We did it and feel a burden lifted

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdwatcher

Reaction score
Well, owner has left and owner pretty much insinuated that because the Inn has not made any $$ or even broke even and since we are "slow" and in "idellness (sp)" and we have no guests and she is paying our salary that why couldn't we do the rest of the garden meaning a large victorian garden and surrounding areas at no extra pay. I told owner "Under no circumstances will I be going into the victorian garden to do it-we will do the beds that we did last year the front beds and right behind the Inn...which was part of the job when we got hired, but not the rest" Owner insinuated that we don't "do" anything when we don't have guests. I let my hubbie tell her that we are "on" 24/7, if we don't have guests we don't just say "hey, we dont have guests-lets go _____for the weekend" (we could if we owned it) also told her that even if we decide to take a drive we forward the phone (which we would do as owners-but we have a choice)-she just did not get that-and to boot we havent had any brochures, fixed the website and upteen thousand things that need upgrating to get more heads in beds...so needless to say
Owner said something about our future her and alot of BS that we have no control because we "dont know anything" -so we gave our notice cause its useless we cannot do our job and its not worth the tears...If anyone has any leads on innkeeping or caretaking jobs please e-mail us, we are available starting in November unless there is a position that is absolutely perfect for both parties we will consider earlier.
I tell you it was a relief and it gives us some time to hopefully get something else and someone that can at least let us do our job.

I bet it is a relief for you to have made that decision!! Better things are waiting for you!!

Good for you!
pita.gif

Things will be better in the long run.
There seems to be quite a few innkeeping jobs available... I have really stepped up my internet searching and am sending out 5-10 emails a week for potential jobs...
With all your experiance, I'm sure you won't have too much trouble finding the right new fitting job.

GOOD FOR YOU!! I would have told her what is what in no uncertain terms. She needs a good dose of reality. NO ONE WILL EVER PLEASE HER. Get out as fast as you can. I wouldn't hang around longer than is necessary. She doesn't deserve anything.

I am sure you feel like a large boulder has been lifted from your shoulders. Now you can look for another position with a clear conscience. Life is too short not to be happy while you work. Something good is going to happen.

I am relieved for you both. You can keep your heads held high knowing you did the best job possible. This person has clearly never been a front line person for her own business. Anyone who would tell an innkeeper that they don't "do" anything when there are no guests deserve a swift kick in the knees.
Keep the faith, take some time and think about what a perfect position would look like for you both and send that thought out to the Universe for a while. I think you'll land somewhere perfect for you.

Sounds like you really figured it out. Best of luck in searching for a new position!
I know that a local B&B owner here that hires everything done is clueless about what the employees do and how hard they work even though supposedly she and her husband did all the work when their place was small. Employees are always quitting there, or if they get upset and speak up, she fires them. I once thought that I could work there when we closed our business but then someone smacked me upside the head with a 4x4 and reminded me of what she was like.
I have something that I often read to remind me of what's important in life: "Work to live, don't live to work"
Take care of yourselves....

I'm so proud of both of you! It will be an unsettling time for you until you get your next job, but you can hold your heads up high and the weight of that horrible woman will be gone. I have faith that something better is in store for you. If you get a job offer before Nov, TAKE IT. Don't feel that you have any obligation to your current position.
cheers.gif

I wanted to say to do that before, but I am well aware with the current economic situation one has to be more cautious so I held my tounge. Long and short you are soooooo much better off and hopefully a new position will turn up that is a perfect fit for you. If it is any comfort I was made redundant once and did agency work for a bit untill I got the job I wanted and that's how I met DH so it obviously was meant to be otherwise we maybe would not have met. Just do what you can to be in good faith with yourself and do everything you can to get out of there ASAP.

Best of luck! You two deserve much better than that experience.

Thanks you all! This forum is a lifesaver for me-you listen, don't judge, give honest advise and cheer me on when I need it.
You all are the best-
cheers.gif

A lot may happen between now and November, she may even give you a raise !!

Yup saw that, and I have sent her our resumes a couple weeks ago..so moving right along

Back