wear on floors from rolling walkers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
my sister has been using a rolling walker, i think they call it a rollator, for over a year now. it looks like she may have to use it for a long time to come. her house is very very old, the original part of the house from the 1700's ... with some rooms having wide pine floors and very old brick/slate flooring in the downstairs bath. i am noticing groove marks in areas of her normal paths as she leans heavily on that walker for support at times.
trying to be proactive here without causing a ruckus. the situation is ... well, a bit grim. they have no money to put down carpeting or do much of anything in terms of repair so it's just bare maintenance. i do the cleaning. i was scouring that bathroom floor as mud comes in on the rollator wheels but i have to be careful not to make the floor slippery. her husband put down a thin, heavy traffic area rug/mat with a rubber bottom but she tripped and fell as her feet sometimes don't lift up as she walks and she caught her toe in the edge. bad scene. he tore it out and took it away.
since you have folks coming in and out and heavy wear and tear on your floors, do any of you have heavy foot traffic from folks with these rolling walkers? i remember the rolling suitcases did a job on our floors at the b&b and we also had heavy wear on the downstairs floor from a rolling chair and some wheelchairs. i had to have a floor finisher come in and do some light sanding and refinishing there.
i went to a workshop on senior/handicap housing modification that suggests putting down laminate flooring but there are no funds for that.
not complaining ... it's the new normal here and i am thinking you would be encountering heavy wear like this with budgets stretched to the limit.
thanks.

There are some walkers out there with pneumatic tires. Also, pneumatic tires are available as an option for some brands of walkers. Insurance will often cover the cost of a walker, or perhaps you could find someone to fit it with pneumatic tires.. I think.the air inside them might cushion the floors?

Look at it as 'character'. It's all you can do. Laminate is definitely better for that situation, but even laminate will warp if it gets wet and my dog was able to scratch it. Plus, it's not good for resale. If you have original floors in that house, resale will be better. (If it's their house and not a rental.)

There are some walkers out there with pneumatic tires. Also, pneumatic tires are available as an option for some brands of walkers. Insurance will often cover the cost of a walker, or perhaps you could find someone to fit it with pneumatic tires.. I think.the air inside them might cushion the floors?.
They sell glider "skiis" for walkers so the front part will slide. It may spread out the weight she puts on the walker so the groves do not form. Go to a pharmacy that sell medical supplies and see what they might have to help.

thank you for your suggestions. i will see what i can find in terms of skis or other tires. it would be best if she can use it inside and out as she seems to have ENDLESS doctor and therapy visits.

thank you for your suggestions. i will see what i can find in terms of skis or other tires. it would be best if she can use it inside and out as she seems to have ENDLESS doctor and therapy visits..
I've seen many folks with walkers who have put tennis balls on them so they scoot along without damaging floors.

thank you for your suggestions. i will see what i can find in terms of skis or other tires. it would be best if she can use it inside and out as she seems to have ENDLESS doctor and therapy visits..
I've seen many folks with walkers who have put tennis balls on them so they scoot along without damaging floors.
I put the skiis on my mother's walker and she uses it inside and outside. They work much better than tennis balls

Also I would look on ebay as you might get something second hand ie walker with thick tires for a good price 2nd hand.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rollator-Lightweight-Walking-Frame-Zimmer-4-Wheeled-/250678064123?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET&hash=item3a5d93b3fb

Flooring would be far too much expensive but cheap area rugs might be an option that could serve Your purpose. Although finances are a problem but some spending is necessary for solution.

Back