Webervations - A big change - must read

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rezkey - I have not looked into the GC scenario because 1) we never DID sell them online with webers, only over the phone. It WAS set up via paypal, but I do not use paypal, rezkey IF YOU DID use paypal was a great prgm that way, automatically taking the deposit etc for you. But we process cards here at the B&B via a swipecc processor.
I believe it had been adjusted as Don was very adamant about it, so I will have to allow BD to answer, I think there was a thread on it a while back.
My whole thing is this - I have to run this PCI compliance scan every month and pay to be compliant, I don't want any cc infor emailed to me in any form or fashion, I want to go to the online reservation system and have it there only. Whether this or that is more secure or another I do not know, I can only speak for myself and say I am compliant.
Note - I as actually trying to stay out of this conversation since I don't use webervations any more. I was asked to comment since I use Reservation Key. I have had only good experiences with it and do recommend it.

I certainly hope they plan to notify their customers of this, did you get an email or did you just happen to see this?.
Recieved an email this afternoon. Spent 5 minutes looking at it steaming. Again this shows their lack of loyalty to their customers. I do understand they are trying to perfect the security of the customers CC but that said they are also looking at ways to line their own pockets. And giving their customers only 1 month to sort out what best fits their business.
CH: Do you mind sharing the text of the email they sent you? If you'd rather not post here would you mind sending me an email? I'd like to get out in front of this as much as possible.
Don Draper said:
CH: Do you mind sharing the text of the email they sent you? If you'd rather not post here would you mind sending me an email? I'd like to get out in front of this as much as possible.
This is what I got:
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]Dear Innkeeper, [/COLOR]

We are pleased to announce the expansion of our credit card processing options within the Webervations® system, which will make managing your online payments easier and more affordable than ever!

Beginning this fall, if you are a Webervations customer, you will have four credit card processing options available to you.
Option 1 – Process through our new partner, InnPayment. InnPayment’s processing is now directly integrated into Webervations! Innpayment offers a low, fixed rate of 2.5% with no fees or long-term contracts.
Option 2 – Process through Intuit Merchant Services. Intuit also offers low processing rates with no long-term commitment and has been actively connected to Webervations for more than a year.
Option 3 – Process through virtually any credit card processor through our new “Gateway.” While InnPayment and Intuit have rates that are virtually impossible to beat, this gateway option provided by Yapstone costs $19.99/month and enables you, in most cases, to keep your current processor or have a wide range of credit card processing options available to you.
Option 4 – Process through Webervations. Customers can continue to use Webervations for the capture and storage of credit card numbers; however now you can only retrieve credit card numbers via our new two-part system – the last four digits will appear in Webervations, and the first twelve will be transmitted via text message (SMS) to the device of your choice. This two-part retrieval and transmittal system assures that your guests’ data is being handled in a secure manner.

Please note, Webervations will not allow the unencrypted viewing of credit card data by any users. The first three options above enable the storage of credit cards for deposits, holds and charges, but do not reveal the full number within the system. However, as explained in option four, Webervations users can still access the full credit card number via the two-part retrieval system.
These changes will be effective in September 2011 to all Webervations users. Please stay tuned for additional information and for your specific roll out date.

If you have questions about your Webervations account or this upcoming change please contact our support team at 877-204-7245.

For more information about InnPayment or Intuit credit card processing including rates and how to sign up, please contact our sales team at 866-565-1800

Thank you!
- The Webervations Team

Thanks Riki.
Ok, I can breathe a little easier. The text message option is really no more steps then entering the security questions that you have to answer now to get the whole number that we have to do now. Keeps the info safer, it seems.
I just will never, never, never use an integrated cc processing system. Seeing how Rezovations misused our personal info once they had passwords to the programs they needed to access. Too risky for us.
Don Draper said:
Thanks Riki.
Ok, I can breathe a little easier. The text message option is really no more steps then entering the security questions that you have to answer now to get the whole number that we have to do now. Keeps the info safer, it seems.
I just will never, never, never use an integrated cc processing system. Seeing how Rezovations misused our personal info once they had passwords to the programs they needed to access. Too risky for us.
But
provided by Yapstone costs $19.99/month and enables you, in most cases, to keep your current processor or have a wide range of credit card processing options available to you.
Who the heck is Yapstone? I don't like having yet another company involved in this...and "in most cases" does not mean it will work for me.
And again, I don't have the TIME to receive it on my cell phone, send it to my PC, etc etc.
And what will they pull next, becaue it will only take some time before they tell us "for our own secuity" they will not accept other cc processors. Mark my words....
RIki
I wouldn't do the Yapstone thing at all. I just called Webervations and spoke with Andy, to ask very directly if he foresaw Rezovations eventually FORCING everyone to do integrated cc processing in the long run. He said absolutely not.
The text message option is not going to take any more time than answering the 2 security questions already does, you will get an instant text message with the first 12 digits of the cc number, and the last 4 will be displayed on Webervations. What I have to do right now is answer the 2 security questions, then the cc number pops up, I write it down and process the deposit. So now instead of seeing the cc number on the computer I will see it on my phone. You don't have to send it anywhere. My phone is always on me, I text constantly so it's just not a big deal, and you can see how it is more secure because the entire credit card number will never appear all in one spot at once. There are no additional fees.
For my 9 room inn Webervations costs me $99/year, it does everything I need it to and was entirely customizable so it blends in with our website. I like their support and I like the simplicity of their system. We have no need for Property Management Software, we don't do any automated emails, and I don't keep "notes" the way some innkeepers do (if it's something important I will likely remember it for a repeat guest). So just no need/incentive for us to buy bells and whistles that we won't use. If I need to look up a prior guest I just go to Webervations and download my guest data into Excel, and search for the guest by last name. I can see when and which room they stayed in. That's all we need. No reports which some people really like, we just don't have a need for it. I like that it is real time booking (so it takes the requested room out of inventory) but still allows me to individualize the confirmation (many don't, they want to run the deposit and generate an automatic confirmation, I don't want that, I want to be able to check my book before sending a firm confirmation).
Reservation Key did not work for us because while it did allow you to add an Upsale Item or Package, it was always displayed with your availability. We do specialty weekends and I only want the package add-on to be available for specific dates and they can't do that. We also sell many gift certificates, almost exclusively online, and I did not want to have to make the guest go through Paypal for that (I believe it was my asking for a GC function that prompted this solution, it didn't exist at all before then but at the time I asked for it I was just told it wasn't possible).
I went through the entire process of setting our Inn up in ResKey, you can't really tell until you try to use it how it will work for you specifically. John was very helpful initially, but he is a one man show and a practicing attorney I believe as well so support is limited to when he has time. I will say that ResKey seems much more user friendly and small inn friendly than any of the other systems I looked into (Avail Online and Innkeepers Advantage).
Don Draper said:
The text message option is not going to take any more time than answering the 2 security questions already does, you will get an instant text message with the first 12 digits of the cc number, and the last 4 will be displayed on Webervations. What I have to do right now is answer the 2 security questions, then the cc number pops up, I write it down and process the deposit. So now instead of seeing the cc number on the computer I will see it on my phone. You don't have to send it anywhere. My phone is always on me, I text constantly so it's just not a big deal, and you can see how it is more secure because the entire credit card number will never appear all in one spot at once. There are no additional fees.
Thank you very much for your answer
I don't want to do the cell phone thing. We write down the cc info for our tours almost 5 days a week and I think I am somewhat dyslexic or something but there is too much room for human error for me in looking at my cell and writing down the number, especially when it is not necessary that it's done this way. From time to time we miss a digit or something and have to email and call the guest for the correction. I don't want to increase this waste of time.
I can't beleive that all other industries are making small businesses do this. I can't beleve this is not an attempt to gain cc processing business.
I understand why the other did not work for you - my situation is then different as our packages are constant - there is right now only two of us and only a few packages that are standard. The only changes we do and we do it by email is when a guest wants the tour package and the history package both.
Thanks again for your info - it's helped me a lot
RIki

Rezkey - I have not looked into the GC scenario because 1) we never DID sell them online with webers, only over the phone. It WAS set up via paypal, but I do not use paypal, rezkey IF YOU DID use paypal was a great prgm that way, automatically taking the deposit etc for you. But we process cards here at the B&B via a swipecc processor.
I believe it had been adjusted as Don was very adamant about it, so I will have to allow BD to answer, I think there was a thread on it a while back.
My whole thing is this - I have to run this PCI compliance scan every month and pay to be compliant, I don't want any cc infor emailed to me in any form or fashion, I want to go to the online reservation system and have it there only. Whether this or that is more secure or another I do not know, I can only speak for myself and say I am compliant.
Note - I as actually trying to stay out of this conversation since I don't use webervations any more. I was asked to comment since I use Reservation Key. I have had only good experiences with it and do recommend it..
Joey Bloggs said:
Note - I as actually trying to stay out of this conversation since I don't use webervations any more. I was asked to comment since I use Reservation Key. I have had only good experiences with it and do recommend it.
JB thank you for your input - really helps. One question - when you say "I have to run this PCI compliance scan every month and pay to be compliant," do you mean through Rezkey you are doing this or is there something I don't know about being compliant? I no longer enter the cc info into my operating system so I don't have the info on my computer, but is there something else I should be doing?
RIki

Hi gang,
Just wanted to clear-up any confusion here. We could have been more clear in describing option 4. There is no additional fee to use option 4 at all. It will work just like Webervations does now, except that instead of entering the additional information online each time to retrieve a credit card, the card is delivered via SMS automatically. This is a very secure method and should take less time than the old one.
With regards to the $19.99 - that applies IF you want to process credit cards in an online, integrated fashion using your current processor (most processors work). The fee is for the gateway fee to your processor. The gateway we are using is from a company called Yapstone - the parent company of Innpayment.
If you'd like any more details on this, please email me directly..
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
Just wanted to clear-up any confusion here. We could have been more clear in describing option 4. There is no additional fee to use option 4 at all. It will work just like Webervations does now, except that instead of entering the additional information online each time to retrieve a credit card, the card is delivered via SMS automatically. This is a very secure method and should take less time than the old one.
You are recommending that we get part of the cc number off Webercations and the rest of it on a cell phone and then have to forward it to the computer or write it down and you think that is less time than entering a password? You have got to be kidding.
I write down the cc info all the time for my tours and it is not something I want to do for my inn, thank you very much.
RIki

I certainly hope they plan to notify their customers of this, did you get an email or did you just happen to see this?.
Recieved an email this afternoon. Spent 5 minutes looking at it steaming. Again this shows their lack of loyalty to their customers. I do understand they are trying to perfect the security of the customers CC but that said they are also looking at ways to line their own pockets. And giving their customers only 1 month to sort out what best fits their business.
Don Draper said:
This is what I got:

We are pleased to announce the expansion of our credit card processing options within the Webervations® system, which will make managing your online payments easier and more affordable than ever!

Beginning this fall, if you are a Webervations customer, you will have four credit card processing options available to you.
Option 1 – Process through our new partner, InnPayment. InnPayment’s processing is now directly integrated into Webervations! Innpayment offers a low, fixed rate of 2.5% with no fees or long-term contracts.
Option 2 – Process through Intuit Merchant Services. Intuit also offers low processing rates with no long-term commitment and has been actively connected to Webervations for more than a year.
Option 3 – Process through virtually any credit card processor through our new “Gateway.” While InnPayment and Intuit have rates that are virtually impossible to beat, this gateway option provided by Yapstone costs $19.99/month and enables you, in most cases, to keep your current processor or have a wide range of credit card processing options available to you.
Option 4 – Process through Webervations. Customers can continue to use Webervations for the capture and storage of credit card numbers; however now you can only retrieve credit card numbers via our new two-part system – the last four digits will appear in Webervations, and the first twelve will be transmitted via text message (SMS) to the device of your choice. This two-part retrieval and transmittal system assures that your guests’ data is being handled in a secure manner.

Please note, Webervations will not allow the unencrypted viewing of credit card data by any users. The first three options above enable the storage of credit cards for deposits, holds and charges, but do not reveal the full number within the system. However, as explained in option four, Webervations users can still access the full credit card number via the two-part retrieval system.
These changes will be effective in September 2011 to all Webervations users. Please stay tuned for additional information and for your specific roll out date.

If you have questions about your Webervations account or this upcoming change please contact our support team at 877-204-7245.

For more information about InnPayment or Intuit credit card processing including rates and how to sign up, please contact our sales team at 866-565-1800

Thank you!
- The Webervations Team

Thanks Riki.
Don Draper said:
Thanks Riki.
But
provided by Yapstone costs $19.99/month and enables you, in most cases, to keep your current processor or have a wide range of credit card processing options available to you.
Who the heck is Yapstone? I don't like having yet another company involved in this...and "in most cases" does not mean it will work for me.
And again, I don't have the TIME to receive it on my cell phone, send it to my PC, etc etc.
And what will they pull next, becaue it will only take some time before they tell us "for our own secuity" they will not accept other cc processors. Mark my words....
RIki
I wouldn't do the Yapstone thing at all. I just called Webervations and spoke with Andy, to ask very directly if he foresaw Rezovations eventually FORCING everyone to do integrated cc processing in the long run. He said absolutely not.
For my 9 room inn Webervations costs me $99/year, it does everything I need it to and was entirely customizable so it blends in with our website. I like their support and I like the simplicity of their system. We have no need for Property Management Software, we don't do any automated emails, and I don't keep "notes" the way some innkeepers do (if it's something important I will likely remember it for a repeat guest). So just no need/incentive for us to buy bells and whistles that we won't use. If I need to look up a prior guest I just go to Webervations and download my guest data into Excel, and search for the guest by last name. I can see when and which room they stayed in. That's all we need. No reports which some people really like, we just don't have a need for it. I like that it is real time booking (so it takes the requested room out of inventory) but still allows me to individualize the confirmation (many don't, they want to run the deposit and generate an automatic confirmation, I don't want that, I want to be able to check my book before sending a firm confirmation).
Reservation Key did not work for us because while it did allow you to add an Upsale Item or Package, it was always displayed with your availability. We do specialty weekends and I only want the package add-on to be available for specific dates and they can't do that. We also sell many gift certificates, almost exclusively online, and I did not want to have to make the guest go through Paypal for that (I believe it was my asking for a GC function that prompted this solution, it didn't exist at all before then but at the time I asked for it I was just told it wasn't possible).
I went through the entire process of setting our Inn up in ResKey, you can't really tell until you try to use it how it will work for you specifically. John was very helpful initially, but he is a one man show and a practicing attorney I believe as well so support is limited to when he has time. I will say that ResKey seems much more user friendly and small inn friendly than any of the other systems I looked into (Avail Online and Innkeepers Advantage).
Don Draper said:
Thank you very much for your answer
I don't want to do the cell phone thing. We write down the cc info for our tours almost 5 days a week and I think I am somewhat dyslexic or something but there is too much room for human error for me in looking at my cell and writing down the number, especially when it is not necessary that it's done this way. From time to time we miss a digit or something and have to email and call the guest for the correction. I don't want to increase this waste of time.
I can't beleive that all other industries are making small businesses do this. I can't beleve this is not an attempt to gain cc processing business.
I understand why the other did not work for you - my situation is then different as our packages are constant - there is right now only two of us and only a few packages that are standard. The only changes we do and we do it by email is when a guest wants the tour package and the history package both.
Thanks again for your info - it's helped me a lot
RIki
No problem! All this is so darn time consuming, we all just want something easy and that works (and doesn't change every 5 minutes!).

I still haven't gotten an email, I'd like to see how they're presenting this to their existing customers. Luckily it will not affect me, getting a text message is no big deal and the phone actually is more secure than the internet (the reason why medical records can be faxed but not emailed). So I'm glad for the security front (I guess, we'll see how it works out).
At the end of the day you still can't beat Webervations for price and functionality (and service, because that group of folks is still housed in Ohio, away from the giant nightmare arm of Rezovation/BB.com). If that changes, then I'll be moving, but until then it's just not worth the hassle (having tried to do it twice now, and each time being a complete fiasco)..
Don Draper said:
I still haven't gotten an email, I'd like to see how they're presenting this to their existing customers. Luckily it will not affect me, getting a text message is no big deal and the phone actually is more secure than the internet (the reason why medical records can be faxed but not emailed). So I'm glad for the security front (I guess, we'll see how it works out).
At the end of the day you still can't beat Webervations for price and functionality (and service, because that group of folks is still housed in Ohio, away from the giant nightmare arm of Rezovation/BB.com). If that changes, then I'll be moving, but until then it's just not worth the hassle (having tried to do it twice now, and each time being a complete fiasco).
I am hearing that if we don't go through their cc processing we will be paying 20$ more per month. I'm not staying to see what they will pull next.
RIki
I hadn't heard that, still have gotten nothing from them. But even at $20 extra per month, for my 9 rooms, they are much less expensive than any other alternatives I've looked at.
Don Draper said:
I hadn't heard that, still have gotten nothing from them. But even at $20 extra per month, for my 9 rooms, they are much less expensive than any other alternatives I've looked at.
Been looking around myself, so far Reservation Key is in the same ballpark dollar wise but they do so much more than Weberv. for 5-10 rooms it is $18.99 a month and you do get all the guest data. I will be checking with them today to see how they work the data change over. If I recall they help with that.
Dup Post
Don Draper said:
They are not nearly as customizable as Webervations, not integrated GC's (you have to go through Paypal, not sure why) and not ability to limit packages to certain dates which is huge for us.
Trying to convert was a nightmare, you basically have to kiss your old guest info goodbye and start from scratch (if your old data is from Webervations, it will not convert. Not sure about other programs). Plus it is only one person and you saw the issues on here recently when there was an "outage"...no phone number to contact someone.
You are saying Reservation Key goes through Paypal? That I don't like. If that's true you have saved me time. Now I only have three systems to study..
I don't think any of them convert.
Riki
egoodell said:
Don Draper said:
They are not nearly as customizable as Webervations, not integrated GC's (you have to go through Paypal, not sure why) and not ability to limit packages to certain dates which is huge for us.
Trying to convert was a nightmare, you basically have to kiss your old guest info goodbye and start from scratch (if your old data is from Webervations, it will not convert. Not sure about other programs). Plus it is only one person and you saw the issues on here recently when there was an "outage"...no phone number to contact someone.
You are saying Reservation Key goes through Paypal? That I don't like. If that's true you have saved me time. Now I only have three systems to study..
I don't think any of them convert.
Riki
NO, Res Key does not go through Pay Pal. You process just as you are now. If you want the online gift certificates, then you do only the certificates through Pay Pal. I have been the Gift Certificates for several months now and I've sold more with their system than I have during the same time frame in the years past. I think people like it because they get to print it instantly. You receive your Pay Pal money just as quickly as processing and they have a good rate...again, it's JUST for the Gift Certificate.

Hi gang,
With regards to the $19.99 - that applies IF you want to process credit cards in an online, integrated fashion using your current processor (most processors work). The fee is for the gateway fee to your processor. The gateway we are using is from a company called Yapstone - the parent company of Innpayment.
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
You are recommending that we get part of the cc number off Webercations and the rest of it on a cell phone and then have to forward it to the computer or write it down and you think that is less time than entering a password? You have got to be kidding.
I write down the cc info all the time for my tours and it is not something I want to do for my inn, thank you very much.
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
Sorry, let me clarify that. I'm not recommending writing down a credit card number anywhere, ever. Regardless of what you do, I would recommend you end that practice.
My recommendation is the same as it has been for a long, long time and is now common industry best practice - all businesses should be using integrated credit card processing. It is safer, faster, less expensive. Just like most properties couldn't imagine managing their business on a giant paper calendar any longer, it is hard to imagine why managing sensitive information like credit cards on paper makes any sense. That is why we put together great options for processing.
We have provided option #4 if a property for some reason feels they still do not want to process automatically. This assumes that a property is using a stand-alone machine and keys in the credit card for a transaction using part from Webervations, part from SMS. No need to write it down - it should be keyed in while viewing the two parts.

Don Draper said:
This is what I got:

Thank you!
- The Webervations Team

Opps don't know what all that extra stuff is.... Just scroll down to the actual letter "Dear Innkeeper ----"

Note - I as actually trying to stay out of this conversation since I don't use webervations any more. I was asked to comment since I use Reservation Key. I have had only good experiences with it and do recommend it..
Joey Bloggs said:
JB thank you for your input - really helps. One question - when you say "I have to run this PCI compliance scan every month and pay to be compliant," do you mean through Rezkey you are doing this or is there something I don't know about being compliant? I no longer enter the cc info into my operating system so I don't have the info on my computer, but is there something else I should be doing?
RIki
egoodell said:
Joey Bloggs said:
RIki
It has nothing to do with reservations, it is a bank/credit card compliance by just accepting cc's. They will get to you soon if they haven't already.

egoodell wrote: You are recommending that we get part of the cc number off Webercations and the rest of it on a cell phone and then have to forward it to the computer or write it down and you think that is less time than entering a password? You have got to be kidding. .... I write down the cc info all the time for my tours and it is not something I want to do for my inn, thank you very much.
What I am conserned with is that once you write it down (all together) to then key it in your machine, you are taking all the security out of it. The BENEFIT is GONE.

Hi gang,
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
Sorry, let me clarify that. I'm not recommending writing down a credit card number anywhere, ever. Regardless of what you do, I would recommend you end that practice.
My recommendation is the same as it has been for a long, long time and is now common industry best practice - all businesses should be using integrated credit card processing. It is safer, faster, less expensive. Just like most properties couldn't imagine managing their business on a giant paper calendar any longer, it is hard to imagine why managing sensitive information like credit cards on paper makes any sense. That is why we put together great options for processing.
We have provided option #4 if a property for some reason feels they still do not want to process automatically. This assumes that a property is using a stand-alone machine and keys in the credit card for a transaction using part from Webervations, part from SMS. No need to write it down - it should be keyed in while viewing the two parts.
"We have provided option #4 if a property for some reason feels they still do not want to process automatically. This assumes that a property is using a stand-alone machine and keys in the credit card for a transaction using part from Webervations, part from SMS. No need to write it down - it should be keyed in while viewing the two parts."
You don't seem to understand. Many people including me don't do TEXTING on our cell phone. I have an old phone, not a smartphone, I have a cheaper plan. I do not give out my cell phone # only to family. This is for emergencies only. I don't want to be connected to the world by cell phone.
Thats' why people are concerned. This then means, they have to buy a smartphone. And..maybe they live in an area where cell coverage is almost non existent...what do you say to those clients?

Hi gang,
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
"We have provided option #4 if a property for some reason feels they still do not want to process automatically. This assumes that a property is using a stand-alone machine and keys in the credit card for a transaction using part from Webervations, part from SMS. No need to write it down - it should be keyed in while viewing the two parts."
You don't seem to understand. Many people including me don't do TEXTING on our cell phone. I have an old phone, not a smartphone, I have a cheaper plan. I do not give out my cell phone # only to family. This is for emergencies only. I don't want to be connected to the world by cell phone.
Thats' why people are concerned. This then means, they have to buy a smartphone. And..maybe they live in an area where cell coverage is almost non existent...what do you say to those clients?
catlady said:
Please contact support directly and they can give you a couple options that you can use with no cellphone, and with no additional costs.

Hi gang,
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
You don't need a smart phone to receive text messages, just FYI.

Hi gang,
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
Don Draper said:
E.T. Phone Home.
et-phone-home.jpg

Hi gang,
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
Yes I know that. But my phone doesn't have text messaging :)

Check out this video. Getting a Google Account and using Google Voice SMS to Email will work for those who don't want to mess with cell phone.
http://www.youtube.com/googlevoice#p/u/8/Ka3T0RXwIbw

Hi gang,
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
catlady said:
Please contact support directly and they can give you a couple options that you can use with no cellphone, and with no additional costs.
EDITED: Skype or Google Voice. See other post with video link.

We received the e-mail from Webervations a couple of days ago. Reading between the lines, it sounds as if this is an effort to tighten security. Given the sorts of stories we're reading about identity theft and the hacking of credit card numbers, I can certainly understand the pressure that CC companies and companies that store CC information are getting to upgrade their security.
So this is not a surprising turn of events.
We have been using InnPayment/RentPayment since we opened and have found their services to be inexpensive and fast. So to have them integrated into Webervations would actually be a positive development for us.
Of course, the Webervations rep I spoke to today had absolutely no idea how that integration would be accomplished. "You'll be receiving another e-mail about that in the near future," he said.
"Wait a minute," I said. "You are rolling out a new way of doing credit card processing, you have notified your customers of this fact, but you don't yet know how it's going to work?"
"Well," he said, "everybody will initially be enrolled in Option 4."
"That's unacceptable," I said. He was unable to help me further.
I called InnPayment. The swate young thang I talked to told me our customer rep is going to get back to me "either today or Monday."
"Monday's unacceptable. If this new arrangement won't work for us, I want to be able to research alternatives this weekend. I want a call-back today. And tell the rep to telephone me, not send me an e-mail."
So I'm waiting for the call-back. I'm not holding my breath.
Depending on what I hear from our InnPayment rep, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a good thing for us. As long as Webervations doesn't try to skim extra fees from us for this integration or InnPayment raise theirs, then we'll be ahead of the game--as long as Webervations does it properly.
Frankly, the fact that they announced this only a month before they make the change, but clearly haven't worked out the details, doesn't inspire confidence. I'm really big on folks getting their ducks in a row, and the extent of Webervations' duck regimentation seems to be practicing in the bathtub with rubber ones.
Not.happy.making.
BTW: "Yapstone" is the parent company for InnPayment/RentPayment. Webervations clearly has cut a deal with them to make the Luddites happy.
Tom

With InnPayment being an integrated system, does that mean that the reservation will be real-time? Or will the innkeeper still be able to click a button to charge when they want to?

We received the e-mail from Webervations a couple of days ago. Reading between the lines, it sounds as if this is an effort to tighten security. Given the sorts of stories we're reading about identity theft and the hacking of credit card numbers, I can certainly understand the pressure that CC companies and companies that store CC information are getting to upgrade their security.
So this is not a surprising turn of events.
We have been using InnPayment/RentPayment since we opened and have found their services to be inexpensive and fast. So to have them integrated into Webervations would actually be a positive development for us.
Of course, the Webervations rep I spoke to today had absolutely no idea how that integration would be accomplished. "You'll be receiving another e-mail about that in the near future," he said.
"Wait a minute," I said. "You are rolling out a new way of doing credit card processing, you have notified your customers of this fact, but you don't yet know how it's going to work?"
"Well," he said, "everybody will initially be enrolled in Option 4."
"That's unacceptable," I said. He was unable to help me further.
I called InnPayment. The swate young thang I talked to told me our customer rep is going to get back to me "either today or Monday."
"Monday's unacceptable. If this new arrangement won't work for us, I want to be able to research alternatives this weekend. I want a call-back today. And tell the rep to telephone me, not send me an e-mail."
So I'm waiting for the call-back. I'm not holding my breath.
Depending on what I hear from our InnPayment rep, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a good thing for us. As long as Webervations doesn't try to skim extra fees from us for this integration or InnPayment raise theirs, then we'll be ahead of the game--as long as Webervations does it properly.
Frankly, the fact that they announced this only a month before they make the change, but clearly haven't worked out the details, doesn't inspire confidence. I'm really big on folks getting their ducks in a row, and the extent of Webervations' duck regimentation seems to be practicing in the bathtub with rubber ones.
Not.happy.making.
BTW: "Yapstone" is the parent company for InnPayment/RentPayment. Webervations clearly has cut a deal with them to make the Luddites happy.
Tom.
Innpayment will be fully integrated into the product just like Intuit is today. This means that Webervations users will no longer need an expensive stand-alone terminal to process credit cards - it can all be done right through Webervations including swiped or keyed transactions on deposits, final payments, additional charges, etc. The deposit credit card can be held in the system and used again for full payment as well, meaning you do not have to ask the guest for it twice. Customers can sign-up in advance for either Innpayment or Intuit. I will reach out to Innpayment to make sure everyone understands how this is going to work asap.
Reservations will be processed in the same way they have always been - via request. However an innkeeper can set the system up to automatically accept any reservations.

Back