Webervations - A big change - must read

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still haven't gotten an email, I'd like to see how they're presenting this to their existing customers. Luckily it will not affect me, getting a text message is no big deal and the phone actually is more secure than the internet (the reason why medical records can be faxed but not emailed). So I'm glad for the security front (I guess, we'll see how it works out).
At the end of the day you still can't beat Webervations for price and functionality (and service, because that group of folks is still housed in Ohio, away from the giant nightmare arm of Rezovation/BB.com). If that changes, then I'll be moving, but until then it's just not worth the hassle (having tried to do it twice now, and each time being a complete fiasco)..
Don Draper said:
I still haven't gotten an email, I'd like to see how they're presenting this to their existing customers. Luckily it will not affect me, getting a text message is no big deal and the phone actually is more secure than the internet (the reason why medical records can be faxed but not emailed). So I'm glad for the security front (I guess, we'll see how it works out).
At the end of the day you still can't beat Webervations for price and functionality (and service, because that group of folks is still housed in Ohio, away from the giant nightmare arm of Rezovation/BB.com). If that changes, then I'll be moving, but until then it's just not worth the hassle (having tried to do it twice now, and each time being a complete fiasco).
I am hearing that if we don't go through their cc processing we will be paying 20$ more per month. I'm not staying to see what they will pull next.
RIki
NO, it is not $20 more a month if you go with option 4, which will send the first 12 to your phone upon request.
I believe option 3 is to keep your same processor, they can send the CC to it for $19.99 a month. I don't know how that would work, guess you would submit how much to charge & when.
copperhead said:
NO, it is not $20 more a month if you go with option 4, which will send the first 12 to your phone upon request.
I believe option 3 is to keep your same processor, they can send the CC to it for $19.99 a month. I don't know how that would work, guess you would submit how much to charge & when.
Okay, but in reading that option it sounds like I'm going through yet another conpany to get the cc info. Again, it's getting too complicated and none of the other reservation systems require any of this and give you all the info.
Again, I think this is geared to make us go through their processing co. That's a lot of money to them.
And my point is what will they pull next? Better to dump them now.
RIki

If you don't use webervations to process your credit cards then what is the problem? Choose option 4 and you are still good to go. Right?.
catlady said:
If you don't use webervations to process your credit cards then what is the problem? Choose option 4 and you are still good to go. Right?
Yes and NO... Only the last 4 numbers and expiry will be displayed in Weberv, the remaining 12 will be sent to you via phone text message upon your request. That extra step would be a continual PAIN for me.. Each time I want to take a deposit, I have to request a text, then have it sent. I do have unlimited text messaging I just don't think this extra step is necessary.
I have been looking at serval other sites and some stating their PCI compliance and you do see the data. I see another motive to this change - digging deeper in our pockets. I have never been one to keep all my eggs in one basket, and do not intend to do so with this outfit.
So it appears the bottom line is, no mobile phone to get a text message, you can't get the full credit card number???? Right???

If you don't use webervations to process your credit cards then what is the problem? Choose option 4 and you are still good to go. Right?.
catlady said:
If you don't use webervations to process your credit cards then what is the problem? Choose option 4 and you are still good to go. Right?
Yes and NO... Only the last 4 numbers and expiry will be displayed in Weberv, the remaining 12 will be sent to you via phone text message upon your request. That extra step would be a continual PAIN for me.. Each time I want to take a deposit, I have to request a text, then have it sent. I do have unlimited text messaging I just don't think this extra step is necessary.
I have been looking at serval other sites and some stating their PCI compliance and you do see the data. I see another motive to this change - digging deeper in our pockets. I have never been one to keep all my eggs in one basket, and do not intend to do so with this outfit.
So it appears the bottom line is, no mobile phone to get a text message, you can't get the full credit card number???? Right???
catlady said:
Right! That's a problems for many who don't have reliable cell phone service. That's one of the reasons many are jumping to compare others to switch. That along with "what will they pull next????"
RIki

At the end of the day you still can't beat Webervations for price and functionality (and service, because that group of folks is still housed in Ohio, away from the giant nightmare arm of Rezovation/BB.com). If that changes, then I'll be moving, but until then it's just not worth the hassle (having tried to do it twice now, and each time being a complete fiasco)..
Don Draper said:
At the end of the day you still can't beat Webervations for price and functionality (and service, because that group of folks is still housed in Ohio, away from the giant nightmare arm of Rezovation/BB.com). If that changes, then I'll be moving, but until then it's just not worth the hassle (having tried to do it twice now, and each time being a complete fiasco).
I am hearing that if we don't go through their cc processing we will be paying 20$ more per month. I'm not staying to see what they will pull next.
RIki
I hadn't heard that, still have gotten nothing from them. But even at $20 extra per month, for my 9 rooms, they are much less expensive than any other alternatives I've looked at.
Don Draper said:
I hadn't heard that, still have gotten nothing from them. But even at $20 extra per month, for my 9 rooms, they are much less expensive than any other alternatives I've looked at.
Been looking around myself, so far Reservation Key is in the same ballpark dollar wise but they do so much more than Weberv. for 5-10 rooms it is $18.99 a month and you do get all the guest data. I will be checking with them today to see how they work the data change over. If I recall they help with that.
It depends on your individual needs. For us, they are not nearly as customizable as Webervations, no integrated purchasing of gift certificates (you have to go through Paypal, not sure why) and no ability to limit packages to certain dates which is huge for us. Would result in many more phone calls and Webervations it is all done online. Not sure how their PCI compliance is either.
Trying to convert was a nightmare, you basically have to kiss your old guest info goodbye and start from scratch (if your old data is from Webervations, it will not convert. Not sure about other programs). Plus it is only one person and you saw the issues on here recently when there was an "outage"...no phone number to contact someone, just an email which I do not like.

Don Draper said:
RIki
Don Draper said:
Been looking around myself, so far Reservation Key is in the same ballpark dollar wise but they do so much more than Weberv. for 5-10 rooms it is $18.99 a month and you do get all the guest data. I will be checking with them today to see how they work the data change over. If I recall they help with that.
Dup Post

catlady said:
catlady said:
Right! That's a problems for many who don't have reliable cell phone service. That's one of the reasons many are jumping to compare others to switch. That along with "what will they pull next????"
RIki
Looks like this may be keeping Reservation Key busy for a bit :) Has anyone asked that company how they are handling credit card numbers? What is your experience JB?

Don Draper said:
RIki
Don Draper said:
Dup Post
Don Draper said:
They are not nearly as customizable as Webervations, not integrated GC's (you have to go through Paypal, not sure why) and not ability to limit packages to certain dates which is huge for us.
Trying to convert was a nightmare, you basically have to kiss your old guest info goodbye and start from scratch (if your old data is from Webervations, it will not convert. Not sure about other programs). Plus it is only one person and you saw the issues on here recently when there was an "outage"...no phone number to contact someone.
You are saying Reservation Key goes through Paypal? That I don't like. If that's true you have saved me time. Now I only have three systems to study..
I don't think any of them convert.
Riki

Don Draper said:
RIki
Don Draper said:
Dup Post
Don Draper said:
They are not nearly as customizable as Webervations, not integrated GC's (you have to go through Paypal, not sure why) and not ability to limit packages to certain dates which is huge for us.
Trying to convert was a nightmare, you basically have to kiss your old guest info goodbye and start from scratch (if your old data is from Webervations, it will not convert. Not sure about other programs). Plus it is only one person and you saw the issues on here recently when there was an "outage"...no phone number to contact someone.
You are saying Reservation Key goes through Paypal? That I don't like. If that's true you have saved me time. Now I only have three systems to study..
Riki

I certainly hope they plan to notify their customers of this, did you get an email or did you just happen to see this?.
Recieved an email this afternoon. Spent 5 minutes looking at it steaming. Again this shows their lack of loyalty to their customers. I do understand they are trying to perfect the security of the customers CC but that said they are also looking at ways to line their own pockets. And giving their customers only 1 month to sort out what best fits their business.
CH: Do you mind sharing the text of the email they sent you? If you'd rather not post here would you mind sending me an email? I'd like to get out in front of this as much as possible.
Don Draper said:
CH: Do you mind sharing the text of the email they sent you? If you'd rather not post here would you mind sending me an email? I'd like to get out in front of this as much as possible.
This is what I got:
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]Dear Innkeeper, [/COLOR]

We are pleased to announce the expansion of our credit card processing options within the Webervations® system, which will make managing your online payments easier and more affordable than ever!

Beginning this fall, if you are a Webervations customer, you will have four credit card processing options available to you.
Option 1 – Process through our new partner, InnPayment. InnPayment’s processing is now directly integrated into Webervations! Innpayment offers a low, fixed rate of 2.5% with no fees or long-term contracts.
Option 2 – Process through Intuit Merchant Services. Intuit also offers low processing rates with no long-term commitment and has been actively connected to Webervations for more than a year.
Option 3 – Process through virtually any credit card processor through our new “Gateway.” While InnPayment and Intuit have rates that are virtually impossible to beat, this gateway option provided by Yapstone costs $19.99/month and enables you, in most cases, to keep your current processor or have a wide range of credit card processing options available to you.
Option 4 – Process through Webervations. Customers can continue to use Webervations for the capture and storage of credit card numbers; however now you can only retrieve credit card numbers via our new two-part system – the last four digits will appear in Webervations, and the first twelve will be transmitted via text message (SMS) to the device of your choice. This two-part retrieval and transmittal system assures that your guests’ data is being handled in a secure manner.

Please note, Webervations will not allow the unencrypted viewing of credit card data by any users. The first three options above enable the storage of credit cards for deposits, holds and charges, but do not reveal the full number within the system. However, as explained in option four, Webervations users can still access the full credit card number via the two-part retrieval system.
These changes will be effective in September 2011 to all Webervations users. Please stay tuned for additional information and for your specific roll out date.

If you have questions about your Webervations account or this upcoming change please contact our support team at 877-204-7245.

For more information about InnPayment or Intuit credit card processing including rates and how to sign up, please contact our sales team at 866-565-1800

Thank you!
- The Webervations Team

Thanks Riki.
Ok, I can breathe a little easier. The text message option is really no more steps then entering the security questions that you have to answer now to get the whole number that we have to do now. Keeps the info safer, it seems.
I just will never, never, never use an integrated cc processing system. Seeing how Rezovations misused our personal info once they had passwords to the programs they needed to access. Too risky for us.

Don Draper said:
RIki
Don Draper said:
Dup Post
Don Draper said:
Riki
I don't think that is right. Ask JB or Kathleen. They both use it and I never heard them mention having to use PAYPAL. That may be for people who want on line processing. If you do that yourself through your own processor, it wouldn't affect you. The key is you want the credit card information. I don't know how they do that.

I certainly hope they plan to notify their customers of this, did you get an email or did you just happen to see this?.
Recieved an email this afternoon. Spent 5 minutes looking at it steaming. Again this shows their lack of loyalty to their customers. I do understand they are trying to perfect the security of the customers CC but that said they are also looking at ways to line their own pockets. And giving their customers only 1 month to sort out what best fits their business.
Here you go - the link I provided above was included with this email.
Dear Innkeeper,
We are pleased to announce the expansion of our credit card processing options within the Webervations® system, which will make managing your online payments easier and more affordable than ever!
Beginning this fall, if you are a Webervations customer, you will have four credit card processing options available to you.
Option 1 – Process through our new partner, InnPayment. InnPayment’s processing is now directly integrated into Webervations! Innpayment offers a low, fixed rate of 2.5% with no fees or long-term contracts.
istock_000005383287xsmall.jpg

Option 2 – Process through Intuit Merchant Services. Intuit also offers low processing rates with no long-term commitment and has been actively connected to Webervations for more than a year.
Option 3 – Process through virtually any credit card processor through our new “Gateway.” While InnPayment and Intuit have rates that are virtually impossible to beat, this gateway option provided by Yapstone costs $19.99/month and enables you, in most cases, to keep your current processor or have a wide range of credit card processing options available to you.
Option 4 – Process through Webervations. Customers can continue to use Webervations for the capture and storage of credit card numbers; however now you can only retrieve credit card numbers via our new two-part system – the last four digits will appear in Webervations, and the first twelve will be transmitted via text message (SMS) to the device of your choice. This two-part retrieval and transmittal system assures that your guests’ data is being handled in a secure manner.
Please note, Webervations will not allow the unencrypted viewing of credit card data by any users. The first three options above enable the storage of credit cards for deposits, holds and charges, but do not reveal the full number within the system. However, as explained in option four, Webervations users can still access the full credit card number via the two-part retrieval system.
These changes will be effective in September 2011 to all Webervations users. Please stay tuned for additional information and for your specific roll out date.
If you have questions about your Webervations account or this upcoming change please contact our support team at 877-204-7245.

For more information about InnPayment or Intuit credit card processing including rates and how to sign up, please contact our sales team at 866-565-1800
Thank you!
- The Webervations Team

Don Draper said:
RIki
Don Draper said:
Dup Post
Don Draper said:
Riki
For gift certificate purchases, for some reason the guest has to pay through PayPal. I've never gotten an answer as to why this is..."regular" reservations come through like Webervations does now.

Don Draper said:
RIki
Don Draper said:
It depends on your individual needs. For us, they are not nearly as customizable as Webervations, no integrated purchasing of gift certificates (you have to go through Paypal, not sure why) and no ability to limit packages to certain dates which is huge for us. Would result in many more phone calls and Webervations it is all done online. Not sure how their PCI compliance is either.
Trying to convert was a nightmare, you basically have to kiss your old guest info goodbye and start from scratch (if your old data is from Webervations, it will not convert. Not sure about other programs). Plus it is only one person and you saw the issues on here recently when there was an "outage"...no phone number to contact someone, just an email which I do not like.
Don Draper said:
Don't think this is correct information at all. JB, BD and Kathleen all use this system and have never stated they use Paypal. Converting data is a problem no matter who you are with and where you move your data but I do believe ResKey offers assistance with this. I am going to contact them today. Weberv did some changes to their data downloads a while back, which makes it more difficult than it was in the earlier days... (I hate to say this but I believe that was done in an effort to discourage people from moving to another company other than their 'family of choices'.)

Don Draper said:
RIki
Don Draper said:
Don Draper said:
Don't think this is correct information at all. JB, BD and Kathleen all use this system and have never stated they use Paypal. Converting data is a problem no matter who you are with and where you move your data but I do believe ResKey offers assistance with this. I am going to contact them today. Weberv did some changes to their data downloads a while back, which makes it more difficult than it was in the earlier days... (I hate to say this but I believe that was done in an effort to discourage people from moving to another company other than their 'family of choices'.)
copperhead said:
Don Draper said:
Absolutely correct, buyer must purchase GC's through Paypal.
ResKey tried to assist us in moving the data from Webervations, you can get it into an Excel format but the way Webervations does their dates it will not convert. Believe me, I was ready to be John at ResKey's biggest cheerleader. He tried, but for us his product couldn't do what we wanted it to, nor as cheaply. Our needs may be different than others'.

Don Draper said:
RIki
Don Draper said:
Dup Post
Don Draper said:
Riki
For gift certificate purchases, for some reason the guest has to pay through PayPal. I've never gotten an answer as to why this is..."regular" reservations come through like Webervations does now.
Don Draper said:
If that is the only issue, I would gladly bypass using them for GC and do the sales manually in order to get everything else the program offers. Guess it would depend on just how many GC you sell.

Don Draper said:
RIki
Don Draper said:
Don Draper said:
copperhead said:
Weberv did some changes to their data downloads a while back, which makes it more difficult than it was in the earlier days... (I hate to say this but I believe that was done in an effort to discourage people from moving to another company other than their 'family of choices'.)
No, it is just as hard to move Webervations data to the other bandb.com products like Rezovations. I investigated that path, thinking that surely bandb.com would figure out how to convert folks to Rezovations. They haven't and they have no plans to do so, as far as I know.

Don Draper said:
RIki
Don Draper said:
Don Draper said:
copperhead said:
Don Draper said:
Absolutely correct, buyer must purchase GC's through Paypal.
ResKey tried to assist us in moving the data from Webervations, you can get it into an Excel format but the way Webervations does their dates it will not convert. Believe me, I was ready to be John at ResKey's biggest cheerleader. He tried, but for us his product couldn't do what we wanted it to, nor as cheaply. Our needs may be different than others'.
Thank you all for clearing up the paypal thing with Reskey - so it's back in the running for me.
Draper - can you share why they did not work for you? It could save me some research time if I have a similara situation..if too personal no worries.
RIki

Don Draper said:
This is what I got:

Thank you!
- The Webervations Team

Thanks Riki.
Ok, I can breathe a little easier. The text message option is really no more steps then entering the security questions that you have to answer now to get the whole number that we have to do now. Keeps the info safer, it seems.
I just will never, never, never use an integrated cc processing system. Seeing how Rezovations misused our personal info once they had passwords to the programs they needed to access. Too risky for us.
Don Draper said:
Thanks Riki.
But
provided by Yapstone costs $19.99/month and enables you, in most cases, to keep your current processor or have a wide range of credit card processing options available to you.
Who the heck is Yapstone? I don't like having yet another company involved in this...and "in most cases" does not mean it will work for me.
And again, I don't have the TIME to receive it on my cell phone, send it to my PC, etc etc.
And what will they pull next, becaue it will only take some time before they tell us "for our own secuity" they will not accept other cc processors. Mark my words....
RIki

Hi gang,
Just wanted to clear-up any confusion here. We could have been more clear in describing option 4. There is no additional fee to use option 4 at all. It will work just like Webervations does now, except that instead of entering the additional information online each time to retrieve a credit card, the card is delivered via SMS automatically. This is a very secure method and should take less time than the old one.
With regards to the $19.99 - that applies IF you want to process credit cards in an online, integrated fashion using your current processor (most processors work). The fee is for the gateway fee to your processor. The gateway we are using is from a company called Yapstone - the parent company of Innpayment.
If you'd like any more details on this, please email me directly.

Don Draper said:
This is what I got:

Thank you!
- The Webervations Team

Thanks Riki.
Don Draper said:
Thanks Riki.
But
provided by Yapstone costs $19.99/month and enables you, in most cases, to keep your current processor or have a wide range of credit card processing options available to you.
Who the heck is Yapstone? I don't like having yet another company involved in this...and "in most cases" does not mean it will work for me.
And again, I don't have the TIME to receive it on my cell phone, send it to my PC, etc etc.
And what will they pull next, becaue it will only take some time before they tell us "for our own secuity" they will not accept other cc processors. Mark my words....
RIki
I wouldn't do the Yapstone thing at all. I just called Webervations and spoke with Andy, to ask very directly if he foresaw Rezovations eventually FORCING everyone to do integrated cc processing in the long run. He said absolutely not.
The text message option is not going to take any more time than answering the 2 security questions already does, you will get an instant text message with the first 12 digits of the cc number, and the last 4 will be displayed on Webervations. What I have to do right now is answer the 2 security questions, then the cc number pops up, I write it down and process the deposit. So now instead of seeing the cc number on the computer I will see it on my phone. You don't have to send it anywhere. My phone is always on me, I text constantly so it's just not a big deal, and you can see how it is more secure because the entire credit card number will never appear all in one spot at once. There are no additional fees.
For my 9 room inn Webervations costs me $99/year, it does everything I need it to and was entirely customizable so it blends in with our website. I like their support and I like the simplicity of their system. We have no need for Property Management Software, we don't do any automated emails, and I don't keep "notes" the way some innkeepers do (if it's something important I will likely remember it for a repeat guest). So just no need/incentive for us to buy bells and whistles that we won't use. If I need to look up a prior guest I just go to Webervations and download my guest data into Excel, and search for the guest by last name. I can see when and which room they stayed in. That's all we need. No reports which some people really like, we just don't have a need for it. I like that it is real time booking (so it takes the requested room out of inventory) but still allows me to individualize the confirmation (many don't, they want to run the deposit and generate an automatic confirmation, I don't want that, I want to be able to check my book before sending a firm confirmation).
Reservation Key did not work for us because while it did allow you to add an Upsale Item or Package, it was always displayed with your availability. We do specialty weekends and I only want the package add-on to be available for specific dates and they can't do that. We also sell many gift certificates, almost exclusively online, and I did not want to have to make the guest go through Paypal for that (I believe it was my asking for a GC function that prompted this solution, it didn't exist at all before then but at the time I asked for it I was just told it wasn't possible).
I went through the entire process of setting our Inn up in ResKey, you can't really tell until you try to use it how it will work for you specifically. John was very helpful initially, but he is a one man show and a practicing attorney I believe as well so support is limited to when he has time. I will say that ResKey seems much more user friendly and small inn friendly than any of the other systems I looked into (Avail Online and Innkeepers Advantage).

Back