Webervations/BedandBreakfast.com

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banana

Reaction score
For those of you that do both, do you know that in the following statement is included in the form that the guest fills out:
[tr]Please have BedandBreakfast.com remind me to review this property after my stay[/td] [/td] [/tr] [/table]And it is already pre-checked. I am finding no way to remove this from the form. Am I over reacting by being irritated about this? After all the things they've pulled in the last couple years, this really tops it for me. I have no control over what my guests read from my website?

So...in essence, we have just "sold" our guests' email address to bedandbreakfast.com. They are going to send them an email directly, after their stay, to remind them to review the stay. What if the guest cancelled? How do they know not to send the email? What if the guest absolutely hated their stay, and was content to just put it behind them, but oh,well..here ya go, a week later, someone is going to email them to remind them how much they hated their stay, and let's just take this time to share our misery with others.
I'm more pissed the more I think about it.

Like I said to someone yesterday we have half a dozen places guests CAN and COULD review us, we have to go back and forth on which ones we want next. It is up the innkeeper if we want to recommend this, or up to the guest if they want to do it!
I just checked an innmates here and sure enough it WAS there and was already checked!!!
WHAT THE!

Like I said to someone yesterday we have half a dozen places guests CAN and COULD review us, we have to go back and forth on which ones we want next. It is up the innkeeper if we want to recommend this, or up to the guest if they want to do it!
I just checked an innmates here and sure enough it WAS there and was already checked!!!
WHAT THE!.
EXACTLY! In this situation, we don't have any control. I send an email followup about a week after their stay, thanking them for their stay, blah, blah...and then suggest a review if they would like to take the time to do so. I welcome reviews - that's just me. But who the &#$* does bnb.com think they are, sending an email to MY guest???

Yes, and yes. Try it yourself. Go into your availability (as a guest would - from your website) and chose a date and room. On the next page, where they enter their name, address, etc, scroll down a bit, and you will see it - prechecked. Unless you are a very careful guest, you would not see this.

Let me make sure I am clear on this:
In my case I do have webervations on my website AND I do have a listing with B&B.com -
So are you saying that if someone books a reservation FROM MY WEBSITE using Webervations that B&B.com that it has this message pre checked?
OR
Are you saying that if they book from B&B.com's site using the Webervations link that it has this message pre-checked?
EDITED - Never mind I see this on my form now. This is brand new (I think) as I looked at the form not too long ago and did not see this. John, If you are out there - please reply to this post! I find this to be an invasion of privacy of information obtained for MY business. This information is not for use by any other source.

Before John posts it: this is from the second half of an email sent from Webervation on 7/27. Yes, it is there and yes, it can be removed. Check your email - there is also a widget that shows the bandb.com reviews during checkout.
'We've heard from innkeepers that they are often uncomfortable soliciting reviews. We've also heard from consumers that they are sometimes uncomfortable clicking on review links from properties due to privacy concerns. But studies show that properties with numerous reviews perform better than properties with few or no reviews. Travelers like to read feedback from other guests before making their decision about where to stay, so when there are lots of reviews, they're able to make a more informed decision and convert. Plus, every month your property gets a review on BedandBreakfast.com, you get a $5 credit -- that means you can earn up to $60 a year!

Webervations customers that are BedandBreakfast.com members will now be able to offer anyone booking on their websites the ability to receive a private, direct email from BedandBreakfast.com asking them to review a property after their stay. We're adding a check box at the end of the reservation path that asks if the guest would like to be reminded to leave a review by BedandBreakfast.com. We believe this will help to greatly increase the number of reviews for your property. If they do not want to be reminded, the guest can easily un-check the box.

Just like the review widget, If you do not want the review reminder to appear on your confirmation page, simply send an email to
[email protected] and we will remove it for you.''

Before John posts it: this is from the second half of an email sent from Webervation on 7/27. Yes, it is there and yes, it can be removed. Check your email - there is also a widget that shows the bandb.com reviews during checkout.
'We've heard from innkeepers that they are often uncomfortable soliciting reviews. We've also heard from consumers that they are sometimes uncomfortable clicking on review links from properties due to privacy concerns. But studies show that properties with numerous reviews perform better than properties with few or no reviews. Travelers like to read feedback from other guests before making their decision about where to stay, so when there are lots of reviews, they're able to make a more informed decision and convert. Plus, every month your property gets a review on BedandBreakfast.com, you get a $5 credit -- that means you can earn up to $60 a year!

Webervations customers that are BedandBreakfast.com members will now be able to offer anyone booking on their websites the ability to receive a private, direct email from BedandBreakfast.com asking them to review a property after their stay. We're adding a check box at the end of the reservation path that asks if the guest would like to be reminded to leave a review by BedandBreakfast.com. We believe this will help to greatly increase the number of reviews for your property. If they do not want to be reminded, the guest can easily un-check the box.

Just like the review widget, If you do not want the review reminder to appear on your confirmation page, simply send an email to
[email protected] and we will remove it for you.''.
Interesting - I did not have an email from bedandbreakfast.com on 7/27 - checked ALL areas including my trash folder. I did receive the 2Q Survey on that date and a Featured Auction $match email but not anything else.
Secondly, instead of automaticly placing that on the form they should have sent out the email telling of the new option to add this as an additional service to their clients.
I will be removing this (thanks for the email address) promptly. But this raises a big red flag to me that information placed in that system is easily obtained by bedandbreakfast.com and that they see no problem taking that information for their use. Who's to say that they are not obtaining email addresses for other uses without our knowledge - or the knowledge of our guests who are placing this data in the system with the feeling that it is a safe place to do so. I have requested John, by email, to reply to this post and to assure me and the others here that our reservation data is safe and secure and not being used by bedandbreakfast.com for any purpose.

7/27? Like...two days ago? I never received this email either. Thank you for the email address - I'll be sending my request to have it removed also.
This, to me, ranks right up there with bnb.com putting popups on their site for other lodging accommodations. Are you kidding me? It wasn't bad enough that they have LaQuinta or The Holiday Inn advertising on the sidelines?

Interesting - I did not have an email from bedandbreakfast.com on 7/27 - checked ALL areas including my trash folder. I did receive the 2Q Survey on that date and a Featured Auction $match email but not anything else.
Secondly, instead of automaticly placing that on the form they should have sent out the email telling of the new option to add this as an additional service to their clients.
I will be removing this (thanks for the email address) promptly. But this raises a big red flag to me that information placed in that system is easily obtained by bedandbreakfast.com and that they see no problem taking that information for their use. Who's to say that they are not obtaining email addresses for other uses without our knowledge - or the knowledge of our guests who are placing this data in the system with the feeling that it is a safe place to do so. I have requested John, by email, to reply to this post and to assure me and the others here that our reservation data is safe and secure and not being used by bedandbreakfast.com for any purpose.
Just to be clear, the email was from [email protected], not from bandb.com. I agree, of course - I always think these things should be opt-in, not opt-out, but none of it surprises me. I think we all have been wondering how the use of the webervations database of clients would be used to further the interests of bandb.com and this is one of the ways.

Just to be clear, the email was from [email protected], not from bandb.com. I agree, of course - I always think these things should be opt-in, not opt-out, but none of it surprises me. I think we all have been wondering how the use of the webervations database of clients would be used to further the interests of bandb.com and this is one of the ways.
Thanks for the clarification but as I expected (did go back and check again) no I did not receive that email from either one.

I was seriously considering the PAII/BandB.com deal. Now I am not so sure. I am also quite concerned, suddenly about my guests information being accessed by someone other than me. Thank you all for the heads up. Much to consider.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

OK - I received an email from John who will reply to this thread tomorrow. I am going to post - copy and paste - his direct response with his permission. Please note that my original email to him was BEFORE learning that there had been an email sent out. (even though I never received it)
From JBanczak - "I am out of the office bit will respond tomorrow. You can feel free to convey my message. Being brief as I am at dinner.

We announced this a year ago, have had it live for rezo customers for several months. It is completely optional and can be removed as we specified in the email. Just email weber support. Around 98% of reZo users use this on their booking engine to get more reviews without having to do it directly. So far everyone seems prett pleased with it. Either way it is optional and easily removed.

We believe it generates more reviewsand lends credibility to any inns webpage that they are affiliated with bb.com.

Sorry so brief, sent from iPhone. "

Does their automated review reminder thank the guest for staying at "xyz" B&B ?.................or is it just a review reminder?
If it does a "thank you" and review......wouldn't that be one less thing the inkeeper would have to or want to do?
Understandable.....that perhaps less than desireable guests would be receiving a request to review and that the inkeeper would have to be more diligent in reviewing the reviews ........but you would do that anyway.
If the Webv / b&b.cm review reminder includes a thank you for staying.......that would be a good thing...............if it currently does not include a thank you............perhaps it should

Wow, thank you so much for starting this thread as I had no idea this was happening and we did not receive and email regarding it. Unbelievable, all i can say is unbelievable.

I emailed last night and requested that the reminder and the widget be removed (I already have the widget on my site). I received a response this morning that it had been removed and it has. So it was a quick response.
As I said, I don't mind reviews - I encourage them. But I want to send my own followup email, perhaps personalizing it with something regarding their visit, and I'd rather direct them to TA anyway. I don't need a generic email sent from someone else.

I emailed last night and requested that the reminder and the widget be removed (I already have the widget on my site). I received a response this morning that it had been removed and it has. So it was a quick response.
As I said, I don't mind reviews - I encourage them. But I want to send my own followup email, perhaps personalizing it with something regarding their visit, and I'd rather direct them to TA anyway. I don't need a generic email sent from someone else..
To me the point is that this is a company that expounds again and again on how secure their systems are, PCI compliance and all that...yes, your info is secure from everyone except them. The opt-out method is just not kosher, just MHO.

I don't use Webervations so take this for whatever it is worth to you...the program has been in place for a YEAR and the email just went out 2 days ago informing you of it? What bothers me is that this was going on with a seemingly large number of B&B owners not knowing about it, or not understanding exactly what was happening.
So, a year has gone by where innkeepers who didn't know may possibly have been sending out a duplicate-sounding email asking the guests to provide a review. And, as we all know, NO ONE wants to be inundated with emails to write a review.
I guess I haven't seen anything to the contrary...ie- 'WOW I am so happy Webervations is contacting my guests to tell them to leave a review.'
I would be peeved that guest emails are being captured and used by another company other than the one (mine) the guest THOUGHT they were dealing with. And, does the email purport to be coming from the inn or Webervations? If from the inn, I'd be doubly peeved as they are sending emails in my name that I knew nothing about. You do not know the content of the email, how it sounds, what the guest is told, etc.
As Jeanne said, these things MUST be opt-in, not opt-out. My take on that is that Webervations has been spamming your guests for as long as this program has been in place.

I don't use Webervations so take this for whatever it is worth to you...the program has been in place for a YEAR and the email just went out 2 days ago informing you of it? What bothers me is that this was going on with a seemingly large number of B&B owners not knowing about it, or not understanding exactly what was happening.
So, a year has gone by where innkeepers who didn't know may possibly have been sending out a duplicate-sounding email asking the guests to provide a review. And, as we all know, NO ONE wants to be inundated with emails to write a review.
I guess I haven't seen anything to the contrary...ie- 'WOW I am so happy Webervations is contacting my guests to tell them to leave a review.'
I would be peeved that guest emails are being captured and used by another company other than the one (mine) the guest THOUGHT they were dealing with. And, does the email purport to be coming from the inn or Webervations? If from the inn, I'd be doubly peeved as they are sending emails in my name that I knew nothing about. You do not know the content of the email, how it sounds, what the guest is told, etc.
As Jeanne said, these things MUST be opt-in, not opt-out. My take on that is that Webervations has been spamming your guests for as long as this program has been in place..
I'm not positive Mort but it sounds like it's been in place for a year for Rezovations users, and is just now going into effect for those still using Webervations.

Back