Webervations lack of V Code

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
So tell me again why we cannot access the vcode on webervations? Because it is required to make the reservation but not to be held in the system?
My mother-daughter guests just came to check out and she did not have her credit card. She said "I thought we already paid for it when I gave you the credit card details online?" I told her that was to hold the room, not pay for them (which of course my policies state clearly).
She had put in her husband's credit card details, I have no vcode on file. I have no credit card to swipe. Do I trust them? I guess I have to, don't I.
I am not very pleased and hope I don't get stuck with a high fee,

We cannot store it because it is flat-out illegal to store the CVV code in any way. Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong, and cannot be PCI compliant.

So the only way to get the vcode is from a phone call or of course in person which negates the need for it.
I guess I am tired of all the hand holding for guests lately. It seems the clearer I make things the more difficult it is for them to "get it."
Her husband was in a diff time zone and she didn't want to call and wake him. I am just running on little patience with this stuff lately. Guest stuff. Stupid stuff like bringing a credit card to pay for your room, keeping the front door closed in 93 degree weather when the a/c is pumpin' it's heart out.
shades_smile.gif

So the only way to get the vcode is from a phone call or of course in person which negates the need for it.
I guess I am tired of all the hand holding for guests lately. It seems the clearer I make things the more difficult it is for them to "get it."
Her husband was in a diff time zone and she didn't want to call and wake him. I am just running on little patience with this stuff lately. Guest stuff. Stupid stuff like bringing a credit card to pay for your room, keeping the front door closed in 93 degree weather when the a/c is pumpin' it's heart out.
shades_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif
Yes, but if your processor is telling you that you get a better rate by getting the v-code, that is a myth. We've heard that out in the market, but that is not anything done by Visa, if it is done by your processor, then they are likely marking it up and making the money on it.
There is a great blog here to see some good information on all this cc stuff: http://www.braintreepaymentsolutions.com/blog/7.

Ok, I just this morning got set up with Rezovation GTO, and the input screen does ask for CVV, and supposedly it will be stored until the time I tell it to delete the cc info. Is this only if you are using QuickBooks cc processing? It makes a huge difference, I was told that inputting the CVV serves to make the transaction the same level of security as if you are swiping the card.

Ok, I just this morning got set up with Rezovation GTO, and the input screen does ask for CVV, and supposedly it will be stored until the time I tell it to delete the cc info. Is this only if you are using QuickBooks cc processing? It makes a huge difference, I was told that inputting the CVV serves to make the transaction the same level of security as if you are swiping the card..
InnsiderInfo said:
Ok, I just this morning got set up with Rezovation GTO, and the input screen does ask for CVV, and supposedly it will be stored until the time I tell it to delete the cc info. Is this only if you are using QuickBooks cc processing? It makes a huge difference, I was told that inputting the CVV serves to make the transaction the same level of security as if you are swiping the card.
RezOvation does not actually store the CVV, but CVV can be collected from the consumer if transmitted immediately for the purpose of verifying the card. RezOvation is a fully certified payment application - you can go back later and view the cc number if you like, but not the CVV - that is instantly transmitted then discarded per the PCI rules.

Ok, I just this morning got set up with Rezovation GTO, and the input screen does ask for CVV, and supposedly it will be stored until the time I tell it to delete the cc info. Is this only if you are using QuickBooks cc processing? It makes a huge difference, I was told that inputting the CVV serves to make the transaction the same level of security as if you are swiping the card..
InnsiderInfo said:
RezOvation does not actually store the CVV, but CVV can be collected from the consumer if transmitted immediately for the purpose of verifying the card. RezOvation is a fully certified payment application - you can go back later and view the cc number if you like, but not the CVV - that is instantly transmitted then discarded per the PCI rules.
So if the guest at check-out says "Just put the balance on my card on file", if I don't physically swipe the card or get the CVV code from the customer, it will get processed as a non-swipe transaction?

I got panicky as soon as webervations stopped retaining the codes. As my charges were processed by an automated telephone system that required it, I was unable to process any charges all of a sudden. I called my processor and they set me up with a virtual terminal account online that does not require the code. AND, by doing it online, I got a better rate too. FIne with me, as I did not want to have to go with the on-site processing equipment. Very rarely do I ever have a guest's card in my hand....couple dozen times a year at the most.
Then, I could breathe again.

InnsiderInfo said:
So if the guest at check-out says "Just put the balance on my card on file", if I don't physically swipe the card or get the CVV code from the customer, it will get processed as a non-swipe transaction?
InnsiderInfo said:
I thought anything that was not physically swiped was processed as a non-swipe transaction.
Riki

InnsiderInfo said:
InnsiderInfo said:
I thought anything that was not physically swiped was processed as a non-swipe transaction.
Riki
I did too, but Rezovation is telling me that if I manually key in the number and the CVV and click "Swiped" transaction, it gets processed at the lower rate. We are to the point with all of our phone reservations that we request the CVV number, as additional insurance in case of a charge back. I'm confused!

InnsiderInfo said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
egoodell said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
That is correct. However, true lodging-certified applications follow the procedure of swiping the card upon check-in, then processing on check-out. Since the card was swiped as check-in pre-auth, it does not need to be swiped again at check-out.
If you never swipe, your best rate will be mid-qualified which should be in the mid 2% range, unless mileage/corp/amex/something else funky in the mid 3's.

InnsiderInfo said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
I did too, but Rezovation is telling me that if I manually key in the number and the CVV and click "Swiped" transaction, it gets processed at the lower rate. We are to the point with all of our phone reservations that we request the CVV number, as additional insurance in case of a charge back. I'm confused!
InnsiderInfo said:
Who is telling you that here?

InnsiderInfo said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
It is on the Rezovation GT set-up, if you are QuickBooks enabled. There is a box that you check for "Swiped Transaction", and a spot to enter the CVV.

InnsiderInfo said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
egoodell said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
That's what I was told by my credit card processing guy.

InnsiderInfo said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
We are to the point with all of our phone reservations that we request the CVV number, as additional insurance in case of a charge back. I'm confused!
The cvv code is not a means to fight a chargeback. It is only a means to verify that the card is legit at the instant of processing. New chargeback procedures should not even ask you to verify the credit card number..it will just reference the last 4 digits and the transaction number. They will not ask you for the full cc number as proof nor will they ask for the cvv number. If you provide either of them it would only be used as proof to show that you are keeping info you shouldn't be.
Defense of chargeback involves proving they stayed (check in and check out dates woth signature) or proof that you clearly communicated your cancellation policy if it is chargeback for a no-show or early departure.

InnsiderInfo said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
Wow, I am completely astonished that you would use a comment that I made here (an an ANONYMOUS poster) to do some sleuthing. You should know that it is actions like these that leave me extremely hesitant to place the trust in BedandBreakfast.com that others on this forum seem to have.
My post earlier was in relation to my own confusion as to the function and usefulness of even asking for CVV info, NOT on the functionality of Rezovation...I was hoping some of the other experienced Rezovation users on this forum might be able to explain how they have used the function. Instead it seems I have gotten a completely helpful employee into hot water.
I find your actions disturbing, and your very presence here on these boards a nuisance. This is supposed to be a forum for innkeepers to openly and frankly discuss their experiences and share information. At best I find your posts an attempt to be enlightening, and at worst (and far more often) blatant sales pitches that I am frankly surprised are tolerated.
Swirt, I will be leaving the forum immediately. If you would like to discuss this incident with me privately please email me at the contact info you have.

InnsiderInfo said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
Wow, I am completely astonished that you would use a comment that I made here (an an ANONYMOUS poster) to do some sleuthing. You should know that it is actions like these that leave me extremely hesitant to place the trust in BedandBreakfast.com that others on this forum seem to have.
My post earlier was in relation to my own confusion as to the function and usefulness of even asking for CVV info, NOT on the functionality of Rezovation...I was hoping some of the other experienced Rezovation users on this forum might be able to explain how they have used the function. Instead it seems I have gotten a completely helpful employee into hot water.
I find your actions disturbing, and your very presence here on these boards a nuisance. This is supposed to be a forum for innkeepers to openly and frankly discuss their experiences and share information. At best I find your posts an attempt to be enlightening, and at worst (and far more often) blatant sales pitches that I am frankly surprised are tolerated.
Swirt, I will be leaving the forum immediately. If you would like to discuss this incident with me privately please email me at the contact info you have.
was hoping some of the other experienced Rezovation users on this forum might be able to explain how they have used the function. Instead it seems I have gotten a completely helpful employee into hot water.
I am sorry, I have backtracked and see nothing to indicate anyone did any sleuthing. I have no idea who you are - no reason to care actually about who is who. As one who has climbed the back of bandb several times to the point the head honcho ripped me a new one - at least twice - I have found John to try to be helpful as he of couse, shills for the company - that is his job, no jab intended John.
I took his question to be asking about misinformation being given to correct it, not to get someone in trouble. If I had an employee who was giving incorrect info, i would want to correct it for the sake of the employee and the company and to ensure my employees gave factual information. I am sorry if you feel threatened in any way.

InnsiderInfo said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
I apologize for any confusion here, but since I was in this thread, I thought that your comment was directed at me and you wanted to get an answer on that. I didn't know if you were being told that by us, or by other innkeepers, or other processors as this credit card area leaves every confused. Often times innkeepers post questions for me to specifically follow-up on.
I'm not sure what you mean about getting anyone in hot water - I didn't mention anything to our team beyone what I do whenever there is a question on these forums, I send an email to our product manager and support group asking them for the exact procedure/response in Rezo so I can answer you correctly. In this case, since I use GT, I knew there was no Swipe Card checkbox in GT so something sounded off to me. There is a link with that name that only opens a window for someone to swipe a card and waits for the USB entry. There is a "Card Present" checkbox, and I don't believe that results in a lower rate, but I'm not certain. Our PM is at the doctor, and I've been communicating with him while there.

I did want the reason for the lack of v code, as I had forgotten, I was asking John. In fact I thought I had typed his name in, and then looked and I didn't. I was actually asking his response to this query as I had forgotten. I was very uncomfortable this morning not having a credit card in my hand for payment, and lack of v-code seemed to make me more nervous, although I enjoyed the guests and do not think they were falsely using another's credit card details. (I hope!) Sorry for any unneeded stress that was brought up on this issue.

InnsiderInfo said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
was hoping some of the other experienced Rezovation users on this forum might be able to explain how they have used the function. Instead it seems I have gotten a completely helpful employee into hot water.
I am sorry, I have backtracked and see nothing to indicate anyone did any sleuthing. I have no idea who you are - no reason to care actually about who is who. As one who has climbed the back of bandb several times to the point the head honcho ripped me a new one - at least twice - I have found John to try to be helpful as he of couse, shills for the company - that is his job, no jab intended John.
I took his question to be asking about misinformation being given to correct it, not to get someone in trouble. If I had an employee who was giving incorrect info, i would want to correct it for the sake of the employee and the company and to ensure my employees gave factual information. I am sorry if you feel threatened in any way.
I'm just a lurking observer (and intrested party) but I too am confused by this response.
smiley-confused004.gif
This subject matter is already confusing enough for a newbie trying to wade the waters of credit card processing, b&b.com, and online reservations. Please don't make it even more confusing.

Back