Webervations - three digit security cod

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egoodell

Reaction score
Okay we just received a phone call from a guest canceling this weekend. Really hurts after all this snow. She said her father died and they are out the door to travel. I am going to call their home tonght and if they are there wanted to charge the cancellation fee.
So we don't have the three digit code. So I told DH it looks like we'll have to start acting like the big guys and charge the one night on booking. Oh wait, I thought initially I received the three digit code when they book, but we don't.
I am NOT going to call every reservation for the code. It looks totally unprofessional, not to mention I don't have the time. I know they will claim it is to be compliant, but if that's the case then all the other booking systems are not compliant, which I doubt.
May be time to change to one of the other non-complaint booking systems that all the others are perfectly happy using, Maybe even my formsite.com for now since I only have two rooms.
Riki

Or you could switch credit card processors / processor methods that would allow you to not need the CV code.
Why put yourself at risk switching to a non-compliant system? And yes, if it is third party system, they are not compliant if they in any way shape or form store the cv code for you to look at.

Or you could switch credit card processors / processor methods that would allow you to not need the CV code.
Why put yourself at risk switching to a non-compliant system? And yes, if it is third party system, they are not compliant if they in any way shape or form store the cv code for you to look at..
Ditto.

We are not required to collect that code in order to run the card. You might look at a processor that does not require it.
Or, challenge your processor to make it so that you don't need the code. If you cannot store it, they should not require you get it.

Forgot to add, if your terminal is currently set up to absolutely require the cv code, it is likely just a programming oversight in the terminal. Contacting your CC processor should allow them to walk you through the process of reprogramming your terminal. In most cases it is not something they would be able to check or initiate from their end. You'd have to call and have them walk you through the re-program. You essentially have to tell your terminal to go get a new set of procedures.

Why put yourself at risk switching to a non-compliant system? And yes, if it is third party system, they are not compliant if they in any way shape or form store the cv code for you to look at..
Thanks all, I'll check into it.
Riki

We are not required to collect that code in order to run the card. You might look at a processor that does not require it.
Or, challenge your processor to make it so that you don't need the code. If you cannot store it, they should not require you get it..
Ditto ,same as Morticia....not required here..Mary in Bridgewater

Or, challenge your processor to make it so that you don't need the code. If you cannot store it, they should not require you get it..
Mary, if you don't mind my asking, who is your processor? So many people recommend Tom that I wonder what they all are doing about this...
RIki

Forgot to add, if your terminal is currently set up to absolutely require the cv code, it is likely just a programming oversight in the terminal. Contacting your CC processor should allow them to walk you through the process of reprogramming your terminal. In most cases it is not something they would be able to check or initiate from their end. You'd have to call and have them walk you through the re-program. You essentially have to tell your terminal to go get a new set of procedures..
[FONT=&quot]Okay, now from what I have been told by someone who has been in the biz for quite a while and is trusted, it appears that the day is fast approaching where everyone is going to need the secuity code, and some cards are already requiring it. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I suppose the day is gone when credit card fraud is simply written off, due to the economy. I always was mad when they said it cost too much money to process the thieves.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What is not legal now is to STORE it, not COLLECT it, so when Webervations tells us it is illegal to store and collect, that is true because of the word store.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So I guess I have to decide which is more expensive - temporary change to someone who does not require it yet to process, or go with ResNex who is up to code and can collect it for me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ouch. I currently do the tours through a free system, for just bookings and have them send me a check for deposit, and I pay I think around $150 for Webervations. This will jump to a minimum of $480/year I thinkl[/FONT]

Mary, if you don't mind my asking, who is your processor? So many people recommend Tom that I wonder what they all are doing about this...
RIki
We have our processing through Tom, and our program does not require us to enter the code, ever. Occasionally I am asked for the zip code but even that is rare. If I choose 'card not present' I am not asked any other information, but I'm sure I am charged the higher rate at that point.

RIki
We have our processing through Tom, and our program does not require us to enter the code, ever. Occasionally I am asked for the zip code but even that is rare. If I choose 'card not present' I am not asked any other information, but I'm sure I am charged the higher rate at that point.
muirford said:
I think so - and it could be because we have a newer processor. I think one older one we have for the one business requires it and the other older one for the other business does not. Someone else said they bypass it by just hitting "return" and it goes through. Others say the just put in any three numbers and it goes through.
What Tom is saying is that all the reservation systems were designed years ago when none of this was required. The day is coming when they will all have to be redesigned when this will become required.
They are getting by right now by saying it's illegal to collect and store which is true. But it's not illegal to collect only to use for processing.
So, I have to figure out if I'm going to bite the bullet now or later. It may depend if we get the loan to build the wing this year.That would make it a no-brainer. Do the change now.
I'm lucky I've been getting by with one free system for the tours for 7 years and Webervations for the B&B for 2. Resnex is actually not expensive for taking the two. It's just that I'm trying to keep my expenses DOWN right now.
RIki

Forgot to add, if your terminal is currently set up to absolutely require the cv code, it is likely just a programming oversight in the terminal. Contacting your CC processor should allow them to walk you through the process of reprogramming your terminal. In most cases it is not something they would be able to check or initiate from their end. You'd have to call and have them walk you through the re-program. You essentially have to tell your terminal to go get a new set of procedures..
[FONT=&quot]Okay, now from what I have been told by someone who has been in the biz for quite a while and is trusted, it appears that the day is fast approaching where everyone is going to need the secuity code, and some cards are already requiring it. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I suppose the day is gone when credit card fraud is simply written off, due to the economy. I always was mad when they said it cost too much money to process the thieves.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What is not legal now is to STORE it, not COLLECT it, so when Webervations tells us it is illegal to store and collect, that is true because of the word store.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So I guess I have to decide which is more expensive - temporary change to someone who does not require it yet to process, or go with ResNex who is up to code and can collect it for me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ouch. I currently do the tours through a free system, for just bookings and have them send me a check for deposit, and I pay I think around $150 for Webervations. This will jump to a minimum of $480/year I thinkl[/FONT]

egoodell said:
[FONT= &quot]Okay, now from what I have been told by someone who has been in the biz for quite a while and is trusted, it appears that the day is fast approaching where everyone is going to need the secuity code, and some cards are already requiring it. [/FONT]
[FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]I suppose the day is gone when credit card fraud is simply written off, due to the economy. I always was mad when they said it cost too much money to process the thieves.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]What is not legal now is to STORE it, not COLLECT it, so when Webervations tells us it is illegal to store and collect, that is true because of the word store.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]So I guess I have to decide which is more expensive - temporary change to someone who does not require it yet to process, or go with ResNex who is up to code and can collect it for me.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Ouch. I currently do the tours through a free system, for just bookings and have them send me a check for deposit, and I pay I think around $150 for Webervations. This will jump to a minimum of $480/year I thinkl[/FONT]
John here, let me try to clarify this. You are correct in the storing part - PCI compliance says you cannot store it. Thus you as an innkeeper cannot retrieve anywhere. Any system that tells you otherwise is incorrect. I'm not sure how Resnexus would collect it for you unless they automatically transmit it. If they let you retrieve it/view it - then that is clearly against the rules. I doubt they do.
I think the issue you are having here is with your credit card processor though - Webervations and Rezo use Intuit for example, and that provides for the collection of the CVV because it is transmitted instantly and not saved anywhere. That would require you to switch you cc processor. I believe you would need to switch your cc processor if you wanted it integrated into Resnexus as well?
I certainly would look at using Webervations and Intuit though - there is no upfront fee, no early termination, not much to setup at all. If you are currently using Webervations you could try it for a few months and switch if for some reason it doesn't meet your needs without having any issues really at all.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

egoodell said:
[FONT= &quot]Okay, now from what I have been told by someone who has been in the biz for quite a while and is trusted, it appears that the day is fast approaching where everyone is going to need the secuity code, and some cards are already requiring it. [/FONT]
[FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]I suppose the day is gone when credit card fraud is simply written off, due to the economy. I always was mad when they said it cost too much money to process the thieves.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]What is not legal now is to STORE it, not COLLECT it, so when Webervations tells us it is illegal to store and collect, that is true because of the word store.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]So I guess I have to decide which is more expensive - temporary change to someone who does not require it yet to process, or go with ResNex who is up to code and can collect it for me.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Ouch. I currently do the tours through a free system, for just bookings and have them send me a check for deposit, and I pay I think around $150 for Webervations. This will jump to a minimum of $480/year I thinkl[/FONT]
John here, let me try to clarify this. You are correct in the storing part - PCI compliance says you cannot store it. Thus you as an innkeeper cannot retrieve anywhere. Any system that tells you otherwise is incorrect. I'm not sure how Resnexus would collect it for you unless they automatically transmit it. If they let you retrieve it/view it - then that is clearly against the rules. I doubt they do.
I think the issue you are having here is with your credit card processor though - Webervations and Rezo use Intuit for example, and that provides for the collection of the CVV because it is transmitted instantly and not saved anywhere. That would require you to switch you cc processor. I believe you would need to switch your cc processor if you wanted it integrated into Resnexus as well?
I certainly would look at using Webervations and Intuit though - there is no upfront fee, no early termination, not much to setup at all. If you are currently using Webervations you could try it for a few months and switch if for some reason it doesn't meet your needs without having any issues really at all.
JBanczak said:
You are correct in the storing part - PCI compliance says you cannot store it. Thus you as an innkeeper cannot retrieve anywhere.
John, this is not the case with Web 2.0 - or, it has not been made PCI compliant yet. The CVV code is still stored there and I can still retrieve it. I have to manually delete them after processing. I thought it had gone away, but I noticed this weekend with a new reservation that is in the record.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

egoodell said:
[FONT= &quot][/FONT]
JBanczak said:
egoodell said:
[FONT= &quot][/FONT]
egoodell, before thinking of changing ANYTHING contact your processor as SWIRT mentioned as I believe that is your solution! That is what I did back when I heard on this forum that full CC #'s should not appear on Merchant copies of receipts - another PCI matter. I made a call and had my reader reprogrammed. I also asked them when doing this to make sure that when I was reprogrammed that any and all PCI requirements were taken care of.
NOTE: I am with First Data. If the card is NOT present, I must provide the person's address # as well as the zip code (this must match the billing address or I am charged a higher rate for non-matching id)

I have been told the solution to this for my situation by another innkeeper and if anyone is in the same situation please email me privately as I don't want to disclose in a public forum.
RIki

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

What is not legal now is to STORE it, not COLLECT it, so when Webervations tells us it is illegal to store and collect, that is true because of the word store.
This is true. and there is no third party system that could ever show it to you unless they stored it. So any system that showed it to you would not be PCI compliant.

RIki
muirford said:
I think so - and it could be because we have a newer processor. I think one older one we have for the one business requires it and the other older one for the other business does not. Someone else said they bypass it by just hitting "return" and it goes through. Others say the just put in any three numbers and it goes through.
What Tom is saying is that all the reservation systems were designed years ago when none of this was required. The day is coming when they will all have to be redesigned when this will become required.
They are getting by right now by saying it's illegal to collect and store which is true. But it's not illegal to collect only to use for processing.
So, I have to figure out if I'm going to bite the bullet now or later. It may depend if we get the loan to build the wing this year.That would make it a no-brainer. Do the change now.
I'm lucky I've been getting by with one free system for the tours for 7 years and Webervations for the B&B for 2. Resnex is actually not expensive for taking the two. It's just that I'm trying to keep my expenses DOWN right now.
RIki
That's not quite right. At first, none of them collected CV numbers.Then the terminals started asking for CV numbers, so gradually all the systems started collecting the data. Then it became illegal to store and not required by the terminal, so now they are all gradually stopping.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

egoodell said:
[FONT= &quot][/FONT]
JBanczak said:
You are correct in the storing part - PCI compliance says you cannot store it. Thus you as an innkeeper cannot retrieve anywhere.
John, this is not the case with Web 2.0 - or, it has not been made PCI compliant yet. The CVV code is still stored there and I can still retrieve it. I have to manually delete them after processing. I thought it had gone away, but I noticed this weekend with a new reservation that is in the record.
muirford said:
JBanczak said:
That should not be happening - thanks for the heads-up. We are doing a LOT of work on 2.0 right now, so something might have gotten missed. Good news is 2.0 is shaping up...
Update - this has been noted, is being diagnosed, and will be resolved and removed shortly.

RIki
muirford said:
RIki
That's not quite right. At first, none of them collected CV numbers.Then the terminals started asking for CV numbers, so gradually all the systems started collecting the data. Then it became illegal to store and not required by the terminal, so now they are all gradually stopping.
Okay I'll ask him again. So you are telling me that it is NOT something that is going to become required for processing credit cards? Tom has said it's already required by Discover, and one B&B owner has confirmed it is asked for. But he just hits "return" and the machine asks if it is illegible and he hits return again and it proceeds.
So I was assuming that it was true that the cards are going to gradually start requiring it since Discover has. I have noticed when I order things online I have to give it out to the merchants...
And as I said before, there is a way to do this in my situation if anyone else needs to know - just will say privately
Riki

Back