Wedding problem/nightmare

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have some wedding guest here in the 2 br suite. Wedding is tomorrow, they just were told the flowers are in Colorado. Ordered them from a well known warehouse. Were in Virginia. When they relayed this awful event to me I said who lives in Colorado......no one they know ! I guess life can get worse than a bad review. Bride is in tears, I hear.They're not sure what they'll do ? Mary in Bwater.

Are they in touch with the floral company? Is there a place they can get flowers from a local person near you? Emergency flowers? If so, that floral company should refund the bride AND buy her flowers from the local person. Their screw-up, they should cover it.

Are they in touch with the floral company? Is there a place they can get flowers from a local person near you? Emergency flowers? If so, that floral company should refund the bride AND buy her flowers from the local person. Their screw-up, they should cover it..
Your right. I'll talk to them when they come back. I did ask what are you all going to do now?(before they left)" Not sure" and out the door, should return at 9pm. Mary in Bwater

if they left without asking your advice, i assume they were off to various florists to do what they could. i have a great relationship with a local florist and would be on the phone to them asap.
i don't know what is in your area, but i have got some amazing flowers from a local SUPERMARKET. have purchased roses, hydrangeas, stargazer lillies, tulips, mums, daisies, lemon grass and lemon leaves in a pinch, matching the colors as best one can using lots of carnations.
here is a link to an article about using supermarket flowers. trader joes and whole foods have nice flowers, low prices. really, quite lovely. if they don't panic!

Maybe I'm just being "cold" but how important are a multitude of flowers to a wedding anyway? Assuming a bride has something to carry in her hands, no matter how trivial the arrangement, does the rest of the celebration have to be covered with floral arrangements? Granted, I've not been married and we do get 2 dozen roses for $5 to $8 on every street corner here every day - Miami is the port where flowers are imported from South America, So, perhaps I take flowers for granted given how cheap and readily available they are. But if it were me, I wouldn't fret over it. Again, that's just me. We have fresh flowers all over the place every day because it's the "norm" here.
Not having flowers wouldn't ruin my day; not having a groom would.

Maybe I'm just being "cold" but how important are a multitude of flowers to a wedding anyway? Assuming a bride has something to carry in her hands, no matter how trivial the arrangement, does the rest of the celebration have to be covered with floral arrangements? Granted, I've not been married and we do get 2 dozen roses for $5 to $8 on every street corner here every day - Miami is the port where flowers are imported from South America, So, perhaps I take flowers for granted given how cheap and readily available they are. But if it were me, I wouldn't fret over it. Again, that's just me. We have fresh flowers all over the place every day because it's the "norm" here.
Not having flowers wouldn't ruin my day; not having a groom would..
Agree.
We had a mature couple staying with us a few weeks ago, who got married on Dores beach at the end of Loch Ness during their stay. There was a piper playing traditional Scottish music, the minister and the brides daughter and boyfriend as witnesses.
It was an absolutley lovely little ceremony they had, and before they left here the bride asked if she could pick a few flowers from our garden for her to hold. Of course I said yes.
Afterwards she told me she threw the "bouquet" into Loch Ness.
There are a couple of photos on our Blog at po tter yhou sebb dot blo gspo t dot c om

Not having flowers wouldn't ruin my day; not having a groom would..
Agree.
We had a mature couple staying with us a few weeks ago, who got married on Dores beach at the end of Loch Ness during their stay. There was a piper playing traditional Scottish music, the minister and the brides daughter and boyfriend as witnesses.
It was an absolutley lovely little ceremony they had, and before they left here the bride asked if she could pick a few flowers from our garden for her to hold. Of course I said yes.
Afterwards she told me she threw the "bouquet" into Loch Ness.
There are a couple of photos on our Blog at po tter yhou sebb dot blo gspo t dot c om
At 9 pm last night when they returned, they told me the weddings in D.C..She had ordered sun flowers for the wedding and now has some real/some artifical sun flowers. Actually saved them alot of money, as it turns out
teeth_smile.gif
Mary in Bwater

They are staying with you and getting married in D.C.??????? That is weird. Why didn't they stay in D.C. or at least a bit closer????? No offense to you. Too bad they had a problem...but honestly...it isn't your problem. You can express your concern...maybe send them to Costco????

They are staying with you and getting married in D.C.??????? That is weird. Why didn't they stay in D.C. or at least a bit closer????? No offense to you. Too bad they had a problem...but honestly...it isn't your problem. You can express your concern...maybe send them to Costco????.
I'am laughing about the Costco comment.......guess where they ordered the sunflowers from...Yes, I thought the wedding was here also.As they were running back and forth from the brides parents home here,rehearsal dinner here,etc. But the wedding is in D.C. 2 hours away..Mary in Bwater.

They are staying with you and getting married in D.C.??????? That is weird. Why didn't they stay in D.C. or at least a bit closer????? No offense to you. Too bad they had a problem...but honestly...it isn't your problem. You can express your concern...maybe send them to Costco????.
I'am laughing about the Costco comment.......guess where they ordered the sunflowers from...Yes, I thought the wedding was here also.As they were running back and forth from the brides parents home here,rehearsal dinner here,etc. But the wedding is in D.C. 2 hours away..Mary in Bwater.
ooops...not good planning. Guess they never looked at a map:-(

I'll throw this in here under 'wedding issues'...just had a call for someone who wants to bring their dog, but leave the dog all day and night while they go to a wedding. No can do. So I ask where the wedding is figuring I can find her some place close. She tells me and I tell her they take pets. Then she tells me thier wedding policies:
  • Wedding party can only book rooms over the function room where the wedding is held
  • All rooms are $275/night
  • All music, dancing, food service is over at 10 PM
  • If ANY other room complains about noise ANYWHERE, the wedding rooms are required to reimburse those guests for the cost of their rooms
There are multiple weddings at this venue every weekend.

i sympathize with the bride and groom, or whomever planned the wedding.
when you plan a wedding or an event, and something goes wrong, it seems like the end of the world. of course it's not ... but, at the time, under stress, it feels like it is.
the morning i was getting married, the classic guitarist i hired had his wife call to say he was too sick to perform during the ceremony and at the reception. i hired him and a violinist (sp) and cellist (sp). then the cellist did not arrive ... i didn't realize his ride was with the sick guitarist and he got the wrong message and didn't even try to get to me on his own because he thought without the guitarist, i wouldn't want him. !! i ended up having to use the church organist ( i specifically did NOT want her to play but i won't go into why) and asked that she play a little piano instead of organ and just accompany the others. did anyone else know there had been a last minute switch? no. there were a couple songs they couldn't play and i was sad. did anyone else but my new husband and the other musicians know? no. but, to me, rushing around that morning trying to find a replacement was stress i didn't need and i admit to being disappointed.

Since we are talking weddings, we just had our first. Went great: couple very savvy, made good choices about what could be done on site (and had their dog stay home with a friend). Very unusual wedding cake.

when you plan a wedding or an event, and something goes wrong, it seems like the end of the world. of course it's not ... but, at the time, under stress, it feels like it is.
the morning i was getting married, the classic guitarist i hired had his wife call to say he was too sick to perform during the ceremony and at the reception. i hired him and a violinist (sp) and cellist (sp). then the cellist did not arrive ... i didn't realize his ride was with the sick guitarist and he got the wrong message and didn't even try to get to me on his own because he thought without the guitarist, i wouldn't want him. !! i ended up having to use the church organist ( i specifically did NOT want her to play but i won't go into why) and asked that she play a little piano instead of organ and just accompany the others. did anyone else know there had been a last minute switch? no. there were a couple songs they couldn't play and i was sad. did anyone else but my new husband and the other musicians know? no. but, to me, rushing around that morning trying to find a replacement was stress i didn't need and i admit to being disappointed..
It's not a whole lot different from doing what we do...we try to make everything perfect and sometimes there's enough stress floating around that even one small thing being off throws us into a tizzy. In the grand scheme of things, no one probably notices or cares, but WE do.
And it's always the small things. Most everyone can laugh at the colossally large things that go wrong.

When I worked in bit hotels we did at least 2 weddings a week (I hate weddings and valentines day for this reason) there was the wedding the laundry delivered all the wrong napkins, the wedding where the train part of the brides dress stitching came undone so I was up the back of the brides dress fastening her train on (luckily bride a really good sport generally and thought it was hilarious ie whole hotel staff up the back of her dress jokes etc) the wedding at a local hotel which had to be booked out to another local hotel as the original one caught fire 3 days before, I spent a lot of time pinning brides back into dresses (they don't make them sturdy enough) One we had bought 3 brand new cots for and no staff had kids and we couldn't operate them I had to go and get my dad who is an enginere to do it. finding drunk people asleep in the corridors. general rain, the one with outside caterers who stole all the utensils and first aid boxes when they left. The list is endless!

the morning i was getting married, the classic guitarist i hired had his wife call to say he was too sick to perform during the ceremony and at the reception. i hired him and a violinist (sp) and cellist (sp). then the cellist did not arrive ... i didn't realize his ride was with the sick guitarist and he got the wrong message and didn't even try to get to me on his own because he thought without the guitarist, i wouldn't want him. !! i ended up having to use the church organist ( i specifically did NOT want her to play but i won't go into why) and asked that she play a little piano instead of organ and just accompany the others. did anyone else know there had been a last minute switch? no. there were a couple songs they couldn't play and i was sad. did anyone else but my new husband and the other musicians know? no. but, to me, rushing around that morning trying to find a replacement was stress i didn't need and i admit to being disappointed..
It's not a whole lot different from doing what we do...we try to make everything perfect and sometimes there's enough stress floating around that even one small thing being off throws us into a tizzy. In the grand scheme of things, no one probably notices or cares, but WE do.
And it's always the small things. Most everyone can laugh at the colossally large things that go wrong.
Morticia said:
yup ... same thing. it's funny .... after.

We are from California and ordered flowers for my sister in laws wedding in Wisconnsin. We ordered them to arrive 2 days before the wedding and they did, right on time. The flowers were not the exact color we ordered, which we could have lived with but also the roses were fully opened and could not be used for what we wanted. and yes, they were from Costco, 100% gaurantee on everything. They contacted a local florist and had them there the day before the wedding, exactly as ordered with no additional cost to us. Great service!
Glad they found something to use!
Jon

Back