Weddings

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I especially like this idea (maybe a good thing for us to stick in a wedding card for our wedding nights/honeymooners?)
$25 gift certificate to use against a return stay at the B&B on your first anniversary.
I like that too. I've given them a business card with the discount on the back but it would be nice to do something special for weddings or anniversaries too for their next anniversary. I'll add it to the list.

Hi all -- I thought I would revive this old topic. One of my thoughts to increase revenue for my future imaginary inn would be to host weddings and corporate events. What do you all think of a policy which would require:
(1) entire inn must be rented out in advance;
(2) rental fee for wedding location (outdoor area, and main floor of lodge for rain location) -- this could be anywhere from $1000-$3000, depending on the area (I know some places here in Atlanta charge a $3k rental fee -- nothing included but the place);
(3) innkeeper contracts out catering and/or event planning company (for food, tables, linens, silver, etc), can work with local catering companies to decide on set menu options -- this way there is no negotiating on what food, linen, etc. choices are available, you have control over what they are allowed to do since you're paying the bill, and you build a working relationship with the local caterer;
(4) innkeeper charges bride for catering, which would include out-of-pocket costs plus additional fees for coordinating;
(5) allow bride to choose her own florist, and work directly with her chosen florist to make sure the florist will be back after the event to take everything away; also offer to handle that for her (again charging additional fees for coordinating);
(6) act as on-site coordinater, which would include coordination of the rehearsal and wedding (for additional fees); perhaps hubby could act as officiant (for additional fees);
(7) allow allow bands/DJs on list of acceptables.
Thoughts? I feel like this would be doable and a great way to increase income, especially if you have separate OQ.

Hi all -- I thought I would revive this old topic. One of my thoughts to increase revenue for my future imaginary inn would be to host weddings and corporate events. What do you all think of a policy which would require:
(2) rental fee for wedding location (outdoor area, and main floor of lodge for rain location) -- this could be anywhere from $1000-$3000, depending on the area (I know some places here in Atlanta charge a $3k rental fee -- nothing included but the place);
(3) innkeeper contracts out catering and/or event planning company (for food, tables, linens, silver, etc), can work with local catering companies to decide on set menu options -- this way there is no negotiating on what food, linen, etc. choices are available, you have control over what they are allowed to do since you're paying the bill, and you build a working relationship with the local caterer;
(4) innkeeper charges bride for catering, which would include out-of-pocket costs plus additional fees for coordinating;
(5) allow bride to choose her own florist, and work directly with her chosen florist to make sure the florist will be back after the event to take everything away; also offer to handle that for her (again charging additional fees for coordinating);
(6) act as on-site coordinater, which would include coordination of the rehearsal and wedding (for additional fees); perhaps hubby could act as officiant (for additional fees);
Thoughts? I feel like this would be doable and a great way to increase income, especially if you have separate OQ..
Great policies! Thanks for bringing this up, as I'd love to do weddings, too.
I got married at an historic estate and they had similar rules regarding caterers and music. They did a ton of weddings (for the spring/summer months, they were booked months in advance for 2/day on weekends and many weeknights), and practically had it down to a science. (By the way, their rates started at the high end of what you're quoting)
kris_pip said:
Unless you love coordinating weddings and have the extra time for it, this would worry me a bit from your perspective. Brides change their minds ALL the time, and the guest list will change up until the day-of. You don't want the trouble of being the middle-(wo)man, plus explaining that they can't return groceries and staff the day-of, etc. so they're going to be charged anyway.
If I were to do this, I'd do a list of approved caterers that you're friendly with, that understand the rules and limitations of the property, and treat it kindly. Some venues have one exclusive caterer. The one we used had a list of 10 with varying price points. They'll love being the exclusive caterer(s) for your property and will work for your business, and that way the brides get some choice and direct involvement, but you won't have to run daily interference.
kris_pip said:
Our venue had set times for drop-off, and a $25/day charge for each item left behind after the end of the rental period. That was incentive enough to make sure we (our caterers) disposed of everything promptly.
kris_pip said:
Great idea to have a list. Our venue had an additional restriction on any amplified music out-of-doors, and any amplification indoors or out after 10PM.
Remember to ask for a security deposit and deduct for each violation!
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
. Glad I'm not the only crazy aspiring who's still hopeful about doing weddings.

Thoughts? I feel like this would be doable and a great way to increase income, especially if you have separate OQ..
I got married at an historic estate and they had similar rules regarding caterers and music. They did a ton of weddings (for the spring/summer months, they were booked months in advance for 2/day on weekends and many weeknights), and practically had it down to a science. (By the way, their rates started at the high end of what you're quoting)
kris_pip said:
Unless you love coordinating weddings and have the extra time for it, this would worry me a bit from your perspective. Brides change their minds ALL the time, and the guest list will change up until the day-of. You don't want the trouble of being the middle-(wo)man, plus explaining that they can't return groceries and staff the day-of, etc. so they're going to be charged anyway.
If I were to do this, I'd do a list of approved caterers that you're friendly with, that understand the rules and limitations of the property, and treat it kindly. Some venues have one exclusive caterer. The one we used had a list of 10 with varying price points. They'll love being the exclusive caterer(s) for your property and will work for your business, and that way the brides get some choice and direct involvement, but you won't have to run daily interference.
kris_pip said:
Our venue had set times for drop-off, and a $25/day charge for each item left behind after the end of the rental period. That was incentive enough to make sure we (our caterers) disposed of everything promptly.
kris_pip said:
Great idea to have a list. Our venue had an additional restriction on any amplified music out-of-doors, and any amplification indoors or out after 10PM.
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
. Glad I'm not the only crazy aspiring who's still hopeful about doing weddings.
stephanie said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
Me, too. I find it interesting that no matter what I read on these posts about all the negatives, I STILL want to do this!!! I must be nuts!!! It is so nice to know that I am not alone on my nutso-road-to-innkeeping!!!! ;)

kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
stephanie said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
Me, too. I find it interesting that no matter what I read on these posts about all the negatives, I STILL want to do this!!! I must be nuts!!! It is so nice to know that I am not alone on my nutso-road-to-innkeeping!!!! ;)
No, you are not alone. You will be joining a choice group of prize nuts. We have Vetnut, VAnuts, several MEnuts, some buckeyes thrown in, some Cannuts, a couple of WVnuts, MOnuts, and Texnuts to name a few.

kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
stephanie said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
No, you are not alone. You will be joining a choice group of prize nuts. We have Vetnut, VAnuts, several MEnuts, some buckeyes thrown in, some Cannuts, a couple of WVnuts, MOnuts, and Texnuts to name a few.
I am in the Buckeye nut category...I will certainly say that innkeepers and their ilk are their own breed!!! (edited to remove a smiley that didn't work)

kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
stephanie said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
If you have the right personality for it, it's a good thing to add to the business. I have stayed at the Walnut Lane Inn in Lyman, SC run by southern gentleman extradoinaire Hoyt Dottry and his partner. They have six or seven rooms and do 35 - 40 weddings a year, handling all the catering themselves. It is a great business for him. Hoyt has the calmest demeanor - I'm sure he's great at dealing with brides and mothers-of. If you know you have a knack for it, it can definitely be part of your business plan (if your site will allow it). It's never been a part of the business I've been interested in, except on a very small scale. I have to say that the two weddings we had here were very gratifying when they were actually on and then over - they were special.

kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
stephanie said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
If you have the right personality for it, it's a good thing to add to the business. I have stayed at the Walnut Lane Inn in Lyman, SC run by southern gentleman extradoinaire Hoyt Dottry and his partner. They have six or seven rooms and do 35 - 40 weddings a year, handling all the catering themselves. It is a great business for him. Hoyt has the calmest demeanor - I'm sure he's great at dealing with brides and mothers-of. If you know you have a knack for it, it can definitely be part of your business plan (if your site will allow it). It's never been a part of the business I've been interested in, except on a very small scale. I have to say that the two weddings we had here were very gratifying when they were actually on and then over - they were special.
AH YES...those Southern Gentleman...they have a way about them and I can truly see them calming down bridal parties:) And...taking it all in good stride. Sorry that isn't me!

kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
stephanie said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
gillumhouse said:
WAnuts, LAnuts, GAnuts, NCNUTS? we haven't had any of them for a while, they must have bailed.
This elopement thing and renewing vows is big right now at B&B's without the full fanfare. If you do some searches you can find lots of info on it. We get a call per week wanting to have a small wedding here. It has happened in the past, so those who went told those who want, and the word of mouth continues. I have some nice prof photos of a couple weddings here - when I went ahhhh that is where they did that. In fact one photog has our place framed up in a couple places, restaurants etc. But it doesn't say what it is. So it is just nice decor.
Remember the weddings of long ago, elegant and cake and punch only. I think THAT is an ideal type for a B&B. Simple and elegant.

kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
stephanie said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
gillumhouse said:
WAnuts, LAnuts, GAnuts, NCNUTS? we haven't had any of them for a while, they must have bailed.
This elopement thing and renewing vows is big right now at B&B's without the full fanfare. If you do some searches you can find lots of info on it. We get a call per week wanting to have a small wedding here. It has happened in the past, so those who went told those who want, and the word of mouth continues. I have some nice prof photos of a couple weddings here - when I went ahhhh that is where they did that. In fact one photog has our place framed up in a couple places, restaurants etc. But it doesn't say what it is. So it is just nice decor.
Remember the weddings of long ago, elegant and cake and punch only. I think THAT is an ideal type for a B&B. Simple and elegant.
My TX inn-mate is really trying to convince me to take that on too - elopements at least, for only 2 people. She charges around $600 and it is not that much work. Her dh is the officiant. It includes a one night stay and some minimal stuff which is a good addition to the bottom line. She is very strict on the time that she allows these too. She has a very grand setting for these though - great photos!

kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
stephanie said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
gillumhouse said:
My TX inn-mate is really trying to convince me to take that on too - elopements at least, for only 2 people. She charges around $600 and it is not that much work. Her dh is the officiant. It includes a one night stay and some minimal stuff which is a good addition to the bottom line. She is very strict on the time that she allows these too. She has a very grand setting for these though - great photos!
The Vetnut was aimed at you for your service to this Country and meant in a positive way (in case there was any question). Thanks for the service you gave.

kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
kris_pip said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
stephanie said:
Good luck
teeth_smile.gif
gillumhouse said:
The Vetnut was aimed at you for your service to this Country and meant in a positive way (in case there was any question). Thanks for the service you gave.
oh...did I say anything about the nuts?? I thought that was cute.
regular_smile.gif
Actually, if I wasn't too old & in the Retired Reserve, I'd consider going back on active duty with the shortage of nurses and all. They haven't gone over 50...yet! Thanks! My dh thanks you too.

Back