Webervations - A big change - must read

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi gang,
Just wanted to clear-up any confusion here. We could have been more clear in describing option 4. There is no additional fee to use option 4 at all. It will work just like Webervations does now, except that instead of entering the additional information online each time to retrieve a credit card, the card is delivered via SMS automatically. This is a very secure method and should take less time than the old one.
With regards to the $19.99 - that applies IF you want to process credit cards in an online, integrated fashion using your current processor (most processors work). The fee is for the gateway fee to your processor. The gateway we are using is from a company called Yapstone - the parent company of Innpayment.
If you'd like any more details on this, please email me directly..
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
Just wanted to clear-up any confusion here. We could have been more clear in describing option 4. There is no additional fee to use option 4 at all. It will work just like Webervations does now, except that instead of entering the additional information online each time to retrieve a credit card, the card is delivered via SMS automatically. This is a very secure method and should take less time than the old one.
You are recommending that we get part of the cc number off Webercations and the rest of it on a cell phone and then have to forward it to the computer or write it down and you think that is less time than entering a password? You have got to be kidding.
I write down the cc info all the time for my tours and it is not something I want to do for my inn, thank you very much.
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
You are recommending that we get part of the cc number off Webercations and the rest of it on a cell phone and then have to forward it to the computer or write it down and you think that is less time than entering a password? You have got to be kidding.
I write down the cc info all the time for my tours and it is not something I want to do for my inn, thank you very much.
RIki
Sorry, let me clarify that. I'm not recommending writing down a credit card number anywhere, ever. Regardless of what you do, I would recommend you end that practice.
My recommendation is the same as it has been for a long, long time and is now common industry best practice - all businesses should be using integrated credit card processing. It is safer, faster, less expensive. Just like most properties couldn't imagine managing their business on a giant paper calendar any longer, it is hard to imagine why managing sensitive information like credit cards on paper makes any sense. That is why we put together great options for processing.
We have provided option #4 if a property for some reason feels they still do not want to process automatically. This assumes that a property is using a stand-alone machine and keys in the credit card for a transaction using part from Webervations, part from SMS. No need to write it down - it should be keyed in while viewing the two parts.
"We have provided option #4 if a property for some reason feels they still do not want to process automatically. This assumes that a property is using a stand-alone machine and keys in the credit card for a transaction using part from Webervations, part from SMS. No need to write it down - it should be keyed in while viewing the two parts."
You don't seem to understand. Many people including me don't do TEXTING on our cell phone. I have an old phone, not a smartphone, I have a cheaper plan. I do not give out my cell phone # only to family. This is for emergencies only. I don't want to be connected to the world by cell phone.
Thats' why people are concerned. This then means, they have to buy a smartphone. And..maybe they live in an area where cell coverage is almost non existent...what do you say to those clients?
catlady said:
"We have provided option #4 if a property for some reason feels they still do not want to process automatically. This assumes that a property is using a stand-alone machine and keys in the credit card for a transaction using part from Webervations, part from SMS. No need to write it down - it should be keyed in while viewing the two parts."
You don't seem to understand. Many people including me don't do TEXTING on our cell phone. I have an old phone, not a smartphone, I have a cheaper plan. I do not give out my cell phone # only to family. This is for emergencies only. I don't want to be connected to the world by cell phone.
Thats' why people are concerned. This then means, they have to buy a smartphone. And..maybe they live in an area where cell coverage is almost non existent...what do you say to those clients?
Please contact support directly and they can give you a couple options that you can use with no cellphone, and with no additional costs.
So will the text messages (or alt) have the name of the guest or something else to match the right # with the right guest?
Asking this as one that would request the data for all reservations for one day at the same time. (individually requested and recieved is understood)

Hi gang,
With regards to the $19.99 - that applies IF you want to process credit cards in an online, integrated fashion using your current processor (most processors work). The fee is for the gateway fee to your processor. The gateway we are using is from a company called Yapstone - the parent company of Innpayment.
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
Sorry, let me clarify that. I'm not recommending writing down a credit card number anywhere, ever. Regardless of what you do, I would recommend you end that practice.
My recommendation is the same as it has been for a long, long time and is now common industry best practice - all businesses should be using integrated credit card processing. It is safer, faster, less expensive. Just like most properties couldn't imagine managing their business on a giant paper calendar any longer, it is hard to imagine why managing sensitive information like credit cards on paper makes any sense. That is why we put together great options for processing.
We have provided option #4 if a property for some reason feels they still do not want to process automatically. This assumes that a property is using a stand-alone machine and keys in the credit card for a transaction using part from Webervations, part from SMS. No need to write it down - it should be keyed in while viewing the two parts.
catlady said:
Please contact support directly and they can give you a couple options that you can use with no cellphone, and with no additional costs.
JBanczak said:
catlady said:
n
and what do we do if we are traveling - out of the country? I don't know that my cell phone would work then - we are taking a cruise this December and will have innsitters but handle the bookings ourselves. What are we going to do then????
I'm changing.
Riki

Rezkey - I have not looked into the GC scenario because 1) we never DID sell them online with webers, only over the phone. It WAS set up via paypal, but I do not use paypal, rezkey IF YOU DID use paypal was a great prgm that way, automatically taking the deposit etc for you. But we process cards here at the B&B via a swipecc processor.
I believe it had been adjusted as Don was very adamant about it, so I will have to allow BD to answer, I think there was a thread on it a while back.
My whole thing is this - I have to run this PCI compliance scan every month and pay to be compliant, I don't want any cc infor emailed to me in any form or fashion, I want to go to the online reservation system and have it there only. Whether this or that is more secure or another I do not know, I can only speak for myself and say I am compliant.
Note - I as actually trying to stay out of this conversation since I don't use webervations any more. I was asked to comment since I use Reservation Key. I have had only good experiences with it and do recommend it..
Joey Bloggs said:
My whole thing is this - I have to run this PCI compliance scan every month and pay to be compliant, I don't want any cc infor emailed to me in any form or fashion, I want to go to the online reservation system and have it there only. Whether this or that is more secure or another I do not know, I can only speak for myself and say I am compliant.
Note - I as actually trying to stay out of this conversation since I don't use webervations any more. I was asked to comment since I use Reservation Key. I have had only good experiences with it and do recommend it.
JB thank you for your input - really helps. One question - when you say "I have to run this PCI compliance scan every month and pay to be compliant," do you mean through Rezkey you are doing this or is there something I don't know about being compliant? I no longer enter the cc info into my operating system so I don't have the info on my computer, but is there something else I should be doing?
RIki
egoodell said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Note - I as actually trying to stay out of this conversation since I don't use webervations any more. I was asked to comment since I use Reservation Key. I have had only good experiences with it and do recommend it.
JB thank you for your input - really helps. One question - when you say "I have to run this PCI compliance scan every month and pay to be compliant," do you mean through Rezkey you are doing this or is there something I don't know about being compliant? I no longer enter the cc info into my operating system so I don't have the info on my computer, but is there something else I should be doing?
RIki
It has nothing to do with reservations, it is a bank/credit card compliance by just accepting cc's. They will get to you soon if they haven't already.
Joey Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
Joey Bloggs said:
RIki
It has nothing to do with reservations, it is a bank/credit card compliance by just accepting cc's. They will get to you soon if they haven't already.
Can you tell me what I do or where i go to get this so I can be already in compliance when they do get to me?
Riki

Hi gang,
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
JBanczak said:
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
So when my guest pays me in my van when I drop them off, you want me to spend $700 for a machine to swipe their card if I am in an area that has cell service, which some of my pickup B&B locations are not in? How do I process those payments without writing the number down? We write it down, go home, enter the payment and shred the document. If you know of a better way I'd love to hear it.
You don't want me to record the number that is texted to my phone? then what would you like me to do? Change my processor to yours probably.
I'd rather change my reservation system. I don't know what you're going to pull next.
riki

We received the e-mail from Webervations a couple of days ago. Reading between the lines, it sounds as if this is an effort to tighten security. Given the sorts of stories we're reading about identity theft and the hacking of credit card numbers, I can certainly understand the pressure that CC companies and companies that store CC information are getting to upgrade their security.
So this is not a surprising turn of events.
We have been using InnPayment/RentPayment since we opened and have found their services to be inexpensive and fast. So to have them integrated into Webervations would actually be a positive development for us.
Of course, the Webervations rep I spoke to today had absolutely no idea how that integration would be accomplished. "You'll be receiving another e-mail about that in the near future," he said.
"Wait a minute," I said. "You are rolling out a new way of doing credit card processing, you have notified your customers of this fact, but you don't yet know how it's going to work?"
"Well," he said, "everybody will initially be enrolled in Option 4."
"That's unacceptable," I said. He was unable to help me further.
I called InnPayment. The swate young thang I talked to told me our customer rep is going to get back to me "either today or Monday."
"Monday's unacceptable. If this new arrangement won't work for us, I want to be able to research alternatives this weekend. I want a call-back today. And tell the rep to telephone me, not send me an e-mail."
So I'm waiting for the call-back. I'm not holding my breath.
Depending on what I hear from our InnPayment rep, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a good thing for us. As long as Webervations doesn't try to skim extra fees from us for this integration or InnPayment raise theirs, then we'll be ahead of the game--as long as Webervations does it properly.
Frankly, the fact that they announced this only a month before they make the change, but clearly haven't worked out the details, doesn't inspire confidence. I'm really big on folks getting their ducks in a row, and the extent of Webervations' duck regimentation seems to be practicing in the bathtub with rubber ones.
Not.happy.making.
BTW: "Yapstone" is the parent company for InnPayment/RentPayment. Webervations clearly has cut a deal with them to make the Luddites happy.
Tom.
Innpayment will be fully integrated into the product just like Intuit is today. This means that Webervations users will no longer need an expensive stand-alone terminal to process credit cards - it can all be done right through Webervations including swiped or keyed transactions on deposits, final payments, additional charges, etc. The deposit credit card can be held in the system and used again for full payment as well, meaning you do not have to ask the guest for it twice. Customers can sign-up in advance for either Innpayment or Intuit. I will reach out to Innpayment to make sure everyone understands how this is going to work asap.
Reservations will be processed in the same way they have always been - via request. However an innkeeper can set the system up to automatically accept any reservations.
I've been quiet, because I'm not on Webervations, but just to be clear about this...
Except of course, for innkeepers elsewhere in the world... who need to process in other currencies, like the Canadian dollar.... and of course, it cannot process EMV transactions, not now, not in the future, which means that the merchant isn't protected at all from chargebacks.

Hi gang,
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
JBanczak said:
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
So when my guest pays me in my van when I drop them off, you want me to spend $700 for a machine to swipe their card if I am in an area that has cell service, which some of my pickup B&B locations are not in? How do I process those payments without writing the number down? We write it down, go home, enter the payment and shred the document. If you know of a better way I'd love to hear it.
You don't want me to record the number that is texted to my phone? then what would you like me to do? Change my processor to yours probably.
I'd rather change my reservation system. I don't know what you're going to pull next.
riki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
riki
That is exactly what he'd like you to do (change your processor to his so he can get the kickback from the processor). It's not a secret, banks do it too, but it's just the shadiness factor...as I said before, the minute Webervations is no longer its own entity I will be gone.

Hi gang,
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
catlady said:
JBanczak said:
catlady said:
n
and what do we do if we are traveling - out of the country? I don't know that my cell phone would work then - we are taking a cruise this December and will have innsitters but handle the bookings ourselves. What are we going to do then????
I'm changing.
Riki
If you use GOOGLE VOICE, you can have the messages sent to GOOGLE MAIL, then you can just check them with your laptop or any other computer. YOu need to go in and read About Google Voice, to me this sounds like a reasonably easy solution. Google Voice works with any phone. You just set it up so that sms message goes to GOOGLE MAIL
For those of you who want to try this, I just set up my own account. Here is step by step how I did it.
You must have a Google Account or set one up before you can do this.

1. Log with your account to GOOGLE VOICE

2. Choose I want a new number ( Your Mobile PHone number is the other choice)

3. Put in ZIPCODE / click search

4. A list of available numbers will appear.

5. Click on a number, hit continue

6. enter pin number and confirm

7. Add a forwarding phone that will ring when your Google Voice number is called. You can add more forwarding phones later.

8. Select which phone it is. Hit Continue

9. We're going to call you at (xxx)xxx-xxxx to verify your phone. Click Call me now below and enter the verification code

10. Click CALL ME NOW

11. They will call you, ask for your code, then proceed with set up and create your greeting.

12. You will receive a message from google.

13. To forward text messages to your email account: click on the little Wheel in the upper right hand corner of the screen and choose Voice Settings.

14. Click the VOICE MAIL / TEXT tab.

15. Under Voicemail Notifications Alert me when I have new voicemails, you can check and apply which ever fits best for you.
Email the message to: Add a new email address

Send a text (SMS) message to: Add a new mobile phone
Check this box to forward text message to your gmail account:

Text Forwarding
Forward text messages to my email: [email protected]

16. CLICK SAVE CHANGES.

Calls are free except for international ones.
>^..^<
EDITED: I just had my nephew text me a message and came to my gmail account just fine :) gee I may actully get into this.
One Caution: my friend had a problem, and set up the LITE version instead. DON'T DO THAT!!! It won't work!

We received the e-mail from Webervations a couple of days ago. Reading between the lines, it sounds as if this is an effort to tighten security. Given the sorts of stories we're reading about identity theft and the hacking of credit card numbers, I can certainly understand the pressure that CC companies and companies that store CC information are getting to upgrade their security.
We have been using InnPayment/RentPayment since we opened and have found their services to be inexpensive and fast. So to have them integrated into Webervations would actually be a positive development for us.
Of course, the Webervations rep I spoke to today had absolutely no idea how that integration would be accomplished. "You'll be receiving another e-mail about that in the near future," he said.
"Wait a minute," I said. "You are rolling out a new way of doing credit card processing, you have notified your customers of this fact, but you don't yet know how it's going to work?"
I called InnPayment. The swate young thang I talked to told me our customer rep is going to get back to me "either today or Monday."
"Monday's unacceptable. If this new arrangement won't work for us, I want to be able to research alternatives this weekend. I want a call-back today. And tell the rep to telephone me, not send me an e-mail."
Depending on what I hear from our InnPayment rep, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a good thing for us. As long as Webervations doesn't try to skim extra fees from us for this integration or InnPayment raise theirs, then we'll be ahead of the game--as long as Webervations does it properly.
Frankly, the fact that they announced this only a month before they make the change, but clearly haven't worked out the details, doesn't inspire confidence. I'm really big on folks getting their ducks in a row, and the extent of Webervations' duck regimentation seems to be practicing in the bathtub with rubber ones.
Not.happy.making.
BTW: "Yapstone" is the parent company for InnPayment/RentPayment. Webervations clearly has cut a deal with them to make the Luddites happy.
Tom.
Innpayment will be fully integrated into the product just like Intuit is today. This means that Webervations users will no longer need an expensive stand-alone terminal to process credit cards - it can all be done right through Webervations including swiped or keyed transactions on deposits, final payments, additional charges, etc. The deposit credit card can be held in the system and used again for full payment as well, meaning you do not have to ask the guest for it twice. Customers can sign-up in advance for either Innpayment or Intuit. I will reach out to Innpayment to make sure everyone understands how this is going to work asap.
Reservations will be processed in the same way they have always been - via request. However an innkeeper can set the system up to automatically accept any reservations.
Guess what, John? Contrary to your assertion, Intuit is not fully integrated with "the product"--I assume you mean Webervations. We're Mac-based, and it has been impossible to get it to work on our system with QuickBooks. Don't think we haven't tried!
If this is your idea of "integration" with InnPayment, then Houston, we have a problem.
I'm glad to hear that Innpayment will be fully integrated into "the product." But we have never used "an expensive stand-alone terminal to process credit cards...." We have always used their web-based system.
My two big questions--neither of which you have addressed--is if you or InnPayment are going to charge us more for this whizz-bang integration, and when this is going to happen? Your phone reps couldn't answer either question! And you are planning this conversion to happen in a month!
We have been very happy with Webervations and InnPayment, but I must admit that the cavalier way you are going about this conversion, given the paucity of communication with your customers (i.e., ME), makes me wonder if we want to continue to do business with you.
Customer relations don't seem to be your strong suit, John. Give me reasons why (other than inertia) we should continue to be your customer.
Tom

Not.happy.making.
Tom.
Guess what, John? Contrary to your assertion, Intuit is not fully integrated with "the product"--I assume you mean Webervations. We're Mac-based, and it has been impossible to get it to work on our system with QuickBooks. Don't think we haven't tried!
If this is your idea of "integration" with InnPayment, then Houston, we have a problem.
I'm glad to hear that Innpayment will be fully integrated into "the product." But we have never used "an expensive stand-alone terminal to process credit cards...." We have always used their web-based system.
My two big questions--neither of which you have addressed--is if you or InnPayment are going to charge us more for this whizz-bang integration, and when this is going to happen? Your phone reps couldn't answer either question! And you are planning this conversion to happen in a month!
We have been very happy with Webervations and InnPayment, but I must admit that the cavalier way you are going about this conversion, given the paucity of communication with your customers (i.e., ME), makes me wonder if we want to continue to do business with you.
Customer relations don't seem to be your strong suit, John. Give me reasons why (other than inertia) we should continue to be your customer.
Tom
Thank you! Great questions that will hopefully be answered...and I STILL have not gotten the email from them...so good thing I am here or I'd be completely out of the loop.

Okay I'm studying the reservation systems out there and am looking at Availabiltiy Online and Reservation Key at this point and they both look good - is anyone on Availabillity? I know you all like Reservaton Key but I'm concerned with the fact that it's a small operation. I think I like the looks of Availability better but need to study more. They are the same price roughly.
I know some use Innkeepers Advantage but they sound like a website and reservation system combined. They ask for a $995 setup fee that I don't like.
Riki

Okay I'm studying the reservation systems out there and am looking at Availabiltiy Online and Reservation Key at this point and they both look good - is anyone on Availabillity? I know you all like Reservaton Key but I'm concerned with the fact that it's a small operation. I think I like the looks of Availability better but need to study more. They are the same price roughly.
I know some use Innkeepers Advantage but they sound like a website and reservation system combined. They ask for a $995 setup fee that I don't like.
Riki.
Availabiltiy Online looks alot like Web er va tions. Under VA Inns, it has listing for an inn that I believe is not using it....strange. Not many in VA for sure.
Innkeepers Advantage must be so high because it is an all in one package. WEB SITE, HOSTING, Guest Management etc. I did not read where you could just get the availability by itself.

Riki.
Availabiltiy Online looks alot like Web er va tions. Under VA Inns, it has listing for an inn that I believe is not using it....strange. Not many in VA for sure.
Innkeepers Advantage must be so high because it is an all in one package. WEB SITE, HOSTING, Guest Management etc. I did not read where you could just get the availability by itself.
catlady said:
That's what I see with Advantage. I know others who like it but I don't need a website.
Yes I am liking Availability. Unlimited assistance with a toll free number. It does not have many VA inns, but a lot of California, NY, and other states. I like the look of the layout too. There are several on PAII that recommend it, and my web host who has a rental cabin is considering it and I really respect his opinion. Some are waiting to swtich to see if they can do automatic room removal rather than only working by reservation request. But we need the reservation request.
I like that for the guest is is FAR less confusing than Webervations. I am tired of walking people through the booking system. This one looks super clean and simple with space for my packages.
RIki

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
HEY! WAIT!
I put in avail online in google to have a look Riki, and what the, I clicked all the MEMBERS and saw the worse looking availability pages EVER. They all have some fuzzy weird photo of the inn, what is that all about...
I thought, wonder if I know any in OUR STATE... WHY IS MY INN ON THERE!! We are not nor have we ever used this reservation system!
here are the real user examples on reskey

Riki.
Heck, our old (closed) B&B is listed.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
HEY! WAIT!
I put in avail online in google to have a look Riki, and what the, I clicked all the MEMBERS and saw the worse looking availability pages EVER. They all have some fuzzy weird photo of the inn, what is that all about...
I thought, wonder if I know any in OUR STATE... WHY IS MY INN ON THERE!! We are not nor have we ever used this reservation system!
Joey Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
Riki
HEY! WAIT!
They let the innkeepers design the reservation pages,. so yes, some of them are terrible!

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
HEY! WAIT!
I thought, wonder if I know any in OUR STATE... WHY IS MY INN ON THERE!
See that is why I commented. I knew you didn't use them. So wonder what it up with that? I would email them and tell them to remove your listing there.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
HEY! WAIT!
See that is why I commented. I knew you didn't use them. So wonder what it up with that? I would email them and tell them to remove your listing there.
catlady said:
The only thing I can think of is the former owners maybe used them at one time as they are one of the oldest online booking companies I have been told. I am liking their system a lot. Plus they are located minutes from Chris's home town in Vermont. If anything happens like what happened with Res Key my mother in law can go over and ask them what's what! Seriously, they have great support.
RIki

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
HEY! WAIT!
catlady said:
The only thing I can think of is the former owners maybe used them at one time as they are one of the oldest online booking companies I have been told. I am liking their system a lot. Plus they are located minutes from Chris's home town in Vermont. If anything happens like what happened with Res Key my mother in law can go over and ask them what's what! Seriously, they have great support.
RIki
Riki,
Can you tell yet if they have "real time" bookings like Webervations does now (the guest puts in the reservation request and Webervations automatically takes that room out of inventory until you confirm or deny the request)?
To me it looks very much like Webervations, and I like that it is simple because I do not want/need the management software piece.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
HEY! WAIT!
catlady said:
RIki
Riki,
Can you tell yet if they have "real time" bookings like Webervations does now (the guest puts in the reservation request and Webervations automatically takes that room out of inventory until you confirm or deny the request)?
To me it looks very much like Webervations, and I like that it is simple because I do not want/need the management software piece.
Don Draper said:
Riki,
I don't know if they have real time yet. I know a couple of innkeepers are asking them about it. I thought I saw a post on PAII from an innkeeper that said the rooms were automatically removed but I am not sure. If you email them they respond quickly. I emailed three booking sites questions over the weekend and the are the only ones who have responded yet this morning at 8:30am.
I have an old management system that they do not link to for the cc info, but that is not a problem as for people like me the reservation email will have a link that I can click on and give password info to get it. They do link to about 10 diferent management systems - mine is just too old.
RIki

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
HEY! WAIT!
catlady said:
RIki
egoodell said:
catlady said:
The only thing I can think of is the former owners maybe used them at one time as they are one of the oldest online booking companies I have been told. I am liking their system a lot.
RIki
Ha ha! Too funny. No, PO's here had no online reservations, they used index cards. That is from MY website, and my OLD color scheme, so I could tell you about the time they took the info.
Great support lifting my info and acting like I am a member? huh

Back