We Have a Two Night Minimum on Weekends...But

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trishany

Reaction score
we have people calling from the same county in Ireland as my parents are from who want just ONE night! (we advertise that our B&B has an Irish Flair)
Just to be sure, I very nicely ask them what shops they know in that county, the names of the pubs, the name of the Church, and my uncles (there is 7 of them), the names of the cows and bulls (no, just kidding lol).
BUT, How do you refuse these people?!?! I think it is worth giving up one night to just meet them.
Never knew there were so many Irish people, from the SAME town as my Ma and Pop, in Long Island, who want to stay here.

Hey it is YOUR CHOICE. Do whatever you are comfortable with. But just don't let the other guests get wind of it..or you could be in trouble:-(

Hey it is YOUR CHOICE. Do whatever you are comfortable with. But just don't let the other guests get wind of it..or you could be in trouble:-(.
Catlady -- You are kidding, right?
I thought that was a really nice story for everyone to enjoy.
But instead of complimenting me, you say "don't let the other guests get wind of it"????! Jeeeeeeeeeeeez.
Do you think the other guests KNOW OR CARE how long another guest is staying?.

Hey it is YOUR CHOICE. Do whatever you are comfortable with. But just don't let the other guests get wind of it..or you could be in trouble:-(.
But instead of complimenting me, you say "don't let the other guests get wind of it"????! Jeeeeeeeeeeeez.
if you bend your policy for some guests, and not others, yes - other guests could possibly be unhappy about it if they are aware of it.
nice that they want to stay with you .... are you sure you can't get them to stay a little longer? just a thought.

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!! SOMEBODY NEEDS TO BE CUT OFF! HAPPY HOUR IS OVER FOLKS. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Well it might be a nice story, but if the folks are sitting around the breakfast table and they get to talking and the other guests find out they are only staying one night and it the others had to make say special arrangements to spend 2 nights, they might be a little miffed that they had to stay and pay for 2 nights when someone else only is staying one night.
And YES, other guests will care!!! Because they will think that you thought more about the one night couple. Believe me..you may think that it won't come out..but Murphy's Law says...IT WILL....it may be a slip of the tongue or whatever, and no one may say anything..but it is something that you HAVE TO BE PREPARED FOR.
Yes it is a nice story and it shows us how small this world can be, but I just know..people will be people and THINGS HAPPEN..so just be prepared if you bend the rules for one couple out of 3 or 4 you will have that weekend..that's all.

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!! SOMEBODY NEEDS TO BE CUT OFF! HAPPY HOUR IS OVER FOLKS. Don't forget to tip your waitress..
Awwwww come on Junie B, have a beer, or a wine, or something to calm your nerves.
We're just "tauking here".

Well it might be a nice story, but if the folks are sitting around the breakfast table and they get to talking and the other guests find out they are only staying one night and it the others had to make say special arrangements to spend 2 nights, they might be a little miffed that they had to stay and pay for 2 nights when someone else only is staying one night.
And YES, other guests will care!!! Because they will think that you thought more about the one night couple. Believe me..you may think that it won't come out..but Murphy's Law says...IT WILL....it may be a slip of the tongue or whatever, and no one may say anything..but it is something that you HAVE TO BE PREPARED FOR.
Yes it is a nice story and it shows us how small this world can be, but I just know..people will be people and THINGS HAPPEN..so just be prepared if you bend the rules for one couple out of 3 or 4 you will have that weekend..that's all.
And.......................?

trishany said:
No, they don't care. Unless they HAD to book 2 nights and the lovely couple from Ireland says in front of them, 'Thanks so much for letting us stay just the one night, we know your policy is two nights. We had a grand time and we'll tell ALL of friends how accommodating you are.'
And then all the friends want just one night will call because you're so accommodating.

trishany said:
No, they don't care. Unless they HAD to book 2 nights and the lovely couple from Ireland says in front of them, 'Thanks so much for letting us stay just the one night, we know your policy is two nights. We had a grand time and we'll tell ALL of friends how accommodating you are.'
And then all the friends want just one night will call because you're so accommodating.
And if Murphy is really on the job, the couple also posts a glowing TripAdvisor review about how flexible you were to allow them in for only one night.

trishany said:
Being Irish has it's advantages!!!!!!!

No, you're kidding, right?
You have a required 2 night minimum on the weekends. Your other rooms have all had to cough up the extra bucks, make the extra arrangements, etc. to comply with your requirement. They're sitting around with your one night Irish guests & shooting the breeze, when the Irish folks let it slip that you let your requirement go because you felt a relationship with them because of this Irish connection. At the worst, the other guests are ticked because you had a 2 night policy for them but not the Irish people. At best, your other guests feel like you don't think as much of them because they're not Irish.
But, hey, if you're comfortable with always doing things your way because it's your house and not really a business, do whatever you want.

Back