Webervations - A big change - must read

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I'm studying the reservation systems out there and am looking at Availabiltiy Online and Reservation Key at this point and they both look good - is anyone on Availabillity? I know you all like Reservaton Key but I'm concerned with the fact that it's a small operation. I think I like the looks of Availability better but need to study more. They are the same price roughly.
I know some use Innkeepers Advantage but they sound like a website and reservation system combined. They ask for a $995 setup fee that I don't like.
Riki.
egoodell said:
Okay I'm studying the reservation systems out there and am looking at Availabiltiy Online and Reservation Key at this point and they both look good - is anyone on Availabillity? I know you all like Reservaton Key but I'm concerned with the fact that it's a small operation. I think I like the looks of Availability better but need to study more. They are the same price roughly.
I know some use Innkeepers Advantage but they sound like a website and reservation system combined. They ask for a $995 setup fee that I don't like.
Riki
HEY! WAIT!
I put in avail online in google to have a look Riki, and what the, I clicked all the MEMBERS and saw the worse looking availability pages EVER. They all have some fuzzy weird photo of the inn, what is that all about...
I thought, wonder if I know any in OUR STATE... WHY IS MY INN ON THERE!! We are not nor have we ever used this reservation system!
here are the real user examples on reskey
I thought, wonder if I know any in OUR STATE... WHY IS MY INN ON THERE!
See that is why I commented. I knew you didn't use them. So wonder what it up with that? I would email them and tell them to remove your listing there.
catlady said:
See that is why I commented. I knew you didn't use them. So wonder what it up with that? I would email them and tell them to remove your listing there.
The only thing I can think of is the former owners maybe used them at one time as they are one of the oldest online booking companies I have been told. I am liking their system a lot. Plus they are located minutes from Chris's home town in Vermont. If anything happens like what happened with Res Key my mother in law can go over and ask them what's what! Seriously, they have great support.
RIki
egoodell said:
catlady said:
The only thing I can think of is the former owners maybe used them at one time as they are one of the oldest online booking companies I have been told. I am liking their system a lot.
RIki
Ha ha! Too funny. No, PO's here had no online reservations, they used index cards. That is from MY website, and my OLD color scheme, so I could tell you about the time they took the info.
Great support lifting my info and acting like I am a member? huh
Joey Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
catlady said:
The only thing I can think of is the former owners maybe used them at one time as they are one of the oldest online booking companies I have been told. I am liking their system a lot.
RIki
Ha ha! Too funny. No, PO's here had no online reservations, they used index cards. That is from MY website, and my OLD color scheme, so I could tell you about the time they took the info.
Have you emailed them to ask why you're on that list??
RIki

Okay, now I see that none of the reservation systems works with my old management software, InnReserve.
Can you all tell me which management software you recommend for a small inn?
Here I go again, researching...
DD they say
[COLOR= rgb(44, 30, 43)]Updating your Availability Online calendar can be made less time consuming with automatic uploads from your room management software. With a click of a button in your software your entire property's vacancy (some of the below vendors have the ability to send room rates and min. night stay requirements as well) will instantly appear on your Availability Online availability calendar. We currently support automatic uploads from the following software vendors:[/COLOR]

So it could be that the reservation is a request but it can automatically update your system - I'm not sure
Reservation Request Downloads: Your Availability Online reservation requests can be automatically downloaded and inserted directly- per your approval, into your reservation management software. This saves you and your staff precious time from re-typing your guest's reservation and credit card information. Currently Availability Online reservation downloads are supported by the following software vendors:

Is Innovation owned by the same company that owns Webervations? I'm not interested if that is the case.
Anyone use any of these systems?
RIki

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
HEY! WAIT!
I put in avail online in google to have a look Riki, and what the, I clicked all the MEMBERS and saw the worse looking availability pages EVER. They all have some fuzzy weird photo of the inn, what is that all about...
I thought, wonder if I know any in OUR STATE... WHY IS MY INN ON THERE!! We are not nor have we ever used this reservation system!
catlady said:
The only thing I can think of is the former owners maybe used them at one time as they are one of the oldest online booking companies I have been told. I am liking their system a lot. Plus they are located minutes from Chris's home town in Vermont. If anything happens like what happened with Res Key my mother in law can go over and ask them what's what! Seriously, they have great support.
RIki
Riki,
Can you tell yet if they have "real time" bookings like Webervations does now (the guest puts in the reservation request and Webervations automatically takes that room out of inventory until you confirm or deny the request)?
To me it looks very much like Webervations, and I like that it is simple because I do not want/need the management software piece.
Don Draper said:
Riki,
Can you tell yet if they have "real time" bookings like Webervations does now (the guest puts in the reservation request and Webervations automatically takes that room out of inventory until you confirm or deny the request)?
To me it looks very much like Webervations, and I like that it is simple because I do not want/need the management software piece.
I don't know if they have real time yet. I know a couple of innkeepers are asking them about it. I thought I saw a post on PAII from an innkeeper that said the rooms were automatically removed but I am not sure. If you email them they respond quickly. I emailed three booking sites questions over the weekend and the are the only ones who have responded yet this morning at 8:30am.
I have an old management system that they do not link to for the cc info, but that is not a problem as for people like me the reservation email will have a link that I can click on and give password info to get it. They do link to about 10 diferent management systems - mine is just too old.
RIki
Thanks for the info. Based on having gone through trying to change twice before, I am going to stick with Webervations for now and I'll report back after September how the new retrieval system for cc's is working.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
HEY! WAIT!
catlady said:
RIki
egoodell said:
catlady said:
RIki
Joey Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
catlady said:
RIki
RIki
egoodell said:
Joey Bloggs said:
egoodell said:
catlady said:
RIki
RIki
Sheesh I DID NOW!
jeepers people, I just SAW I WAS ON THERE, I emailed and asked to be removed, this has nothing to do with me, I am not in webers, juist letting you know I was there, and not by choice.

Okay, now I see that none of the reservation systems works with my old management software, InnReserve.
DD they say
[COLOR= rgb(44, 30, 43)]Updating your Availability Online calendar can be made less time consuming with automatic uploads from your room management software. With a click of a button in your software your entire property's vacancy (some of the below vendors have the ability to send room rates and min. night stay requirements as well) will instantly appear on your Availability Online availability calendar. We currently support automatic uploads from the following software vendors:[/COLOR]

So it could be that the reservation is a request but it can automatically update your system - I'm not sure
Reservation Request Downloads: Your Availability Online reservation requests can be automatically downloaded and inserted directly- per your approval, into your reservation management software. This saves you and your staff precious time from re-typing your guest's reservation and credit card information. Currently Availability Online reservation downloads are supported by the following software vendors:

Is Innovation owned by the same company that owns Webervations? I'm not interested if that is the case.
RIki.
Riki, I would suggest you look at the programs that contain it's own GMS. With the way the industry and products are changing, I think it's best to streamline by using only 1 program. After using RezOvation and Webervations for years where I had to sync them together, I really like now having just 1 program to deal with.
I wish ReKey had a few more options for me such as being able to track special occasions. Since you do the tours, try to get the one that's the easiest for booking and keeping track of both rooms and tours/packages.

DD they say

RIki.
Riki, I would suggest you look at the programs that contain it's own GMS. With the way the industry and products are changing, I think it's best to streamline by using only 1 program. After using RezOvation and Webervations for years where I had to sync them together, I really like now having just 1 program to deal with.
I wish ReKey had a few more options for me such as being able to track special occasions. Since you do the tours, try to get the one that's the easiest for booking and keeping track of both rooms and tours/packages.
Breakfast Diva said:
I'll consider it... but most of them are like Resnexus and cost per month what I can get B&B manager and Availability online for. I'm such a small operation I will never use all the bells and whistles that they offer. I just need something super basic. And something that our innsitters can easily use.
What I probably need to do is to just continue to input the guests by hand until I can afford something that does both management and reservations. I just want to get rid of Webervations now.
RIki

Hi gang,
Just wanted to clear-up any confusion here. We could have been more clear in describing option 4. There is no additional fee to use option 4 at all. It will work just like Webervations does now, except that instead of entering the additional information online each time to retrieve a credit card, the card is delivered via SMS automatically. This is a very secure method and should take less time than the old one.
With regards to the $19.99 - that applies IF you want to process credit cards in an online, integrated fashion using your current processor (most processors work). The fee is for the gateway fee to your processor. The gateway we are using is from a company called Yapstone - the parent company of Innpayment.
If you'd like any more details on this, please email me directly..
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
Just wanted to clear-up any confusion here. We could have been more clear in describing option 4. There is no additional fee to use option 4 at all. It will work just like Webervations does now, except that instead of entering the additional information online each time to retrieve a credit card, the card is delivered via SMS automatically. This is a very secure method and should take less time than the old one.
You are recommending that we get part of the cc number off Webercations and the rest of it on a cell phone and then have to forward it to the computer or write it down and you think that is less time than entering a password? You have got to be kidding.
I write down the cc info all the time for my tours and it is not something I want to do for my inn, thank you very much.
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
You are recommending that we get part of the cc number off Webercations and the rest of it on a cell phone and then have to forward it to the computer or write it down and you think that is less time than entering a password? You have got to be kidding.
I write down the cc info all the time for my tours and it is not something I want to do for my inn, thank you very much.
RIki
Sorry, let me clarify that. I'm not recommending writing down a credit card number anywhere, ever. Regardless of what you do, I would recommend you end that practice.
My recommendation is the same as it has been for a long, long time and is now common industry best practice - all businesses should be using integrated credit card processing. It is safer, faster, less expensive. Just like most properties couldn't imagine managing their business on a giant paper calendar any longer, it is hard to imagine why managing sensitive information like credit cards on paper makes any sense. That is why we put together great options for processing.
We have provided option #4 if a property for some reason feels they still do not want to process automatically. This assumes that a property is using a stand-alone machine and keys in the credit card for a transaction using part from Webervations, part from SMS. No need to write it down - it should be keyed in while viewing the two parts.
"We have provided option #4 if a property for some reason feels they still do not want to process automatically. This assumes that a property is using a stand-alone machine and keys in the credit card for a transaction using part from Webervations, part from SMS. No need to write it down - it should be keyed in while viewing the two parts."
You don't seem to understand. Many people including me don't do TEXTING on our cell phone. I have an old phone, not a smartphone, I have a cheaper plan. I do not give out my cell phone # only to family. This is for emergencies only. I don't want to be connected to the world by cell phone.
Thats' why people are concerned. This then means, they have to buy a smartphone. And..maybe they live in an area where cell coverage is almost non existent...what do you say to those clients?
catlady said:
"We have provided option #4 if a property for some reason feels they still do not want to process automatically. This assumes that a property is using a stand-alone machine and keys in the credit card for a transaction using part from Webervations, part from SMS. No need to write it down - it should be keyed in while viewing the two parts."
You don't seem to understand. Many people including me don't do TEXTING on our cell phone. I have an old phone, not a smartphone, I have a cheaper plan. I do not give out my cell phone # only to family. This is for emergencies only. I don't want to be connected to the world by cell phone.
Thats' why people are concerned. This then means, they have to buy a smartphone. And..maybe they live in an area where cell coverage is almost non existent...what do you say to those clients?
Please contact support directly and they can give you a couple options that you can use with no cellphone, and with no additional costs.
JBanczak said:
catlady said:
Please contact support directly and they can give you a couple options that you can use with no cellphone, and with no additional costs.
I did and this is the response I received:
We are looking into another method to receive card data that is not SMS text but at this time it would only be SMS text to a mobile device.However, we have long believed that the most efficient way to handle credit cards is to work through an integrated payment platform. Now is the best time to change your process to save time, and money with great processing rates. We recommend that customers use a system like the integrated InnPayment processing. You'll be using one of the most efficient systems available.

Hi gang,
With regards to the $19.99 - that applies IF you want to process credit cards in an online, integrated fashion using your current processor (most processors work). The fee is for the gateway fee to your processor. The gateway we are using is from a company called Yapstone - the parent company of Innpayment.
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
Sorry, let me clarify that. I'm not recommending writing down a credit card number anywhere, ever. Regardless of what you do, I would recommend you end that practice.
My recommendation is the same as it has been for a long, long time and is now common industry best practice - all businesses should be using integrated credit card processing. It is safer, faster, less expensive. Just like most properties couldn't imagine managing their business on a giant paper calendar any longer, it is hard to imagine why managing sensitive information like credit cards on paper makes any sense. That is why we put together great options for processing.
We have provided option #4 if a property for some reason feels they still do not want to process automatically. This assumes that a property is using a stand-alone machine and keys in the credit card for a transaction using part from Webervations, part from SMS. No need to write it down - it should be keyed in while viewing the two parts.
catlady said:
JBanczak said:
catlady said:
We are looking into another method to receive card data that is not SMS text but at this time it would only be SMS text to a mobile device.However, we have long believed that the most efficient way to handle credit cards is to work through an integrated payment platform. Now is the best time to change your process to save time, and money with great processing rates. We recommend that customers use a system like the integrated InnPayment processing. You'll be using one of the most efficient systems available.
Yes, efficient for whom? Just be so very careful with your personal info (passwords especially). We had a really terrible experience and would never do integrated payments again.

Hi gang,
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
catlady said:
JBanczak said:
catlady said:
I still think the google voice is a good option. Once you get the message with cc info, run the card and then delete the message.

I *finally* got through to an InnPayment rep today, and he was appalled that Webervations/ResOvation was planning a changeover in a month. "They missed a meeting with us today," he told me. "I don't know what they're planning."
Great feeling of comfort here. We're in bed with both these companies, and they don't seem to be in bed with each other, notwithstanding the Webervations e-mail.
If I had been this alarmed on Friday, I would have spent the weekend looking for new vendors. But it's Monday, and I have a dozen rooms to clean before folks start showing up again.
Webervations has blotted their copybook with me. I don't like being told that there is going to be an imminent (under a month warning) significant changeover; then when I inquire, nobody knows what that will entail.
Besides that, their interface sucks.
The fact that the CEO of the company, Mr. JBanczak, is replying to this thread is even more worrisome, because he doesn't seem to know what's going on, either.
Unbelievable.
Presumably, they will get it all sorted out, but I gotta tell you, when vendors start to act clueless but still want rather a lot of money from me, any loyalty they might have built up is rapidly draining away.
Tom

Hi gang,
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
catlady said:
JBanczak said:
catlady said:
Proud Texan said:
If this doesn't tell you enough, I don't know what will... they want to be more in your pockets PERIOD! PCI is what they want you to believe!!!

I use Webervations and Innpayment and neither one could give me an answer what or if I need to do anything. (And it was going so good)...

I may be changing to Rez Key. They can use Authorization Net which is already an offshoot of the credit card processing company I'm already using.
We've all been waiting a long time for Webervations come across with promised improvements that have never materialized. Now they're pulling this crap and forcing us to go with the credit card processors of their choice or use the most half-assed method of getting a credit card number I've ever heard of.
The only good thing about Webervations is that they were relatively cheap. Since that will no longer be the case, there's not much reason to stick with them.
Webervations, you should be striving for excellence....not pulling this crap.

Hi gang,
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
egoodell said:
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
RIki
catlady said:
JBanczak said:
catlady said:
I still think the google voice is a good option. Once you get the message with cc info, run the card and then delete the message.
catlady said:
Nope. I don't want a two step two company situation just to get my cc info just to keep Webervations. I want to get rid of them, period. Many on PAII are very happy with Availability Online, and their setup is more clear for guests. I don't have to sign up wtih GOogle anything, don't have to delet anything. Why bother? Webervations is not worth the trouble.
This system is only $175 or so a month, and PAII members get 50% off the first year. I'm there.
RIki

Hi gang,
There are answers to most of these questions in our FAQ's. A couple updates though specifically - all existing Innpayment customers can continue to use Innpayment through Webervations with no additional charges/fees/etc. Webervations support has the exact steps to go through for accounts to get setup through Innpayment - I'm not sure who you guys are talking to there, but I've got a direct line with the CEO and we have an internal process ready to roll out as we get closer to cutting over.
Only folks who want to use other processors than Innpayment need to pay the gateway fees to Yapstone for providing that connection (which incidentally are less than most any other gateway fee). This enables you to work with virtually any processor, whether we have worked with them or not.
Processing through Webervations will be "tokenized" meaning that credit cards never enter the Webervations system. This prevents theft, it prevents anyone from charging a customer's card for anything but a charge at the property - period. This type of integrated processing is extremely safe, secure, and easy-to-use.
I will not speak about competitors - but do your homework - PCI compliance is a real issue and has severe financial consequences. Very informative article here if you want to begin to understand who is being targeted for credit card theft:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304567604576454173706460768.html

Hi gang,
There are answers to most of these questions in our FAQ's. A couple updates though specifically - all existing Innpayment customers can continue to use Innpayment through Webervations with no additional charges/fees/etc. Webervations support has the exact steps to go through for accounts to get setup through Innpayment - I'm not sure who you guys are talking to there, but I've got a direct line with the CEO and we have an internal process ready to roll out as we get closer to cutting over.
Only folks who want to use other processors than Innpayment need to pay the gateway fees to Yapstone for providing that connection (which incidentally are less than most any other gateway fee). This enables you to work with virtually any processor, whether we have worked with them or not.
Processing through Webervations will be "tokenized" meaning that credit cards never enter the Webervations system. This prevents theft, it prevents anyone from charging a customer's card for anything but a charge at the property - period. This type of integrated processing is extremely safe, secure, and easy-to-use.
I will not speak about competitors - but do your homework - PCI compliance is a real issue and has severe financial consequences. Very informative article here if you want to begin to understand who is being targeted for credit card theft:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304567604576454173706460768.html.
{sigh} I'm glad to hear it, but why did it take such stürm und drang to extract this information from Webervations? Neither Webervations customer support nor our InnPayment rep knew this.
I'm so.glad you have a "direct line to their CEO" but that doesn't help me when I am desperately trying to find out what should be basic information AND NOBODY IN YOUR COMPANY OR THEIRS HAS A CLUE!!@$%!$#
What is the matter with you?
You send out an email warning of a major change within a month in the way you process payments, you give four options that are pretty opaque in terms of their impact on our business, and when we call your support center NOBODY HAS A FRIGGIN' CLUE ABOUT WHAT IT MEANS OR WHEN IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!!!
I repeat: What is the matter with you?
Clearly, B&Bs are a pretty small pond and you don't respect us very much.
Either that, or you're a pretty small business yourself that hasn't sorted out on your corporate fingers and toes how your decisions will affect your customers.
I'm sorry. We have been very happy with Webervations and InnPayment in the past, but based on your customer service alone, the next whizz-bang competitor of yours that comes along that doesn't give me brain damage--I'm bailing.
Tom

Hi gang,
This artice uses an example where changing from a POS system to using an integrated computer system is what caused the breach. So while it may be efficient and whatever other adjectives you use to describe the system that generates money for your company, it is not any safer.
BTW, I still have not received an email from Webervations. How are you ensuring that all of your Webervations customers are made aware of the changes that are coming?

Hi gang,
This artice uses an example where changing from a POS system to using an integrated computer system is what caused the breach. So while it may be efficient and whatever other adjectives you use to describe the system that generates money for your company, it is not any safer.
BTW, I still have not received an email from Webervations. How are you ensuring that all of your Webervations customers are made aware of the changes that are coming?
Don Draper said:
Me either, DD. At least I know it's not only the Weberv 2.0 customers who are being neglected this time.

Hi gang,
JBanczak said:
Hi gang,
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304567604576454173706460768.html
So Webervations is fine now if all of us change our cc processing to Innpayment. No thanks. And those who won't go through your selected cc processing are being punished with a two step involving a cell phone? And why do you infer that you are the only ones that are compliant? I'm so outta here.
RIki

* You can use virtually any processor you like through the Yapstone gateway. Virtually all processors need a gateway to connect to websites, software, machines. Some do not - Innpayment and Intuit each own a gateway - but most do. Authorize.net is a gateway for example, so is Merchant Partners, and so is Yapstone. We are not saying you must use a processor we have partnered with at all.
* On notification, if you are not receiving our emails, please let me know and we can check to verify we have the correct email address for you. We clearly want to communicate to everyone and are attempting to do that. If we don't know which email address you are having problems with, it makes it virtually impossible to trouble-shoot.

Back