Website changes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Is there one change you are planning to make on your website this coming year? One big change? A new site? New photos? I'm looking for ideas, things I should be changing as it's been over a year since I've made any really big changes.

May I ask how the event calendar feature worked? You knew I would ask, I said I would. Are you keeping it or 86?
I am in a funk now as I am using Expression Web 4 and style sheets and changes I make don't work well - I need to learn this product, I need to get this thing sorted out, HOWEVER, we are for sale and I don't want to rebrand the website in the least...
My one big change (for 2012 which I did recently) was adding the blog to the website directly, now that blogger allows that, to get more bang for my SEO buck that way. I was determined to use the GOOGLE product being proactive on that "Google will reign of all search engines" theory, which proved correct.
http://blog.claibornehouse.net/

You may want to get rid of the FLASH stuff and do it with J Query script.. You may want to consider buying EASY ROTATOR. It is easy to use and it creates JQuery slide show as alternate to FLASH.

May I ask how the event calendar feature worked? You knew I would ask, I said I would. Are you keeping it or 86?
I am in a funk now as I am using Expression Web 4 and style sheets and changes I make don't work well - I need to learn this product, I need to get this thing sorted out, HOWEVER, we are for sale and I don't want to rebrand the website in the least...
My one big change (for 2012 which I did recently) was adding the blog to the website directly, now that blogger allows that, to get more bang for my SEO buck that way. I was determined to use the GOOGLE product being proactive on that "Google will reign of all search engines" theory, which proved correct.
http://blog.claibornehouse.net/.
How the calendar worked for me and guests? I don't think it made the least bit of difference. Will I do it again? Yes. But I'm starting from scratch as the calendar I have now has all kinds of random holidays/moon phases/weather stuck on it that I cannot delete. So, I will create a whole new calendar and not try anything fancy!

You may want to get rid of the FLASH stuff and do it with J Query script.. You may want to consider buying EASY ROTATOR. It is easy to use and it creates JQuery slide show as alternate to FLASH..
Does the JQuery work with everything? All of the different webpage viewers?

- mobile-optimized site
- update photos
- add interactive reservation request form (tied to terms and conditions)
- add a blog
wait, what was the time-frame allowed for all this work? ;-)

You may want to get rid of the FLASH stuff and do it with J Query script.. You may want to consider buying EASY ROTATOR. It is easy to use and it creates JQuery slide show as alternate to FLASH..
Does the JQuery work with everything? All of the different webpage viewers?
Yes that is what most folks are switching to..this software makes it easy for anyone to create without having to know the coding etc etc. You can just create and then copy and paste the code where you want the slideshow. Lots of options. It operates within Dreamweaver which is what I use for some of the old sites I have still in html. Everything I do now is in Wordpress and there are lots of plugins to do slide shows for it. You may want to consider...going to WORDPRESS if you want to do it all new.

Since you use Blogger so much.. you should just consider using WORDPRESS as your site. You already know how to do the blog rather than sticking with old html. :)

Since you use Blogger so much.. you should just consider using WORDPRESS as your site. You already know how to do the blog rather than sticking with old html. :)
catlady said:
Talk to me. How would the transition go? I know you have done this, so I am very interested in finding out more. Post some links if you don't have time to explain it... THANKS! I will do some research as well, I had thought about this a year or two ago. I feel really constrained by the old html.
my first google seach gave me this: http://wpsitebuilding.com/

Two...
Switch to wordpress to ease changes.
Create two seperate sites, one for each language. We were criticized by someone for having everything under the domain name in English and realized that since we market in French maybe it should go to a domain name in French instead. So, it's on the list of to do in 2012.

Thanks Maddie, once again you have given me homework...
cry_smile.gif

See the thing is when the software you use is totally exctinct, like years ago, that may be a clue to do a redesign, rebranding. You all know me, I am chomping at the bit for this, but it has been so overwhelming to even consider (I have a ton of content). So this may be the ticket... THANKS CL.

catlady said:
Talk to me. How would the transition go? I know you have done this, so I am very interested in finding out more. Post some links if you don't have time to explain it... THANKS! I will do some research as well, I had thought about this a year or two ago. I feel really constrained by the old html.
Joey Bloggs said:
I think you would find the transition relatively easy. I am using wordpress for a site now, a very basic one. I got a tutorial of about an hour from someone here who works in wordpress. She had the recommendation to buy a template from one of the companies that do that - they have fewer bugs and they're really not very expensive. We used Organic themes. We also bought a calendar widget for that site - calendarwiz makes a great one. I don't use one on my inn's site. I haven't switched our website over because DH refuses to learn wordpress. He's such a curmudgeon about these things. If I were building from scratch though - that's the way I would go.

catlady said:
duplicate

catlady said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I think you would find the transition relatively easy. I am using wordpress for a site now, a very basic one. I got a tutorial of about an hour from someone here who works in wordpress. She had the recommendation to buy a template from one of the companies that do that - they have fewer bugs and they're really not very expensive. We used Organic themes. We also bought a calendar widget for that site - calendarwiz makes a great one. I don't use one on my inn's site. I haven't switched our website over because DH refuses to learn wordpress. He's such a curmudgeon about these things. If I were building from scratch though - that's the way I would go.
Your site looks great! What is the template theme name. Very nice looking. Good Job!

Thanks Maddie, once again you have given me homework...
cry_smile.gif

See the thing is when the software you use is totally exctinct, like years ago, that may be a clue to do a redesign, rebranding. You all know me, I am chomping at the bit for this, but it has been so overwhelming to even consider (I have a ton of content). So this may be the ticket... THANKS CL..
That link gives you a pretty good start.
I used KARMA theme for the luray site I did. I got it at Themeforest.com The support the Karma guys give is fantastic.
My only warning would be to check with your provider to see if they can do the initial install of Wordpress. Or if your provider gives you a control panel like "Fantastico" to install it yourself. When I do that I haven't had any problems. But when I have a hosting company do it... I end of having to contact them multiple times because things are set up properly and I got error messages.

catlady said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Your site looks great! What is the template theme name. Very nice looking. Good Job!
catlady said:
We used Organic Non-Profit. I think you can buy the whole suite of organic themes for less than $50. We used several widgets and added calendarwiz. It works pretty well for us.

I have it all set up now, just have to pick a theme I was about to ask you if you recommend any for lodgings. I will look into the links you posted. THANK YOU!

I have it all set up now, just have to pick a theme I was about to ask you if you recommend any for lodgings. I will look into the links you posted. THANK YOU!.
I will email you some other information about plug ins you should install.

Back