We need a new category of forum posts simply called...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, then I'd have to remove the word "vent" from this category LOL
Besides, I don't want anyone accusing us of only focusing on the negative here ;)

Darn it!.
Actually in looking at the topics, I do think there is something missing .... a topic that deals with "Guest Relations" of which PITA's would certainly be a popular topic. Hmmmm ;)

Okay, help me out here! I am new to this stuff, my husband and I are seriously thinking of changing careers and buying an inn or should I say B&B or B&B inn...it seems as though it is different depending on where you are in the country! (I found out that some innkeepers are very sensitive about this while many of us are clueless!)
Anyway, that is off the subject. I hesitate to ask, but hopefully it is safe. What is PITA?
I was told about this site and somehow managed to read a majority of topics that were very compelling to keep following but I ended up so stressed by the tension! I am relieved to read some lighter, but informative ones.
OH! Never mind! I understand now! It just came to me! How silly of me!
Oh well, rather than delete this I will just let it serve as a safe introduction. I need to remain anonymous for the sake of our current jobs; different lines of work, but I am amazed at how things get around!
Thanks!

Okay, help me out here! I am new to this stuff, my husband and I are seriously thinking of changing careers and buying an inn or should I say B&B or B&B inn...it seems as though it is different depending on where you are in the country! (I found out that some innkeepers are very sensitive about this while many of us are clueless!)
Anyway, that is off the subject. I hesitate to ask, but hopefully it is safe. What is PITA?
I was told about this site and somehow managed to read a majority of topics that were very compelling to keep following but I ended up so stressed by the tension! I am relieved to read some lighter, but informative ones.
Oh well, rather than delete this I will just let it serve as a safe introduction. I need to remain anonymous for the sake of our current jobs; different lines of work, but I am amazed at how things get around!
Thanks!.
innlover said:
Glad you figured it out, but just in case you run into other terms that are new to you, we have an ever expanding Innspiring Glossary.
innlover said:
This sounded like help was being asked for but I'm not sure I see the question in it. There is an interesting set of interviews of new innkeepers that was recently in the news that you may find interesting. I'm not sure what the author's experience is, but the young innkeepers had interesting things to say.

Thanks!.
Innlover said:
Thanks!
welcome. you have to know that this is a safe place, sometimes the only place, for innkeepers to vent. you certainly can't blow off steam around, in earshot of, or to guests ... so this is where many of us come to do just that. to commiserate and be told 'i understand'.

Thanks!.
Innlover said:
thinking of changing careers and buying an inn or should I say B&B or B&B inn...it seems as though it is different depending on where you are in the country! (I found out that some innkeepers are very sensitive about this while many of us are clueless!)
I use the terms interchangeably while posting, but mostly because "inn" is a lot easier to type then "B&B" and because when speaking generally about innkeeping the terms are interchangeable. (I'm an innkeeper, not a B&Bkeeper.)
Loosely though, I tend to think of an inn as a larger property (6 rooms or more), particularly the really large ones with staff and a restaurant on the premises.
There is an "inn" south of me... it's a restaurant and their sign prominently states "no overnight accommodations." Clearly the fact that their name includes the word "inn" (as well as the location, size, history, and style of their building) makes people think they're a B&B inn, even though it's clearly a restaurant.
=)
Kk.

Thanks!.
innlover said:
Glad you figured it out, but just in case you run into other terms that are new to you, we have an ever expanding Innspiring Glossary.
innlover said:
This sounded like help was being asked for but I'm not sure I see the question in it. There is an interesting set of interviews of new innkeepers that was recently in the news that you may find interesting. I'm not sure what the author's experience is, but the young innkeepers had interesting things to say.
Hi Swirt,
Sorry for the confusion, I have been staying up way too late and getting up way too early and was beyond tired when I wrote that. I also think (understandably) you have me mixed up with someone else. To avoid confusion, I have corrected that.
By the way, thanks for the link, and you flatter me, because I don't fall in the young innkeeper category. Oh, wish that it were so! A new innkeeper someday, hopefully.

Thanks!.
innlover said:
innlover said:
Hi Swirt,
Sorry for the confusion, I have been staying up way too late and getting up way too early and was beyond tired when I wrote that. I also think (understandably) you have me mixed up with someone else. To avoid confusion, I have corrected that.
By the way, thanks for the link, and you flatter me, because I don't fall in the young innkeeper category. Oh, wish that it were so! A new innkeeper someday, hopefully.
To avoid confusion, I have corrected that.
I'm not sure what you did to correct it, you may have to email me off forum to explain.

Thanks!.
Innlover said:
thinking of changing careers and buying an inn or should I say B&B or B&B inn...it seems as though it is different depending on where you are in the country! (I found out that some innkeepers are very sensitive about this while many of us are clueless!)
I use the terms interchangeably while posting, but mostly because "inn" is a lot easier to type then "B&B" and because when speaking generally about innkeeping the terms are interchangeable. (I'm an innkeeper, not a B&Bkeeper.)
Loosely though, I tend to think of an inn as a larger property (6 rooms or more), particularly the really large ones with staff and a restaurant on the premises.
There is an "inn" south of me... it's a restaurant and their sign prominently states "no overnight accommodations." Clearly the fact that their name includes the word "inn" (as well as the location, size, history, and style of their building) makes people think they're a B&B inn, even though it's clearly a restaurant.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
I hope I did this right...trying to respond to yellow socks. You made me laugh so hard about being an innkeeper not a B&Bkeeper! Funny how some things sound (i kept picturing a beekeeper with veiled hat).
And I am amazed about the restaurant. That is as curious as why a B&B that does not serve any kind of breakfast at all would have Bed and Breafkast in its name. I hope that doesn't offend anyone here, I just don't understand it. Maybe the answer is in another forum, I have so many yet to read!!
Oh, by the way, I considered changing my username, because i do not want to be confused with anyone else and I was clueless that that was happening, but hopefully it will straighten itself out as we all become better acquainted.

Welcome Innlover.
Confusion aside, we're glad you're here. You arrived during a fall out here on the forum. Typically we are all a very cordial bunch.
welcome.gif

Inn is an extension of Bed and Breakfast. Country Inn, larger B&B's can be inns, and you can simply call yourself an INN if you are a B&B. Plenty have "James White Bed and Breakfast Inn" I think it is just a new twist. I would not call someone doing more of a "homestay" an Inn, that is maybe the difference right there. Inn being a bit more upscale to a one, two or three room B&B?

Welcome Innlover.
Confusion aside, we're glad you're here. You arrived during a fall out here on the forum. Typically we are all a very cordial bunch.
welcome.gif

Inn is an extension of Bed and Breakfast. Country Inn, larger B&B's can be inns, and you can simply call yourself an INN if you are a B&B. Plenty have "James White Bed and Breakfast Inn" I think it is just a new twist. I would not call someone doing more of a "homestay" an Inn, that is maybe the difference right there. Inn being a bit more upscale to a one, two or three room B&B?.
Thanks so much, your welcome guy is so cute! I am not very computer savvy (love/hate relationship) so I am not sure what the difference is to reply or just write in the coment box...oh well, trial by error.
So you welcomed fall with a fallout! (Sorry, corny, but I couldn't resist.) And I stepped unknowingly right in the middle of it I guess.
Whew, there sure is a lot to the name and to innkeeping, of course. I read a forum somewhere on here from an aspiring innkeeper and it had good info from you expert innkeepers to wannabes like me, but now I can't find it. She was introducing herself and her username was close to amkat (in case that rings a bell).
Oh well, I will keep reading and learning. (It is my husband I need to convince, he says he does not want to be a plumber at 3 in the morning.) Hmmm.

Welcome Innlover.
welcome.gif

Inn is an extension of Bed and Breakfast. Country Inn, larger B&B's can be inns, and you can simply call yourself an INN if you are a B&B. Plenty have "James White Bed and Breakfast Inn" I think it is just a new twist. I would not call someone doing more of a "homestay" an Inn, that is maybe the difference right there. Inn being a bit more upscale to a one, two or three room B&B?.
Thanks so much, your welcome guy is so cute! I am not very computer savvy (love/hate relationship) so I am not sure what the difference is to reply or just write in the coment box...oh well, trial by error.
So you welcomed fall with a fallout! (Sorry, corny, but I couldn't resist.) And I stepped unknowingly right in the middle of it I guess.
Whew, there sure is a lot to the name and to innkeeping, of course. I read a forum somewhere on here from an aspiring innkeeper and it had good info from you expert innkeepers to wannabes like me, but now I can't find it. She was introducing herself and her username was close to amkat (in case that rings a bell).
Oh well, I will keep reading and learning. (It is my husband I need to convince, he says he does not want to be a plumber at 3 in the morning.) Hmmm.
Innlover said:
You can learn plumbing, it's not that hard. I do all of the emergency stuff here... if it involves soldering it can wait until the morning and my contractor can do it. Having a plunger in each room keeps the 3 a.m. wake ups to a minimum.
There's a search feature... at the top left, just under the picture of the featured inn.
=)
Kk.

Welcome Innlover.
welcome.gif

(It is my husband I need to convince,
If you need to convince him I have 3 words for you regarding opening a B & B: DON'T DO IT!!
Unless everyone in the household is TOTALLY on board, it will fail. Period!

Welcome Innlover.
welcome.gif

(It is my husband I need to convince,
If you need to convince him I have 3 words for you regarding opening a B & B: DON'T DO IT!!
Unless everyone in the household is TOTALLY on board, it will fail. Period!
The B&B may or may not fail. The marriage surely will fail.
confused_smile.gif

Happened here once with a PO - married when she got here, divorced within a few years.

Sorry Gillumhouse, convince was a poor choice of words.
My husband and I have been together 20 years and i quickly I learned that we both have our own minds. Since that really is his only issue with it, I am trying to research whether it is feasible or not. Is it possible to have just the right size inn to make a profit, but not have him (or me!) be the sole source of middle of the night issues like plumbing?
I certainly don't want the B&B to fail, and the marriage failing is not an option either!
And once again I am showing my ignorance, but Muirford, what is a PO? You guys have a lingo all your own, or I have to get out more!

My husband and I have been together 20 years and i quickly I learned that we both have our own minds. Since that really is his only issue with it, I am trying to research whether it is feasible or not. Is it possible to have just the right size inn to make a profit, but not have him (or me!) be the sole source of middle of the night issues like plumbing?
I certainly don't want the B&B to fail, and the marriage failing is not an option either!
And once again I am showing my ignorance, but Muirford, what is a PO? You guys have a lingo all your own, or I have to get out more!.
Innlover said:
And once again I am showing my ignorance, but Muirford, what is a PO? You guys have a lingo all your own, or I have to get out more!
I think Swirt posted the link to the glossary page for you. Search for 'glossary' and you should find the link to the list of all the shortcuts we use. PO is Previous Owner.
Unless you have a plumber on speed-dial or a resident innsitter all the time, you're it at 3AM and 11AM and 9PM and any other time a guest-
  1. locks himself out of his room because he's had a few,
  2. knocks the handle to the shower off and breaks it,
  3. knocks the A/C unit out the window because he thought it was OK to open the window with the A/C unit in it,
  4. can't find the inn from 50 miles away, 20 miles away, 10 miles away, 5 miles away, 2 blocks away, in the driveway and can't find the door to get in,
  5. trips the breaker and shuts off all the power to their room and falls down the stairs trying to find you,
  6. has a sick child and doesn't want a basketfull of vomit in their room all night,
  7. is there with a spouse who is at work all day and they are bored sitting around all alone and want you to go to lunch with them,
  8. you get the picture.

And once again I am showing my ignorance, but Muirford, what is a PO? You guys have a lingo all your own, or I have to get out more!.
The only other option is to have guests like the 2 guys who were here one night (did not know each other - just guests in 2 of my rooms) who when the sink was not draining and the plunger did not budge it, ended up having me get the tools (it was obvious DH could not do anything with his messed up hand (or it was right after his aneurysm and he was not functioning too well)) and the 2 of them took the plumbing apart, tried a snake to no avail, and ended up using an air thingamajig I had bought as a what the hell whim from the lets get rid of table - to blow whatever was the obstruction out of the way, get the drain draining again, and put it all back together. And they paid full rate in the morning!
Othe than that, as Bree said - you is it at whatever time of day or night. She missed the brat who somehow flips the button on the deadbolt so even a key will not open it so you have to crawl out the bathroom window and crawl in the bedroom window and unlock the door as you use every ounce of energy in your body to not haul off and give the squalling kid something to squall about! Or the calls at 2am asking to be put through to Frank's room - #1 there is no one in house #2 there is no switchboard and no phones in the guestrooms.
If he has to be convinced, fergitaboudit....

OH! Thank you! I will check out the glossary page. (Now I really feel dumb.) I have been trying to find my way around, but there is so much!
I had no idea what a family-like community this would be. Such camaraderie is rare in my experience in the work world, but what you do is so personal and it must be nice to have the support from others who are in it and share the same struggles.
I know there is good and bad in every line of work, but I am amazed at all the stuff to know to be a success at innkeeping. I can't imagine going into this without first knowing all the inside info you guys share here. Thanks. I have been properly pre-initiated into the realities...and maybe an inn with a resident innkeeper is what I should be considering. Like I said, still so much to learn.

Back