Web Stats

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
This is exciting! It's been a little while since I checked my web statistics via Google Analytics. After the site being up for almost 1 year, my daily visits are more than double, my page views per visit and time on site are good, bounce rate is low, and 75% are new visitors. People are finding us! And, the source of visits has changed where there is a much smaller percentage of direct traffic. The only States not heard from are the Dakotas. Interesting.... haha!
Now I just need to implement some of the other statistics to delve deeper. I guess it's time to attend "Conversion University" with Analytics...(in my spare time).
How often do y'all check on your stats? What have you set up to check conversion?

Hi Samster,
Have you looked at referring traffic and how much is coming from all the various websites? Just curious to see how it is breaking out.
JB

Samster I know you use SuperInn. When I was using Superinn I set up two goals in Analytics for outgoing links (because linking to superinn is really an outgoing link). The first goal was for the make a reservation link that was on my reservation page and the second goal was for the Book now link that was on every page. This let me differentiate in a quick way which item was more successful at attracting their focus.
I also set up a goal on my email links (which are also seen as outgoing links) so that I could track when people clicked on the mailto link to email me.
samster said:
And, the source of visits has changed where there is a much smaller percentage of direct traffic.
Keep in mind that it in this view it gives the impression that your direct traffic went down, but in reality it is more likely that it stayed the same or even increased but because your other sources went up more, it made this percentage look like it shrank.

Samster I know you use SuperInn. When I was using Superinn I set up two goals in Analytics for outgoing links (because linking to superinn is really an outgoing link). The first goal was for the make a reservation link that was on my reservation page and the second goal was for the Book now link that was on every page. This let me differentiate in a quick way which item was more successful at attracting their focus.
I also set up a goal on my email links (which are also seen as outgoing links) so that I could track when people clicked on the mailto link to email me.
samster said:
And, the source of visits has changed where there is a much smaller percentage of direct traffic.
Keep in mind that it in this view it gives the impression that your direct traffic went down, but in reality it is more likely that it stayed the same or even increased but because your other sources went up more, it made this percentage look like it shrank..
Oh come on now...make me learn something else new
devil_smile.gif

samster said:
Keep in mind that it in this view it gives the impression that your direct traffic went down, but in reality it is more likely that it stayed the same or even increased but because your other sources went up more, it made this percentage look like it shrank..
swirt said:
samster said:
Keep in mind that it in this view it gives the impression that your direct traffic went down, but in reality it is more likely that it stayed the same or even increased but because your other sources went up more, it made this percentage look like it shrank.
Does Superinn support full conversion tracking btw? If so - wouldn't that be better to use?

samster said:
swirt said:
samster said:
Does Superinn support full conversion tracking btw? If so - wouldn't that be better to use?
It would be better to use, but its not built in. I have heard of some larger inns getting them to add it for them, but it is not a standard/included feature.

samster said:
Thanks for the info. When I digest it, maybe I'll try to set it up
wink_smile.gif
I'm just happy that more folks are seeing the site :)

Hi Samster,
Have you looked at referring traffic and how much is coming from all the various websites? Just curious to see how it is breaking out.
JB.
yep...I looked at that. I'll have to pull it back up, but your directory was right up there.
regular_smile.gif

Back