Wedding pictures at B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbirds

Reaction score
Happy Friday! We had a call this week from a Bride wanting to use our home for their wedding pictures. We're entertaining the idea of doing this, but don't quite sure know how much to charge. Any advice? Do any of you do this?

Inside or outside?
Is your B & B so distinctive it would be recognizable from the outside? Would the photo shoot location, if outside, be disruptive to your B & B business? If disruptive, is there enough money to make it worth it?
None of the above applies to me. Just thought I would throw out some questions to ask before saying yes, no, or setting a price.

Just did it last weekend and as soon as the photog sends the pics over I will share. She offered to pay as this couple were getting married at a little brick church with no photo ops really. I requested a couple emailed copies of the pics to use on my blog and website and we can recipricate links. She was over the moon with that idea!
Well turned out, as I was gone when they arrived, that it was a US Marine in full dress and his bride. The breakfast table the next day was very excited about seeing this photo shoot in our gardens.
Before accepting, I made sure it was not a wedding PARTY as we had this a couple times and they took over the property and were VERY loud nothng bad, just laughing and enjoying themselves (Oh and requesting to use our bathroom! We don't have a public bathroom, I tell them this upfront now).
I have also allowed prom kids here to photo shoot outside, that is even worse, it ends up about 8 to 10 couples, their parents, aunts uncles etc and fills up the parking lot (So I tell them where they can park in advance). I have no idea why they all came along, but they did! So from those seniors the word is spread and it has become an annual occurrence. I will ask for some of those pics as well. Just because they are probably better quality images than what I take.
Hope it works out for you! I figure in my case it is word of mouth advertising, each person who gets a copy of the photo or photos will be told where it was taken.

Just did it last weekend and as soon as the photog sends the pics over I will share. She offered to pay as this couple were getting married at a little brick church with no photo ops really. I requested a couple emailed copies of the pics to use on my blog and website and we can recipricate links. She was over the moon with that idea!
Well turned out, as I was gone when they arrived, that it was a US Marine in full dress and his bride. The breakfast table the next day was very excited about seeing this photo shoot in our gardens.
Before accepting, I made sure it was not a wedding PARTY as we had this a couple times and they took over the property and were VERY loud nothng bad, just laughing and enjoying themselves (Oh and requesting to use our bathroom! We don't have a public bathroom, I tell them this upfront now).
I have also allowed prom kids here to photo shoot outside, that is even worse, it ends up about 8 to 10 couples, their parents, aunts uncles etc and fills up the parking lot (So I tell them where they can park in advance). I have no idea why they all came along, but they did! So from those seniors the word is spread and it has become an annual occurrence. I will ask for some of those pics as well. Just because they are probably better quality images than what I take.
Hope it works out for you! I figure in my case it is word of mouth advertising, each person who gets a copy of the photo or photos will be told where it was taken..
did you charge for the photo shoot?

Hope it works out for you! I figure in my case it is word of mouth advertising, each person who gets a copy of the photo or photos will be told where it was taken..
Redbirds said:
photos, word of mouth and reciprical link. If it becomes a frequent occurence I might charge next time.

Redbirds said:
photos, word of mouth and reciprical link. If it becomes a frequent occurence I might charge next time.
That is why I asked if the B & B would be recognizable - advertising with every view of the photos. The down side would be if it became a frequent happening and how disruptive it would be. These are things only the innkeeper can answer.

i WOULD charge THEM SOMETHING. iT IS GOING TO TAKE MORE TIME THAN YOU THINK AND THEY WILL WANT SOMETHING FROM YOU...REALLY!
You are providing a "set" for photos..that has to be worth something. Doesn't have to be alot but make them realize they can't spread the word that you are a pushover for a photo shoot location.

Redbirds said:
That is why I asked if the B & B would be recognizable - advertising with every view of the photos. The down side would be if it became a frequent happening and how disruptive it would be. These are things only the innkeeper can answer.
gillumhouse said:
No it would not be recognizable as they would all be closer up shots or bride and groom on porch, near pond, near tree, etc. But people would ask and they would tell. So that is all I am doing it for, goodwill to the town and a chance at someone staying here on THEIR wedding night. If I get in with the wedding photog she can recommend us for wedding nights.
Drawback is then certain folks think we host weddings, which we don't. But they all think we still do anyway, and I continue to get the calls. The next owner here can have a hay day hosting small intimate weddings, they can be as busy as they want to be. I have a family and this plus raising them is more than enough.

Also this might be a good oppty to hand out rack cards and or special discounts for bride and groom. I see it as a win win, just depends on how much you want to market it.
PO's used to send out rack cards to any announcements in the paper under engagements. I don't know how they did it other than knowing the families. I think this is a great idea, if you can get addresses. somehow.

Are they staying there overnight, as well? What about charging them a typical room night, since if they were to book overnight they'd probably be hanging around taking photos anyway.
That way it's a justifiable number and encourages them to stay there if they want their money's worth.
That's assuming they just want to use the exterior, no set-up, no getting in your way. Anything more than that, or anything that would disturb your guests, I think you have a right to charge more.
I think this also depends on the going rate for renting a wedding space in your area. Some brides will pay thousands for a pretty backdrop, so you'd be a bargain!

I say $1,200 an hour ... give or take.
teeth_smile.gif

Back