web sites

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
Please don't take this to be unkind but would you stay some where that the b&b did not have their own site? Sometimes they just are listed on sites like bbonline and other but don't have their very own site. Just wondering what others thought. I mean looking at it as a guest.

Probably not. I like to really research things and look at the pictures and the rooms. I compare and contrast things like that. If a B & B has a great website that works well and trys to give you an idea of what it would be like with clear photographs then that is very helpful. It shows that the innkeepers care.

i have
because the b&b was right near where i needed to go for a funeral. closest place around. worked well for me.
nice lady, older lady. widowed. did a nice plate of scrambled eggs for breakfast. sat across from me sipping tea while i ate. it was very basic, just three rooms in a small ranch house. she is not computer savvy. i didn't hold the lack of a website against her but i almost didn't find her place when searching online. she's only listed with one place that hosts her 'page'.
but if i'm 'shopping' for a place to stay, i love to browse through a site, see all the rooms and get a feel for the place. and i tend to book at a place where the website draws me in.

They are not professional if they do not have their own website. I am not paying a business that is not run as a business.
Altho i will add that bedandbreakfast.com allows for high rez photos and some inns have such tiny, fuzzy or a lack of photos on their own website that using bandb.com is actually perferable for a guest to see the place! But that is not the way it is supposed to be!
i call lack of a website a RED FLAG!

If I looked on bbonline and found the inn and they had enough photos and info on bbonline and it was where I wanted to be, then yes, I'd book. However, that simply means I looked on bbonline. If the question is does a B&B need its own website, the answer is yes.

As a traveler I wouldn't stay at a B&B that didn't have a webiste. I have stayed at a few that had very meager websites, and they both turned out to be duds, so never again!

To succeed in today's businnes world, one simply cannot do without a web site. With domain names so inexpensive, there is no reason to not have your own domain name. .com/myinn is not professional. With all the free stuff out there, even if it is a Cousin Ernie web site, it is better than having none. May not get you much business but still beats no web site.How the heck is anyone going to find you with no web site? How is Google going to find you? (That is the generalization you, not anyone specific.)

NO WAY...if they are business savvy enough to have their own website to show off what they will provide for me, I will go elsewhere.
Our association has made it mandatory that any new members MUST have an independent web site domain.

NO WAY...if they are business savvy enough to have their own website to show off what they will provide for me, I will go elsewhere.
Our association has made it mandatory that any new members MUST have an independent web site domain..
I never stay if they do not have a site of their own. I think they are just not getting it.
I would not stay at a place that has the tolet seat up in the pictures. I am sorry I had to throw that in. I cannot believe I have see that many times. I am not pointing a finger at anyone. It is just my opinion.
I had a guest last week that said she never stays in a place that says anything with the word grandma's place on the site. She said she would feel like they needed to get seperate rooms. She said that is not romantic to hear the word grandma in any sense.
I think we can learn from not only each other but our guests as well.
Just a thought for the day.

As a traveler I wouldn't stay at a B&B that didn't have a webiste. I have stayed at a few that had very meager websites, and they both turned out to be duds, so never again!.
GeorgiaGirl said:
As a traveler I wouldn't stay at a B&B that didn't have a webiste. I have stayed at a few that had very meager websites, and they both turned out to be duds, so never again!
You have proven it GG in your travels. Somehow the lack of personality on the website was what you found lacking in person as well.
That is such a fine line to cross. I am to the point that if there is nothing personal on the website (not wanting a huge bio or such) I don't want to book there. If there is a blog that gives a more personal touch, then YES, but a website that is cold cookie cutter (the term we like to use describing hotels) then no moolaw to that B&B.
Effort, marketing, it is all part of WHY we stay in a B&B in the first place. If they are reaching out to us vs just slamming a page up in BBonline...well the difference will be found in person as well. IMO

No...it's almost 2009. I think that if they're running their B&B as a business, they need to get with it.

Our association has made it mandatory that any new members MUST have an independent web site domain..
I never stay if they do not have a site of their own. I think they are just not getting it.
I would not stay at a place that has the tolet seat up in the pictures. I am sorry I had to throw that in. I cannot believe I have see that many times. I am not pointing a finger at anyone. It is just my opinion.
I had a guest last week that said she never stays in a place that says anything with the word grandma's place on the site. She said she would feel like they needed to get seperate rooms. She said that is not romantic to hear the word grandma in any sense.
I think we can learn from not only each other but our guests as well.
Just a thought for the day.
Oh I too agree with you.
When folks send me photos for their websites, I CRINGE at what I see sometimes. I don't even want to see the roll of toilet paper. Sometimes I can clone that out of a picture:)
I have to try and be very diplomatic when I get images from folks I don't know real well...but I get try to get the point across to them:)

Back