Webervations/BedandBreakfast.com

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The implementation of our widget has temporarily broke our stat tracking text box where you have your Google Analytics code placed. The good news is we have had a direct interface with Google in place for some time, and this feature is still functioning properly. All that needed to be done was drop your unique user ID into the Google Analytics box on the Stats page of your Webervations account. I have done this for you. This integration should be working correctly now. Let us know if you have further questions.
If I did not notice "way off" stats missing on my GA Content Page for Webervations Hits and email Support, (who had to manually on an individual basis correct my account)---how would I or anyone else know "all that needed to be done, was..."? Is GA still "temporarily broke" or has it been corrected yet across the network?.
PoppaSmurf said:
The implementation of our widget has temporarily broke our stat tracking text box where you have your Google Analytics code placed. The good news is we have had a direct interface with Google in place for some time, and this feature is still functioning properly. All that needed to be done was drop your unique user ID into the Google Analytics box on the Stats page of your Webervations account. I have done this for you. This integration should be working correctly now. Let us know if you have further questions.
If I did not notice "way off" stats missing on my GA Content Page for Webervations Hits and email Support, (who had to manually on an individual basis correct my account)---how would I or anyone else know "all that needed to be done, was..."? Is GA still "temporarily broke" or has it been corrected yet across the network?
Gotcha - we support a GA code entry box - and that appears to still be working. We have created a ticket to see what is going on with this other box. Quite frankly I'm not sure what that box does - but we are looking into it asap.

Hey gang,
Apologize for not getting here sooner. We announced this feature almost a year ago to all Webervations and RezOvation customers. We then sent an email out to each group when launched. It is optional, and can be removed easily by calling or emailing support.
I apologize for any lack of clarity in the product, and to anyone who did not get these emails. We sent them to everyone on our list, but it is a pretty regular occurrence that some things get blocked due to all the various blockers out there.
It seems there are two main issues - first - why did we do this, and what are the benefits. The second is why did we activate this for everyone, rather than make each individual inn activate it.
As for the why and benefits...
We still believe that the two biggest obstacles to mainstream consumers staying in a B&B are the impressions of B&B’s as an industry, and the ability to easily book online. We feel that this review widget will help with each of these delivering better information to the customer and making them feel more comfortable in booking online.
We got this idea from Bizarre Voice, the leading review company that powers major companies including Best Buy, Macy's, Crate and Barrel and SpaFinder. Last year they released study information showing that clients who showed trusted reviews in their checkout path saw significant increases in shopper conversion, and that is what everyone is after. The key to achieving this is to show trusted 3rd party reviews around a product in a way that delivers enough information to make consumers comfortable, without having them click off the web page.
Think of yourself making buying a product online, or even making a booking yourself at an unknown property – we all know how once it gets time to actually pay for the product or book the room and pay – we all get a wave of doubt falling over us. “Gee – I wonder if this product or place really is a good choice….” It happens on every purchase decision.
That is where a review widget comes in – by seeing the trusted third party reviews, it screams YES IT IS A GOOD PRODUCT . A consumer who is having these doubts sees that a property is confident enough in themselves to put their reviews right there – and the doubt goes away resulting in more bookings.
The important nuances are that the reviews must be seen as coming from a trusted third party like BB.com or consumers don’t believe them. This is why we put our brand there in a very small way. The other nuance is that you want to give them enough information so that they don’t feel the necessity to click off the page. We do that by providing the review balls for the major rating parameters and showing the total number of reviews. The last nuance is that you don’t want the graphic to have a strong call to attention to leave the page, but it must be usable if someone wants to verify the reviews or see more – and so we do have a link that goes directly to the properties own review page only.
That explains the review widget, or graphic. Something to note is that over a thousand properties manually put this review widget up on their sites even before it was automated, and roughly 98% of all RezOvation users have had and continue to use the same identical products we just launched.
The "review reminder" or the check-box to have BB.com remind the guest to leave a review at the property. Again we’ve had RezO customers using this for quite a while. To begin with, we hear constantly from innkeepers that they need a way to get more reviews at their property. At the same time we here time and again that innkeepers do not like to beg for reviews. I’ve been asked myself several times at conferences “can’t you guys go ask for reviews for me?” We also hear from travelers that they are sometimes weary of getting a review email directly from a property for privacy concerns. Travelers are concerned that if they follow the link from a property, the property might have information on them and the review they leave.
So we came up with the review reminder – a way that allows innkeepers to get more reviews, without looking like the people begging for reviews themselves. It enables consumers to get a review from a third-party, and feel comfortable that it is legitimate and private. Ultimately it helps BB.com members better get their review credit as well. We feel it is a win-win all around, and again – it is completely optional and can be easily removed by emailing or calling support.
The second question seems to be around why we did this as an opt-out program activating it for everyone, rather than an opt-in. The decision there was based on our history with this product on RezOvation. With roughly 98% of RezO customers using this – it didn’t seem to make sense to make 98% of customers have to go to the trouble to activate this. It would have required our support team to handle literally thousands and thousands of emails and phone calls to get it activated. Because it is technology that sits between BB.com and Rezo, it is not something that can simply have a user switch on it. So rather than flood the phones by requiring everyone to check-in to do this, it made more sense to notify everyone and allow folks to have it removed. Our experience has been that the overwhelming majority of customers find this to be a benefit. It is clear based on the comments in this form that not everyone will find this as a benefit, but given that so many do, it seems to make a lot of sense to implement it this way.
There are countless product items like this that get launched for everyone with a default, yet are adjustable on the back end. We generally launch everything one way or another and try to pick what the likelihood is that more properties will use it or not. Great example is Trip Insurance – we launched that opt-out as well. The credit card auto-delete was launched with a default setting because we had to pick one. We are launching new larger photos on Rezo, and those have to be opt-in because the majority of those booking engines are customized and may not fit them. Each product needs to be thought about independently.
I hope that helps to explain things. Ultimately these products should help drive more bookings and increase the number of reviews BB.com members get without a property having to do any extra work. But as I’ve mentioned, anyone can let us know if they would like these products shut down for any reason, and that is just fine – just let us know!.
John, I thank you for coming here and stating your opinon on this matter as well as responding to my email while you should have been enjoying your dinner in peace last night. All this shows your commitment to your job and your desire to have all of us happy as well.
My biggest issue with this is based on privacy of the data I am collecting by purchasing your software. This was not (unless I missed it) addressed in your email and one that NEEDS to be addressed. I want assurance that the information placed in Webervations by my guests and by me is for strictly MY use and is not gathered by B&B.com for any purpose other than maintaining the system that I am paying for. Please respond to this - I need this reassurance or I will need to look elsewhere for my bookings.
I must say that mentioning something a year ago and then implementing it a year later is not something to be proud of. And I am sorry to have to tell you this but I do not keep everything I am told about in the back of my mind to be brought back out of the cobwebs a year later. This would be like sending out our B&B newsletter and stating that we plan to purchase new comforters for our beds next year and then expect them all to remember. (A small number maybe).
I will tell you that there is no reason why I would not have received the email, I do not have filters on the email that B&B uses to send me info and I have received several emails from you guys all week, including the one today. To know I am not alone tells me something. (3 out of 4 posted here they did not receive the email)

GA allows one to generate a code for tracking to be inplanted on one's web pages. Webervations allows(ed) that code to be pasted in to the "other" box, which is what I did many moons ago. Anyone who has generated their own GA tracking code would be affected.

I'm on B&B.com and have Webervations. I don't have the check box that was mentioned. I'm glad I don't. I prefer to send a personal thank you to each guest. I invite them to leave a review if they'd like, but it's ME that's doing it.

All credit card numbers in Webervations are currently being masked as a security precaution.
We are working to restore the system to its normal state and hope to do so no later than Monday, August 2.
What on earth does this mean????

I'm on B&B.com and have Webervations. I don't have the check box that was mentioned. I'm glad I don't. I prefer to send a personal thank you to each guest. I invite them to leave a review if they'd like, but it's ME that's doing it..
Interesting PT, I even had to check your site out myself to see if you had missed it (they placed it directly under the comment section).
Wonder if they decided to make the change or if by some fluke, your site was missed.
- like what you have done with your site btw!

Please call Webervations Support (740-380-3807) for Credit Card number Access
What is going on??? Security has been breeched? And now we have to call to get Credit Card numbers to secure a room on the fly?

All credit card numbers in Webervations are currently being masked as a security precaution.
We are working to restore the system to its normal state and hope to do so no later than Monday, August 2.
What on earth does this mean????.
Pappa, guess you are referring to the announcements when you log in? I do not know what it means as I am able to view the CC#'s that I have with current bookings. BUT they did email us today stating that there was a Phishing Attempt sent to some users that could compromise the security of this data. Guess this message is warning those that have their data protected due to this phish.

Please call Webervations Support (740-380-3807) for Credit Card number Access
What is going on??? Security has been breeched? And now we have to call to get Credit Card numbers to secure a room on the fly?.
My account is giving same message, but again, I have not received an email of a problem.

You cannot currently view any credit card info for new or existing Webervations Requests...all cc numbers are being masked. No one answered phone at Webervations at 6:45, machine picked up and stated they were open 'til 7 pm but I'm sure they're getting inundated with calls. Yikes.

Sorry John, but all this has pushed me over the edge. After 8 years of being a Webervations user, I'm dumping it.

Hey gang,
Apologize for not getting here sooner. We announced this feature almost a year ago to all Webervations and RezOvation customers. We then sent an email out to each group when launched. It is optional, and can be removed easily by calling or emailing support.
I apologize for any lack of clarity in the product, and to anyone who did not get these emails. We sent them to everyone on our list, but it is a pretty regular occurrence that some things get blocked due to all the various blockers out there.
It seems there are two main issues - first - why did we do this, and what are the benefits. The second is why did we activate this for everyone, rather than make each individual inn activate it.
We still believe that the two biggest obstacles to mainstream consumers staying in a B&B are the impressions of B&B’s as an industry, and the ability to easily book online. We feel that this review widget will help with each of these delivering better information to the customer and making them feel more comfortable in booking online.
We got this idea from Bizarre Voice, the leading review company that powers major companies including Best Buy, Macy's, Crate and Barrel and SpaFinder. Last year they released study information showing that clients who showed trusted reviews in their checkout path saw significant increases in shopper conversion, and that is what everyone is after. The key to achieving this is to show trusted 3rd party reviews around a product in a way that delivers enough information to make consumers comfortable, without having them click off the web page.
Think of yourself making buying a product online, or even making a booking yourself at an unknown property – we all know how once it gets time to actually pay for the product or book the room and pay – we all get a wave of doubt falling over us. “Gee – I wonder if this product or place really is a good choice….” It happens on every purchase decision.
That is where a review widget comes in – by seeing the trusted third party reviews, it screams YES IT IS A GOOD PRODUCT . A consumer who is having these doubts sees that a property is confident enough in themselves to put their reviews right there – and the doubt goes away resulting in more bookings.
The important nuances are that the reviews must be seen as coming from a trusted third party like BB.com or consumers don’t believe them. This is why we put our brand there in a very small way. The other nuance is that you want to give them enough information so that they don’t feel the necessity to click off the page. We do that by providing the review balls for the major rating parameters and showing the total number of reviews. The last nuance is that you don’t want the graphic to have a strong call to attention to leave the page, but it must be usable if someone wants to verify the reviews or see more – and so we do have a link that goes directly to the properties own review page only.
That explains the review widget, or graphic. Something to note is that over a thousand properties manually put this review widget up on their sites even before it was automated, and roughly 98% of all RezOvation users have had and continue to use the same identical products we just launched.
The "review reminder" or the check-box to have BB.com remind the guest to leave a review at the property. Again we’ve had RezO customers using this for quite a while. To begin with, we hear constantly from innkeepers that they need a way to get more reviews at their property. At the same time we here time and again that innkeepers do not like to beg for reviews. I’ve been asked myself several times at conferences “can’t you guys go ask for reviews for me?” We also hear from travelers that they are sometimes weary of getting a review email directly from a property for privacy concerns. Travelers are concerned that if they follow the link from a property, the property might have information on them and the review they leave.
So we came up with the review reminder – a way that allows innkeepers to get more reviews, without looking like the people begging for reviews themselves. It enables consumers to get a review from a third-party, and feel comfortable that it is legitimate and private. Ultimately it helps BB.com members better get their review credit as well. We feel it is a win-win all around, and again – it is completely optional and can be easily removed by emailing or calling support.
The second question seems to be around why we did this as an opt-out program activating it for everyone, rather than an opt-in. The decision there was based on our history with this product on RezOvation. With roughly 98% of RezO customers using this – it didn’t seem to make sense to make 98% of customers have to go to the trouble to activate this. It would have required our support team to handle literally thousands and thousands of emails and phone calls to get it activated. Because it is technology that sits between BB.com and Rezo, it is not something that can simply have a user switch on it. So rather than flood the phones by requiring everyone to check-in to do this, it made more sense to notify everyone and allow folks to have it removed. Our experience has been that the overwhelming majority of customers find this to be a benefit. It is clear based on the comments in this form that not everyone will find this as a benefit, but given that so many do, it seems to make a lot of sense to implement it this way.
There are countless product items like this that get launched for everyone with a default, yet are adjustable on the back end. We generally launch everything one way or another and try to pick what the likelihood is that more properties will use it or not. Great example is Trip Insurance – we launched that opt-out as well. The credit card auto-delete was launched with a default setting because we had to pick one. We are launching new larger photos on Rezo, and those have to be opt-in because the majority of those booking engines are customized and may not fit them. Each product needs to be thought about independently.
I hope that helps to explain things. Ultimately these products should help drive more bookings and increase the number of reviews BB.com members get without a property having to do any extra work. But as I’ve mentioned, anyone can let us know if they would like these products shut down for any reason, and that is just fine – just let us know!.
John, I thank you for coming here and stating your opinon on this matter as well as responding to my email while you should have been enjoying your dinner in peace last night. All this shows your commitment to your job and your desire to have all of us happy as well.
My biggest issue with this is based on privacy of the data I am collecting by purchasing your software. This was not (unless I missed it) addressed in your email and one that NEEDS to be addressed. I want assurance that the information placed in Webervations by my guests and by me is for strictly MY use and is not gathered by B&B.com for any purpose other than maintaining the system that I am paying for. Please respond to this - I need this reassurance or I will need to look elsewhere for my bookings.
I must say that mentioning something a year ago and then implementing it a year later is not something to be proud of. And I am sorry to have to tell you this but I do not keep everything I am told about in the back of my mind to be brought back out of the cobwebs a year later. This would be like sending out our B&B newsletter and stating that we plan to purchase new comforters for our beds next year and then expect them all to remember. (A small number maybe).
I will tell you that there is no reason why I would not have received the email, I do not have filters on the email that B&B uses to send me info and I have received several emails from you guys all week, including the one today. To know I am not alone tells me something. (3 out of 4 posted here they did not receive the email)
copperhead said:
Sorry - to answer your question on privacy - no, we do not use guest data in any way that is in your Webervations account.
As far as not receiving the email, I'm not sure what to tell you on this one. If you are implying that you believe we did not send this email to you, I can assure you that is not the case. We sent it to everyone on our distribution list, the same list we use for all Webervations announcements. There would be no reason not to do this.

So during PEAK SEASON, there is no way to access a credit card number to secure a guest's reservation? No one answering phones? No resolution until Monday ??? Where is EVERYONE in SUPPORT? And is this all coincidental re the Widget implant??? AAAAAARGGGGGH!!

John
You are correct from the consumer perspective.......online transactions, the buyer has to feel confident and comfortable with the entity they are doing the transaction with.......after all.....WalMart online has reviews...as does most online retailers....and I am also noticing emails from online retailers a short while after the product is shipped asking to review the item..........as well as asking for a review just after the final click for that purchase.......what you are doing with the auto response for a review is nothing new
Surely you and I can indentify what is troubling the members here.........the lack of clear prenotification, as well as the implimentation long, long after the notice was emailed.
As mentioned in this thread....some may not have gotten your email for various reasons............answer to that.........post cards...$.28 postage
I do prefer the ability to opt in rather than opt out......from the behind the scenes perspective that you explained....it makes sense you did what you did......I will refer to adequate prenotification to members and webv users.
The concern for privacy mentioned in this thread is an important one....We all know that organizations (not saying yours) package consumer information for sale to marketers.....one email account I receive more than 1,000 usless emails a month..........back in March of this year I had requested info for an investment.....June I was getting calls and mail from more than 20 different companies........I know they bought my contact information.
All want good reviews / testimonials, regardless of industry........how would an inkeeper protect themselves from the odd guest that has expectations in the clouds, or when the proprietor bent over backwards for a guest, yet nothing would satisfy them......it's those situations that an inkeeper would not ask the guest to provide a review, yet with your auto response for a review the property has no possible way to guard themselves from frivolous reviews.
As I am sure you are aware.......B&B owners, inkeepers.....much like most all small business owners prefer to have control.......it would appear in this instance.....they didn't have it.
We all understand that reviews are important to the lodging / tourist industry.........those that deal one on one with a guest are a better judge of who they would prefer to get a review from.......
Lastly......If a b&b,com member opts out of the atuo review response request......will they get a less favorable listing on the b&b,com website for the fact they are not providing reviews through you?

I would still like these questions answered:
1) If the guest cancels, do they still get a reminder after the date they would have stayed?
2) Does this email appear as though it comes from my business, or from bedandbreakfast.com?
3) I'd like to know the wording of the reminder email.

Hey gang,
copperhead said:
Sorry - to answer your question on privacy - no, we do not use guest data in any way that is in your Webervations account.
As far as not receiving the email, I'm not sure what to tell you on this one. If you are implying that you believe we did not send this email to you, I can assure you that is not the case. We sent it to everyone on our distribution list, the same list we use for all Webervations announcements. There would be no reason not to do this.
This could have easily been communicated on the "Announcement" box on the sign in page. If you're aware that a lot of innkeepers don't receive your e-mails, then you need to find another way to communicate. I did not receive an e-mail either, but I also don't see that it has been added on to my reservation form (yet). I've been a RezOvation (old version) and Webervation user for years, but haven't liked the direction it and bb.com have taken. What really ticks me off is that these changes are always under the vail of helping the innkeeper. Except for the large b&bs, I don't know any innkeeper who feels that "we're" being helped.

There is no longer a phone number to call, nor apparently any way to access card numbers to guarantee reservations until after the weekend??? Totally unsatisfactory.

There is no longer a phone number to call, nor apparently any way to access card numbers to guarantee reservations until after the weekend??? Totally unsatisfactory..
OOPs sorry I posted a new question on this before reading this morning.

There is no longer a phone number to call, nor apparently any way to access card numbers to guarantee reservations until after the weekend??? Totally unsatisfactory..
I don't have any new reservations, but now on my existing ones the cc numbers are showing up again. I just dearly hope that there's not a glitch in the system that is suspending delivery of these Webervations as they come in...how would we ever know?
I won't confirm our Webervations until I run the deposit and make sure the cc number is valid...so this issue is a major problem for me, I'll have people calling to ask why they didn't get their confirmation.

I understand everyones discontent with not being able to view CC#'s, but you must think of the overall picture....due to the Phishing attempt, they had to do what was necessary to secure all data possibly affected by this attempt. This is protecting your customers data - something you have placed in the trust of Webervations to handle. Your inconvenience for now may be saving you a ton of problems if they had not done this.
I agree with the posts that Webervations should have staff on call due to this emergency, something maybe this situation will invoke them to consider in the future.
I had wondered why my CC#'s were not affected but giving this some thought last night, maybe the phishing attempt did not subject all of their data servers and they could isolate the problem that way.
Again, while this is a pain for the weekend, in the long run they are doing what you are paying for them to do, securing your data (guest data) from evil hackers.

Back