Website without online booking?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rezplanet

Reaction score
Hi,
Just a quick question, how many B&B's actually have websites without any online reservation capability? Is there a reason for not having it? I've been told that the website is too "impersonal".. does anyone agree?

I get about 95% of my reservations from Webervations. A few folks call, and I don't hear from 50% of them again. (no reservation made) Some ask questions that are clearly on our website, but I am polite and answer their questions, nonetheless.
Carol

Website impersonal? Not at all...a website is an absolute necessity. You make it as personal as you want it to be.

Website impersonal? Not at all...a website is an absolute necessity. You make it as personal as you want it to be..
Did he mean, having a website in general is too impersonal or having online reservation capability is too impersonal?

First, a website is almost mandatory these days - impersonal or not....
And having online reservations AVAILABLE is also a must...those that do not have it are loosing out I am afraid. Impersonal maybe, but it does not mean the person HAS to go that route...there is still (at least with most B&Bs) the phone number, with a person waiting to assist (except for overnight hours).

Of the seven B&B's in my area, one has online reservations (me). One has no website at all.
=)
Kk.

if a business offers the option of calling instead of reserving online, or in addition to reserving online - there's nothing impersonal about that. it's about convenience and choice.
so alan, why don't you explain your business offering since i assume that is why you are here?

Yes Alen we do not mind vendors IF they come here and fully disclose why....
I did take a look at your site... very basic discriptions here so not much I can really tell. The demo is VERY basic and non informative with no demo as to how making a reservation would look to the guest. Do the guests put in their credit card info and if so what type of security is in place? Are there any reports provided by the system?
I spent maybe 5 minutes on your site, and these are just a few questions that should be made available for the pospective buyer. For well over $200 a year at the cheapest, it needs lots more bells and whistles than what I could see.

Looks like someone here is trying to promote their own business. Of course everyone needs on line availability. iT is not impersonal..it is the way to do business. Those that don't have it are out of touch with reality in my mind.

To be honest, we don't have a solution to this at all, we just have a standard impersonal reservation system. But it made me think when someone mentioned it. Just wanted to get some opinions on how big an issue it was. (not necessarily with just our system)
Personally, when booking accommodation I want to get it done as quickly as possible, so having to call a number generally puts me off. But I could see why the owners of smaller properties might want to chat with the guest first?
Or is this a total non-issue?

Thanks,
Alan

To be honest, we don't have a solution to this at all, we just have a standard impersonal reservation system. But it made me think when someone mentioned it. Just wanted to get some opinions on how big an issue it was. (not necessarily with just our system)
Personally, when booking accommodation I want to get it done as quickly as possible, so having to call a number generally puts me off. But I could see why the owners of smaller properties might want to chat with the guest first?

Thanks,
Alan.
rezplanet said:

Thanks,
Alan
you are not really making any sense. what is the question you are asking? are you asking if guests think online reservations are impersnaol? if guests think websites are impersonal? if b&b owners think online booking is impersonal? what's the question?

Thanks,
Alan.
rezplanet said:

Thanks,
Alan
you are not really making any sense. what is the question you are asking? are you asking if guests think online reservations are impersnaol? if guests think websites are impersonal? if b&b owners think online booking is impersonal? what's the question?
Sorry, I'm asking if guesthouse owners think online reservations are too impersonal such that they won't use them.

Thanks,
Alan.
rezplanet said:

Thanks,
Alan
Sorry, I'm asking if guesthouse owners think online reservations are too impersonal such that they won't use them.
rezplanet said:
what's a guesthouse? Are you talking about people who rent a whole house to someone? There is a company here in Charlottesville that does that. They have a website and online booking but I think they request you call them, I'm not sure.
Riki

Thanks,
Alan.
rezplanet said:

Thanks,
Alan
There are a few out there who still resist on line...feel they must talk to a potential guest...but they are "old school" and I think the minority now. Anyone in this business MUST in my opinion, have it.

I think these are things you should have researched BEFORE starting your business....and this sounds like the lead in to a pitch.

Thanks,
Alan.
rezplanet said:

Thanks,
Alan
rezplanet said:
many small property owners do think the online reservations are too impersonal. for many owners they want to *vet* the guests before they arrive to weed out undesirables. tht doesn't work but they think it will.

9 times out of 10 if I have to call to book a room I will pass and go on to the next one that has online reservations.

I do not have online booking. I like to have the personal one on one communication. I want to hear their voice. I can tell alot about a person just by their voice and how they communicate with me when I ask certain questions. I have a "no children" policy, and a "no pet" policy. My rooms are "couples only". If someone books online and then shows up with children or dogs, or more people than I take....this would pose a problem. I prefer to do all of my own booking. So far so good!

I do not have online booking. I like to have the personal one on one communication. I want to hear their voice. I can tell alot about a person just by their voice and how they communicate with me when I ask certain questions. I have a "no children" policy, and a "no pet" policy. My rooms are "couples only". If someone books online and then shows up with children or dogs, or more people than I take....this would pose a problem. I prefer to do all of my own booking. So far so good!.
hiddencove said:
I do not have online booking. I like to have the personal one on one communication. I want to hear their voice. I can tell alot about a person just by their voice and how they communicate with me when I ask certain questions. I have a "no children" policy, and a "no pet" policy. My rooms are "couples only". If someone books online and then shows up with children or dogs, or more people than I take....this would pose a problem. I prefer to do all of my own booking. So far so good!
You are losing bookings for sure. I work during the week at the University of Virginia. Our med school sends students out for 22 days at a time on clerkships. They unrealistically give me $40 per night to house the students, but I am not allowed to put them in motels as they are "not safe" for these delicate 25 year olds.
The best way for me to find housing that will accept $40 per night - SOMETIMES $55 (I tell them no breakfast, no fluffs, no goodies in the rooms) are those without website online booking and those without websites. Any I find that will take them are those out in the middle of nowhere or those without online booking and I have the students pack up and come home on the weekends.
But those inns that have websites with online booking are all able to charge much higher rates for their rooms and would never take these kids at that daily rate. Why? Because they are getting bookings. The others are not getting bookings and do take them.
And I have found talking to them does nothing to stop them bringing children. That's already happened. I had one book him and his wife. Showed up with his 16 year old son. Divorced. Here for graduation. They will lie to you to get the room on the phone just as much as online.
RIki

Back