We have the best guests!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
What a delightful weekend this has been (and will be through Tuesday). We have a cute young married couple (they're babies!) visiting with us before he has to ship off to Iraq next month. This is their first B&B experience and they're having a blast. They've spent most of the day fishing and have had the best time.
We've had two other older couples that have been a delight. The first were disappointed that they had only booked one night because they would have liked to stay longer(we were booked), but have already made plans to return later in the fall. The second weren't here and hour before they decided they liked us so much that they added an extra night to the long weekend. He's a pastor at a small church and they apparently are able to get away only rarely. He looked haggard at arrival, but I'll wager he'll be energized at breakfast.

We have been blessed with a houseful of great guests too! Isn't it wonderful?? One family wanted to return when they come back in October but we're already booked :-(

Good for you both! Nice to have nice people, and have them staying so you know what to expect.
Holiday weekends are never a great crowd for us, not sure why. It's been an odd group, and every morning half of them decide not to eat breakfast. Strange. They are all shipping out today, so we'll see what the next group brings.

I ended up hitting the jackpot. My repeats had to cancel their Sat/Sun and then I got an inn-to-inn for Sunday (w/dinner & packed lunch) and I was getting ready to start the bread for dinner got a phone call for a BOGO Sun/Mon. Usually do not for holidays but said yes as nothing else was going to come this late in the holiday. Very nice people who wanted a pvt bath (other room sharing bath is now closed as they pay pvt rate) and turns out they are in for a fueral that may not happen for another day so might be staying over another night - giving them my funeral rate. The weekend went from a big fat 0 to a rather nice one - and all the people are super nice!

Well, the pastor came to breakfast still looking haggard. I finally figured out that's just the way he looks.
confused_smile.gif
There was dead silence at breakfast this morning. This was either a testament to DW's cooking or the fact these folks are extremely introverted. Several times as I made my rounds to refill coffee cups, I attempted to get a conversation going at the table. Nothing, Nada, Zip!! They did say how much they loved the place and how restful it was.
This is the first time we've encountered B&Bers who DIDN'T talk. Usually it's the other way around.

Well, the pastor came to breakfast still looking haggard. I finally figured out that's just the way he looks.
confused_smile.gif
There was dead silence at breakfast this morning. This was either a testament to DW's cooking or the fact these folks are extremely introverted. Several times as I made my rounds to refill coffee cups, I attempted to get a conversation going at the table. Nothing, Nada, Zip!! They did say how much they loved the place and how restful it was.
This is the first time we've encountered B&Bers who DIDN'T talk. Usually it's the other way around..
Proud Texan said:
There was dead silence at breakfast this morning.
We call that situation "crickets"...as in you can hear the crickets chirping because everyone else is stone silent. We usually try once or twice to get something started conversationally, after that we leave them to their own devices.

confused_smile.gif
This is the first time we've encountered B&Bers who DIDN'T talk. Usually it's the other way around..
Maybe put on some nice cheerful music for them to get them in a better mood and come out with a big fat smile on your face!
teeth_smile.gif

It is almost annoying when guests are tight lipped. Makes me feel unsure of my product.
We have had the most enjoyable and interesting weekend here as well. Everyone that was here had been here several times before, most guests new each other and if they didn't, they made an attempt to get to know each other. It was very enjoyable. So much so that I could leave on Saturday for most of the day, when I returned several cottages were waiting for me with cocktails. A person could get drunk that way, heehee

The younger couple is gone but we still have the non-talkers staying over another couple of nights. They're enjoying themselves, but it's like a mausoleum in the breakfast room this morning. I'm from a family of loud talkers and this is driving me nuts!

The last of our weekend guests left this morning. We had two rooms, one for three nights and one for four nights. That's a dream weekend. Both sets of parents had children that are students at Yale, one undergraduate and one graduate. They chatted at breakfast and the girls each came once for breakfast. And the weather couldn't have been better.

The younger couple is gone but we still have the non-talkers staying over another couple of nights. They're enjoying themselves, but it's like a mausoleum in the breakfast room this morning. I'm from a family of loud talkers and this is driving me nuts!.
The pastor has to talk to members of his congregation all the time. He carries a lot on his shoulders probably too.

The last of our weekend guests left this morning. We had two rooms, one for three nights and one for four nights. That's a dream weekend. Both sets of parents had children that are students at Yale, one undergraduate and one graduate. They chatted at breakfast and the girls each came once for breakfast. And the weather couldn't have been better..
Our weekend guests all left on Labor Day. One room left a $50 tip!!! Another room left a $10 tip. Another room was crying when they said good-bye because they loved it here = priceless. :)

The younger couple is gone but we still have the non-talkers staying over another couple of nights. They're enjoying themselves, but it's like a mausoleum in the breakfast room this morning. I'm from a family of loud talkers and this is driving me nuts!.
For a pastor, SILENCE is golden!
I have a friend who is a pastor. When she needs - and I mean NEEDS - an R & R she comes here (on the house) because she can just BE when she is here. she does not have to watch what she says or how she says it because she is a pastor. With me she is a PERSON.

Well, the pastor and his wife left this morning. At breakfast, the were much more talkative and I think rested after three days. He spent most of his time fishing and she reading. I think it was good for them. They said they definitely wanted to return.

Well, the pastor and his wife left this morning. At breakfast, the were much more talkative and I think rested after three days. He spent most of his time fishing and she reading. I think it was good for them. They said they definitely wanted to return..
That's why a lot of priests and pastors play golf. It's a quiet game usually :) Glad they enjoyed their stay with y'all.

I feel for the pastor...probably gets as tired of small talk as innkeepers do!

Back