We don't want your children....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfive

Reaction score
As most of our business is chill-out and/or romantic getaway traffice we are not a child freindly place. We only offer double occupancy which we thought took care of people wanting to bring their children. When people call we tell then that we are not condusive to children.
For the 2nd time recently we've had a couple show up with a child. Thier booking and correspondence shows double occupancy. I guess people think that they will just show up with the kid in tow and we will cave in.
At this point I am thinking that we need a clear policy. For those of you that don't accept children, how is your policy written.

I won't matter how it is written. We regularly get bookings where the parents think kids are free, so why bother mentioning them? Last time it was TWO kids. BTW, we do take kids and we still get that.
Clearly stated is the number of guests per room. That does not stop the callers who say the kid will sleep in the bed with them AND the OTHER kid will sleep in a chair.
Like everything else we try to plan on, the ones who don't think ANY rules, no matter how well-written, apply to them.
You could say, 'Our guest rooms accommodate only 2 adults. No children will be admitted to the inn. Please do not try to sneak them in.' (No, don't really say that, it's too weird-sounding, but you get what I mean.)

This used to happen frequently to us and I added this wording to our policies and it is also a separate item in the confirmation (it has helped, we very rarely get this anymore):
Code:
CHILDREN:  Our Inn is appropriate for children ages 13 and older only.  Arriving guests not adhering to this policy will not be permitted to check in and will be held responsible for full room charge.

Does your website state you are Adult only...NO children?
You could make a nice paragraph about being ADULT only on your website - excape the patters of little feet, destress yada yada... or if you already have one, maybe the message needs to be more clear. This will still not sink in to some as Mort already stated - simply rules only apply to everyone else.
"We only offer double occupancy which we thought took care of people wanting to bring their children.
When people call we tell then that we are not condusive to children."
As we all learn, you can't assume anything is simple enough for the average Joe... With some you just have to spell it out clear in first grade terms: "Sorry, we do not allow children of any age as we are set up as an adult getaway."
Then make your policy be very clear that your Blue room accommodates a max. of 2 guests. If there are 6 feet that show up on your door step, you can clearly send them away, keeping your deposit. If they try a chargeback, your policy and your website info will be your in your behalf.

This used to happen frequently to us and I added this wording to our policies and it is also a separate item in the confirmation (it has helped, we very rarely get this anymore):
Code:
CHILDREN:  Our Inn is appropriate for children ages 13 and older only.  Arriving guests not adhering to this policy will not be permitted to check in and will be held responsible for full room charge.

Rupert said:
Code:

Well, that certainly is clear. Have you had anyone challenge it? ie- show up with a kid and 'pretend' they didn't know?

You could charge the addtl person charge - and make it hefty enough.
The only sneak we had was a father and son and they showed up real late one Friday night when we were full up after they have driven 8 hours. I allowed them, and the kids voice was like nails on a chalkboard - you could hear him in the BATHTUB. Oh yeah, remember kids and baths and their sing songs and playing with shampoos etc. About made me nuts. The other guests asked me about it too. There was no extra person fee though, and other than his ultra whiny voice, he was not a bad kid.

Since we are a wine country-themed inn we can state that all guests must be 21 due to the fact that we have sparkling wine in every room for our guests. So we can use the state's drinking laws.
RIki

For those who accept kids - would you allow the kids in their own room if parents had the next room with ADJOINING DOOR?

For those who accept kids - would you allow the kids in their own room if parents had the next room with ADJOINING DOOR?.
Joey Bloggs said:
For those who accept kids - would you allow the kids in their own room if parents had the next room with ADJOINING DOOR?
Yes. And we have allowed older kids (teens) in the room across the hall from the parents. But, the adjoining room works out much better, even tho the kids could 'escape' if they wanted!
We will not allow young kids to be in a room that is not attached to the parents' room. No matter how much the parents beg.

Code:

Rupert said:
Code:

Well, that certainly is clear. Have you had anyone challenge it? ie- show up with a kid and 'pretend' they didn't know?
It never happened after we put this in the confirmation...which we did the day the couple staying in the room with one double bed showed up with their 11 month old baby in tow. They were asked to leave, but because we didn't have this specific policy in place we ended up refunding them. Not any more!

For those who accept kids - would you allow the kids in their own room if parents had the next room with ADJOINING DOOR?.
IF the kids are NOT toddlers - yes. I have done a second room for the kids at a reduced rate.

I had people ask if the kids could stay in the same room as parents. I told them no only two per room. They say we have a boy and a girl so it wouldn't work to get two rooms. I tell them one parent can stay in one room and one parent can stay in the other mom with girl and dad with boy. They seem shock that we would have even thought of that. They go away shaking their heads like well it would work but who would have thought of that.
These were kids over 12. I forgot to add that.

I had people ask if the kids could stay in the same room as parents. I told them no only two per room. They say we have a boy and a girl so it wouldn't work to get two rooms. I tell them one parent can stay in one room and one parent can stay in the other mom with girl and dad with boy. They seem shock that we would have even thought of that. They go away shaking their heads like well it would work but who would have thought of that.
sandynn said:
They just didn't WANT you to have thought of a solution...They didn't want a solution, they wanted one room - kids fee!

Yes, that was always a good solution here for the rare occasions that we've hosted kids here. I had one couple sneak in a little baby. Other than that, all the other children were on the reservation. The youngest child here was around 6 years old. Except for my great niece who is now 3 1/2. :) We aren't the kind of place that's set up for kids though.

Joey Bloggs said:
We don't have adjoining doors, but the answer is probably yes... We take kids, and we work with the parents to find an arrangement appropriate for everyone, taking into consideration age of kids and location in the house.
=)
Kk.

I do allow children and I have allowed the children to have a seperate room as long as they are 14 and above and that I can place them in the room next door. (other considerations are made as well on our part) Our policy regarding children does state that they be well behaved, yada, yada and it is made bold in their confirmation and noting that these special arrangements are subject to their behavior.
I have not been asked often and can easily count on one hand the times I have booked this. But the times I have, they have been nothing but the best behaved, rooms may be trashed (clothes etc.) while they are here but they have been good. And as far as the room goes, I have had adults that are worse.

We can't discriminate against children. We could lose our licence here in Canada. I say that my rooms are for two people maximum. I also explain that I am allowed only so many per room and so many guests in the house due to insurance and licencing. I can accept children if they are old enough to be in their own room because I can't have more than two in a room. I have not had a problem. I always ask at the time of booking if it is for two people? Children?

Back