Web site 'root' folder?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I am trying to follow directions that tell me to place a file in the root folder of my website. I am *assuming* this simply means in the list of folders on my site (image folder, etc) that this file should not be in any of those folders but just under the overall name of my website...http://www...etc.
Am I wrong? I can view the page I created on the web, but the site that needs to use it says it can't find it.

www,mysite.com/somefile.htm means that somefile.htm is in the root while
www,mysite.com/a-folder/somefile.htm is not at the root.
Make sure the filename is exactly what it is supposed to be. Some servers are case sensitive and some are not.

Make sure the filename is exactly what it is supposed to be. Some servers are case sensitive and some are not..
I had to cut and paste it. It's exactly what they sent to me. And that's where I have it. Arrrgh!
OK, I'll go look at it again.

Make sure the filename is exactly what it is supposed to be. Some servers are case sensitive and some are not..
I had to cut and paste it. It's exactly what they sent to me. And that's where I have it. Arrrgh!
You trying to put in a google or yahoo webmaster key?

Norton Safe Web verification.

Did you get this working?

swirt said:
Nope. I sent them a nasty-gram. I followed the directions in the email they sent, but no luck. Everytime I hit 'verify' I got a message back saying I had to put the auth code in the root directory. (Verify is to prove I own the site, or have control over it. I never even got to the part where they verify the site itself is not a harbor for malware.)

Back