Websites that make your eyes cross

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Good intentions are rubbish when it comes to websites. I cannot stand it anymore! I am looking at just a couple B&B websites. There are 4 of us, so I need to know max occup per room IMMEDIATELY, or if children are not allowed IMMEDIATELY.
I am having to pop up these tiny blurry photos over and over. Then open threebrowser windows ON MY OWN (which means cut n pasting the url) to be able to see the price and room details. The rooms page go not give prices, nor max occup nor a link to book a dang room. I open weberv and there are no descrip or room pics, so I can't remember which is which. HORRIBLE! I have to read ENTIRE paragraphs to find the size of the bed!
Goofy headers that have nothing to do with the place - just get in my way! screwy fonts all over the place in gold an green and italics and scripts. Will I tell them their website sucks? NO, I will close the three windows and move on.
Absence of proof is not proof on absence.

Yep, that's what I've been going through too (minus the kid part). I've given up on finding a B&B for this trip, we are just going to stay at a hotel
sad_smile.gif

Last night we had a family that has a 2-guestroom B & B in Wisconsin who is the ultra-eco type. They called here because we are eco. This morning he told me he had found another one tha said they were eco but the web site told him nothing so he came here. I KNOW the other inn and they are eco to the nth degree. The other inn is way over the edge with eco and would have been right up this couple's alley - but the web site.....

Some websites are so bad that I have a hard time understanding how the Innkeeper(s) can't see that! I would think that you would visit other websites and see what they look like and what info they are posting and then try to make your as good if not better.

Hands down, the worst B&B website is this one, complete with background music. The place itself looks all right, but the website is so off-putting that I'd hesitate staying there.

It's in NYC. Funny how they neglect to include their location anywhere on the site.
I guess they were trying to emulate the chaoticness of Times Square.

Did you guys notice it says Please note; we are not serving Breakfast at this time

Their address is on the bottom of the first page, yes it's in Manhattan. WOW is all I can say!

Did you guys notice it says Please note; we are not serving Breakfast at this time

Their address is on the bottom of the first page, yes it's in Manhattan. WOW is all I can say!.
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Their address is on the bottom of the first page, yes it's in Manhattan.
I don't see the address at all. All I see at the bottom of the page are two large images of the entrance hallway and the parlor.
ETA: I'm using Firefox.

Their address is on the bottom of the first page, yes it's in Manhattan. WOW is all I can say!.
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
I don't see the address at all. All I see at the bottom of the page are two large images of the entrance hallway and the parlor.
tle041 said:
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Under the guest book there's a box that says "click here to enter", it's like wings that are waving.

Wow. I totally missed that button to enter the site. The home page is even worse.
I ran across that website when I was looking for accomodations for a trip to NY. Needless to say, I passed on it. I didn't have the patience to decipher the mess to get information about the place. For B&B owners making their websites, this one should serve as an example of what not to do.

i love the bouncing letters in the middle of the page! wow .......
then you click to enter the site and it's slightly less like a vegas marquee but very very busy. and you can listen to the music etc.
haha
regular_smile.gif

it's almost like it's as over the top as possible on purpose. the place actually looks kind of neat.

Hands down, the worst B&B website is this one, complete with background music. The place itself looks all right, but the website is so off-putting that I'd hesitate staying there..
OMG
wow.gif
Tell me you don't think this is the best web site!!! RIGHT!!! See what I mean. Can you believe someone actually thinks this web site will attract guests to them???? Come on folks!!!! Open your eyes and your minds.

omg_smile.gif
omg_smile.gif
omg_smile.gif
oh my goodness! I don't even know what to comment on first! It is so much of everything all at once! Tooonnnyyyyy! Are you on here??

I think my favorite part (tongue in cheek) is the giant "e" with the word "mail" circling it.

Speaking of web sites, my web designer would like to know the headingd that I would like. What would you consider the most important--because I am on a budget afterall.
I am thinking:
Home
Rooms/Rates
Special packages
What else would be good to have because I definitely don't want my web site looking like the one noted by Bree.

Speaking of web sites, my web designer would like to know the headingd that I would like. What would you consider the most important--because I am on a budget afterall.
I am thinking:
Home
Rooms/Rates
Special packages
What else would be good to have because I definitely don't want my web site looking like the one noted by Bree..
You also want a 'Contact' link & page. 'Area attractions' is another good one. I know each additional page is more money, but each additional page with NEW and DIFFERENT content gives you that much more chance of being found by guests searching.
Make sure your designer is optimizing each page. You do NOT want your 'home' page to say 'Home page' in the title bar at the top of the browser. Each photo has to have an 'alt' tag with text that tells what the photo shows (this helps in a number of ways...if the pic doesn't load, it tells the viewer what should have been there, if the viewer is using voice software to read the page to them, they know what the picture is, and it gives you another place to put a well-constructed, searchable description). You have to have a title and a heading on each page. And a description that will be what guests see on a Google search, so make sure it is good English, not a bunch of keywords strung together.
Make sure your address is NOT only listed in a jpg or gif file. It has to be readable by spiders, not just humans. (Sorry, you didn't ask for all of that.)
(PS- wasn't me who found the website that made eyes cross... I get blamed for enough around here...)

I am thinking:
Home
Rooms/Rates
Special packages
What else would be good to have because I definitely don't want my web site looking like the one noted by Bree..
Here's mine. I did it in Dreamweaver. http://www.oakcreekbnb.com
I'm coming up #1 in Google and Yahoo for my area.

I am thinking:
Home
Rooms/Rates
Special packages
Here's mine. I did it in Dreamweaver. http://www.oakcreekbnb.com
Proud Texan said:
Here's mine. I did it in Dreamweaver.
PT You have done an excellent job on your website! I mean that. It is very inviting. Everything is in the right place - so clickable. I looked for what I wanted and clicked and there it was, EVERY time. Not overwhelming, not wordy, not crazy fonts and colors that distract you, concise, welcoming, it is really nice! I hope it brings many fascinating guests to your cabin doors!
Innkeepers forget that the presentation online to guests is what brings them in, no matter what happens once they are there - we have to get them to book a room first! The rest is gravy. :)

Back