We got a bad review

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddburme

Reaction score
The good news is, I told my partner to forget about it and right away we got two good ones. It is funny how the bad one did feel like a kick to the gut. I wonder if folks know how rotten it makes the owners feel?

I don't think they know how bad it makes us feel... I think they only know how good it makes them feel to write a bad one ... some people live for that.
SOrry you got a bad one, glad you got two new ones to replace it.

Yes, I hate to say it but I think they do at least for the real evil ones. Some that 'we' feel are bad are really not, they are just expressing their preferences. Took me a while to understand the difference as they all seem to hit the gut hard.

The hard part is, we need to really be able to see where we failed to provide servcie for that customer and is it something we can or should correct. While all you want to do is go lay down for a while instead hahaha

I don't think these people realise that we read them avidly i have lots that say I am lovely but go on to complain I don't think from what they say they have a clue that I read them! Also makes me cross that a lot of people think I am staff and not the owner but as I said to DH what's the alternative I wear a t-shirt saying I am the owner please complain to me?

So I read it... ya see folks it is a no win situation. The complaint (as it appears) is that there was little interaction between host and guest. Yet when Eric's bad review was posted it was because the guest felt there was too much interaction. These are personal prefrences people, we each are unique individuals and we as innkeepers are just that.

Wait!
First off I am sorry you had a bad review, none of us want that, but reading it (not as the owner or innkeeper) it did not seem like it was that bad at all, in fact they peppered it with nice compliments - 4 of them.
The residence was quite lovely(1), and we really enjoyed our bedroom and our large bathroom(2) which included a jacuzzi tub and a double shower (3)
Overall, the residence was beautiful (4) but it was just kind of disappointing in regard to service and experience
2) You got three bubbles, that is not bad at all. They seemed genuinely disappointed, so how you respond to this speaks volumes. A "one bubble" with a warning do not stay here! is a bad review, yours was not.
3) Pls tell me was this a "midweek coupon" discounted room? I know we are all wanting to know, since you just launched that and had this review pop up.
4) The worst part, and Todd you know I love you man, was the Mgmt response. I have not even read it as I type this but the length of it appears to be from obsessive mgmt. I highly advise, if possible, to go and remove that mgmt response. I am ONLY telling you this as your innmate and because I care. You have worked too hard to have that long response put people off. A simple "We're sorry we did not meet your expectations" and "Thank you for taking the time to share you opinion/comments" would be worth GOLD in lieu of the long response.

I beg of you to remove and rewrite your response.
As someone earlier said, short and sweet. It is not a good idea to discuss the merits and qualifications of a B&B vs a hotel. You should not negate their experience. Right, wrong, or indifferent.
Simply say that you appreicate their feedback and that you were sorry that you did not live up to their expectations. End of story. Keep the pain and the emotion out of your response.
No one (general public) wants to read it.
Use this forum for the emotions and the pain. We're here for you and can better understand what you are going thru. The general public neither understands nor cares.

I read both the review and the MR. Personally, I would shorten the MR a bit. Their biggest beef seemed to be short interaction from you, in other words... they liked you and they wanted you to talk to them more (opposite of my problem, where apparently some think I stalk them.) And the other is about not having breakfast served at the inn during the week.
The best response to the second is simply to say that we fully appreciate your comments and we will take them into consideration in the future. We are currently helping to support a wonderful deli.... never say that someone else's breakfast is better... say it is different. And just suggest that you appreciate the feedback and it will fade into everyone's minds that you guys care enough to hear what they are saying.
Then use the rest of the MR as self promotion of your policies. Don't talk about hotels or corporations, just what makes you different without comparisons. It's important to avoid comparisons even to other B&Bs.

Rethink on your management response. I read it fully but the explanation is just not needed & it's too lengthy. It's like you are trying to defend the lack of interaction & breakfast option.
Let's say your dismay is totally visible in the response, which may not go down well with those who read the review & response

I was going to ask if I was missing something...because IMHO that is definitely NOT a bad review. Honestly it's a case of the writer making your case for you (breakfast served at a local restaurant and guests left alone by the innkeeper!). I'd remove the MR totally, there's nothing there even worth talking about. As a prospective guest what they wrote would make me want to stay with you more, no lie.

I just read the response, you cannot negate the writer's feelings, it was "their experience" as we talked about last week "world view" they saw what they saw through their eyes, you can't go back and tell them what they saw was wrong.
Again, toward the end it got a little snarky on the mgmt response. Be careful, this is not what you want prospective guests to read.
and I have one more thing before I shut up. Todd you have sold packages to people who are ONLINE, so you will have to really dig your heels in as you will be getting more reviews than you bargained for. Address the reviewer - not the public, they really did not say a mean thing about you or your place, they actually really liked it, but it did not meet their expectations as a B&B (the second B, the interaction). Hugs to you today, as you read our responses, it may be a bit overwhelming. sorry innmate.

I was going to ask if I was missing something...because IMHO that is definitely NOT a bad review. Honestly it's a case of the writer making your case for you (breakfast served at a local restaurant and guests left alone by the innkeeper!). I'd remove the MR totally, there's nothing there even worth talking about. As a prospective guest what they wrote would make me want to stay with you more, no lie..
Im the same would not consider this a "BAD" review more an average one which in some ways is a good thing as it makes you more real to customers who are suspicious if you have too many 5*'s. They even admitted themselves you state clearly that you go out for your breakfast. Think it is a case of as so many people are "oh it says it on the web site but when I get there it will really be like this" can't win them all. If you'd talked to them for ages then they would have said you talked too much.

OK, so I read the response and I don't think you can edit a MR so take it as a lesson for the future...no one and I mean no one wants to read that defensive oration. Even if the review was one bubble, take 24 hours to write and sleep on a response. (And I'm sure plenty of us here would happily redact anything that was unnecessary if you wanted to ask for help.)
And I totally get wanting to crawl into bed for awhile. Probably more so now that you've read what we all said. Sorry. The response is just too much.

OK, so I read the response and I don't think you can edit a MR so take it as a lesson for the future...no one and I mean no one wants to read that defensive oration. Even if the review was one bubble, take 24 hours to write and sleep on a response. (And I'm sure plenty of us here would happily redact anything that was unnecessary if you wanted to ask for help.)
And I totally get wanting to crawl into bed for awhile. Probably more so now that you've read what we all said. Sorry. The response is just too much..
Alibi Ike said:
And I totally get wanting to crawl into bed for awhile. Probably more so now that you've read what we all said. Sorry. The response is just too much.
You can't edit, but you can submit a new one and they will replace it, for you.

I have to agree..you really got carried away with your response. They really weren't being that critical. You simply could have stated they knew your breakfast policy before they arrived and that was it. No need to go into all that detail...It makes you look too needy.

And I totally get wanting to crawl into bed for awhile. Probably more so now that you've read what we all said. Sorry. The response is just too much..
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Did not know that...good info.

Well I have a partner, and that was his response. I asked him to just put "We are sorry you felt this way, and we are looking into what we can do better." the response just made me laugh as NO ONE has the interest in reading that. So it sort of made a rule that we both have to read the response before it is posted as this one is too much.
Also explains why I waited so long to post aobut the "bad" one. hahahaha.
This policy of sending people to the deli made a lot of sense over the winter when we had one room. But we have already looked into how to change that.

Todd, the first one is the toughest. As others have said, it's not really bad. Get together with your partner and rewrite the MR. Thank them for their positive statements and tell them that you're evaluating how best to provide breakfast to your guests.
I'm glad you and your partner have agreed to share the MR with each other before posting.
Welcome to the crappy TA club!
cheers.gif

No pics of the grounds on your website ?
From the reviews.....makes me want to see pics on the website

Back