Webervations sold

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Webervations for now remains the service of choice. But because of the buyout the other online reservation providers are revamping their product. Within 2 months Availability Online will not only offer everything that Webervations offers, they have a few things Webervations V1 does not. I am not familiar with V2 so I have no way to compare it.
There is no reason for anyone to switch for now. But I have a feeling within a few months and for sure within the next year everyone will have to decide which direction to head. Nobody spends that much money just to keep their current customers happy. Unless your the US government.
Personally I have a problem giving a single vender so much control over an industry. With control comes corruption and the need for more and more control.
Why do we allow this to happen to ourselves? It happens slowly over time! How does someone begin to control a group? Pit them against each other, Make them think they all have to join in or be left behind. I go onto the google site and see ads on the right where Innkeepers are competing against each other for position, one decides to pay a little more per click, then the next, and the next till each click is costing $2. To Google it's a marketing game, pit the advertisers against each other. If the Innkeepers all got together and said lets all pay the same, say, 50 cents per click, we would all get 4 times as many clickthroughs for our dollar! I guess what I am saying is "take back the control". We are the ones with the product, not the vendors! Without us, they have no reason to exist! And when I see Bed and Breakfast directories pitting Innkeeper against Innkeeper for more and more advertising dollars I just shake my head.
I propose we think about cooperating with each other and take back control of our product. Let the vendors know who really controls the draw strings in the business. With the economy as it is things will only get worse, vendors need more money the same as we do, but if they trick us into thinking without them we can not survive, then we will not and they'll be the last ones getting a check, not us.
Anybody want to join in and create a National Innkeepers Cooperative?
Does anybody want to take back control?
I say unite fellow Innkeepers, work with the other Innkeepers in your area. Start more joint marketing ventures together, share the expense and benefit.
Sorry to go off, but between myself being in both IT, hosting and computer programming for so many years, and my wife being in marketing for 16 years we know when we're being taken for a ride.
Michael.
Welcome, Michael. As for forming another association, I am not sure it is needed - there is PAII. As for control, I truly think we already have it with our checkbooks. We just do not renew.
It is a tough decision for many who are trying to get established and those trying to stay established. I have personally made my decision. I cannot afford the higher renewal rates and am willing to "takes my chances" as Popeye says. Hope you stick around and contribute opinions as another point of view is most often interesting.

Webervations for now remains the service of choice. But because of the buyout the other online reservation providers are revamping their product. Within 2 months Availability Online will not only offer everything that Webervations offers, they have a few things Webervations V1 does not. I am not familiar with V2 so I have no way to compare it.
There is no reason for anyone to switch for now. But I have a feeling within a few months and for sure within the next year everyone will have to decide which direction to head. Nobody spends that much money just to keep their current customers happy. Unless your the US government.
Personally I have a problem giving a single vender so much control over an industry. With control comes corruption and the need for more and more control.
Why do we allow this to happen to ourselves? It happens slowly over time! How does someone begin to control a group? Pit them against each other, Make them think they all have to join in or be left behind. I go onto the google site and see ads on the right where Innkeepers are competing against each other for position, one decides to pay a little more per click, then the next, and the next till each click is costing $2. To Google it's a marketing game, pit the advertisers against each other. If the Innkeepers all got together and said lets all pay the same, say, 50 cents per click, we would all get 4 times as many clickthroughs for our dollar! I guess what I am saying is "take back the control". We are the ones with the product, not the vendors! Without us, they have no reason to exist! And when I see Bed and Breakfast directories pitting Innkeeper against Innkeeper for more and more advertising dollars I just shake my head.
I propose we think about cooperating with each other and take back control of our product. Let the vendors know who really controls the draw strings in the business. With the economy as it is things will only get worse, vendors need more money the same as we do, but if they trick us into thinking without them we can not survive, then we will not and they'll be the last ones getting a check, not us.
I say unite fellow Innkeepers, work with the other Innkeepers in your area. Start more joint marketing ventures together, share the expense and benefit.
Sorry to go off, but between myself being in both IT, hosting and computer programming for so many years, and my wife being in marketing for 16 years we know when we're being taken for a ride.
Michael.
My B&B group did the Google ads this summer for that reason...get the guests to one site with all of us on it and they'll pick one of us rather than a hotel. If we were ALL doing Google ads separately, we don't know that the guests would have done the same.
We've done that for advertising as well. Chip in the money that each of us individually could not afford and get one big ad for less than the price of 6 small ones.

"Webervations for now remains the service of choice. But because of the buyout the other online reservation providers are revamping their product. Within 2 months Availability Online will not only offer everything that Webervations offers, they have a few things Webervations V1 does not. I am not familiar with V2 so I have no way to compare it."
My question would be - why did the other providers wait until now to revamp their product? We've been improving our GT product constantly over the past few years, and at the same time slashed pricing. It is cheaper than the original Munsenware Guest Tracker - a decade later and with a decade's improvements. If the other reservation providers are finally revamping and improving their products "because of the buyout..." then I guess you all have us to thank for being the catalyst for the rest of the industry to finally improve things.
regular_smile.gif

Why do other providers seem to look like the "good guys" if they haven't been improving their product and only now are doing so? Yet we are the "bad guys" for taking over a product that hadn't been improved in a long time and going out there and making improvements? We don't wait for someone else to improve the industry - we do it all on our own. For this, other reservation providers that haven't been improving are supposed to get kudos?
Great example is the other thread on Superinn's credit card processing right now. I like Superinn - seems like a great system - and I particularly like their booking engine page designs. I think they have a very clean interface that I bet would rival any system on conversion of guests - something I feel is of the utmost importance that many others do not do very well. Yet from what I can tell they are more expensive than RezOvation (not sure since they don't publish price), and they have been promising credit card processing for years and yet may or may not have delivered it based on what I can read in that forum. Yet RezOvation GT has full lodging-certified credit card processing built into it already - including full swiped/qualified capabilities - and costs less... and somehow we are the "bad guys" in all this?
I really wish I could figure out where you guys are coming from on this stuff, because it seems to me that no matter what we do, good/bad or otherwise, we are always going to be the bad guys to you, and I feel that is very unwarranted.

"Webervations for now remains the service of choice. But because of the buyout the other online reservation providers are revamping their product. Within 2 months Availability Online will not only offer everything that Webervations offers, they have a few things Webervations V1 does not. I am not familiar with V2 so I have no way to compare it."
My question would be - why did the other providers wait until now to revamp their product? We've been improving our GT product constantly over the past few years, and at the same time slashed pricing. It is cheaper than the original Munsenware Guest Tracker - a decade later and with a decade's improvements. If the other reservation providers are finally revamping and improving their products "because of the buyout..." then I guess you all have us to thank for being the catalyst for the rest of the industry to finally improve things.
regular_smile.gif

Why do other providers seem to look like the "good guys" if they haven't been improving their product and only now are doing so? Yet we are the "bad guys" for taking over a product that hadn't been improved in a long time and going out there and making improvements? We don't wait for someone else to improve the industry - we do it all on our own. For this, other reservation providers that haven't been improving are supposed to get kudos?
Great example is the other thread on Superinn's credit card processing right now. I like Superinn - seems like a great system - and I particularly like their booking engine page designs. I think they have a very clean interface that I bet would rival any system on conversion of guests - something I feel is of the utmost importance that many others do not do very well. Yet from what I can tell they are more expensive than RezOvation (not sure since they don't publish price), and they have been promising credit card processing for years and yet may or may not have delivered it based on what I can read in that forum. Yet RezOvation GT has full lodging-certified credit card processing built into it already - including full swiped/qualified capabilities - and costs less... and somehow we are the "bad guys" in all this?
I really wish I could figure out where you guys are coming from on this stuff, because it seems to me that no matter what we do, good/bad or otherwise, we are always going to be the bad guys to you, and I feel that is very unwarranted..
John I think you raise very valid points and can lead to interesting discussions that I look forward to on here.
Just being a little pre-emptive here though, I want to caution against phrases like "...where you guys are coming from..." as each of us represent our own way of thinking and not some kind of collective mind.
Some will appreciate that the system becomes more stable and changes are made in a more efficient way and roll outs of upgrades are more professionally done (in place of the confusion that was going on with migration from V1 to V2)
Some will object to a change in price. While others may not like a price increase but understand that a system that old and that widely used can't be supported correctly at the price they were charging (and had not raised in years).
Some will object just because the big gorilla has gotten bigger.

regular_smile.gif

I really wish I could figure out where you guys are coming from on this stuff, because it seems to me that no matter what we do, good/bad or otherwise, we are always going to be the bad guys to you, and I feel that is very unwarranted..
Agree..do not lump "all of us" in your replies.
Just because one person replies something to you......that person does not speak for all of us.
We are all entitled to our own opinions.
I appreciate the fact you take the time to visit with us here and give us your perspective and insights.

regular_smile.gif

Where I'm coming from is while I understand that the price of Webervations has not been raised for some time, and will need to be, I DON'T want to have it become another commission priced online booking software.
There are plenty of booking selections for the big guys with all the bells and whistles. They can afford to pay a commission.
I only have two rooms, and down the road will only have 5 since that's all I am allowed to have.
I would be perfectly happy with Webervations as it is for my little place. If you make a lot of improvements, you're going to charge me out of using it.
Don't get me wrong. If I had 15 or more rooms I'd probably go with paying a commission. But I only have TWO ROOMS. I cannot pay much more.
No matter what improvements you do, I only have TWO ROOMS. I am only allowed FIVE ROOMS by County law. After paying to be on all the directories, I CANNOT AFFORD MUCH MORE.
Riki

regular_smile.gif

JBanczak said:
I really wish I could figure out where you guys are coming from on this stuff, because it seems to me that no matter what we do, good/bad or otherwise, we are always going to be the bad guys to you, and I feel that is very unwarranted.
JB - HOLD THE BUS! DANG IT! I am getting so miffed at being thrown into the fire with everyone else who posts on this forum all the time. There are over 200 users on this forum. So please, please, please everyone stop addressing everyone all the time. The poster is new, he just posted, he made a comment. He can make any comment he wishes. This is a public forum. He is an innkeeper. He has a voice, which I think was the point he was making. Thank you. JBJ

regular_smile.gif

JBanczak said:
JB - HOLD THE BUS! DANG IT! I am getting so miffed at being thrown into the fire with everyone else who posts on this forum all the time. There are over 200 users on this forum. So please, please, please everyone stop addressing everyone all the time. The poster is new, he just posted, he made a comment. He can make any comment he wishes. This is a public forum. He is an innkeeper. He has a voice, which I think was the point he was making. Thank you. JBJ
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBanczak said:
It's a good point and one that Swirt made as well...there are (really??) 200 users here who are not working for the same company so do not have a 'corporate' mindset. There are 200 individual businesses here, all with different needs and wants, so of course no one product will be a perfect fit for all of them. Just like there are only about 3 women in the world who look good in the standard 'bridesmaid dress', there are only a few businesses for whom the 'one size fits all' product actually fits.

regular_smile.gif

John, for me it is a bit of fear of the big gorilla. I was OK with the previous rate - not happy but any expediture is a not happy - but the raise in price was drastic - and it had just been raised within the last year or so it seemed. When one company becomes the do-all-be-all I get concerned. It is control. I am an innkeeper because I want control of my life and my business. I do not want to be looking at another entity controlling every aspect of my marketing, reservations, web design, etc. all at premium prices. Your company already had the rep of being a must do because it produced. Remember please, this is just MY perspective and opinion. I told my Aspiring classes that your company was one of the big three and important directories in my opinion. However it is starting to become the giant, a behemoth and I think (my opinion again) that that is what is scaring people. "You must have us or you will not succeed and because we are the big guy wou will pay us whatever we choose to charge."
Remember, the cute little puppy is the one that will be chosen over the big dog.

I apologize guys - I was referring to the couple posts above that reply - I should have directed those comments specifically - my bad. I love forums, but sometimes what I am trying to say or convey doesn't come across properly in text.
My comment to the poster was not meant to offend - and I would be interested in people's thoughts. I did not realize it was the person's first post - I assumed with such detailed information on the systems that it was someone who was active in here. I'd also be curious to hear what other people think about this acquisition being the catalyst for other systems to improve.
I realize that what folks have honed-in on in my post was my comment about "you guys," but the point of my post was why would other companies get kudos for only now making the improvements - based on our acquisition?
As far as commission - based - I think I have put this in other forums, but our RezOvation products have been flat fee for years and years - not commission based at all. They are on similar pricing models to Superinn, Resnexus, Booking Center (except we do not charge any up-front fee). They are also generally quite a bit cheaper (although like I've said - can't tell for sure about Superinn).
Again - apologize for that comment, it is not what I meant at all.

I apologize guys - I was referring to the couple posts above that reply - I should have directed those comments specifically - my bad. I love forums, but sometimes what I am trying to say or convey doesn't come across properly in text.
My comment to the poster was not meant to offend - and I would be interested in people's thoughts. I did not realize it was the person's first post - I assumed with such detailed information on the systems that it was someone who was active in here. I'd also be curious to hear what other people think about this acquisition being the catalyst for other systems to improve.
I realize that what folks have honed-in on in my post was my comment about "you guys," but the point of my post was why would other companies get kudos for only now making the improvements - based on our acquisition?
As far as commission - based - I think I have put this in other forums, but our RezOvation products have been flat fee for years and years - not commission based at all. They are on similar pricing models to Superinn, Resnexus, Booking Center (except we do not charge any up-front fee). They are also generally quite a bit cheaper (although like I've said - can't tell for sure about Superinn).
Again - apologize for that comment, it is not what I meant at all..
JBanczak said:
I'm not giving kudos to the others. Don't use 'em, know nothing about 'em. Sorry, but thems the facts.
I'm happy with my little Webervations... like Riki, I'm little. I have what I need at a reasonable price and I'm happy. It would be really fabulous if, as you make necessary and needed improvements, and natural and (hopefully reasonable) rate increases you will consider the needs of the itty bitty B&B's in the world. Webervations gives me all I need (more actually) for a low price... it would be nice if such a product remained available at a viable price. It would be a service to a major (yet "small") portion of the industry.
=)
Kk.

My question would be - why did the other providers wait until now to revamp their product?
Because they now see an opportunity to get a foot in the door and know to get that foot in, they have to make some effort to give at least what we are used to. They were content to be the little birds who get what is left after the big boys (who made the effort to plant, cultivate, harvest or hunted the game) finished their meal. Now they see an opening to make gains with not a lot of effort - I am making the assumption that some of what Webervations did that we liked so much has become "common knowledge" in the industry. So with not much effort, they can fill the breach created when one of the medium sized (although I would hazard they had enough in aggregate business to be a big player) providers ceeded the field to a big boy by selling.

JBanczak said:
I'm not giving kudos to the others. Don't use 'em, know nothing about 'em. Sorry, but thems the facts.
I'm happy with my little Webervations... like Riki, I'm little. I have what I need at a reasonable price and I'm happy. It would be really fabulous if, as you make necessary and needed improvements, and natural and (hopefully reasonable) rate increases you will consider the needs of the itty bitty B&B's in the world. Webervations gives me all I need (more actually) for a low price... it would be nice if such a product remained available at a viable price. It would be a service to a major (yet "small") portion of the industry.
=)
Kk.
Yes agree with you and Rikki. I do lots of sites for people who own one or two cabins or small B & B's..... I finally manage to convince them of the need to have at least on line availability and the first thing I say is WEBERVATIONS...because they can afford $55- 80 a year and that is it.
I used it as well for 7 years when I ran our small 3 room place. It did everything and anything I wanted and I was perfectly satisfied with it.
There is still a place for the "no frills" a get the job done... kind of program and it has served hundreds of innkeepers well over the years. Keep version 1 for these people and if you want to move on to Version 2 and fix it..fine and dandy. If you have to increase the cost...$100 would be the MAX I think my clients would be willing to pay.

My question would be - why did the other providers wait until now to revamp their product?
Because they now see an opportunity to get a foot in the door and know to get that foot in, they have to make some effort to give at least what we are used to. They were content to be the little birds who get what is left after the big boys (who made the effort to plant, cultivate, harvest or hunted the game) finished their meal. Now they see an opening to make gains with not a lot of effort - I am making the assumption that some of what Webervations did that we liked so much has become "common knowledge" in the industry. So with not much effort, they can fill the breach created when one of the medium sized (although I would hazard they had enough in aggregate business to be a big player) providers ceeded the field to a big boy by selling.
I think it also has a lot to do with, having to update their systems to be more secure. They don't have a lot of choice as far as I can tell.
And I will be the first to admit that I've been with SuperInn since 2003 and in that time they have only made two updates and those have been pretty minor. They have not been "pushing the envelope" in my opinion.

Michael.
Michael - Welcome to the forum and keep pushing forward. While some feel PAII takes care of the industry, I do think that they are different from what you are proposing. Of couse your idea is new to this forum and more thought needs to be done to see if this effort would work. I had also read your post on another forum.
Personally, I find PAII too high for the small B&B's, they like B&B.com, in my opinion, have structured themselves for the larger inns instead of the average size B&B's (2-5 rooms). But lets be realistic, it takes a lot of energy to handle a co-op the size you are invisioning, so there would be costs as no one (and it would take more than one) would handle this job for free. But please, do continue to think this through and maybe start your own thread for feedback. I try to keep my mind open to new ideas.

John, I believe that many of these other systems may have been in the process of updating simply to comply with security issues, then they saw a bigger opportunity when B&B.com purchased Webervations. Webervations, though simple, has a lion's share of the business and since B&B.com already has an availabilty system So maybe they are seizing the opportunity to possibly capture more business by making their product more attractive to current Webervation clients. Most people find something that works and becomes comfortable with it and unless the apple cart gets turned over, there is no reason to look beyond to something else. Now innkeepers and other availbility systems are seeing a fork in the road ahead for Webervations and are wondering if the cart is going down that smooth road to the right or the one with many pot holes and are preparing for what road it takes.
I for one am skeptical about the future of Webervations but have hopes that B&B.com will do right by all thos faithful Webervations clients. In my former business life I was with a large corportation which was almost taken over by a well known financial equity investor (aka 'corporate raider') who gobbled up businesses in trouble to suck the juice out of them & then spit out the pits. My hopes are that B&B.com does not do this to Webervations and to all the innkeepers using this system.
I plan to post on the other tread about my hopes for Webervations. But I do want to state that I agree with Gillum about the 'control' factor. And also with YS and Riki about the small guys' needs. (That keeps being preached on this forum but never seems to get through to B&B.com)

Well David is a great guy with a big heart. He worked very hard on Webervations. We all know it was a clone of Availability Online but David continued on and kept improving it. V1 works well the way it is and people are used to it.
I think everybody needs to know all the available options now, and those coming, to ease everyones minds. I have gotten over one hundred emails from Innkeepers interested in moving away just because of the "giant". I'm sorry if you happen to work for Eric but that shouldn't mean people can't know. There is nothing wrong with change, we've had that blasted into our heads for a year now! You employer took a big step, some people are suspicious and you guys have done your best trying to keep everyone calm. Good job, but allow us to decide for ourselves now. Just because someone mentions another option for those looking elsewhere, shouldn't be followed up with a post from Eric or yourself saying how much better webervations is.
And yes, there have been posts on PAII like that.
One vender started a thread on PAII advertising his software, there were only two posts to follow, one from you John questioning his prices and announcing how expensive his product was to the Innkeepers, followed by a post from Eric stating how much more robust his software was than the other venders. Of couse you both went on and on talking down his product.
Well I've never heard of his product before but I was shocked at how disrespectful you were to him and his post. Hey, he is a member of PAII and posting in PAII's vender forum. Cut these other guys a break!
Moderators, if I'm out of line here just tell me.
Yours truly.
Michael

Well David is a great guy with a big heart. He worked very hard on Webervations. We all know it was a clone of Availability Online but David continued on and kept improving it. V1 works well the way it is and people are used to it.
I think everybody needs to know all the available options now, and those coming, to ease everyones minds. I have gotten over one hundred emails from Innkeepers interested in moving away just because of the "giant". I'm sorry if you happen to work for Eric but that shouldn't mean people can't know. There is nothing wrong with change, we've had that blasted into our heads for a year now! You employer took a big step, some people are suspicious and you guys have done your best trying to keep everyone calm. Good job, but allow us to decide for ourselves now. Just because someone mentions another option for those looking elsewhere, shouldn't be followed up with a post from Eric or yourself saying how much better webervations is.
One vender started a thread on PAII advertising his software, there were only two posts to follow, one from you John questioning his prices and announcing how expensive his product was to the Innkeepers, followed by a post from Eric stating how much more robust his software was than the other venders. Of couse you both went on and on talking down his product.
Well I've never heard of his product before but I was shocked at how disrespectful you were to him and his post. Hey, he is a member of PAII and posting in PAII's vender forum. Cut these other guys a break!
Yours truly.
Michael.
Sorry, but as one who can get pugnacious herself, you are too close to the line for comfort.
The regulars on this Forum have all taken their shots - but at comment or price increases, etc. People are talking about available options. I am also unhappy with the loss of Webervations as I knew it, but having asked and been assured that a listing on bandb.com is not required to contiunue with Webervations, am willing to wait and see what happens. As of now, no price has been announced. As of now, everything is business as usual with Webervations. As of now, I am holding my water and not going for anyone's throat. I have explained my fears and concerns regarding the buyout and intend to say no more. I am not ready to "take to the battlements" and have no intention of ticking anyone off (John & Eric) because I want to give the "giant" a chance to take a breath from the reactions based on past events. For right now I moved to my sister's State of Missouri - Show Me.
Edited to state that the above is MY opinion and is not the opinion of any other person.

Yours truly.
Michael.
Sorry, but as one who can get pugnacious herself, you are too close to the line for comfort.
The regulars on this Forum have all taken their shots - but at comment or price increases, etc. People are talking about available options. I am also unhappy with the loss of Webervations as I knew it, but having asked and been assured that a listing on bandb.com is not required to contiunue with Webervations, am willing to wait and see what happens. As of now, no price has been announced. As of now, everything is business as usual with Webervations. As of now, I am holding my water and not going for anyone's throat. I have explained my fears and concerns regarding the buyout and intend to say no more. I am not ready to "take to the battlements" and have no intention of ticking anyone off (John & Eric) because I want to give the "giant" a chance to take a breath from the reactions based on past events. For right now I moved to my sister's State of Missouri - Show Me.
Edited to state that the above is MY opinion and is not the opinion of any other person.
Kathleen - you have talked to bandb.com but the rest of us haven't. Several people have noted on these posts that lumping us all together into a 'we' is not the best representation of opinions on this forum. I heard from several people at this conference who used GuestTracker and will tell you that the same promises were made with that software. I feel it is okay to continue to remind bandb.com that small innkeepers who don't spend a lot of money but buy a large volume of licenses are still interested in Webervations. Sometimes they listen.
That is not to say that I haven't taken the same wait and see stance. As a member of the forum and as an innkeeper - one of the only ones who has tried out Webervations 2.0 - I can tell you that a lot of things still need to be fixed. As wonderful as David and his staff may have been, the technical issues have been huge and the support has been small. If the sale of Webervations makes that better, then good. I have actually started to research Rezovation GT because I'm not sure that it doesn't do a better job at what I wanted Webervations 2.0 to do at an (eventually) less expensive price. It's good to be comparison shopping anyway.

Yours truly.
Michael.
Hi Michael,
The particular vendor that started that thread also emailed pretty much all of the customers they could find - our customers - many of which sent them to us complaining about spam. David himself had some pretty choice words about them as well.
They also use claims that I have asked to have clarified in the past - like "hundreds of customers" have left our product for theirs... Typically you can't make a claim like that unless you have the proof to back it up. So if someone posts a thread specifically going after RezOvation or Webervations customers - which they did - and calling out a claim that seems quite surprising, I don't feel like it is disrespectful at all to ask them to clarify their product or pricing as well?
So I'm not sure why we shouldn't call out their pricing? If they are specifically using our name in their advertising, and making a blatant attempt to take away our customers, I want to make sure our customers know a little bit more about their pricing and get some facts other than somewhat dubious marketing claims...
I also asked him if they would be wiling to connect to Webervations. I know it has been a sore spot for some innkeepers that Webervations does not have this vendor's properties in the system for consolidated availability displays. I'm not sure of the history as to why or why not this is the case, but I would like to rectify that.
So I'm sorry if you feel we were disrespectful or out of line, but they did specifically run a campaign directly targeted at our customers using our name, and that certainly should allow us to respond.

Back