We need a new category of forum posts simply called...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Gillumhouse, convince was a poor choice of words.
My husband and I have been together 20 years and i quickly I learned that we both have our own minds. Since that really is his only issue with it, I am trying to research whether it is feasible or not. Is it possible to have just the right size inn to make a profit, but not have him (or me!) be the sole source of middle of the night issues like plumbing?
I certainly don't want the B&B to fail, and the marriage failing is not an option either!
And once again I am showing my ignorance, but Muirford, what is a PO? You guys have a lingo all your own, or I have to get out more!.
The only other option is to have guests like the 2 guys who were here one night (did not know each other - just guests in 2 of my rooms) who when the sink was not draining and the plunger did not budge it, ended up having me get the tools (it was obvious DH could not do anything with his messed up hand (or it was right after his aneurysm and he was not functioning too well)) and the 2 of them took the plumbing apart, tried a snake to no avail, and ended up using an air thingamajig I had bought as a what the hell whim from the lets get rid of table - to blow whatever was the obstruction out of the way, get the drain draining again, and put it all back together. And they paid full rate in the morning!
Othe than that, as Bree said - you is it at whatever time of day or night. She missed the brat who somehow flips the button on the deadbolt so even a key will not open it so you have to crawl out the bathroom window and crawl in the bedroom window and unlock the door as you use every ounce of energy in your body to not haul off and give the squalling kid something to squall about! Or the calls at 2am asking to be put through to Frank's room - #1 there is no one in house #2 there is no switchboard and no phones in the guestrooms.
If he has to be convinced, fergitaboudit....
gillumhouse said:
The only other option is to have guests like the 2 guys who were here one night (did not know each other - just guests in 2 of my rooms) who when the sink was not draining and the plunger did not budge it, ended up having me get the tools (it was obvious DH could not do anything with his messed up hand (or it was right after his aneurysm and he was not functioning too well)) and the 2 of them took the plumbing apart, tried a snake to no avail, and ended up using an air thingamajig I had bought as a what the hell whim from the lets get rid of table - to blow whatever was the obstruction out of the way, get the drain draining again, and put it all back together. And they paid full rate in the morning!
Othe than that, as Bree said - you is it at whatever time of day or night. She missed the brat who somehow flips the button on the deadbolt so even a key will not open it so you have to crawl out the bathroom window and crawl in the bedroom window and unlock the door as you use every ounce of energy in your body to not haul off and give the squalling kid something to squall about! Or the calls at 2am asking to be put through to Frank's room - #1 there is no one in house #2 there is no switchboard and no phones in the guestrooms.
If he has to be convinced, fergitaboudit....
I think I heard this story before. I had guests lock themselves out of their room one day and somehow they got the door knob all jammed up. I called DH at work to find out where out tiny flat head screwdriver is, I have seen him use this before to unjam and not destroy a door. He has no clue. I finally find one and race up. I give it a quick attempt then say "Here you wanna have a go?" to the man. He is bumbling around like he had never used a screwdriver! I finally say, "Wait! I think I can do it now!" and take it back before he destroys the place. Work at it til I get it to click.
NOT ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL.
I am not a helpless female, but in some instances they want to be "the big man" and solve the problem, so here have at it. Nawwww not this dude. Pansy. Oops, did I just type that? Anonymity at its best right here.
omg_smile.gif

My husband and I have been together 20 years and i quickly I learned that we both have our own minds. Since that really is his only issue with it, I am trying to research whether it is feasible or not. Is it possible to have just the right size inn to make a profit, but not have him (or me!) be the sole source of middle of the night issues like plumbing?
I certainly don't want the B&B to fail, and the marriage failing is not an option either!
And once again I am showing my ignorance, but Muirford, what is a PO? You guys have a lingo all your own, or I have to get out more!.
Innlover said:
And once again I am showing my ignorance, but Muirford, what is a PO? You guys have a lingo all your own, or I have to get out more!
I think Swirt posted the link to the glossary page for you. Search for 'glossary' and you should find the link to the list of all the shortcuts we use. PO is Previous Owner.
Unless you have a plumber on speed-dial or a resident innsitter all the time, you're it at 3AM and 11AM and 9PM and any other time a guest-
  1. locks himself out of his room because he's had a few,
  2. knocks the handle to the shower off and breaks it,
  3. knocks the A/C unit out the window because he thought it was OK to open the window with the A/C unit in it,
  4. can't find the inn from 50 miles away, 20 miles away, 10 miles away, 5 miles away, 2 blocks away, in the driveway and can't find the door to get in,
  5. trips the breaker and shuts off all the power to their room and falls down the stairs trying to find you,
  6. has a sick child and doesn't want a basketfull of vomit in their room all night,
  7. is there with a spouse who is at work all day and they are bored sitting around all alone and want you to go to lunch with them,
  8. you get the picture.
I guess my question from that list is: Why don't your window sashes have those locks on them that keep someone from moving the window up & down? Or at the very least, a nail on either side that would prevent the window from being raised or lowered??

Hey, I just realized something that you all have probably known for ages. While i was replying earlier to Bree, Gillumhouse was also replying. So I did not even see her reply til now, (which was confusing from where I thought it left off). That happened on another forum the other day and it was very wierd. Now I get what happened.
Ya know, I am really a very intelligent person, but I just have no experience on forums, never done a blog, nothing. This is my first real attempt and i guess I am very computer illiterate. My dh (see, I checked out the glossary!) and I looked at laptops today, boy was that a sitcom in the making. Anyway, thanks for putting up with my newbie-ness.
Oh, and one last thing. Gillumhouse, I am now sufficiently scared off...the honeymoon is over, so to speak. I see that you must REALLY have a love for innkeeping to do it 24/7. At this point, I honestly don't know if we are cut out for it or not. Time will tell, and we always take a long time to make decisions, no matter how small. It drives us both crazy too!

Innlover said:
And once again I am showing my ignorance, but Muirford, what is a PO? You guys have a lingo all your own, or I have to get out more!
I think Swirt posted the link to the glossary page for you. Search for 'glossary' and you should find the link to the list of all the shortcuts we use. PO is Previous Owner.
Unless you have a plumber on speed-dial or a resident innsitter all the time, you're it at 3AM and 11AM and 9PM and any other time a guest-
  1. locks himself out of his room because he's had a few,
  2. knocks the handle to the shower off and breaks it,
  3. knocks the A/C unit out the window because he thought it was OK to open the window with the A/C unit in it,
  4. can't find the inn from 50 miles away, 20 miles away, 10 miles away, 5 miles away, 2 blocks away, in the driveway and can't find the door to get in,
  5. trips the breaker and shuts off all the power to their room and falls down the stairs trying to find you,
  6. has a sick child and doesn't want a basketfull of vomit in their room all night,
  7. is there with a spouse who is at work all day and they are bored sitting around all alone and want you to go to lunch with them,
  8. you get the picture.
I guess my question from that list is: Why don't your window sashes have those locks on them that keep someone from moving the window up & down? Or at the very least, a nail on either side that would prevent the window from being raised or lowered??
That was the same thing I asked the person who told ME that story! What the heck? Tie that sucker down, for Pete's sake! (All of our in-window units are screwed into the window so you can't, without breaking the window in the process, open the window.)

Back