thats mine. Then said why should I trust you (at this point wanted him gone!) said maybe you shouldn't would you like your money back? if you don't feel happy here? he said yes then accused me of being in league with the other man who he also said was probably and undercover police man (he is a local bar tender) I said if you won't go then I will call the police and they won't be undercover and he walked off leaving his stuff. went straight in and called the police and said I am not taking responsibility for his stuff its on my step and I want it gone but when I went back up it was gone. I had taken a copy of his id so gave this to the police and they are going to keep and eye out. Just all a bit strange really.
think the other chap had realised how completely odd he was and made a break for it!

Holy Cow!! These kinds of stories make me glad I live in the country!
Cambs, do you ever have a "normal" day???

Cambs, do you ever have a "normal" day???.
Honestly? that aint far off what is a normal day for me lol! people say i should write a book. now and again I think about it. I wake up some days thinking I live in a carry on film! it was those two ultra disabled people who I took cos no one else can cope with them doing arobics at crack of dawn over my head or something and blind, deaf, bad legs, bad heart, (the one with only one eye was driving!) Im soft touch for disabled people due to my grandmother (who passed away 2 years ago) was very disabled and we appreciated places that helped so I try and help others where i can as so many places just go Not SUITABLE and slam down the phone. I feel bad for them. Maybe its cos I come from a loony bin family?

Honestly? that aint far off what is a normal day for me lol! people say i should write a book. now and again I think about it. I wake up some days thinking I live in a carry on film! it was those two ultra disabled people who I took cos no one else can cope with them doing arobics at crack of dawn over my head or something and blind, deaf, bad legs, bad heart, (the one with only one eye was driving!) Im soft touch for disabled people due to my grandmother (who passed away 2 years ago) was very disabled and we appreciated places that helped so I try and help others where i can as so many places just go Not SUITABLE and slam down the phone. I feel bad for them. Maybe its cos I come from a loony bin family?
We used to have a retired solicitor who would drive up from the US to visit Montreal. Couldn't read unless the newspaper was about 3 inches from his face, but drove! He came for Christmas, and was spreading Christmas joy, hourly to twinks. (It's a long story and was at our previous B&B and no one else was booked for Christmas. The rooms also had a private entrance. I wouldn't stand for that, now, but we were hobbists, then.)
PS: Just out of curiousity, how many knew what I was talking about without clicking the link?

My graduation weekend story is the family from CA. Reserved all 4 rooms last July, wanted just 1 night, and since I wasn't full last year for graduation, I figured I'd go for it. Arrived at 8pm, gone at 9am. Two of the women used my light brown makeup removal washrags to bathe with and saturated my good white face cloths, hand towels and even bath towels with makeup. My pile of laundry to pretreat is larger than the stuff I don't have to pretreat. We're talking 3 generations of makeup artists! Ah well, they're all gone.

We used to have a retired solicitor who would drive up from the US to visit Montreal. Couldn't read unless the newspaper was about 3 inches from his face, but drove! He came for Christmas, and was spreading Christmas joy, hourly to twinks. (It's a long story and was at our previous B&B and no one else was booked for Christmas. The rooms also had a private entrance. I wouldn't stand for that, now, but we were hobbists, then.)
PS: Just out of curiousity, how many knew what I was talking about without clicking the link?
... or, how many feared they knew what you were talking about and didn't want to click the link ... oh, I almost fogot, ;) I am supposed to use an emoticon to convey friendly irony as it always fails in context.

Maybe it was that kind of thing but the friend said he was gay but the other chap wasnt as we were laughing about what to tell guests if you were a gay couple running a B&B if they asked you if you were gay. Cos we were chatting about GB how tempting it would be so say yup were gay really really gay just to see the reaction.

Back