Webervations V-Code Missing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Webervations shows the credit card section is under construction so you have to go two extra steps to get it and then there is no V-Code showing - we need to have the v-code.
John if you read this can you please reply. I have taken bookins from Germany and MUST have the vcode or we pay higher percentage in processing. The guest IS entering it as required. This has been a couple days now since it has been out of reach for this innkeeper. I sent off an email to info@weberv as well. THANK YOU.

Have you had it before? I was setting up a client's site recently and it was gone...I had to go in and choose another format and it showed. But now I can't remember which it was..sorry:-(

Yes I have it set as a requirement, always have. It is still set, I did a fake booking and it asked for it.

Yes I have it set as a requirement, always have. It is still set, I did a fake booking and it asked for it..
It is still set, I did a fake booking and it asked for it.
Does it just ask for it, or does it require it? (just curious)

Yes I have it set as a requirement, always have. It is still set, I did a fake booking and it asked for it..
swirt said:
You can set it either way, I have it required on my settings.

We are having problems too trying to make the payment and it will turn into letters.

We are having problems too trying to make the payment and it will turn into letters..
birdwatcher said:
We are having problems too trying to make the payment and it will turn into letters.
Sorry, I'm not following you on this one. Can you ellaborate on this one? where and when does what turn to letters?
(more specifics will help them solve this faster.)

I know john reads here pretty regularly but you may want to call the help line.

I know john reads here pretty regularly but you may want to call the help line..
Here is a copy of what happens once I put in the credit card number and the rest and hit process.....
VisaMasterCardDiscoverAmerican Express*
010203040506070809101112 20092010201120122013201420152016*
Credit Card Information [/td] Card Type:[/td] Card Number:[/td] Expiration Date:[/td] CVV2:[/td]
the crdit card numbers turned into letters.... i will have to call them to make a payment.

Hi gang,
This past week we made significant changes to the credit card security of Webervations. In addition to robust encryption being put into place, we no longer can take CVV codes. Soon we will be releasing auto-delete settings like we have in Rezo GT.
It is flat-out against ALL PCI and Visa rules to store these - so capture of them is pointless and causes any system or user to be non-compliant. We've had two banks in the past two months (People's and First Merit) call us out on this since they both had Webervations users as customers. If you are using a system that captures these (and plenty do), and that system allows you to retrieve them online in any way - that system cannot be PCI compliant - period - so we had no choice. I know of at least two systems out there that claim to be compliant, but allow this to happen - meaning they are knowingly not compliant, regardless of whatever certificate they may show on their website. As an innkeeper if you are using one of them, you are also non-compliant and asking for trouble IMHO.
In most cases having the CVV shouldn't help you get better rates - if your processor is charging you extra by requring CVV, then you might want to look at a different processor.
The number/letter issue is a different story - are you saying that when you go in to retrieve a credit card number in Webervations that it is showing up as letters, not numbers?

Now I'm confused. How can your processor be asking you for info that it is non-compliant for you to have in your possession? How can THEY process that info if they can't ask for it and hold onto it themselves?
And how can JCP ask me to enter that info when I buy online if it is non-compliant for them to do so?
This whole thing is so confusing I'm going to stop taking cc info at all. I'll ASK for it but I'm not going to enter it anywhere. The guests will THINK I have it, but I won't have to worry about this nonsense anymore.

Bree, I know exactly how you feel. (Edited to add that I was just asked for this on my last 2 purchases. One online, the other was by phone. Then when my paid in-full statement was given to me (for the 2nd) it not only had my complete CC# and exp. Date but also had the CVV # printed as well as my signature. Oh, best yet - this was a company that has a contract to sell Gov. seized property....)
How is it that some companies such as JCP and MANY, MANY more do this but then companies such as Webervations gets 'called on'. Without being able to store #'s until arrival, it impossible to charge someone if they are a no show, as we will have no to charge to. In all these years I have had only 3 no-shows but if it becomes public knowledge and they can't be charged, will this be more of a problem?
What about the many companies that have automatic bill pay, THEY are storing CC#'s for this purpose. I am so very confused over all this.
John, since I know that bandb.com does monthly auto pay, maybe you can enlighten me as ot how it is handled differently and not subject to PCI compliance policies.

Bree, I know exactly how you feel. (Edited to add that I was just asked for this on my last 2 purchases. One online, the other was by phone. Then when my paid in-full statement was given to me (for the 2nd) it not only had my complete CC# and exp. Date but also had the CVV # printed as well as my signature. Oh, best yet - this was a company that has a contract to sell Gov. seized property....)
How is it that some companies such as JCP and MANY, MANY more do this but then companies such as Webervations gets 'called on'. Without being able to store #'s until arrival, it impossible to charge someone if they are a no show, as we will have no to charge to. In all these years I have had only 3 no-shows but if it becomes public knowledge and they can't be charged, will this be more of a problem?
What about the many companies that have automatic bill pay, THEY are storing CC#'s for this purpose. I am so very confused over all this.
John, since I know that bandb.com does monthly auto pay, maybe you can enlighten me as ot how it is handled differently and not subject to PCI compliance policies..
Copperhead said:
John, since I know that bandb.com does monthly auto pay, maybe you can enlighten me as ot how it is handled differently and not subject to PCI compliance policies.
Now that's a good one. All of those companies that have auto bill pay via your credit card have your card on file. I mentioned to JBJ that I got an auto-call from a prescription service asking me if I wanted to refill using the cc number they had on file.
All of this is making less sense as we go along.
I don't think they require the v-code, tho. Only single-purchase online sales require that. But they are obviously keeping the cc info on file in order to do monthly billing, or yearly billing or whatever.

Believe me - this issue is one of the most confusing we've ever faced. We are currently going through a full 3rd party audit of everything we do to make sure someone signs-off that we are doing the right thing.
With Bandb.com it is different - we take credit cards to use for our own processing. With Webervations, we are a 3rd party service provider - and the rules are quite a bit different. But at Bandb.com we don't save the CVV either - only the credit card, and since we have regular, repeat billing, there is a business reason for retaining it.
The CVV number can be asked for online - but the correct way to use it is to get it online, send it as an encrypted transmission for immediate processing, and not store it at all. This is how Rezo GT does it for instance - but the CVV should never be in a system where it can be seen and read by anyone. If that is happening, it means it is stored - and there is where the problem is.

Another option I may consider is charging the full reservation in advance. Then it's all done and I delete the cc info immediately. Maybe not even enter it but write it on a piece of paper and then shred it, or eat it.
We are having to pay an extra $15/month now for 'insurance' that will pay for an audit should we ever have to have one. If the consumer's cc info is stolen, however, we're out of business because the insurance doesn't cover anything but the cost of the audit. And you know darn well that the 'deep pockets' of all the other companies involved will get them off the hook tout de suite, leaving us, the lowly innkeeper with the $10,000 fines and the onus of repairing the consumer's credit rating, etc.
There has to be a better way to conduct business that doesn't involve us even KNOWING the consumer's cc info.
Given the number of guests who cancel whose cards I actually charge (1 in 5 years) it is not worth the worry to me anymore to have the cc info anywhere.

Hi gang,
This past week we made significant changes to the credit card security of Webervations. In addition to robust encryption being put into place, we no longer can take CVV codes. Soon we will be releasing auto-delete settings like we have in Rezo GT.
It is flat-out against ALL PCI and Visa rules to store these - so capture of them is pointless and causes any system or user to be non-compliant. We've had two banks in the past two months (People's and First Merit) call us out on this since they both had Webervations users as customers. If you are using a system that captures these (and plenty do), and that system allows you to retrieve them online in any way - that system cannot be PCI compliant - period - so we had no choice. I know of at least two systems out there that claim to be compliant, but allow this to happen - meaning they are knowingly not compliant, regardless of whatever certificate they may show on their website. As an innkeeper if you are using one of them, you are also non-compliant and asking for trouble IMHO.
In most cases having the CVV shouldn't help you get better rates - if your processor is charging you extra by requring CVV, then you might want to look at a different processor.
The number/letter issue is a different story - are you saying that when you go in to retrieve a credit card number in Webervations that it is showing up as letters, not numbers?.
This past week we made significant changes to the credit card security of Webervations. In addition to robust encryption being put into place, we no longer can take CVV codes.
There are many processors that ask for this at the terminal, and the explanation from the processor is that you need the number to get the best rates....Not sure if it leads to that or not...but that is the story they tell.
Not sure if you did this already, but you may want to send out a notification or have it displayed within the interface that this was a change and explain why.

Believe me - this issue is one of the most confusing we've ever faced. We are currently going through a full 3rd party audit of everything we do to make sure someone signs-off that we are doing the right thing.
With Bandb.com it is different - we take credit cards to use for our own processing. With Webervations, we are a 3rd party service provider - and the rules are quite a bit different. But at Bandb.com we don't save the CVV either - only the credit card, and since we have regular, repeat billing, there is a business reason for retaining it.
The CVV number can be asked for online - but the correct way to use it is to get it online, send it as an encrypted transmission for immediate processing, and not store it at all. This is how Rezo GT does it for instance - but the CVV should never be in a system where it can be seen and read by anyone. If that is happening, it means it is stored - and there is where the problem is..
JBanczak said:
Believe me - this issue is one of the most confusing we've ever faced. But at Bandb.com we don't save the CVV either - only the credit card, and since we have regular, repeat billing, there is a business reason for retaining it.
I am still so very confused
help.gif
...- not about the CVV as my processor never required I get that #, but retaining of the CC# until the guest arrives IS a big issue for me and I have a 'business reason for retaining it' as well, until they show up with their credit card in hand, then I have no problem discarding that number. - What makes this business reason any different than mine????
What is the accommodation industry headed for? Are hotel reservations going to be a thing of the past? With all of us requiring "payment in full at time of booking" instead of taking reservations? This so we do not get taken by those that do not show? I know that there are B&B's out there that already do this - mostly due to being in a high volume or high end market.

I don't understand all this cc business anyway. I tried to pay my bill through the bill pay at wevervations and it would not take the credit card although I have always paid my bill this way. Now if I have a guest trying to pay through webervations they won't be able to do it either right? As per this keeping the credit card info, if I pay through their website, that credit card number will be there no matter what, I don't care if they claim to "erase" "delete" or whatever, if someone wants a credit card number there is a way to do it. Now, I don't yet have employees to do anything with the credit cards yet, but I know from working at a newspaper we where not allowed to keep the credit card number in the system, we where to ask the credit card number every time someone called in to place an ad. Now the trick was the address mismatch problem, that is where the credit card companies charge extra if the address from the credit card does not match with the number. Man was that ever a pain the the you know what! Now I always ask for their address and make sure it matches the address where they receive their credit card correspondece.
I will have to call them to pay my bill. But I wonder if my clients will be able to do so if I can't.

Back