Weekly rates

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Do any of you have a weekly rate? Frankly, I don't want guests here that long! I run out of recipes and patience. Usually, if a guest wants a week, I'll throw in a bunch of admissions to different places rather than give a (BIG) discounted rate.
Had a walk-in who wants to stay for 7-10 days. Looking for a weekly rate.
So, how do you calculate a weekly rate? Do you only do that for biz travel?

I sometimes give them 10% off if they stay a week or longer, but it depends on how I'm feeling that day! (oops did I just stay that?)
omg_smile.gif

Our situation is different, of course. We do mostly weekly rentals, and so our problem is calculating what our nightly rate is -- we use 1/5 of our weekly rate as the nightly rate. If you go the other way, 5 nights would be equal to a week (stay 5 nights, get two more nights free....). Maybe too much, though.

I do a weekly rate for LONG-TERM meaning a month or more and working in the area. And a weekly rate GETS NO BREAKFAST - COFFEE ONLY. I only weekly rate my rooms with the shared bath - orphan rooms only. I post the charges on the first 3 days and the rest of the week is 0. If they check out early, I have my money.

We do a weekly rate for our cottage to encourage longer stays since a weekly stay is a lot less work for us. We hike the nightly rate up during the busy season and then discount by $25/night which is about a 7% discount. You are correct about getting sick of seeing the same faces for breakfast every morning for a week, but breakfast is no problem unless they are one of those GF, vegan or really fussy eaters. We do not give discounts in the house since we do not want to encourage long stays so close to us.

We do a weekly rate for our cottage to encourage longer stays since a weekly stay is a lot less work for us. We hike the nightly rate up during the busy season and then discount by $25/night which is about a 7% discount. You are correct about getting sick of seeing the same faces for breakfast every morning for a week, but breakfast is no problem unless they are one of those GF, vegan or really fussy eaters. We do not give discounts in the house since we do not want to encourage long stays so close to us..
It is a GF. Mentioned how long they wanted to stay AFTER I said we do GF. Sigh. Can't not feed them. That's why they're looking at a B&B! But, maybe we won't 'win' in their cruise around town looking for the next best place to stay.

We do a weekly rate for our cottage to encourage longer stays since a weekly stay is a lot less work for us. We hike the nightly rate up during the busy season and then discount by $25/night which is about a 7% discount. You are correct about getting sick of seeing the same faces for breakfast every morning for a week, but breakfast is no problem unless they are one of those GF, vegan or really fussy eaters. We do not give discounts in the house since we do not want to encourage long stays so close to us..
It is a GF. Mentioned how long they wanted to stay AFTER I said we do GF. Sigh. Can't not feed them. That's why they're looking at a B&B! But, maybe we won't 'win' in their cruise around town looking for the next best place to stay.
Oh good grief..this will turn out to be another PITA for you which you don't need. Who needs to deal with GF for a week!!!

Oh good grief..this will turn out to be another PITA for you which you don't need. Who needs to deal with GF for a week!!!
10 days. ;-)

GF for only 10 days gets NO price break. IF you do brekkie for them, give them fried, boiled, & poached eggs and some rice cakes and fruit. May the choose a (ahem!) "better inn". Let someone else get the PITA!!!

GF for only 10 days gets NO price break. IF you do brekkie for them, give them fried, boiled, & poached eggs and some rice cakes and fruit. May the choose a (ahem!) "better inn". Let someone else get the PITA!!!
It would only be a different breakfast every other day. But I really only have 2 GF breakfasts that don't involve eggs. I would guess we won't 'win' because I really think he's looking for a week for about $700.

I do weekly rates for business guests. If others want a discount, it is what I would do if someone asks for one of the multitude ( AAA, AARP, you name it) and give 10%, unless it is in our slow time and the pockets need some padding, then may do 15%.
If these people are wanting a room NOW and you have a room open NOW and don't think it will be filled each day for the 10 days, why not discount a little. BUT if they are looking for a stay in the future and want you to set a price in stone, don't.
Don't worry if you need to repeat breakfast while they are there. REALLY!

I opened in 2007, just before the crash. During the 2 years of paperwork and remodeling prior to opening, 2 new hotels were built and opened for business. Another (this town's second B&B) opened before I did, getting a head start in part because of the lawyer I hired to straighten out the health department. Then a decree came from on high at the university down the street that any department wishing to be reimbursed for business guests would have to house them in the student union. And this is not a touristy town in a state not known for tourism.
Sooo, I have never had a decent occupancy rate. I'm fortunate in that I have my savings to supplement what I don't pay myself and the B&B pays for utilities, property tax, business insurance, etc. I really hate that this makes my enterprise a "lifestyle" instead of a "real" business because I am running it in a professional way.
That being said, when I get a guest, whether business or some other reason who wants to stay a week or more, its not uncommon for me to discount 40-50%. That is about the rate they could get at one of the motels. My long-term (that is 10-15 days) guests are in rooms that for the most part would otherwise be empty and earning $0. Some of my nicest and most interesting guests have been the long-term ones. Even at that level of discounting, people who are looking for a place to stay for a month or so balk at the rate, so, since 2 weeks is about the most I feel comfortable with, I think I have priced things right for this market. As Maddie says, "Your mileage may vary"
The majority of my guests are one nighters, and I find myself cooking the same breakfast over and over, so the long-termers also give me an opportunity to stretch my cooking skills. I also love changing sheets every 4-5 days instead of every darn day.

I opened in 2007, just before the crash. During the 2 years of paperwork and remodeling prior to opening, 2 new hotels were built and opened for business. Another (this town's second B&B) opened before I did, getting a head start in part because of the lawyer I hired to straighten out the health department. Then a decree came from on high at the university down the street that any department wishing to be reimbursed for business guests would have to house them in the student union. And this is not a touristy town in a state not known for tourism.
Sooo, I have never had a decent occupancy rate. I'm fortunate in that I have my savings to supplement what I don't pay myself and the B&B pays for utilities, property tax, business insurance, etc. I really hate that this makes my enterprise a "lifestyle" instead of a "real" business because I am running it in a professional way.
That being said, when I get a guest, whether business or some other reason who wants to stay a week or more, its not uncommon for me to discount 40-50%. That is about the rate they could get at one of the motels. My long-term (that is 10-15 days) guests are in rooms that for the most part would otherwise be empty and earning $0. Some of my nicest and most interesting guests have been the long-term ones. Even at that level of discounting, people who are looking for a place to stay for a month or so balk at the rate, so, since 2 weeks is about the most I feel comfortable with, I think I have priced things right for this market. As Maddie says, "Your mileage may vary"
The majority of my guests are one nighters, and I find myself cooking the same breakfast over and over, so the long-termers also give me an opportunity to stretch my cooking skills. I also love changing sheets every 4-5 days instead of every darn day..
My guess? Unless they call early in the year I'm going to end up bouncing them from room to room so no real savings to be had by me having them here for 10 days. If this time of year is when they tend to travel I might be ok. But in July or August? 10 days of special breakfasts is going to be a pain.

Love longer stays-way less work. We offer 20% discount on 7+ days continious stay in the same bedroom/suite-the only discount we offer (no business rates, AAA, students, seniors, military, etc). For monthly rate -20% and no taxes (becomes rental).

The most I'll do is if they're in the separate cottage, and I'll charge the same as we do a suite in the main house ($20 less per night). One couple had dietary issues so I offered them the same deal ($179 instead of $199) but they provide their own breakfast because there's a kitchen. They went for it and we were both happy!

Back