We paid for it, use it

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
That must be the mentality that allows guests to peg the thermostat at 90, turn on every light, don't turn off the tap in the sink and then leave. Just saw a light on under the door so I opened the door and was nearly knocked over with the heat. They've been gone for close to 3 hours. What a waste.

Oh My ! We share the same people. They left with the A/C on and turned up the thermostate in the other room to 20c. left ever light on and the door to the outside not closed grrrrr. I was spitting mad.
Glad they left.

I guess this goes back to my Oh its hot, oh it's cold comment. As we all know, every well, within one marriage one of us can be cold and one of us can be hot. Is there a perfect temp for everyone? NOPE.

I guess this goes back to my Oh its hot, oh it's cold comment. As we all know, every well, within one marriage one of us can be cold and one of us can be hot. Is there a perfect temp for everyone? NOPE..
Joey Bloggs said:
I guess this goes back to my Oh its hot, oh it's cold comment. As we all know, every well, within one marriage one of us can be cold and one of us can be hot. Is there a perfect temp for everyone? NOPE.
I'm happy they closed the window first! Still, 85 is excessive for young 'uns. Not sure how they will fare at the next place on their stop as I happen to know they don't have heat, they shut down after this weekend.

I guess this goes back to my Oh its hot, oh it's cold comment. As we all know, every well, within one marriage one of us can be cold and one of us can be hot. Is there a perfect temp for everyone? NOPE..
Joey Bloggs said:
I'm happy they closed the window first! Still, 85 is excessive for young 'uns. Not sure how they will fare at the next place on their stop as I happen to know they don't have heat, they shut down after this weekend.
OMG: These people are staying here tonight. Earlier we heard a terrible crash from their room, so when they went out to dinner we went up to check the room for breakages. The window is open, both radiators are on full and the lights are on.
Looks like they knocked the shower-gel dispenser off the wall so no harm done there.

Joey Bloggs said:
OMG: These people are staying here tonight. Earlier we heard a terrible crash from their room, so when they went out to dinner we went up to check the room for breakages. The window is open, both radiators are on full and the lights are on.
Looks like they knocked the shower-gel dispenser off the wall so no harm done there.
Sounds like yours found the shower gel. Mine came and asked for 'little bottles of shampoo, the maid forgot them.' No idea what she thought the dispenser labeled 'SHAMPOO' contained.

Every once in a while I think it would be great to install the European key system. You have to insert your key into the system for the electricity/heat to turn on. Only when you are in your room will it work, because you leave with your key :)

people like that remind me of the kids when they were teens-always leaving lights on and messing with the thermostat and it left me grrr mad too, guests that do this are just plain incosiderate, they probably do this at the hotels...

Every once in a while I think it would be great to install the European key system. You have to insert your key into the system for the electricity/heat to turn on. Only when you are in your room will it work, because you leave with your key :).
I really liked that system last time we traveled.

Every once in a while I think it would be great to install the European key system. You have to insert your key into the system for the electricity/heat to turn on. Only when you are in your room will it work, because you leave with your key :).
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Every once in a while I think it would be great to install the European key system.
Yes, we discussed that system here last year. Everyone pretty much agreed it ain't gonna happen here any time soon. Change is just too hard, especially when it's a change toward a more restrictive system.
I've never seen that system in an "upscale" accommodation in Europe, but when I was in a 5-star hotel in China they had it there. The front desk got LOTS of calls from Americans saying their lights wouldn't come on.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Every once in a while I think it would be great to install the European key system.
Yes, we discussed that system here last year. Everyone pretty much agreed it ain't gonna happen here any time soon. Change is just too hard, especially when it's a change toward a more restrictive system.
I've never seen that system in an "upscale" accommodation in Europe, but when I was in a 5-star hotel in China they had it there. The front desk got LOTS of calls from Americans saying their lights wouldn't come on.
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
It's here. Americans are using it. Ayres Suites has the system installed in their properties. It's amazing how quickly Americans will adapt when that's all there is. It took us all of 2 seconds to find the slot to put the keycard into. The front desk was very clear about how it worked and why they are doing things this way. They also had the lights in the hallways on motion sensors.
If there is an issue with guests not understanding how to use something, that is completely the management's problem. If 'LOTS' of Americans called to find out how to turn on the lights, then it wasn't explained properly. Even if they had to use pictograms to explain it to non-Chinese speakers, that's the way to go.
If I can explain 'heat system operation' to someone who has never needed heat inside in their lives, keycards to operate the lights can be explained with little diagrams.
So if you planned to use this in your renovation work, go for it. It's the way of the future. Why install back-level equipment when you're doing it all from scratch anyway?

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
It's here. Americans are using it. Ayres Suites has the system installed in their properties. It's amazing how quickly Americans will adapt when that's all there is. It took us all of 2 seconds to find the slot to put the keycard into. The front desk was very clear about how it worked and why they are doing things this way. They also had the lights in the hallways on motion sensors.
If there is an issue with guests not understanding how to use something, that is completely the management's problem. If 'LOTS' of Americans called to find out how to turn on the lights, then it wasn't explained properly. Even if they had to use pictograms to explain it to non-Chinese speakers, that's the way to go.
If I can explain 'heat system operation' to someone who has never needed heat inside in their lives, keycards to operate the lights can be explained with little diagrams.
So if you planned to use this in your renovation work, go for it. It's the way of the future. Why install back-level equipment when you're doing it all from scratch anyway?
Madeleine said:
I'm all for it, but as I mentioned, in Europe I've only seen them in budget accommodations that are trying to cut all the corners they can. Not sure it would feel right in a place I'm paying over $100/night for. Maybe, but I'm just not sure.
Another difference between here and Europe is that in Europe it's commonly required that you leave your room key at the front desk when you're away from the hotel, so they KNOW the keycard is not still in your room's power slot. In America, where we carry our room keys out of the hotel, I'm picturing people figuring out how to take their key but leave the card in the power slot.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
I'm all for it, but as I mentioned, in Europe I've only seen them in budget accommodations that are trying to cut all the corners they can. Not sure it would feel right in a place I'm paying over $100/night for. Maybe, but I'm just not sure.
Another difference between here and Europe is that in Europe it's commonly required that you leave your room key at the front desk when you're away from the hotel, so they KNOW the keycard is not still in your room's power slot. In America, where we carry our room keys out of the hotel, I'm picturing people figuring out how to take their key but leave the card in the power slot.
Surely the other flaw is that if there's two of you in the room the hotel usually gives you two keycards, so it's easy to take one with you and leave the other in the slot.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Idiots are everywhere. Give the guests a compelling reason to go along with you, and the option to not go along with you (give them 2 cards so they can leave one in the slot to run everything all day long while they're gone) and the majority will go along. It's new! It's high tech! It's the way of the future! And the dreaded words- it's green!
Plus, you can have non-carded outlets to run things like the fridge and a power strip for charging crap.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
We were in the "new section" of the lodge at a resort in WV last year for a Conference in August (think HOT) and we discovered the A/C did NOT work if the door to the courtyard was open (DH was trying to paint and had the door open a crack for quick reentry with the impending rain). It may not be the key in slot, but it is the if outside coming in the HVAC is not on.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
I'm telling you... around here... $100 a night accomodations are BUDGET accomodations.
But besides that, more and more people understand the economics of it and they understand the environmentalism of it. That's not to say that the heat is turned off, it just goes back to default settings. But it means that the lights in the rooms, the AC, etc turn off and stop wasting electricity.
It's funny how smart people can't seem to figure out an air conditioner, though. You set it to a comfortable room temperature and they set it to the lowest temperature, thinking that it will work faster. It works less efficiently and breaks down!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
I'm telling you... around here... $100 a night accomodations are BUDGET accomodations.
But besides that, more and more people understand the economics of it and they understand the environmentalism of it. That's not to say that the heat is turned off, it just goes back to default settings. But it means that the lights in the rooms, the AC, etc turn off and stop wasting electricity.
It's funny how smart people can't seem to figure out an air conditioner, though. You set it to a comfortable room temperature and they set it to the lowest temperature, thinking that it will work faster. It works less efficiently and breaks down!
Eric Arthur Blair said:
...smart people can't seem to figure out an air conditioner...they set it to the lowest temperature, thinking that it will work faster.
Amen to that! I run in to that all the time and I just want to bang my head against a wall.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
We were in the "new section" of the lodge at a resort in WV last year for a Conference in August (think HOT) and we discovered the A/C did NOT work if the door to the courtyard was open (DH was trying to paint and had the door open a crack for quick reentry with the impending rain). It may not be the key in slot, but it is the if outside coming in the HVAC is not on.
gillumhouse said:
...we discovered the A/C did NOT work if the door to the courtyard was open...
Yes, I've seen that before too. It's easy to accomplish with a burglar alarm-type magnetic sensor or door switch that cuts power to the appliance when the door opens and the contact is broken.
Of course, I'm sure some will never make the connection and call for help with their faulty A/C.

Speaking of odd ones. I have to slip this in here...I had a gal a month ago who ate like a fly. You know, picture flies as they eat, both hands rapidly up to their mouths, we all saw those reel to reels for science in elementary school.
Now I have a lady who eats like a badger. She takes a bite, mouth wide open and smack smack smack. I nearly stumbled as I heard this sound and turned to see what it was.
whattha.gif
There is another couple, very sweet genteel lovely on their 50th anniversary, you know the type, southern little lady, button earrings, pink lipstick carefully applied and blotted, all things etiquette enhance her, stylish. I can only imagine what she is thinking. They are on the main course now, the poor things.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
How about blinds? They are set to the proper angle so that a simple flip of the wrist will close them completely for the evening. Everyday they are turned in the opposite direction, which leaves them open all night long. It seems no one understands that if they can see out, anyone in the street can see in.

Back