We may be only staying tonight

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
As I was showing my 2-rooms for 2-nights guests to their rooms, the 93 year old Dad informs me they may not be staying tomorrow night after all. "I hope that will not inconvenience you." I replied, "only my wallet." These are people who are part of a family in this town who are well-thought of - almost reveered. His brother WAS reveered. Sigh. No, I will not charge for the second night, it is not as if they were strangers to the town. The Dad grew up here. I guess the unexpected reservation last Saturday was the replacement for this revenue.
The upside is now I will not have to be concerned about juggling their breakfast with the Committee Meeting with the UK Thursday morning. Has anyone looked at the latest issue of BedPostings?

Sometimes we have to roll with the punches, I guess folks plans change, over the years I've gotten used to that fact and usually shrug it off and don't let it bother me, the exception perhaps are certain peak weekend times where we've turned others away for weeks, then we have to smile and give them the bad news that they are obligated and we will try to rent the room for them.

I hate when they do that. I added a note on my terms and my confirmations. Who knows, you may have been able to sell those rooms. Roll with the punches this time, but I would ask him in the future to book only what he will use, because you have bills to pay and someone else may need the room.

Update: They thought it possible they would be leaving early because family in the area was going to have a PRE- Family reunion for them. When they returned last night - in time for the Lord's Pantry Volunteer Dinner (they were invited) it was still up in the air. Discussion with the family last night resulted in the pre becoming lunch tomorrow so they are staying another night after all I was told this morning. Whoopee! Hope of refill of any rooms here during the week especially is a never gonna happen - even if they had cancelled that room 2 weeks ago.
We sat with my hairdresser & her husband last night. When the door prizes were givn, one of my guests won a $50 gift card to Ace Hardware - he gave it to my hairdresser's husband. They are hanging around this morning rather than taking off to site-see because the Lord's Pantry has a truck to unload this morning and they are going to help unload it.

Update: They thought it possible they would be leaving early because family in the area was going to have a PRE- Family reunion for them. When they returned last night - in time for the Lord's Pantry Volunteer Dinner (they were invited) it was still up in the air. Discussion with the family last night resulted in the pre becoming lunch tomorrow so they are staying another night after all I was told this morning. Whoopee! Hope of refill of any rooms here during the week especially is a never gonna happen - even if they had cancelled that room 2 weeks ago.
We sat with my hairdresser & her husband last night. When the door prizes were givn, one of my guests won a $50 gift card to Ace Hardware - he gave it to my hairdresser's husband. They are hanging around this morning rather than taking off to site-see because the Lord's Pantry has a truck to unload this morning and they are going to help unload it..
gillumhouse said:
...so they are staying another night after all I was told this morning. Whoopee!
regular_smile.gif
thumbs_up.gif
GREAT! I'll bet they are already anticipating the next breakfast!

We sat with my hairdresser & her husband last night. When the door prizes were givn, one of my guests won a $50 gift card to Ace Hardware - he gave it to my hairdresser's husband. They are hanging around this morning rather than taking off to site-see because the Lord's Pantry has a truck to unload this morning and they are going to help unload it..
gillumhouse said:
...so they are staying another night after all I was told this morning. Whoopee!
regular_smile.gif
thumbs_up.gif
They chose pork sausage this morning and I already had some bacon thawed - so served both. they have chosen pork chops for tomorrow. I have them thawing now. Will do them in thecrock pot overnight with maple syrup and apples.

gillumhouse said:
regular_smile.gif
thumbs_up.gif
They chose pork sausage this morning and I already had some bacon thawed - so served both. they have chosen pork chops for tomorrow. I have them thawing now. Will do them in thecrock pot overnight with maple syrup and apples.
Pork chops for breakfast? Is that a WV thing?

gillumhouse said:
regular_smile.gif
thumbs_up.gif
Generic said:
A southern thing, I guess. Pork and breakfast, they go together like a horse and...
I grew up with pork chops for breakfast on special occasions. Steak and eggs are not common here, unfortunately, but pork chops with eggs, biscuits or toast, milk gravy, and hash browned potatoes are...are...cannot write more...must head to kitchen immediately...

gillumhouse said:
regular_smile.gif
thumbs_up.gif
Sometimes. I have them, I put them on the list, and they picked it. Actually easier than a lot of things I could do since it is in the slow cooker all night. I was going to make the baked oqtmeal until they chose chops. I am trying something ne - I just thought it up.
I have 3 small bell peppers (they said no allergies) and I am cooking up chopped Vadalia onion, baby carrots sliced thin, and celery to "soft". I dug up some small white and purple potatoes. I will make a "bed" of the sliced potatoes in an oven-proof casserole dish (think those white dishes with a handle often used as soup bowls). Then I am going to mix the softened veggies with eggs and fill the peppers a la stuffed pappers and bake them covered with foil. It will either work of be a disaster (they are low carb so bread is not necessary) but it is worth a shot. I have tons of oregano - I might mince some fresh oregano into the veggies. This is going to be interesting.
Update: I did mince oregano and add it. One pepper had a hole in it so could not do the pour eggs in, so I "soft" cooked them and put into the peppers I had partially baked with the sliced potatoes. Then I divided the potatoes into the dishes and added the peppers. I put the 3 dishes on a cookie sheet and covered with foil. Bake into the oven @ 350 for about 20 min. Coffee this morning was Panama. Juices were OJ and blueberry pomegranate. Fruit was watermelon hunks, mango, kiwi, and a few blackberries from my berry bush (walkers snagged most of them) and muffins were peanut butter banana choc chip. And I did not get a photo of the pork chops and apples. Guests said everything was excellent.
Pepperegg-gillumhouse.JPG

gillumhouse said:
regular_smile.gif
thumbs_up.gif
Generic said:
A southern thing, I guess. Pork and breakfast, they go together like a horse and...
I grew up with pork chops for breakfast on special occasions. Steak and eggs are not common here, unfortunately, but pork chops with eggs, biscuits or toast, milk gravy, and hash browned potatoes are...are...cannot write more...must head to kitchen immediately...
We did a week long stay in SC. By day 4 i was asking what was for breakfast. I remember being told 'bacon' so I was happy. (In hog heaven?) Sat down for breakfast and there was a pork chop on my plate. I gave up.

Sometimes we have to roll with the punches, I guess folks plans change, over the years I've gotten used to that fact and usually shrug it off and don't let it bother me, the exception perhaps are certain peak weekend times where we've turned others away for weeks, then we have to smile and give them the bad news that they are obligated and we will try to rent the room for them..
That's about right ... it depends. If they deprived another person of a reservation, they'll more likely be charged.

There is only one sign in my B & B, on the mantle next to the bublegum machine bank. This sign says - all money in this bank goes to the Lord's Pantry Food Bank.
These guests arrived the night of the Volunteers Dinner and when I sent my regrets RSVP, the Director told me to bring the guests too, so I did. She announced a food truck was coming in at about 11:30 AM the next day and helpers were needed to unload it. Dad stayed at the B & B (he is 93) but the son & wife delayed their plans for the day to go help unload (the truck was late so I told them to go or they would not get to do anything). Today I found a twenty under the bubblegum machine. It is now clipped to a 3x5 card with their address so the Director can send them a thank you for their deductible contribution. Class people.

Back